DAY ONE NOT GONE TOO WELL

Realfoodfans

DIS Veteran
Just back to resort from Animal Kingdom - shattered! DGS refused to go to Guest Services for a DAS so we soldiered on.
Had to leave It's Tough to be a Bug he totally hated it :(
Took a couple of hours to get over it so he didn't really enjoy Kilimanjaro Safari.
Highlight of the day was Festival of the Lion King - DGD sang her socks off.
DH messed up the food order at Restaurantosaurus (no big deal but pay back for all the leg pulling when I've been trying to explain QD).
We ended up just wandering after that and didn't make our FP for Navi - huge disappointment but we bailed and have headed back to the resort for pool time.
Hopefully day 2 will go better!

Sorry for the tough day.
I always say, chuck the plans in the bin if they don't work on the day and try and get back to fun.
I think you did a good job making the best of it.
Good luck with tomorrow

Where are you headed for Day 2? AK is a great place for wandering - did you try the animal trails?

I'm sorry your first day didn't go well. I don't know that this will help you feel better, but there have been plenty of times when we've had to just chuck all our plans and go back to the resort to rest or swim. So you are definitely not alone in that. On our very first trip, we had to leave Festival of the Lion King because DD freaked out. And though DD has been to WDW a dozen times, we've never even tried It's Tough to be a Bug.

What was your DGS's objection to going to guest services for the DAS? Maybe we could help you with a way to rephrase how you present it so he'd be more agreeable.

I'm sorry your first day didn't go well. I don't know that this will help you feel better, but there have been plenty of times when we've had to just chuck all our plans and go back to the resort to rest or swim. So you are definitely not alone in that. On our very first trip, we had to leave Festival of the Lion King because DD freaked out. And though DD has been to WDW a dozen times, we've never even tried It's Tough to be a Bug.

What was your DGS's objection to going to guest services for the DAS? Maybe we could help you with a way to rephrase how you present it so he'd be more agreeable.
It was perhaps wrong to have mentioned the photo (he's love it or leave it with photos) and he asks lots of questions as he always wants the full information - and of course he doesn't want to be "different".

It was perhaps wrong to have mentioned the photo (he's love it or leave it with photos) and he asks lots of questions as he always wants the full information - and of course he doesn't want to be "different".
Do they take a picture of the person who the DAS relates to?
I will prepare DS if so. We haven't been since he got a GAC.

Would it help if you said they would take a picture of your whole family? Have the family pose together but the CM zooms in on DGS? You'd have to chat with the CM before bringing DGS up to the counter to explain it.

As for being different, could you emphasize that the DAS will allow him to experience the park like everyone else? It just allows him to wait in line for the ride in a place which is more comfortable for him.

Well then maybe explain the concept of Photopass to him. You are on camera more so in WDW than like, most places on the planet. Does he know that there are cameras all over, everywhere, already?

Well then maybe explain the concept of Photopass to him. You are on camera more so in WDW than like, most places on the planet. Does he know that there are cameras all over, everywhere, already?
Yes I did explain photopass before we came - he saw Russell and was happy to have a picture - we tried at tree of life - no chance - and none today at DHS. However he then met Arneil at POFQ (who we talked about previously) and was thrilled and had a picture- DD thinks it's overload for his SPD.

Do they take a picture of the person who the DAS relates to?
I will prepare DS if so. We haven't been since he got a GAC.
Yes - I wish we could have done it at the resort he's totally happy here at POFQ! Had a better day in DHS today but just did our 3 FP and ate then back to the resort- he wanted to do TSM again and I tried to explain if he had his picture done we could have but he wants me to try and get a FP and go back one evening!

Unless they have changed things, the DAS picture is usually taken with an iPad, which for some people may be easier to deal with/experience than a traditional camera.

I am so sorry you had a rough day. Sadly I can relate. We went sans DAS this year, partly because I though we had finally reach that place where my DS14 wouldn't need it and partly because he doesn't want to need it and be different. This has become a big hot button issue for us lately.

We needed a lot more breaks and short days in general. We ended up decided on our MNSSHP day to forgo our morning plans and just swim and hang out at the resort since the previous day had proved that doing a long day was recipe for failure. Doing just the party was awesome-he had a snit when I tried to push it over get pictures done but after that it was a great evening, we were happy and he loved the Hocus Pocus Spelltacular as I knew that he would. Things got so much better when I slowed it down and let DS do short days it got better. Another thing that helped was snacks from home. We got a Prime Pantry delivery with his favorite snacks that are comfortable and familiar. I think part of the issue-my son at least is that every single thing is different from our routine from the crowds and long hot days right down to riding buses, eating different foods, waking up and going to bed at different times due to the 3 hour time difference. Adding in a few small things that aren't different (and anxiety or frustration inducing) along with shorter days and breaks helped a lot.

We explained to DD that if we told Disney about her tapping and needing to move in specific ways they would let us go in smaller queues so she could do that and also not be in big crowds as much. Since then every time we use it we have described it as being a ride we can go on because we have DD. I didn’t even notice when they took her photo, she was outside on a bench and the cast member just did it on the ipad, no fuss. If the photo really is a problem they will take a photo of someone else in the party as long as that person always rides too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!