DAS With Fibromyalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes at home nothing works, sitting bothers me, so does standing and I can't get comfortable in bed (those are my really bad days) I usually end up taking Tylenol or Advil or sometimes my PMS Pain reliever and that's about all I can do,

What's a rollator? Do the parks rent them out or do they just do strollers, wheelchairs and scooters?

I figure if I were to rent one it would be from Disney only, since that'd be the only place I'd really need it If I did. We're doing nondisney water parks the other days and we're usually in the lazy river at water parks so sitting won't be an issue there :) I'm fine at shopping malls/the outlets since I can usually sit in a change room while trying stuff on or go to the food court.

I was asking because from what I'd read from Disney's site and other people on Facebook the DAS helped them with more than just the line que issues. There's actually a few people in the facebook groups who have used it for their Fibro and came back at a latter time if they had to sit, they went to somewhere near where they could get food, got a drink and sat there. I was really wanting to know more about how about would someone go about getting it, But this is making me feel like everyone seems to think I want it just because I don't want to wait in line which is NOT the case.

Back to bringing your own snacks in the park, can you have a small cooler in your backpack? I was bringing one to FL for our beach day to keep water cold, but has Disney changed their rules on that?

Well bringing my own isn't an option. I don't own a wheelchair and I don't plan to any time soon unless my fibro got so severe that it was 100% necessary. I understand the DAS does't provide a place to sit. That isn't the only reason I wanted it, there are other reasons besides just being tired.

You may bring coolers as long as their dimensions are no larger than 24" x 15" x 18".

A rollator is basically like a walker that has a seat. You can roll it in front of you when you want to walk and it helps to provide some stability/ use your arms a little more than your legs if your legs are tired. Then when you need to sit, you can sit on it. They can be taken through the queues at Disney. Disney does not rent these, but off-site providers do (as well as wheelchairs and ECVs) and it is much cheaper.

The reason people keep telling you to rent something off-site is that you cannot take wheelchairs rented through Disney outside the parks, so you cannot take them to wait for a bus or walk out to your car or other transportation. The parking lots and pick up zones are quite a hike from the front entrances of the parks and can be really rough to walk at the end of a full day when you're already tired. If you rent off-site, you will have your device any time you need it and will likely save money over renting from Disney.

In regards to the DAS, what specific issues do you think it will help you with? Without listing a diagnosis, what symptoms do you have that make waiting in a line difficult/ why can't you wait in long lines? You don't have to share with us, but this is what Disney will ask you. If you do give us more info on how you think it will help you, what you want it for, then people on here may be able to give you more advice.

What's a rollator? Do the parks rent them out or do they just do strollers, wheelchairs and scooters?

I figure if I were to rent one it would be from Disney only, since that'd be the only place I'd really need it If I did. We're doing nondisney water parks the other days and we're usually in the lazy river at water parks so sitting won't be an issue there :) I'm fine at shopping malls/the outlets since I can usually sit in a change room while trying stuff on or go to the food court.

The parks do not rent them but most people recommend renting mobility devices from offsite vendors anyway and you can definitely rent rollators in Orlando. I think there are a few places in Orlando that people here recommend, if you are interested in doing this you should be able to find threads about it here easily.

You will need to go to guest relations and explain why you are unable to wait in the standby line. I recommend you book your fastpasses when the window opens (30 days prior for off site guests) for the attractions you really want to do most or anticipate might have the longest standby lines. There are several websites that can give you advice on which attractions you should book fastpasses for and which ones have shorter standby waits. Good use of the fastpass system can make a huge difference in wait times.

On our last trip I wore my activity tracker and averaged 10 miles of walking each day at the parks. I’m a runner and can run marathons but after 3 days of walking and standing in lines at Disney my lower back starts to hurt pretty bad. If after day 1 at the parks you realize a mobility device such as an ecv might help you enjoy the parks more, then rent one. No one will think less of you for using a wheelchair or ecv and you will feel better. Many many many people use mobility devices. For many it is the only way they can enjoy the parks.

Bottom line--you can ask for the DAS. It may or may not be granted. It is at the discretion of Guest relations at the time you inquire. Most of us here feel it will not be as beneficial as you are imaging. Many of us have used the DAS so have some experience with it. Many of us have used a mobility device, either a one time Disney thing, or full-time.

I suggest bringing the list of outside vendors with you (see sticky post at the top of this forum). You may decide to try the Disney available mobility aids, or if you have a severe flare-up, you may decide you need more help and can contact one of the outside suppliers.

The OP could probably even have it shipped to her hotel, after checking of course. Even leaving it or donating it is cheaper than renting.

The DAS is need-based not DX based two people can have the same DX but different needs I use a DAS ( for a few different reasons) and I know some people with some of my DX that a DAS would not work for them and they do not need one. So with this said all you have said is you need a place to sit well if this is the case then a DAS will not help you. You need to think of why waiting in the standby line is hard for you. what about being in line concerns you? what are your worries? all that you have said is needing a place to sit I get that fibo is more than just needing a place to sit that fatigue is more than just tired but you and only you need to be able to explain to Guest relations why it is more or how waiting outside of the line will help you. ( I would recommend getting a wheelchair and trying without the DAS and if you find this is not helping you then go to GR and say I am having problems in the line because of XYZ I have tried using a wheelchair and it is not helping because of ABC

3 years ago I could go from park opening to park closeing I could do this for days in a row I can not anymore I can not do opening to closing, I have to take a break I have to find some plces to get away form people or I will end up in the ER ( been there done that) and I have no other health problems ( beside the ones I have had for years) I am just getting older Like you like everyone else so you might have to find a way to take a break during the day wether you go back to your hotel or go to a hotel at DIsney ( some of the deluse hotels are so relaxing to just sit and take in every thing or you have a nice sit down meal and really rest. I am not saying this because you have a disability but it does make a rest much more important then you think but because you are getting older and you are not as young as you used to be ( and yes 3 yours can make a bug differents)

yes cooler are allowed in the park my friend uses one very similar to this one https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/..._452&msclkid=56a2c18a4c47104ff0729b5c484818b9. it does a good job of keeping out foot cold all day ( we put a few ice back in the bottom of it) and hang it on the back of her ECV. I cannot bring at when she is not here since it would be heaving for me to carry.

As someone that usees the DAS all it does is help you with aiting in the normal standby line at that is all it does nothing more and nothing less if you have other needs then waving an alternitive place to wait then you need to take the CM at the ride ( I have to do this for a few rides) but the only thing a DAS does is give you a place out side the rides to wait, it does not give you a place to sit it does not make the wait shorter ( I find it make the wai longer) it does not help with the parades it does not help with lines to by food it does not help at the end of the day when you are leaving.

I do want you to have a good time but I do not think the DAS fits your needs like I have been saying. I have over did it and had to go to the ER it is not fun it is something I would not wish on anyone I have had to slow way down I have had to take breaks and trust me I am a park open to park close type of person and this was one of the hardest things for me to give up ( even the ER trip I still did not believe it) but you know what I started to listion to my self I started to not push my self to much I atarted takeing breaks and I had a great time I enjoyed my self I was able to do more since I had more energy and was not spenign all my energy on doing more staying longer not takeing breaks.

I hope you have a great trip I hope it is as pain free at it can be I hope you use the tools you need to make this a great trip/

To put it simply as I have now repeatedly said I DO have other needs than just the energy levels. -I have IBS, Thyroid issues, anxiety that can be triggered at random, (for example I was fine all day, went shopping, had a great day, came home and got worked up over something as simple as forgetting to load the dish before going out tonight) borderline hypoglacemic (and can be Anemic at certain times of the month) and that's still not all. And Leaving the park to "rest" is NOT an option as we are staying TOO FAR away from the park and that travel time would make my anxiety go crazy. No one here knows my body better than I do and I know for a fact that returning to the hotel is going to cause me 100x more stress then having to stay in the park will.

I'm pretty sure enough people have explained how the DAS works and I understand it quite well, so you're just repeating yourself now to make a point and it's NOT helping me at all. Repeating yourself and practically shoving the idea that I don't know my body or that I should go back to the hotel to rest isn't helping me either because I can already tell just from the thought it, that trying to catch a ride back (since again we will Not have our own car and can not rent one) would cause an Anxiety flare up, which would then make my fibro Much Much worse, meaning we wouldn't get back to the park that day and we are Limited on park time. Even if it's scheduled in, just the thought of the idea and trying to make it work for what We want to do is stressing me out right now, so leaving the parks or leaving early is an absolutely NO Not going to happen.

I apprecieate the suggestions, but I said earlier on in this thread that leaving wasn't going to be an option.

You may bring coolers as long as their dimensions are no larger than 24" x 15" x 18".

A rollator is basically like a walker that has a seat. You can roll it in front of you when you want to walk and it helps to provide some stability/ use your arms a little more than your legs if your legs are tired. Then when you need to sit, you can sit on it. They can be taken through the queues at Disney. Disney does not rent these, but off-site providers do (as well as wheelchairs and ECVs) and it is much cheaper.

The reason people keep telling you to rent something off-site is that you cannot take wheelchairs rented through Disney outside the parks, so you cannot take them to wait for a bus or walk out to your car or other transportation. The parking lots and pick up zones are quite a hike from the front entrances of the parks and can be really rough to walk at the end of a full day when you're already tired. If you rent off-site, you will have your device any time you need it and will likely save money over renting from Disney.

In regards to the DAS, what specific issues do you think it will help you with? Without listing a diagnosis, what symptoms do you have that make waiting in a line difficult/ why can't you wait in long lines? You don't have to share with us, but this is what Disney will ask you. If you do give us more info on how you think it will help you, what you want it for, then people on here may be able to give you more advice.
Well, again getting one off property isn't really an option for us, I do know how big the parking lots can be, but as I've said before I Do Not need a wheelchair at the mall -I go to rather large malls here in Canada fairly often- and definitely don't need it at the beach. I am not that severe. If I were I'd have my own already. And since it'd only be for the few days at disney I'd probably just stick with the wheelchair rental over the walker type thing.

You will need to go to guest relations and explain why you are unable to wait in the standby line. I recommend you book your fastpasses when the window opens (30 days prior for off site guests) for the attractions you really want to do most or anticipate might have the longest standby lines. There are several websites that can give you advice on which attractions you should book fastpasses for and which ones have shorter standby waits. Good use of the fastpass system can make a huge difference in wait times.

On our last trip I wore my activity tracker and averaged 10 miles of walking each day at the parks. I’m a runner and can run marathons but after 3 days of walking and standing in lines at Disney my lower back starts to hurt pretty bad. If after day 1 at the parks you realize a mobility device such as an ecv might help you enjoy the parks more, then rent one. No one will think less of you for using a wheelchair or ecv and you will feel better. Many many many people use mobility devices. For many it is the only way they can enjoy the parks.
Lol I'm already counting down the days for the Fast Passes :D -I have been since we were still 200 days out :) I know of all the websites lol, as I've said before I'm very familiar with Disney and other websites/blogs all about disney (most of my photography site is Disney as I'm building it up) , just not with a disability.

Bottom line--you can ask for the DAS. It may or may not be granted. It is at the discretion of Guest relations at the time you inquire. Most of us here feel it will not be as beneficial as you are imaging. Many of us have used the DAS so have some experience with it. Many of us have used a mobility device, either a one time Disney thing, or full-time.

I suggest bringing the list of outside vendors with you (see sticky post at the top of this forum). You may decide to try the Disney available mobility aids, or if you have a severe flare-up, you may decide you need more help and can contact one of the outside suppliers.
I can tell right now it will ONLY be at Disney. I don't EVER use it at the malls here, or outlet malls and they can be pretty big. Yes I KNOW Disney is different, but no one knows my body better than I do.

I still do want to look into it, considering I Do have other issues, being tired is NOT the only one I have. I might check the outside vendors, but I think if I can handle a large mall at home, I can handle the ones in Florida (and yes I've been to them repeatedly so I know the size comparison)

Think of a rollator as a rolling chair that is legal to bring into the parks and even in lines.
https://www.amazon.com/Medline-Fold...=UTF8&qid=1524008334&sr=1-3&keywords=rollator
Here's a link to one on Amazon.

This one is $55 and there is even an "open box" one for $45. They usually aren't rented as they are so cheap to buy. You can check it for free (medical device) when flying.
I'll have to look on the Canadian Amazon as American will be more expensive for me with the exchange rate (plus duty and shipping tends to be Insane) Honestly I don't like the idea of having something like a walker -I'd take a wheelchair first tbh. This is a personal preference for me and my mind is made up on the choice between the two. :) And Buying either probably isn't an option, as it would Only be needed for Disney, not any of the things I do here at home. I just can't afford to spend the $55, use it on vacation once and then get rid of it.

I think in my post I said to spend some times resting wether at your hotel going to a close by ( and some parks you can walk to a nearby hotel) or finding a place to rest in the park but you keep on saying how you were so tired after one day at a park close to your home. This is why I was saying to take some time and rest. ( there is a first aid in each of the parks that you can go in and rest some this might be a good idea for you so you can stay all day) I ( we) just want you to have a great trip and not miss out on things because you think you can go all day none stop.

If you want to try a DAS think of why you can not wait in the standby line then think could a wheelchair salve this ( people that have back problems but need to walk and sit can do this with a wheelchair so they are often told no to the DAS) if a wheelchair will not solve the problem then bring this up to the CM. If the CM say no then go on with your day and use the suggestion the CM gave you if you are finding you are still having a hard time with touring Disney ( the lines) something that you had not thought of comes up then you can go back to GR and talk to them about your needs.

I do hope you have a great time and that you use any tool that will help you have a great time even if you do not want to use a tool.

I’m going to close this thread at this time since there seems to be no more to say on either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter