DAS question

momz

DIS Veteran
I understand I need to go to guest relations to discuss my needs.
1.Does the rest of my party need to come with me?
2.Is the pass active for all the parks...meaning if I get it at MK, can I use it at EPCOT the same evening? 3.Is the pass active for all days on my ticket, or do I have to go through guest relations every day? I'm really hoping I don't have to tell strangers about my needs everyday.

4.What has been your experience talking with the cast members at guest relations when requesting a DAS? I'm not asking what your needs are. I'm just concerned about having to disclose some very personal issues with a complete stranger. I don't want to be laughed at, or questioned about it. I'm feeling very self conscious about it as it is.

5.What is the process of asking for one?

After I happened to see another thread of the OP I'm guessing its going to fall under a mobility issue and they will just suggest a wheelchair.

Not saying that you shouldn't ask about DAS still but be prepared to be told you're not eligible.

Last edited:
1. The others do not need to be standing next to you, but you will need at least their MBs/ticket media as the DAS will be linked to everyone in your party (up to 5 + you). If they are waiting nearby, you can call them over when necessary. If you take their MBs/tickets, they can do something else (shopping, snack, etc.) as long as they would not need the MB (for charging or a FP).
2. You only need to request it once, then good for all theme parks for the length of your stay.
4. You don't have to get super-personal or detailed. Think of short, concise, bullet-point style statements.
5. Approach the counter, greet the CM, say "i'd like to request a DAS for (myself) because (x y z)." They may or not ask a question or 2 for clarification. Then they will take your picture and link the rest of your party.

If you haven't already seen it, the first post of this thread may help with your planning for DAS: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Enjoy your vacation!

Yes.
DAS is added to your Magicband or digital ticket.
The other members of your group will have their Magicbsnds or tickets linked to the DAS. That involves scanning their Magicbands/tickets.
If not everyone is present because some are joining your vacation later, you will need to come back to Guest Relations to have them added.

2.Is the pass active for all the parks...meaning if I get it at MK, can I use it at EPCOT the same evening?
Once DAS has been added to your Magicband or ticket, it csn be used at any of the 4 Theme Parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studio). It is not used at the water parks, for restaurants or transportation.
3.Is the pass active for all days on my ticket, or do I have to go through guest relations every day? I'm really hoping I don't have to tell strangers about my needs everyday.
It will be active for all the days of your ticket (or up to 60 days, for people with annual passes). Guests don’t need to go to to Guest Relations unless they have other issues or need to link another guest to their DAS.
4.What has been your experience talking with the cast members at guest relations when requesting a DAS? I'm not asking what your needs are. I'm just concerned about having to disclose some very personal issues with a complete stranger. I don't want to be laughed at, or questioned about it. I'm feeling very self conscious about it as it is.

You don’t need to go into a lot of detail or give a lot of personal information. Since DAS is for guests whose disability prevents them from waiting in the traditional lines, be ready to discuss (very briefly) what prevents you from waiting in the lines.

This thread should be able to answer all your DAS questions. Only the first post is up to date.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

2.Is the pass active for all the parks...meaning if I get it at MK, can I use it at EPCOT the same evening? 3.Is the pass active for all days on my ticket, or do I have to go through guest relations every day? I'm really hoping I don't have to tell strangers about my needs everyday.

1 I have had some CM say I have to have everyone in my group there with me and other CM are fine with out my group even at disney at the time ( they where drving down that day) so it would be good to have them close by incase the CM want to see them
2 Yes the pass is good for all 4 theme parks ( not the water parks)
3 and it is for the lenth of your trip and or 60 days

I have not had any one beside the CM at GR ask me about my needs ( the only time is the very few times I needed a wheelchair and that was asking how much I could walk/ stand if I needed the moving walk way stoped) And when I need extra accomidation at a ride then what the DAS provides like seting at a show.

if talking out loud about your needs you can write your needs down and let the CM know when you get to GR that you have a hard time talking about your needs out loud and say I wrote down my needs the CM can read something from you but not your dr the CM might have more quetion for you after reading what your wrote. ( I find just a few bulit points works bset so the CM is not reading something very long

enjoy your vacation

Just an FYI: A DAS is not always issued. So have a backup plan for your day if this happens.
Have your 3 fast passes booked.
You can book more once those are used

We arranged DAS for our older son who has severe ADHD and cannot stand in long lines without disrupting others and ramping up his own anxiety. They didn't ask any questions (they actually aren't allowed per the ADA, given the nature of DAS and how it works).

We just went to Guest Relations on our first day in the parks, explained we needed DAS and they took a photo of my son (the designated person with the disability) and scanned all of our magic bands to link them to his DAS. You can only use one DAS "placeholder" at a time - so you can't use DAS to get a return time on multiple rides. The designated person who has the disability has to go to the fastpass line to request the return time due to DAS and tell the CM how many in their party will be riding. CM gives a return time based on the current wait.

We used it only after all our fastpasses were used, and only when a ride line was longer than what we knew he could bear. Being able to let him run around in between rides rather than standing in a queue made all the difference in his ability to enjoy his trip!

If not everyone is present, you will need to come back to Guest Relations to have them added.

Not necessarily true. As was mentioned earlier, if you bring everybody's ticket media/magicbands with you, they can be added that way.

he designated person who has the disability has to go to the fastpass line to request the return time due to DAS and tell the CM how many in their party will be riding.

Anyone listed on the DAS can obtain the return time, not only the person with the disability. But, the disabled person does need to be there when returning to get on the ride. They would scan their magicband first and the rest of the party follows.

Not true that they arent alliwed to ask questions. They don't always ask questions, but they are allowed to and often do. They can't ask for a diagnosis, but they can ask what your needs are that prevent you from waiting in line.

Not necessarily true. As was mentioned earlier, if you bring everybody's ticket media/magicbands with you, they can be added that way.

Anyone listed on the DAS can obtain the return time, not only the person with the disability. But, the disabled person does need to be there when returning to get on the ride. They would scan their magicband first and the rest of the party follows.
I was talking about the situation where your group changes during your stay.
For example, on our recent trip, we started out with my older daughter and her husband added to my younger daughter’s DAS. But, they only stayed for the first 5 days of our trip. We were joined by another family friend for th rest of our trip.
So, we needed to go back to Guest Relations to have the friend added.

People have reported varying experiences with getting other guests added to DAS with just their Magicbands or tickets. So, it’s probably safest to have the guests with.

Not true that they arent alliwed to ask questions. They don't always ask questions, but they are allowed to and often do. They can't ask for a diagnosis, but they can ask what your needs are that prevent you from waiting in line.

I was responding to the fact that the OP was concerned the CM might ask for specifics (including documentation) - that they cannot ask for per ADA regulations. They can ask for very general info on the accommodations needed (i.e. is it a mobility issue, or a cognitive issue). The ADA protects people with disabilities from having to disclose too much information to "justify" their disability as asking probing questions can be considered a form of discrimination.

We arranged DAS for our older son who has severe ADHD and cannot stand in long lines without disrupting others and ramping up his own anxiety. They didn't ask any questions (they actually aren't allowed per the ADA, given the nature of DAS and how it works).
They don’t always ask questions, but certainly can if they need clarification because the guest has not explained their needs well enough. What they can’t ask, is what the disability is.
Even if they did know the disability, is not really pertinent. For example, knowing my youngest daughter has cerebral palsy doesn’t tell what her needs are and some people with CP don’t have need for DAS.

We just went to Guest Relations on our first day in the parks, explained we needed DAS and they took a photo of my son (the designated person with the disability) and scanned all of our magic bands to link them to his DAS. You can only use one DAS "placeholder" at a time - so you can't use DAS to get a return time on multiple rides. The designated person who has the disability has to go to the fastpass line to request the return time due to DAS and tell the CM how many in their party will be riding. CM gives a return time based on the current wait.
As others mentioned, anyone linked to the DAS can obtain a DAS Return Time.
The person DAS was issued to needs to scan first when returning to go on the attraction and DAS can only be used on attractions the DAS holder is going on.

Last edited:
I appreciate all of the discussion. I understand there's a great myriad of disabilities.

What I'm worried about is expressing what my problem is and then the CMs deciding to discuss it amongst themselves. I'm picturing speaking with a stranger over the counter and saying, I experience xyz which makes it difficult to wait in line. Then said stranger hollers over their shoulder, or simply calls another over and says, in front of my group, "she has xyz, how can she be accommodated?"

I'm concerned about confidentiality. My group knows my mobility issues, but they don't know all of the problems I face. And I really don't want to tell them. But, suffice it to say, I cannot wait in long lines. I'm happy to wait my turn though.

I appreciate all of the discussion. I understand there's a great myriad of disabilities.

What I'm worried about is expressing what my problem is and then the CMs deciding to discuss it amongst themselves. I'm picturing speaking with a stranger over the counter and saying, I experience xyz which makes it difficult to wait in line. Then said stranger hollers over their shoulder, or simply calls another over and says, in front of my group, "she has xyz, how can she be accommodated?"

I'm concerned about confidentiality. My group knows my mobility issues, but they don't know all of the problems I face. And I really don't want to tell them. But, suffice it to say, I cannot wait in long lines. I'm happy to wait my turn though.
The CM will not Or should not need to talk or tell another CM what your needs are ( unless they are earning there ears or a new CM, then they might have a question for the person training them, if this happens even CM around will not know becuse they could be asking any old question, you know do I push this button on the computer do I do this )

if you feel more comftable write on a pice of paper I am a little emparised to talk about my needs but I have a hard time waiting in line because of XYZ and when XYZ happens ABC happens, you can even put at the end can you write doen any question you have for me this way you can write back and forth and those around you will not know. ( I have writen m needs down a few times and been fine) when you go to the rides the CM will not care why you have the DAS they will just give you the retrun time if you have an ECV or wheelchair they will ask you about your mobility needs ( standing walking) so they can let you know if you will be able to do the ride some rides you must take a few steps to the ride vehcal some it is much easer if you can walk a few steps ( like FOP, the people mover and peter pan)

That won’t happen. IF the CM needed to speak with another, it would be in the back room. But that’s highly unlikely. The CM you speak with will either say “ok, no problem, let me take care of that for you” or possibly ask a question or two for clarification.

Just one point since you mention mobility issues as well — in requesting the DAS, be sure to only focus your request on non-mobility needs directly related to how those needs impact waiting in a queue.

Enjoy your vacation!

That won’t happen. IF the CM needed to speak with another, it would be in the back room. But that’s highly unlikely. The CM you speak with will either say “ok, no problem, let me take care of that for you” or possibly ask a question or two for clarification.

Just one point since you mention mobility issues as well — in requesting the DAS, be sure to only focus your request on non-mobility needs directly related to how those needs impact waiting in a queue.

Enjoy your vacation!
Agree with this.

The accommodation provided by DAS is ability to wait outside of the regular, standby lines. So there is no need for any discussion with another CM. We’ve used DAS since it started and before that, we used the Guest Assistance Card (the old program that DAS replaced). Our experience has been that the CMs were very discrete and private in interactions to obtain assistance.

The CMs in Guest Relations are (in general) quite experienced - it’s not an entry level job.

My group knows my mobility issues, but they don't know all of the problems I face.
Just an FYI, the GR CMs are trained to explain that the accommodation for mobility issues is a wheelchair or ECV, not a DAS. Like @lanejudy indicated, if the mobility issue is one of several you face, focus on the non-mobility issues when speaking with GR CMs. Saying you need a DAS for mobility issues is a bit of a third rail.

I got one last week. I didn’t have my group with me, just their magic bands. I have issues bc of CHF and I don’t discuss that around my 5 yr old DD. The process was very easy and handled discretely. The CM saw me come up on my scooter so she asked me right away if it was for a DAS. I explained my issues and she issued it right there. It took very little time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter