Dateline story on Hotel cribs tonight

beattyfamily

DIS Cast Member
They just did a very interesting story on cribs at hotels in the Disney and Williamsburg areas.

Almost all hotels that they checked had terrible cribs and gave adult sheets. One hotel, the Hyatt (Disney), had a proper crib and sheet. Then 2 other hotels, I think one was the Holiday Inn but I don't remember the other had good cribs but adult sheets. All the rest had terrible cribs and adult sheets.

What upset me most about this story was that none of the managers would talk to the camera except one from Comfort Inn and the other from the Weston, I think. The one from Comfort Inn was fired the very next day and the one from the Weston was commended and they've now made changes with their cribs.

I, myself, will never stay at a Comfort Inn again if that is how they treat an employee who did the best he could under the circumstances. He told Dateline, that it's true that babies shouldn't have adult sheets and he's now aware of it and will try to change it. And he also said that the cribs should be inspected from time to time.

Anyway, I thought you'd all be interested. Hope some of you caught the show.

We're going for a car trip to Sesame Place for a couple of nights in a month and now I will be taking my own travel crib. When I go to WDW in December, I'm going to have to trust the GF and the Hard Rock Hotel (Universal) and the DCL with what kind of crib and sheets they provide us with.

Thanks for listening!

we took ashley (then 6 months old) to disney in january. when you make your reservtions, or if you already have, request a crib. it will actually be a pack and play, not a crib, which was fine with us since that is what she is used to.

YOU need to bring a pack and play sheet as they did not provide us with one. i actually called and asked before we arrived about the sheet. they said that since children can be allergic to different detergents, they do not usually provide the sheet, so we brought ours.

realize that a request is not a guarantee, but i called a few days before we left too and asked at check in. not only was in in our room, but it was assembled, along with a high chair (i asked for that too).

good luck!

We stay at the Contemporary, but have also stayed at the Poly. They have cribs with crib fitting sheets. The Cont. has a metal crib (fitting with the style) but the crib sets were actually Mickey themed comforter sets. My 6 year old could fit into it, that's how big the crib is. I don't really remember the Poly too well, but I remember they do have crib sheets on them. Different style of crib though. So I tihnk it depends on what hotel you are at, as to what kind of crib you get. :p

I was just told that the Poly has Graco Pack-n-Plays. I bought a crib sheet for one. Does anyone know?

When we were there last Sept. We got a wooden crib. Maybe they have both. We were only there one night. But that is what we got, and they could have gotten new ones.

Hey Tinkerbells2000, was the crib you had the metal "mini type" crib? We had that crib last November for our 2 yo dd, can't remember how big it was because I'm hoping she'll still fit in it this trip. If it's big enough for your 6 yo it should be big enough for our dd this time around. We stayed at the Swan then and will be again. My brother's family stayed at BWV and had the same crib for their dd.

I believe most of the deluxe resorts have the 2 types (metal standard crib which is actually smaller that a regular crib and a pack n play). Some people insist that the pack n play is the only crib the resorts have and it's not, many also have the metal crib. (my dd won't sleep in a pack n play). Of course, you mentioned the wooden crib, do you think it was new or older? They told me at the Swan they prefer the metal cribs because they're easier to sanitize.

For the record, they also have bed rails in case anyone was wondering.

I've seen a lot of those stories on hotel cribs (and bed bugs at hotels and the bacteria all over the room, etc), I try not to watch them too much, they turn me into a very paranoid fanatic! But, it's good to check the cribs out.

<font color = red><font size =4>2 more weeks from right now!</font size =4></font color = red>

I stayed at the Poly in Dec. of 99 with my 14mos. old dd. We were given a wooden crib(it was old) They didn't have a crib sheet for it and we were given a flat sheet to put on it. After seeing the Dateline story the other night, I'm sorry I let her sleep in it. I would definately check and see what kind of crib they are offering before you go. :smooth:

jwfla422--- Yes, it was the metal "mini" kind, . My 6 year old fot into it fine with room to spare. The only reason she was in it was because my 1 yr old was afraid of it, so her "big sister" showed her that it was okay. She didn't sleep in it. After I wrote that my 6 yr old was in it, I figured someone might have a problem with that. So just to cover myself, before anyone says anything, it was to show her little sister that there was nothing to be afraid of. My youngest will not sleep in a pack and play either. The wooden one at the Poly wasn't that old. It was up to standards, but it wasn't as nice as the metal ones, (in my opinion)

Well I don't have a problem with a 6 year old using the crib (ha ha,hoping my dd will stay in hers til she's 10)! Of course, just kidding...not.:p

That's great, I just couldn't remember how big the crib was (from only 6 months ago), I would much prefer her to stay in a crib than to sleep with me (we've never done that & I'd rather not even try yet til she's out of a crib), just wasn't sure if she'd still fit and honestly she hasn't grown THAT much in the last 6 mths. I need to make sure to call the hotel to request that.

I do remember bringing a crib sheet though and it was too big, so I don't know if that would be any better than the regular sheets they already use. She didn't really bother the sheet the used last time although I could probably pick up a pack n play sheet somewhere because I bet that's the size of the sheets the porta cribs use.

That is a funny story though about your 6 yr old showing you 1 yr old that the crib was ok, I remember I was convinced when I saw that crib my dd would have nothing to do with it and boy did I eat my thoughts, she slept in it just find (although we did string a clothesline across the room and hung sheets on them so she couldn't see us at naptime and bedtime which worked just fine).

<font color=red><font size = 5> A week from Friday and here we come... </font color></font size>
don-plu01a.gif

Hmm... I wonder if they are the smae crib then. Because the ones at the Contmeporary use a standard crib set for the bedding. IT's a Mickey set. At least the ones that we always got. They had the bumper and all in them. DH just told me that the cribs at the Cont, are full size. So I'm thinking they might be different. But who knows. Have fun. I wish it was me that would be there in a few days, I still have about 118. Oh well...Have a great time.

I believe you can buy little clips to help hold a loose sheet on tightly. They told us about them at the babycare class I took, but I can't remember the specifics. They go under the mattress & hold the two edges of the sheet together so it can't be pulled up.

We stayed at a hotel in Boston with our 4 month old. We brought our own Pack n play with its own little sheet. The funny thing is, housekeeping thought it needed more than that & kept putting a folded adult sheet (with towel for cushioning!) in the crib! Every night I would put it on the sofa & every morning she would put it back in!

It was really sweet and we tipped well :D

Diaper pins can be used to firmly and snugly attach a sheet to the bottom of a crib mattress.

Tinkerbells it may be a different crib, but now I just found out that the S/D just got new cribs to be in with the safety guidelines (wonder if this was a request from Mr. S/D himself). I forgot to put the request on my reservation (figured I'd try to see if my dd still fits in one comfortably), so I just spoke to a reservation agent.

I was told they just got new cribs (metal portacribs) to make sure that their "little ones" are safe. That's nice to know. The S/D always seems to be on top of things.

I have a feeling that a lot of the WDW owned hotels will probably be doing the same in response to that story on Dateline and possibly in response to concerned guests because it is a very important safety issue.

<font color = magenta><font size = 4> One week from Friday and here we come!</font coloer></font size)

mickey16b.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter