DAS With Fibromyalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDragon365

Dragon Rider
I was diagnosed with Fibromylagia a little over a year ago, along with that I have anxiety and am currently being checked for thyroid (Runs in the family). I'm planning a girls trip with my two best friends to Disney in the Fall. I haven't been to Disney since being diagnosed (My family opted to take our Family Vacations in Bahamas the year I was diagnosed, and New York last year)

Anyways I was doing some research and discovered about the DAS (or DSA I tend to reverse letters lol) I'm wondering how exactly would I go about getting it? How does it work exactly? I understand if the ride is more than a 30 minute wait you can talk to someone and they can accommodate you? Is it just for rides or characters/dinners too?

My Fibro can sometimes affect my anxiety and between that and having a learning disability words and thoughts tend to get jumbled in my mind when trying to answer questions, especially around people I don't know, and since my parents won't be there to help me out this time I'm nervous about how/what I will be asked. What if I can't answer them clearly enough?

I'm not so severe that I need a wheelchair, walking around actually tends to help because I'm more active and not standing still ready to crash, I'm generally pretty active and fit, - I also find that the Florida heat does a lot better for me vs the Canadian heat where I live. (Yes I know some people find the Florida heat unbearable, but I usually go there in the summer months, and last time we were there I found I could breathe WAY better than I can here at home and I was much more relaxed and feeling good)

Also how does it work with taking the buses and monorail? -It's definitely not something I want to abuse, I just know that for myself personally my energy can change in a matter of minutes as can my pain tolerance and if it comes down to it my parents and friends and I have talked and we all agree it'd be something for me to get as Backup or if there is a really long wait (we do plan on Fast Pass of course but still).

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

NOTE: I know Fibro is harder because it's an unseen auto-immune disease, and there are so many people out there who just don't understand it at all. (Even before being diagnosed I understood it to a point as one of my closest friends has it along with many other auto-immune diseases) And so many who think it's not that big of a deal or think that it isn't a real disability. -I've gotten so many people looking at me and saying "But you're too young" and "What have you been through to bring that on?" or things like that, it's very common for women between 18-25 to be diagnosed and is very often brought on not just by physical things like a car accident but also by trauma and stress. I've gotten so many people who look at me like I'm just complaining to complain, but honestly it can stop people from doing every day tasks that are so simple to do. I know of some who can't even handle much work outside of home because of it. So to anyone reading this who thinks it isn't that big or real of a disability or issue, please think before you make those remarks to someone. Everyone deals with it differently.

I too have fibromyalgia and anxiety. You aren’t alone.

Honestly, you won’t get a DAS based off your stamina concerns. Stamina and mobility issues are addressed with a wheelchair or ECV. Your anxiety might be helped with a DAS, if it impacts your ability to wait in line. You have to explain what happens if you get anxiety in line, not diagnoses when asking for a DAS.

A DAS only works for things with a FP entrance. It is not available for any shows, character meets, or parades that don’t offer FP. It also doesn’t work for transportation, restaurants, or park entry.

You will have a good time. I’ve never used a DAS or a mobility aid, but I will use an ECV if I ever think it will make my day more enjoyable. I’m only 37, but I don’t give a rip what anyone thinks. If you need an aid to enjoy your trip, get it.

I too have fibromyalgia and anxiety. You aren’t alone.

Honestly, you won’t get a DAS based off your stamina concerns. Stamina and mobility issues are addressed with a wheelchair or ECV. Your anxiety might be helped with a DAS, if it impacts your ability to wait in line. You have to explain what happens if you get anxiety in line, not diagnoses when asking for a DAS.

A DAS only works for things with a FP entrance. It is not available for any shows, character meets, or parades that don’t offer FP. It also doesn’t work for transportation, restaurants, or park entry.

You will have a good time. I’ve never used a DAS or a mobility aid, but I will use an ECV if I ever think it will make my day more enjoyable. I’m only 37, but I don’t give a rip what anyone thinks. If you need an aid to enjoy your trip, get it.

Last time we'd gone to Disney I had an injury to my shoulder and a CM suggested we use a stroller for our bags so we did that, if we do it again I might lean on it when walking around like I do on the cart when grocery shopping.

What is an ECV?

My MIL has fibromyalgia and for her it is more of a stamina issue, which is what it sounds like you are describing. That would fall under the mobility category, which does not qualify for DAS. They will probably tell you to rent a wheelchair if you are too tired to walk around or wait in line. You just have to pay attention to what your body is telling you and go with it. It is OK to not go on every single ride if you are too tired. Take lots of breaks and drink plenty of water. It also helped my MIL when she went to let the others go off for a bit and she sat in an air conditioned area for a while. Also DAS is only for rides, not the buses or monorail.

My MIL has fibromyalgia and for her it is more of a stamina issue, which is what it sounds like you are describing. That would fall under the mobility category, which does not qualify for DAS. They will probably tell you to rent a wheelchair if you are too tired to walk around or wait in line. You just have to pay attention to what your body is telling you and go with it. It is OK to not go on every single ride if you are too tired. Take lots of breaks and drink plenty of water. It also helped my MIL when she went to let the others go off for a bit and she sat in an air conditioned area for a while. Also DAS is only for rides, not the buses or monorail.
I definitely don't do every ride, I'm not a fan of roller coasters lol, so finding a place to sit while my friends are on that will help then? I don't mind the heat so that isn't always an issue either but a cool dry place for the random 10-15 minute showers in Florida is always good :) -We lived there for about 7 months when I was younger so we got used to the quick rain showers every day. :D

A scooter
Electric Conveyence Vehicle. It is the electric scooter like they have at the grocery stores.
Ohhh Okay that makes sense :) Thanks.

A DAS is only good inside the park for attractions with fastpass +. This does apply to some character meet and greets, but not all. It will not help at all with dining, monorails, buses, or anything outside the park.

A DAS is for people who cannot wait in a normal queue. You will be given a return time based on the current standby wait time. At that time, you return through the fast pass entrance. If the wait is under 10 minutes, you are usually put through the fastpass queue. Since Disney has been cutting back on benches and seating, you do tend to walk more with a DAS than without one (as you return to the ride twice). You can only have a wait time for 1 attraction at a time.

If stamina is your main concern, as others have mentioned, a mobility device will be your best option. Most lines are streamlined now so you can take it in with you. For those that are not, a CM will provide you a return time. You can also park your wheelchair/ECV in various places throughout the parks and walk around. Before you dismiss the idea, keep in mind that many times the walk to/from transportation is some of your longest walks of the day. Think how your body will be after walking 5-8 miles at the end of the day.

Before you dismiss the idea, keep in mind that many times the walk to/from transportation is some of your longest walks of the day. Think how your body will be after walking 5-8 miles at the end of the

YES! I swear the bus stop gets further and further away every year. LOL Even if you are healthy, there is something about walking to the bus stop or your car at the end of the night that makes it seem like they are miles away.

YES! I swear the bus stop gets further and further away every year. LOL Even if you are healthy, there is something about walking to the bus stop or your car at the end of the night that makes it seem like they are miles away.
I think it's because you aren't taking any breaks. While we are walking 5-8 miles at Disney, in reality we're walking a few hundred feet and stopping for a ride or a show or to stand in line. There is a lot of resting/stationary time when you are meandering through the parks. That hike at the end of the day - you're tired, you've already been on your feet all day and you have a LONG walk with no breaks to transportation. It's a killer.

The first post of THIS THREAD is all about DAS at WDW.

I definitely don't do every ride, I'm not a fan of roller coasters lol, so finding a place to sit while my friends are on that will help then? I don't mind the heat so that isn't always an issue either but a cool dry place for the random 10-15 minute showers in Florida is always good

The DAS will not provide you with a place to sit. It simply allows one to wait outside of the standard queue. Since benches are relatively few and far between, if you will need a place to sit, it is recommended to use a wheelchair (or ECV). You don't need to use it at all times; push when you want to walk, sit when you want to sit. Park it for a bit if you so desire.

Enjoy your vacation!

A DAS is only good inside the park for attractions with fastpass +. This does apply to some character meet and greets, but not all. It will not help at all with dining, monorails, buses, or anything outside the park.

A DAS is for people who cannot wait in a normal queue. You will be given a return time based on the current standby wait time. At that time, you return through the fast pass entrance. If the wait is under 10 minutes, you are usually put through the fastpass queue. Since Disney has been cutting back on benches and seating, you do tend to walk more with a DAS than without one (as you return to the ride twice). You can only have a wait time for 1 attraction at a time.

If stamina is your main concern, as others have mentioned, a mobility device will be your best option. Most lines are streamlined now so you can take it in with you. For those that are not, a CM will provide you a return time. You can also park your wheelchair/ECV in various places throughout the parks and walk around. Before you dismiss the idea, keep in mind that many times the walk to/from transportation is some of your longest walks of the day. Think how your body will be after walking 5-8 miles at the end of the day.

This is my concern, I don't know if I'll be able to wait in line in the normal queue or not, the last amusement park (Canada's Wonderland) I went to this summer, my friends and I had an all day fast pass type of thing to get on quickly so we didn't really have any wait times. But even then, by the end of the day I was tired and I didn't even do all the rides there and we didn't even get through the whole park. By the end of the day I was sore and completely exhausted.

The first post of THIS THREAD is all about DAS at WDW.

The DAS will not provide you with a place to sit. It simply allows one to wait outside of the standard queue. Since benches are relatively few and far between, if you will need a place to sit, it is recommended to use a wheelchair (or ECV). You don't need to use it at all times; push when you want to walk, sit when you want to sit. Park it for a bit if you so desire.

Enjoy your vacation!
Ooh I'll check that out, Thanks! So you don't have to sit in it to use the wheelchair? It's not something I can see myself completely wanting to be sitting in all the time. And If I'm pushing it and have my Backpack sitting in it will CM's have an issue?

Kinda surprising Disney is lessening their benches. But I do remember our last trip there my friend and I ended up sitting on the ground at Epcot while waiting for a table for dinner because we were tired from the day and hungry.

Speaking of being hungry, do you need the DAS to bring in your own snacks in a backpack? I tend to need to eat every 1-2 hours (Hypoglycemia also runs in the family and I'm borderline) I remember being able to before with out it but have things changed?

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate the help!

This is my concern, I don't know if I'll be able to wait in line in the normal queue or not, the last amusement park (Canada's Wonderland) I went to this summer, my friends and I had an all day fast pass type of thing to get on quickly so we didn't really have any wait times. But even then, by the end of the day I was tired and I didn't even do all the rides there and we didn't even get through the whole park. By the end of the day I was sore and completely exhausted.

Ooh I'll check that out, Thanks! So you don't have to sit in it to use the wheelchair? It's not something I can see myself completely wanting to be sitting in all the time. And If I'm pushing it and have my Backpack sitting in it will CM's have an issue?

Kinda surprising Disney is lessening their benches. But I do remember our last trip there my friend and I ended up sitting on the ground at Epcot while waiting for a table for dinner because we were tired from the day and hungry.

Speaking of being hungry, do you need the DAS to bring in your own snacks in a backpack? I tend to need to eat every 1-2 hours (Hypoglycemia also runs in the family and I'm borderline) I remember being able to before with out it but have things changed?

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate the help!

You can do whatever you want with your wheelchair, sit in it or carry your stuff. And as for snacks, Disney allows anyone to bring in any food or drink that you want, but no alcohol or glass.

You can do whatever you want with your wheelchair, sit in it or carry your stuff. And as for snacks, Disney allows anyone to bring in any food or drink that you want, but no alcohol or glass.
Okay that's good to know. I guess I'll have to think about it and see how things are and what my friends think/suggest doing (since they're the ones who usually help me out when my parents aren't around)

Good to know about the food Thanks for that :) I just discovered the article on hear that talks about what Disney offers for Gluten Free and other food needs so that's helpful too.

Thanks so much!

And that sounds like a "mobility or stamina" issue for which WDW will not issue a DAS. The recommended accommodation is to use a mobility device, even if you don't use or need one in regular everyday life. Be sure to plan your FP+ rides, and make use of extras once the first 3 are used. And have reasonable expectations -- most people do not and cannot do everything in one day. There is simply too much. Pick your highlights and make those a priority.

Enjoy your vacation!

And that sounds like a "mobility or stamina" issue for which WDW will not issue a DAS. The recommended accommodation is to use a mobility device, even if you don't use or need one in regular everyday life. Be sure to plan your FP+ rides, and make use of extras once the first 3 are used. And have reasonable expectations -- most people do not and cannot do everything in one day. There is simply too much. Pick your highlights and make those a priority.

Enjoy your vacation!
I'm thinking it'll be a possibility if absolutely needed. We're planning for rest days in between parks so that'll help too. I'm also hoping I'll be so pumped up from being back at Disney (after 3 long years) and not having to stress about going home to go back to school anymore that I'll have enough adrenaline to keep me going all day :)

Thanks! I'm looking forward to this trip -It'll be our first time going for the Food and Wine fest at Epcot, and our first time at Disney over 21 as well. :)

!
It really does sound like your needs are more stamina related. A DAS is not front of line or immediate access. You still wait. Getting too tired in line isn't a reason for the DAS - a wheelchair or ECV is far more helpful for that. The DAS is more for people who need to wait outside the line.

Look into renting from an outside vendor as well. That way you'll have what you need no matter where you are. If you rent in the park, you'd have to still walk to transportation and back to your room. Depending on where you are staying, that's a lot of walking.

Edited to say: you can always try without the DAS and if you find that the waiting is too much or the whelchair doesn't cut it with your anxiety, you can always return to Guest Relations. We don't usually get my son's DAS until the end of our trip when he's had way too much stimulation

Waiting while sitting on an ECV or wheelchair in an air-conditioned line is far less tiring than walking to get a DAS return, walking to find a place to sit - most often in the hot sun and rarely close by, and then walking back (again in the sun) to the ride and then waiting 10-25 minutes in the FP line while standing.

As others have said it sounds like your concerns are more stamina witch a DAS will not be given for. I would look at getting a wheelchair now you can push it, park it walk around the area some or sit in it ( you will see people doing all of it) if you find that the wheelchair does not meet your needs then you can stop by guest relations and talk to them.

If you do decide to go they will ask you ( something like) what are your concerns in line ( this is why I think you should just try it without asking because it does not seem like you have any other needs then you get tired easy) you will need to tell them your concerns as it has to do with waiting in the lines. You do not have to be the person talking someone with you can talk for you or you can write it down ( in your own words)

getting to the park at opening ( if you can) having your FP for about 60-90 minutes after the parks open and having a nice rest at the hotel ( you can take a nape go swimming) or a nice sit-down meal and then back to the park for the evenings when it is quieter. I would not reconded doing park opening to park closing at all.

It really does sound like your needs are more stamina related. A DAS is not front of line or immediate access. You still wait. Getting too tired in line isn't a reason for the DAS - a wheelchair or ECV is far more helpful for that. The DAS is more for people who need to wait outside the line.

Look into renting from an outside vendor as well. That way you'll have what you need no matter where you are. If you rent in the park, you'd have to still walk to transportation and back to your room. Depending on where you are staying, that's a lot of walking.

Edited to say: you can always try without the DAS and if you find that the waiting is too much or the whelchair doesn't cut it with your anxiety, you can always return to Guest Relations. We don't usually get my son's DAS until the end of our trip when he's had way too much stimulation
If I were to get it it would be for Disney only. I don't really need a wheelchair to walk around a mall or to go to the beach. Yes I get tired at a mall sometimes, but I do it often enough here at home that I don't plan on really using one here much.

We are staying off property, but again I honestly don't plan on using one THAT often if I decided to get it. I understand you don't get immediate access to rides, it was the idea that you can leave the line, go sit somewhere and come back when your wait time is up that perked my interest.

Waiting while sitting on an ECV or wheelchair in an air-conditioned line is far less tiring than walking to get a DAS return, walking to find a place to sit - most often in the hot sun and rarely close by, and then walking back (again in the sun) to the ride and then waiting 10-25 minutes in the FP line while standing.

The heat and sun doesn't bother me one bit :). I'd much rather be in the sun than the cold air conditioning in FL any day. I find the AC places in Florida, way too cold. I get cold super easily sometimes even in the summer (that's the thyroid issues there). I remember when I was 10 and we were at Animal Kingdom in June everyone in our group thought I was crazy because I was so cold I wanted to buy a thick sweatshirt because I forgot mine lol.

And as I said above I understand the heat is a lot different than the Canadian heat, but my family usually goes to Florida in the summer months, and we lived there for close to a year when I was younger. So walking around in the heat doesn't bother me, it's the way my feet/ankles get sore when I'm standing for too long. :)

As others have said it sounds like your concerns are more stamina witch a DAS will not be given for. I would look at getting a wheelchair now you can push it, park it walk around the area some or sit in it ( you will see people doing all of it) if you find that the wheelchair does not meet your needs then you can stop by guest relations and talk to them.

If you do decide to go they will ask you ( something like) what are your concerns in line ( this is why I think you should just try it without asking because it does not seem like you have any other needs then you get tired easy) you will need to tell them your concerns as it has to do with waiting in the lines. You do not have to be the person talking someone with you can talk for you or you can write it down ( in your own words)

getting to the park at opening ( if you can) having your FP for about 60-90 minutes after the parks open and having a nice rest at the hotel ( you can take a nape go swimming) or a nice sit-down meal and then back to the park for the evenings when it is quieter. I would not reconded doing park opening to park closing at all.

I have a lot more needs than just tire easily, I get sore easily, have the anxiety issues, and more. Honestly the tiniest thing can set me off -like getting stuck on a dark ride.

I do like knowing that you can write things down, my one friend understands more than the other, (the one has known me longer and seen the changes since we were kids to adults) so if needed I can probably get her to help me out a bit for explaining.

Personally I've never liked the idea of going back to the hotel for a break. We didn't even do it when I was 5/6 and I didn't use a stroller then either. I never used a stroller at Disney or any amusement park. Our idea of resting was sitting for lunch at the parks, or again sitting while friends are on a ride I don't care for (like every roller coaster besides Splash Mountain lol).

Park Closing/Opening is already a must do for me if we can get there on time. I've never done it before and honestly don't want to miss the fireworks and shows that I haven't seen. Same with opening. I guess maybe what I said wasn't as clear as in my mind (typical for me lol) Because I've been up from like 6 am -2am the next day and while I'm tired I'm not at the point where I couldn't walk inside my house or back to my bed. -When we travel we usually drive, so we're up early and up late.

I guess this is where I struggle to explain it, it's not that I'd be exhausted from being at the park like that from opening to close, it's the standing in lines for long periods of time that is my concern. That's when things like my feet or back would start to get sore.

Also we're not doing all 4 parks 4 days in a row. We're still planning things out, but we've got enough time to do things in between days like Disney, Beach, Waterpark, non Disney things, Disney, Pool, for example.
___

I'm a little embarrassed by the idea of using a wheelchair to be honest. I won't ever use one at a mall and I go there fairly often, so I'm not totally sure what I'm going to about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter