DAS Needed?

Leafsgirl36

Leafs Fan Forever
This will be my grandson‘s first trip to Disney World, last summer he was backed over by an SUV and he did a lot of damage to one of his legs, he almost lost his leg. He is 4 and will have to use a stroller as he can only walk for short amounts of time because his leg starts to bother him. He is unable to do stairs so my question is does he need a pass for any rides that require him to climb stairs or do we just let a cast member know that he is unable to do stairs such as for the toy story ride. Thanks

You should be able to get a stroller as a wheelchair tag at Guest Services. This will allow him to stay in his stroller while in line.

You just need to let CMs at the rides know that he can’t do stairs, and they’ll let you know where to go for rides that have steps.

This will be my grandson‘s first trip to Disney World, last summer he was backed over by an SUV and he did a lot of damage to one of his legs, he almost lost his leg. He is 4 and will have to use a stroller as he can only walk for short amounts of time because his leg starts to bother him. He is unable to do stairs so my question is does he need a pass for any rides that require him to climb stairs or do we just let a cast member know that he is unable to do stairs such as for the toy story ride. Thanks
another for the "stroller as wheelchair" tag which is only way you will be allowed stroller in line or in a building. ps there is now a third track for TSMM ride which does not have steps

No you will need to stop by GR and talk to them about getting a stroller as a wheelchair tag. This will let you take the stroller in lines with you ( other wise you will have to park it out side the lines). This will alert the CM that he can not do stairs or you can just tell the CM.

I hope your grandson continues to recover and you have a great trip

if you are going to be taking the disney buses you might want to consider renting an adaptive stroller that has tie downs for the bus. even with a wheelchair tag he can't stay in the regular stroller on the bus for safety reasons. but if he has a stroller with the proper tie downs he can just roll up the ramp and stay in the stroller on the bus. avoids the bus steps and guarantees him a seat on the bus.

That's a good suggestion redberyl has; but at four, it might be better to just told up his stroller and put him in a seat.

Maybe those not standing have non-visible disabilities. Heart issues, arthritis, stamina issues, cancer,etc.
I do not have a mobility problem but there are times it is much safer for me to sit on the buss then to stand. I can not tell you how many times at the end of the day my BG will drop below 40 yes I do treat but it can take 15 or so minutes to come back up if the bus comes and there is a set I will get on if no set I have waited for the next bus if some one ask me for my set ( it has happened ) I say no I am sure I look like a very healthy young adult but at that time I need a set. You can not tell just by looking at someone if they need a set and they might need a set for a short time. If you really need a set on a bus and one is not available then wait for the next bus during busy times they run more frequently then non busy times sometimes they are almost back to back.

Maybe those not standing have non-visible disabilities. Heart issues, arthritis, stamina issues, cancer,etc.
I realize this, although its a bit difficult to believe that every single person sitting on the bus has invisible disabilities, every time. Either way the only sure way to get the child a seat each time is to bring an adaptive stroller with tie downs

I realize this, although its a bit difficult to believe that every single person sitting on the bus has invisible disabilities, every time. Either way the only sure way to get the child a seat each time is to bring an adaptive stroller with tie downs
Or you can wait for the next bus just tell the drive you need a set this will give you a set too adaptive stroller are quite pricey and insurance may not cover it.

if you are going to be taking the disney buses you might want to consider renting an adaptive stroller that has tie downs for the bus.

If someone wants to go this route, please confirm with the vendor that the stroller has been equipped with a transportation package. The vast majority of strollers available for rent cannot/should not be tied down on buses. Even many marketed as “special needs” do not. Possibly a few rented through a medical vendor would be transport-ready.

OP - it does sound as though a stroller-as-wheelchair tag will be most helpful for your grandson.

Enjoy your vacation!

I would get a tag to use the stroller as a wheelchair for in the park. As for the busses, if they are too busy, you may want to use a Minnie van on occasion.

You need to tell them he cant stand for long periods, you can use your best judgment after you get it. We try not to abuse ours. My son can not stand in lines long due to the heat, he had brain cancer and it did damage that no one can see. So we get lots of looks. I still try and be fair. Stand in lines early or late. During the middle of the day we go to inside attractions like monsters inc etc.

Thank you all for the replies . My grandson can walk just not for long periods and will have no issue with standing in lines. My main concern is anything with stairs. I think our best solution is to just let a CM know he is unable to do stairs on any ride that may have them. Thank you all so much

My grandson can walk just not for long periods and will have no issue with standing in lines. My main concern is anything with stairs.

Just mention it to each CM you see along the queue and they will direct you accordingly. A few rides have an alternate entrance, but most start in the regular queue and have a pull-off before the stairs.

But the parks are a HUGE amount of walking, especially multiple days in a row. You may want to reconsider the stroller tag. You can always get it later in the trip if he finds it diffult to walk that much.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you all for the replies . My grandson can walk just not for long periods and will have no issue with standing in lines. My main concern is anything with stairs. I think our best solution is to just let a CM know he is unable to do stairs on any ride that may have them. Thank you all so much
I would still strongly advise a stroller as a wheelchair tag.

Always better to have it and .it need it. But keep in mind some of the queues are extremely long, even on the FP side. For example, Soarin is 3/4 of a mile on the FP side, so even longer on the standby with switch backs and all.

FOP is another extremely long queue, although I do not know how long on that one.

Pirates is about 1/4 of a mile on the FP side

Big Thunder is lengthy, but there are also about 4 or 5 small steps up at the entrance.

There are many others and you might find that he might be able to do some of the shorter waits individually, but by the end of the day they may be too hard to do.

As for stairs, here are the attractions where the queues have stairs that I know of:
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder (four or five small steps)
Space Mountain (Standby queue only)
Tommorow and Transit Authority has a speed ramp, so no stairs, just be aware the ramp is steep, so he may need some support while standing on it, but even with the tag the stroller wouldn't be able to go up that.

I am not sure if there are any stairs or steps in the queue for Kilamanjaro Safaris, as I have always veered off for either the wheelchair vehicle of the FP queue, never been through the fully standby queue.

Also, if you plan on seeing any of the circle vision films, you probably would want the stroller as a wheelchair tag, as that would be standing for around 20 minutes without it.

Note in the land pavilion, there is an elevator, which may be easier than the escalator.

There are stairs at all of the outdoor shows and the Festival of the Lion King as well, there are accessible seating for these, which you could request, but I have seen CMs refuse if there isn't a mobility device, so the stroller as a wheelchair tag would be helpful at the shows as well.

I am not saying you have to get it, just mentioning where I can see issues based on what you have described, I really would recommend a stroller as a wheelchair, because if it gets too much it may be a life saver for you.

one think to think about strollers can not go into buildings example Soarn you will have quite a walk up to building and then inside the building just to get to the line which can be long. also in this building is Living the Land ride plus Garden Grill and The Seasons for eating and if I remember right 2 stories and only a small elevator. without the stroller tag you will not be allowed to bring stroller in and it is uphill, no steps, to get in the building

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter