DAS pass for teen who doesn’t “look” disabled

Myhandsfull

Earning My Ears
Hello, everyone. I have a 15 yo son and we are planning our fifth trip to Disney next fall. He is the youngest of three, and we have used the DAS pass the other times for severe sensory issues (which he has along with a host of other mood disorder/ADHD/processing symptoms, as well as a traum history that makes him have a hyper aggressive reflex when touched or pushed). We have had no issues getting the pass in the past, which honestly makes riding possible for him. If he feels crowded, he will lash out aggressively and we pay too much to get kicked out of the parks. In a FP line, we can distract him or keep him focused on the rides long enough to get through. We put him in the middle of our group and make sure has has the space he needs to feel safe. 15 minutes, we can do. 45 would not work. We tried the Seven Dwarves Mine Train (his favorite ride) without the pass last trip making sure he still needed it, when he was almost 14, and it was a disaster and we had to leave the line halfway through.

Anyway, I say all of this to say that when you look at him, he doesn’t “look” disabled. I had a friend who went last month and her son has similar issues and apparently she had to really fight for the pass. I’m wondering a few things:

1) What do I need to bring to document his need?

2) What questions should I be prepared to answer?

3) Has anyone heard of teens having a harder time getting the pass than younger children?

4) Any tips overall?

Thanks,

Dana

No documentation. They won't look at it. Just be prepared to address why he cannot wait in a standard line environment. If he's had it before, he may already be in the system. Tell them you are there to renew it.

Hello, everyone. I have a 15 yo son and we are planning our fifth trip to Disney next fall. He is the youngest of three, and we have used the DAS pass the other times for severe sensory issues (which he has along with a host of other mood disorder/ADHD/processing symptoms, as well as a traum history that makes him have a hyper aggressive reflex when touched or pushed). We have had no issues getting the pass in the past, which honestly makes riding possible for him. If he feels crowded, he will lash out aggressively and we pay too much to get kicked out of the parks. In a FP line, we can distract him or keep him focused on the rides long enough to get through. We put him in the middle of our group and make sure has has the space he needs to feel safe. 15 minutes, we can do. 45 would not work. We tried the Seven Dwarves Mine Train (his favorite ride) without the pass last trip making sure he still needed it, when he was almost 14, and it was a disaster and we had to leave the line halfway through.

Anyway, I say all of this to say that when you look at him, he doesn’t “look” disabled. I had a friend who went last month and her son has similar issues and apparently she had to really fight for the pass. I’m wondering a few things:

3) Has anyone heard of teens having a harder time getting the pass than younger children?

4) Any tips overall?

Thanks,

Dana

1 no documents needed the CM are not medical trained and really can not look at any Dr notes

2 you should say why your child can not wait in the standerline and why waiting out side will help. I thin the question I got was what concerns do you have with the line?

3 no I have not I could see if a teen goes in by them self maybe but with a parent no

4 If you have used the DAS before you could just say I would like to renew my DAS for my son that has ahard time in line becuse

He did not, but he was also a whole lot shorter and looked like a little kid. He has hit a major growth spurt and now looks like a (very handsome) 15 YO. My friend didn’t have issues in the past but had to speak to a supervisor this time. I was asking to mostly see if she had an isolated negative experience or if this was an issue related to the child looking more mature, or if Disney has changed the criteria unofficially to make it more difficult.

He did not, but he was also a whole lot shorter and looked like a little kid. He has hit a major growth spurt and now looks like a (very handsome) 15 YO. My friend didn’t have issues in the past but had to speak to a supervisor this time. I was asking to mostly see if she had an isolated negative experience or if this was an issue related to the child looking more mature, or if Disney has changed the criteria unofficially to make it more difficult.
I used to go to Disney like 10-11 times a year for about 3 now it is like 3-4 times so I have had to renew my DAS a lot only once can i remember a CM asking why I needed the DAS with a half way are you sure you really had one question I jut restated why I can not wait in lines and was given one. and I do not look Disabeled unless I am in the middel of a meltdown then It become quite obvuse why I can not wait in line and since GR is my first stop I normily am not melting down ( If I am someone up above better help me that trip) you should be fine just go and ask for it to be renewed if asked why he needs it tell them the CM there know that some kids ( and adults) havve disabites and can commuicate there need quiet well in GR but once out in a crowded over stulated theme park that is a very different stroy

If you have been successful in the past there is no reason to think you would not get it this time.

As you should know from times past they don't want documentation or even a diagnosis.

They just want to know what he needs that standing in a regular line does not provide.

BTW unless you were there with your friend you don't know her exact experience. There could have just been a misunderstanding. Her child did get it though so she was successful.

4) Any tips overall?

Thanks,

Dana

Since you have gone before, he is in the system, and they should just pull up the info right there, right?

1) What do I need to bring to document his need? Nothing.

2) What questions should I be prepared to answer? you need to explain why he cannot wait in a standard line.

3) Has anyone heard of teens having a harder time getting the pass than younger children? age is irrelevant.

4) Any tips overall?

Thanks,

Dana

plan your fast passes carefully. schedule down times( table service meal, a ride like carousel of progress or one of the shows that run continuously all day)

I don't 'look' disabled either.. but I have plenty of physical medical issues that manifest under certain conditions.

Hint: Explain that, if he and the family go into the regular line in a regular fashion, what bad happens and when. in English, and not using any medical terms including names of diseases or medicines or internal body components. Use enough detail as if you were choreographing the situation for an exact repeat performance in a play or skit.

Additional words to not use: stimulate, react, temper, sensory, trauma, syndrome, hyper/hypo.

You would make the opening statement, a narrative which might exceed fifty words.

...3. no I have not I could see if a teen goes in by them self maybe but with a parent no ...
You mean parents and family are expected to control a disabled member instead of being given a DAS?

Last edited:
I am a 36 year old female, do not look disabled but I use the DAS Pass for IBS/Anxiety-related issues. Never had a problem using the pass at WDW or Disneyland. If he has had the pass before at WDW you can simply ask to renew the pass, they keep it on file.

I got a DAS last week for my 23-year old who is on the spectrum. We went to Guest Services at Epcot. After telling the CM we were there to get a DAS, the only question she asked was whether we had used one before and if we had any questions about how it worked. I was not asked to explain why my son needed it. I know that most CMs do ask you to explain why a DAS would help, but this one did not. She simply scanned my son’s Magic Band and put us into the system. My son does not necessarily “look” disabled. But he does have anxiety about standing in crowds and being touched by strangers. He will frequently skip a ride if the line looks too long or the space looks too confined. The DAS worked very well for him on this trip.

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like my friend either misunderstood or had an isolated incident. We will plan to proceed as we have in our previous trips.

Thanks,

Dana

After the first time I got a DAS, I have not had to provide an explanation of why I need it again. Each time I go (1 to 2 years apart between visits) to guest services to get a new DAS, I start by saying ("I last visited a year/couple years ago and") "I would like to renew my DAS, please". They confirm I am me and then renew it.

The last time I visited the system had switched from paper-based to electronic, and I brought my previous paper DAS and showed them that. The CM explained it was electronic now and how it worked with the electronic system.

OP, I would start with that tactic - renewing - and hopefully it will work. If it doesn't, others have given good info on how to be prepared for having to go through the whole process again. I always go in hoping for the best (painless renewal) but prepared for having to go through the entire process and advocate for myself.

Good luck.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter