DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Just thought would let you know the response we had from disability services to us who live in UK
Have you tried the US site? You may need to try using an Incognito browser. Disney appears to have removed the language about only US (or North Americans) doing the pre-registration, which leads me to believe they are or have addressed this issue. I'm really sorry you are kind of stuck in limbo over this right now. Do you have a visit planned within the next month, or is there time to wait and see how this plays out? If you have the time, I suggest letting the dust settle and you could well have your answers.

My understanding is there will be ipads/tablets available to do the registration after you arrive if that's what has to be done.

My point was that posters were complaining that DAS users were "gaming" the system because they might ride something with a short standby while waiting for their DAS return time. I was showing hypothetically how some DAS users cannot stay in the parks more than a few hours.
People can choose to pay for Genie+ or not and DAS users can choose to pay for their park tickets or not knowing they won't get a full day use.
I in no way meant that DAS should be based upon the number of hours someone spends in the parks.
I don't agree with those posts discussing gaming the system in an accusatory way that obviously creates hurt feelings by implying what has been implied by some.

At this point, I am not going back over 160+ pages to clean up some questionable comments. The moderators have been pushing back against a lot of assumptions and speculation now that we have time to do so. We ask for everyone's patience and respect as through this time of uncertainty until Disney shares more details. It's stressful, it's aggravating, it's worrisome for many.
oh please know that wasn't a comment towards how the moderators have been handling this thread at all! You've all been doing a thankless and incredible job following this behemoth of a thread.

I was the champion of Genie+ refresh/modify. I posted a lot on the Genie+ usage thread and we did everything at HS prior to DAS. This was when we got SDD late evening as our first pass.

I saw one CM refuse to give Genie+ at Epcot to a guest who had no idea it didn’t mean they got to ride everything walk on from then on out (around 4/5 pm when all Genie+ passes were gone except rides that were walk on). The CM tried to explain that they couldn’t even ride 2 rides with it. The guest left mad because they didn’t understand (language barrier). I thanked the CM, they could have easily just taken their money.
We had a similar thing many years ago. Indy was going down the night we arrived in Anaheim. We had multi day park hoppers and were planning to upgrade to deluxe AP’s. So we decided to go to that park right before it closed. The helpful cm wouldn’t let us in the park. I had to ask for a lead. 😂 We actually got a lot done. DH & my sis went on Indy and I got us a spot for the parade since my baby and toddler were asleep. I never would have wasted park time for a parade. I think it was paint the night. It was the first (and last) parade I’ve ever watched not in passing.

The same goes for literally all other park guests. This point shouldn't need to be brought up again and again. Disney is a theme park that everyone chooses to go to. You cannot make judgements or assumptions of guests and how they spend their park time. Disney is more than just attractions too and DAS is about attractions. I've got a DISer friend who up until last October hadn't been to MK at night in years, who mostly goes to the parks for a few hours and leaves. He and his wife are not DAS users at all. We need to stop making these types of presumptions about people's trips.
I think the reason a lot of us keep bringing this up is because that’s how we used to use the parks before we or our loved ones had a disability. It seems to me more of a venting thing and being heard than comparing to other guests. DAS AP’s and non DAS AP’s touring styles are more of an apples to apples comparison than what you’re talking about anyway.

What did intl visitors do before it went online?
I'm not sure, but it seems to be the new online chat that is causing issues for people. If the internet laws in other countries are preventing guests from using the video chat, then I feel there needs to be an alternate solution for those guests. I haven’t seen any posts that detail how it was handled prior to the new system if the guest was international, but it appears they were able to apply for DAS before they arrived somehow.

However, post #3309 isn’t the first I have seen from an international guest being told by Disney that they have to wait until they get to Orlando to find out if they will get DAS. I could never plan a vacation myself on the assumption that I might get to enjoy myself when I get there, especially one as expensive as Disney. I would go elsewhere under those conditions. I can’t think of a good excuse for making the guest wait instead of taking care of it in advance.

Disney gets a huge number of international guests, from every corner of the globe. You would think they would have a better Plan B than “Wait until you get here.”.

Our first day at our resort is May 19, but our first day in a theme park is May 20. So I can’t do the video chat tomorrow, right, I have to wait until the 20th? Or is it your first day of your resort stay is 30 days?

Guests registering for DAS in advance presently have the option of setting up 2 DAS Advance Selections per park day. These come from a limited list of attractions, which doesn't include attractions with Individual Lightning Lane or Virtual Queue. There are also limited time slots and guests can't choose the time - it's basically morning afternoon or evening.
In the beginning, it was supposed to be limited to guests who did the advance video registration, but people started reporting they were also doing in a park (must be at least 2 days in advance, not day of visit).

Information about DAS Advance Selections is no longer listed on the websites and it appears they probably will no longer be offered.

Many guests have the same experience as the poster I quoted above reported - they were not able to use the DAS Advance Selections. We don't know how many went unused, but by discontinuing offering them, Disney will have already cut the capacity of Lightning Lane 'reservations' and have more to offer
These were walk on rides mostly (except the one time I got Navi middle of day away from race weekend so even standby wasn’t bad). So I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Not sure if anyone has run into this--If you have an active DAS from the end of March and have plans to return in the beginning of May--do you have to re-register? I'm assuming we should be ok as we still have access to the little window for in park selections through the app.

Nope I had the same situation. If you want to do ride selections log into the chat like you were going to do the video call. It will give you the option of choosing your rides with a person on chat.

Our first day at our resort is May 19, but our first day in a theme park is May 20. So I can’t do the video chat tomorrow, right, I have to wait until the 20th? Or is it your first day of your resort stay is 30 days?
Call - the worse that can happen is they tell you to call back. You're probably okay though since your trip begins on the 19th. I'm planning to call and our trip is not until May 26th.

I haven’t seen any posts that detail how it was handled prior to the new system if the guest was international
Prior to Oct. 2021 DAS was only given onsite at the time of your visit. Then Disney started offering a pre-registration via video chat. It’s been my understanding that was only available to guests in the US and Canada; presumably due to international internet privacy laws though to my knowledge Disney may never have clarified why. So for 2.5 years the international guests have continued to register for DAS in-person, though some folks got around it by using a VPN. Someone recently suggested that California laws are similar to the European laws (stricter than US federal laws) so maybe WDW now has an online video system in place that will work for international guests. I only know the wording about “North American” is not currently on the website.

Under the current program it is 30-days from first park day. That said, do you have package tickets? If so, your tickets start at check-in so you may be able to do it tomorrow. If you have separate tickets that don't start until May 20th, you will probably be told it's too early.

Under the current program it is 30-days from first park day. That said, do you have package tickets? If so, your tickets start at check-in so you may be able to do it tomorrow. If you have separate tickets that don't start until May 20th, you will probably be told it's too early.
Thanks, I didn't realize it was dated from the 1st park day.

Every other trip, we have a package, but we did the 4 parks 4 days, and they don’t start until the 20th. Thanks for the info!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter