Day 38 - Art of Animation vs. DVC

DVC_Dreamer

If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remembe
Pre-Trip Report - 38 days to go before our split stay at BLT and BWV in a two bedroom suite.

Annual Dues vs. Hotel cost

My biggest roadblock to buying DVC were the annual dues. When used to get a room for $99 at Downtown Disney, I figured I could almost get a room for the cost of annual dues. With the opening of the brand new Art of Animation, I was curious of the cost for the suites. Being a family of five, one studio room has always been a challenge. We stayed at CB and Port Orleans and they have a small pull out extra bed. It's not the greatest but it worked when our kids were small.

Art of Animation Suite for our week

I just checked the cost of Art of Animation for our 8 nights in June without the meal plan and it's $5,372.45. In addition, since Art of Animation is further away, we'd deal with buses every day. With our 2 bedroom suite at BLT and BWV, we'll have 8 friends and family. I love this option.:cool1:

DVC By The Numbers

In the end, our DVC purchase was not about the numbers. We worked the numbers. The numbers made my head swim. Bottom line was that we made a decision to enjoy WDW the best way for a many times as we could. We've made it a priority in our life. The one thing in this world for us. We actually enjoy it year round by talking about it all the time.

Does the opening of Art of Animation make you wonder about your DVC purchase?

I want to stay at AoA and use the pool, but I have 2 under 3 so the reasoning isn't about the money.

The idea of the AoA suites was that there would be affordable family sized rooms. :lmao: We knew it wouldn't happen.

DVC vs Value accommodations (for me):

There are many folk out there that believe Disney resorts need to have giant cartoon icons everywhere they look. That's fine for them, however, I'm glad the relaxed, more subtle Disney tones permeate the DVC resorts.

The beds at the value resorts leave too much to be desired for my aging body. When I was in my 20s I could have sacked out on one of those bed/pillows with no cares, but I stayed in a value for 1 night a couple years back and it was so uncomfortable I hardly slept a wink. Moving over to our VWL room was bliss that trip. The first thing I did: take a nap on my VWL bed. :goodvibes

At what they're charging for the value and moderate rooms, even at a discount, I feel DVC is still a good deal for those of us that appreciate the DVC resorts and accommodations and plan on using our points on site for many years to come. My comparison was said and done on the day they announced these family suites. I knew then that the AoA rooms would not hold a comparable value to me as our DVC rooms.

I'm so happy I have DVC otherwise I'd probably get sucked into paying crazy prices for AoA...since I have 4 kids and need the space....

But yayyy for DVC!!! I love the two bedroom villas we stay in! :yay:

I just checked the cost of Art of Animation for our 8 nights in June without the meal plan and it's $5,372.45.
Are you sure that's a room-only reservation and not a package with tickets? AoA's June rack rates are only $345 weekday/$395 weekend. Even if your stay included three weekend nights, the total should be only $3,275 plus or minus, including tax.

http://www.mousesavers.com/artanimation2012.html

Edited to add: Disney Visa holders are getting another 15% off of that in the second half of the month.
http://www.mousesavers.com/disneyresorts.html#disneyvisa

While we've owned DVC since 1995 we still often stay at other resorts, paying cash. Why? I like to experience them all and we live locally so we don't have airfare or driving expense to add in, plus we have admission covered so that's not a factor either. If I were to be only able to choose one "type" of resort, I'd go with DVC every time though for the nicer room and option to get a larger villa.

Are you sure that's a room-only reservation and not a package with tickets? AoA's June rack rates are only $345 weekday/$395 weekend. Even if your stay included three weekend nights, the total should be only $3,275 plus or minus, including tax.

http://www.mousesavers.com/artanimation2012.html

Edited to add: Disney Visa holders are getting another 15% off of that in the second half of the month.
http://www.mousesavers.com/disneyresorts.html#disneyvisa

Your right. I didn't remove park tickets. Still a hefty price tag.
Thanks

The idea of the AoA suites was that there would be affordable family sized rooms. :lmao: We knew it wouldn't happen.

DVC vs Value accommodations (for me):

There are many folk out there that believe Disney resorts need to have giant cartoon icons everywhere they look. That's fine for them, however, I'm glad the relaxed, more subtle Disney tones permeate the DVC resorts.

The beds at the value resorts leave too much to be desired for my aging body. When I was in my 20s I could have sacked out on one of those bed/pillows with no cares, but I stayed in a value for 1 night a couple years back and it was so uncomfortable I hardly slept a wink. Moving over to our VWL room was bliss that trip. The first thing I did: take a nap on my VWL bed. :goodvibes

At what they're charging for the value and moderate rooms, even at a discount, I feel DVC is still a good deal for those of us that appreciate the DVC resorts and accommodations and plan on using our points on site for many years to come. My comparison was said and done on the day they announced these family suites. I knew then that the AoA rooms would not hold a comparable value to me as our DVC rooms.
I agree with you on all your points especially the bed. The king size bed at BLT was awesome! I slept like 'Sleepy'

DVC can save some people money on their WDW stays, no question.

The negative that most do not want to think about is that they are forced to vacation at WDW every year or two. Yes you can bank, yes you can rent out a reservation, but my guess is that like the DDP, people forfeit credits/points.

:earsboy: Bill

AoA vs DVC? No contest. Having said that, we love Nemo and added a night to our October stay at AoA. We're flying in a day early early before our THV/Kidani stay. :rotfl: We don't do the parks on arrival day anyway so I thought, why not?! Plus I odnt want to waste a perfectly good THV day by arriving to the room possibly after 7 pm.

DVC is more for the guest that will come back year after year possibly more than once a year.

AOA will fill a need for families that need a bigger room without committing to Disney for 50 years or more.

In my opinion there is no reason to compare. They both fill a need.

DVC is more for the guest that will come back year after year possibly more than once a year.

AOA will fill a need for families that need a bigger room without committing to Disney for 50 years or more.

In my opinion there is no reason to compare. They both fill a need.

Great point. Only interesting to compare because AOA is new and it wasn't an option when we began our Disney adventures. Now that we're in the year after year camp, DVC is our choice.

DVC can save some people money on their WDW stays, no question.

The negative that most do not want to think about is that they are forced to vacation at WDW every year or two. Yes you can bank, yes you can rent out a reservation, but my guess is that like the DDP, people forfeit credits/points.

:earsboy: Bill

I worried about your "forced" comment for a long time. DW could live there all year long. In my house, when mama's happy I'm happy. :rotfl:

I worried about your "forced" comment for a long time. DW could live there all year long. In my house, when mama's happy I'm happy. :rotfl:

Steve, is that you? LOL sounds like us. We're going in Oct and I'm already planning June 2013 which will be our 1st DVC owner trip! I looked at AoA when a friend booked there and it does not appeal to me. Too 'loud'

Steve, is that you? LOL sounds like us. We're going in Oct and I'm already planning June 2013 which will be our 1st DVC owner trip! I looked at AoA when a friend booked there and it does not appeal to me. Too 'loud'

"When Mama's not happy, nobody's happy" - Jeff Foxworthy

I love the Blue Collar Comedy show. To say my DW is happy at WDW is an understatement. It's what she lives for and I'm cool with being along for the ride. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!