DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Honestly, I'm surprised Disney included "development disability like autism or similar" because as far as I can remember with GAC and then reading about DAS several months ago, nothing about a particular disability had been mentioned.

I think it is due to the lawsuit that was filed by previous GAC users when they switched to the DAS … that court case was mainly (from what I’ve been told) including families of individuals with autism/DD challenges. I think the idea behind including that on the announcement is that Disney is not looking to go down that road again. They did win the lawsuit by showing they the DAS was reasonable accommodations for the needs of those individuals, but most likely not looking to deal with all that again.

You have to remember, just because its possible to wait in 2 lines together it doesn't mean most users are back to back riding rides. I think people are assuming a "no problems" type of day where they can ride back to back to back the entire day.

I think the suggestion of cancelling a DAS if you place a mobile order or step into a standby line is ignoring that some people with disabilities may need a break. Maybe they grabbed a DAS and then needed to rest and went to get something to eat. The DAS time became valid and the person still waited another 30-45 minutes after that time to rest in the restaurant. Or get into a standby line and then go back to the hotel to rest, not using that DAS return time for another 3 or 4 hours.
I think too that some people do not take into consideration that many with disabilities can only stay in the parks for a few hours as opposed to able bodied people who can stay in the parks as many hours as they choose. So, yes, in my case, if there are short standby lines, you can bet your sweet bippy, we'll take advantage of those while waiting for our DAS time. We're not breaking Disney rules.

You have to remember, just because its possible to wait in 2 lines together it doesn't mean most users are back to back riding rides. I think people are assuming a "no problems" type of day where they can ride back to back to back the entire day.

I think the suggestion of cancelling a DAS if you place a mobile order or step into a standby line is ignoring that some people with disabilities may need a break. Maybe they grabbed a DAS and then needed to rest and went to get something to eat. The DAS time became valid and the person still waited another 30-45 minutes after that time to rest in the restaurant. Or get into a standby line and then go back to the hotel to rest, not using that DAS return time for another 3 or 4 hours.
I agree, there are definitely reasons that this might be a legit feature of the accommodations and in some cases it might not give DAS pass holders an added benefit .
But on paper, the way it reads is that DAS guests can stand in 2 standby lines at once without paying for genie plus. Just on the face, without looking at each persons limitations …This is an advantage that others don’t have, so I understand why some people are feeling it is an “elevated” experience.
And as someone who has been there with a. Young child with autism who only wanted to ride 2 things… I know how difficult it can be to distract in that scenario and hoe being able offer a ride on the people mover or carousel might save the day in that situation . But I also know that no kid (or adult) wants to stand in line… so I see it from both sides.

I really wish people would stop with the generalized finger pointing of oversharing and just say what they feel is over sharing so we can go back and edit posts. Makes it easier on the mods and less stressful on all the posters wondering if it's them. If it's me, tell me, and then tell me what part could be used to get DAS and I am happy to use that edit button.
Um...because then the info would be in 2 posts to get cleaned up? I posted this several pages back:

You can use the Search feature in the upper right-hand corner:
1713191174419.png

Set it to search "This Thread" and enter your username:
1713191245328.png

I really wish people would stop with the generalized finger pointing of oversharing and just say what they feel is over sharing so we can go back and edit posts. Makes it easier on the mods and less stressful on all the posters wondering if it's them. If it's me, tell me, and then tell me what part could be used to get DAS and I am happy to use that edit button.
Personally I generalized because it's been almost 160 pages and I can't recall who said what and where. Not that I feel it would be allowed to say "MrPoster#3 you are over sharing", that would be overstepping in the mods toes IMO and I've had enough of folks threatening me with bans that aren't even mods . xD

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the disability system only accessible for three rides per day? Also, from what I’ve seen lately there’s a lot of standing in the lightning lanes. Therefore, I’m not understanding some of the reactions how they’re gonna cancel their annual passes over this.?

No, that has never been true and I'm not sure where that might have come from. DAS is available on any attraction with a posted wait time, and also for VQ attractions if one obtains a boarding group in the same manner as any other guest.

For the past couple of years, DAS has allowed for 2 pre-booked Advanced Selections if doing the online pre-registration. Those rides are separate from any DAS Return Times obtained in the park. This part of DAS is expected to go away next month.

I agree, there are definitely reasons that this might be a legit feature of the accommodations and in some cases it might not give DAS pass holders an added benefit .
But on paper, the way it reads is that DAS guests can stand in 2 standby lines at once without paying for genie plus. Just on the face, without looking at each persons limitations …This is an advantage that others don’t have, so I understand why some people are feeling it is an “elevated” experience.
And as someone who has been there with a. Young child with autism who only wanted to ride 2 things… I know how difficult it can be to distract in that scenario and hoe being able offer a ride on the people mover or carousel might save the day in that situation . But I also know that no kid (or adult) wants to stand in line… so I see it from both sides.
Yes, there can be that point of view of the 'elevated experience' for sure. The reality is it isn't for the vast majority of holders who are actually matched to DAS appropriately for the need.

The overusers/liers/fraudulant folk can utilize DAS to enhance their normal behaviors for sure. Same thing is a normal person parking in a handicap space when lying to get a placard for it. The solution isn't take out the handicap slots.

IMHO - Enforcement will be a key portion with the new rollout. It wasn't prominently displayed before, it will be going forward. So those lying to get accommodations -- Disney banishment can be in their horizons.

Um...because then the info would be in 2 posts to get cleaned up? I posted this several pages back:

You can use the Search feature in the upper right-hand corner:
1713191174419.png

Set it to search "This Thread" and enter your username:
1713191245328.png
My post is pointing out that people don't always know when they are 'oversharing' or how it could be used to get DAS. It's more helpful to point out when a post crosses a line then to make a vague inference that 'someone' but not who has overshared. Is there a way to tag someone?

No, that has never been true and I'm not sure where that might have come from. DAS is available on any attraction with a posted wait time, and also for VQ attractions if one obtains a boarding group in the same manner as any other guest.

For the past couple of years, DAS has allowed for 2 pre-booked Advanced Selections if doing the online pre-registration. Those rides are separate from any DAS Return Times obtained in the park. This part of DAS is expected to go away next month.
Personally, I don't mind the advanced selections going away... quite often, I end up skipping or missing them due to current circumstances at that time. Trying to reserve them early when I don't quite know how my day is going to play out feels like I'm holding on to a spot someone else may use when I find I can't. I know you can now cancel a DAS reservation you make DAY OF (and that's a wonderful addition!!!), but I can't remember if you can cancel the advanced ones.

My post is pointing out that people don't always know when they are 'oversharing' or how it could be used to get DAS. It's more helpful to point out when a post crosses a line then to make a vague inference that 'someone' but not who has overshared. Is there a way to tag someone?
Go to the name on the <<<---- left side here; hover over the name, then click for start conversation. Best way to 'tag' by just messaging them.

For the purposes of this thread "oversharing" is if what someone posts is basically what they say to request a DAS, even if not a word-for-word script but gives a really good explanation of the challenges faced. Unfortunately, there's a ton of it on this thread because people thought they were being helpful by pointing out WHY they need DAS. But all that does is put the information out there in public view for someone else to copy/cheat/lie by "adopting" what may have been your real life example.

Yes, I use DAS and sometimes I have a return time that was hours ago and because of my various needs I don't utilize it right away.

However you must think about fakers and why DAS would appeal to them. You're allowed to be in two lines at once and many of them can and probably do have "no problems" days.

Personally I generalized because it's been almost 160 pages and I can't recall who said what and where. Not that I feel it would be allowed to say "MrPoster#3 you are over sharing", that would be overstepping in the mods toes IMO and I've had enough of folks threatening me with bans that aren't even mods . xD
Okay, the timing of the post seemed directed at me or the person I was responding to, no harm no foul. This is a forum about disabilities, some sharing and connecting via shared experiences I would think is expected but completely understand too many details can be dangerous and it's easy to get carried away. I just think it's more productive to work together and point those posts out as they're seen if possible.

Personally, I don't mind the advanced selections going away... quite often, I end up skipping or missing them due to current circumstances at that time. Trying to reserve them early when I don't quite know how my day is going to play out feels like I'm holding on to a spot someone else may use when I find I can't. I know you can now cancel a DAS reservation you make DAY OF (and that's a wonderful addition!!!), but I can't remember if you can cancel the advanced ones.
Agreed, didn't even use half of them when we had them on our last trip because the stars didn't align in order to make it to the attraction. I think they were introduced to get people to use the new online pre-registration, I don't think they were ever meant to stick around permanently.

Last edited:
However you must think about fakers and why DAS would appeal to them. You're allowed to be in two lines at once and many of them can and probably do have "no problems" days.

Disney has already done other things to deter fakers: putting a lifetime ban threat, limiting it to four people, and the changes recently made. We'll see how things shake out ultimately. But Disney sees someone going to do something else while waiting for DAS as not a problem.

Disney does not see this as a problem clearly, and the mods have politely asked people to stop proposing 'solutions' such at this.

L

If you think someone overshared, you can always report a post to the Moderators

For the purposes of this thread "oversharing" is if what someone posts is basically what they say to request a DAS, even if not a word-for-word script but gives a really good explanation of the challenges faced. Unfortunately, there's a ton of it on this thread because people thought they were being helpful by pointing out WHY they need DAS. But all that does is put the information out there in public view for someone else to copy/cheat/lie by "adopting" what may have been your real life example.
Thank you for the explanation, went back through my posts and edited what could be misused. I suggest everyone else do the same. :thumbsup2

I agree that it's likely they will start to update with more details on the date the new program starts to affect people in the 30 day before the new program goes live.

They may not post all exact accommodations that will be offered and just post more general information of different types of accommodations for different types of needs. If they are individualizing accommodations based on needs, they may start with the more general accommodations and then add other things to individualize
Agree 100% - the less that’s out out there, the less info the fakers can leverage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter