DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

From hyperusers, no doubt. especially those who probably shouldn't have DAS as the right accommodation.

I do not believe the majority of DAS holders do this regardless.

Even if Disney heads want to do this...how to implement such a block? Noone polices the standby line. How about eating which are also the resting places for many? Some have proposed blocking that too. Curious on the how with this pie in the sky proposal...can it be done?

Enforcement of abuse is a much lower hanging fruit imho
Disney App tracking would be the answer. They make the DAS selection in the app. If the phone's GPS goes into a standby queue area it cancels the DAS return time. They could get around this by leaving their phone somewhere, then going into a standby line without it. But I don't think a lot of people would do that

From hyperusers, no doubt. especially those who probably shouldn't have DAS as the right accommodation.

I do not believe the majority of DAS holders do this regardless.

Even if Disney heads want to do this...how to implement such a block? Noone polices the standby line. How about eating which are also the resting places for many? Some have proposed blocking that too. Curious on the how with this pie in the sky proposal...can it be done?

Enforcement of abuse is a much lower hanging fruit
IMO, this won't fly. You cannot tell people what they can and cannot do in their free time. If say someone is waiting for 60 minute DAS return for Space Mountain and Tomorrowland Transit Authority or People Movers have 5 minute waits, DAS holders aren't supposed to ride? Many DAS holders cannot stay in the park all day.

I understand this is personal to you and you are likely unable to see this objectively. I’m willing to bet almost no one in this thread is a faker. There isn’t some magical condition that only people that have it truly know the ins and outs about. If a clinician can learn to recognize it, someone can learn to fake it. I’m confused why you are getting upset when the only aspect of autism being discussed is how to prevent fraud, which you should be championing oddly enough.
As a clinician who went to school for 8 years and have tested and treated many children with ASD, I think it will be difficult for the avg. person to really describe why waiting in a queue will be difficult as it does vary from each individual as a spectrum. Even as someone who tests and assesses for ASD, it is not clear cut, hence why interviewing parents and observing are so critical.

IMO, this won't fly. You cannot tell people what they can and cannot do in their free time. If say someone is waiting for 60 minute DAS return for Space Mountain and Tomorrowland Transit Authority or People Movers have 5 minute waits, DAS holders aren't supposed to ride? Many DAS holders cannot stay in the park all day.
Totally agree.

Yet some people think that's perfectly reasonable counter balance to perceived advantages DAS users all utilize

As an OT, this is such a fitting analogy for what we do every day for our clients!
It's what all persons with disabilities do each and every day. Adapt. There is no option.

What a corporation can do to help, that's the question and issue at hand. It cannot adapt individually at scale. It can certainly accommodate as best it can

There are many posts in this thread where posters are mentioning THEY THINK DAS users are abusing DAS while going on other attractions while waiting for their DAS Return Time.
There have been multiple things suggested to prevent this so called 'abuse':
  • force DAS users to stay in a specific area while waiting
  • track people's phones and penalize them if they are in another line
  • track people and cancel their DAS Return Time if they go into another line
  • not allow eating or shopping
Even though YOU particular posters may consider this abuse, Disney clearly doesn't and isn't concerned about it.
From the time DAS was begun and even now, Disney includes this in their FAQs on both WDW and Disneyland websites as things a guest can do during their wait time:

"Guests utilizing DAS can enjoy many other experiences throughout Walt Disney World Resort during a DAS virtual wait, such as other rides, shows, concerts, parades and Character Greetings. They can also take a rest in a break area, get something to eat or go shopping."

Some parks have certain attractions with little demand and very short waits (looking at you, Bug's Life). Some who is not able to wait in a 15-30 minute line is not going to be going around riding all the headliners like some of you seem to think.
Screenshot from Disney World Website

IMG_3726.jpeg

There are many posts in this thread where posters are mentioning THEY THINK DAS users are abusing DAS while going on other attractions while waiting for their DAS Return Time.
Even though YOU particular posters may consider this abuse, Disney clearly doesn't and isn't concerned about it.
From the time DAS was begun and even now, Disney includes this in their FAQs as things a guest can do during their wait time:

"Guests utilizing DAS can enjoy many other experiences throughout Walt Disney World Resort during a DAS virtual wait, such as other rides, shows, concerts, parades and Character Greetings. They can also take a rest in a break area, get something to eat or go shopping."

Some parks have certain attractions with little demand and very short waits (looking at you, Bug's Life). Some who is not able to wait in a 15-30 minute line is not going to be going around riding all the headliners like some of you seem to think.

Thank you for posting this - I completely agree. Riding the PeopleMover with a 10 minute wait while waiting for a DAS ride is not abusing the system!

I suppose someone could jump into an "E-ticket" attraction while waiting for a DAS to activate for another "E-Ticket" attraction but that is not the way I believe most are using DAS.

I don't think there is anything wrong with riding a ride with a short standby line or seeing a show while waiting for DAS and definitely nothing wrong with eating or shopping while waiting for DAS.

I don't think there is anything wrong with riding a ride with a short standby line or seeing a show while waiting for DAS and definitely nothing wrong with eating or shopping while waiting for DAS.
Let's be honest - Disney doesn't want people in its walkways doing nothing. That doesn't help their bottom line OR guest satisfaction.

I decided to call Universal today and sort it out, Disney has me frazzled lol, and what the lady in the department told me is that when you register for IBCCES you list your time for travelling (specific day helps) and within 48 hours of your visit they give you a call (have your number through the IBCCES program) and discuss it and if approved you get a case number which you still need to present to Guest Services but there is no fussing when you go in person and you get your AAP card and move on. Now I did this back in December and I have a very hectic lifestyle living with UC and I forgot I did request a day in mid-August and called it in ahead of time and got my case number, lol, so whoops. But for others reading this, that is the general process. If you like to plan way ahead, as I do, then I would advise calling way before the 30 days suggested and before you buy tickets so that you have the comfort of knowing or not if you will be given special accommodations or not and plan your trip accordingly.
Something to be aware of....We went for the one and only time after my son got his case number. We had it printed out and the guest services member was able to see it on her computer. She could see my son's picture, his approval, etc. BUT the printout of his card I had was from the day before. She said she could only accept a print out with that day's date (even though she could see on her computer that he was recently approved and it didn't expire for a year). I got upset and she said the only way she could give him his pass is if I could show the card on my phone using the app. I had to stand there and hold up the line while I downloaded the app. I didn't know the password for it so I had to then reset the password. The whole time I was getting anxious and upset. We had been standing in line for awhile and the guest services person who assigned us to the line never mentioned that you had to use the app. I could have been installing the app while waiting. I really didn't understand why she needed me to show her when she had the same thing on her computer. It really turned me off to the new process (my son had had the pass previously as well). Once I got the app up, then all was well. To summarize, have the app and password already pre-loaded on the phone or be prepared to print out the card with today's date. Having the card number was not sufficient.

Something to be aware of....We went for the one and only time after my son got his case number. We had it printed out and the guest services member was able to see it on her computer. She could see my son's picture, his approval, etc. BUT the printout of his card I had was from the day before. She said she could only accept a print out with that day's date (even though she could see on her computer that he was recently approved and it didn't expire for a year). I got upset and she said the only way she could give him his pass is if I could show the card on my phone using the app. I had to stand there and hold up the line while I downloaded the app. I didn't know the password for it so I had to then reset the password. The whole time I was getting anxious and upset. We had been standing in line for awhile and the guest services person who assigned us to the line never mentioned that you had to use the app. I could have been installing the app while waiting. I really didn't understand why she needed me to show her when she had the same thing on her computer. It really turned me off to the new process (my son had had the pass previously as well). Once I got the app up, then all was well. To summarize, have the app and password already pre-loaded on the phone or be prepared to print out the card with today's date. Having the card number was not sufficient.
While I totally understand your frustration in this situation, especially since you thought you were prepared with the print-out, they are required to verify via the IBCCES App or Website in order to make sure the card is still listed as active. A print-out just tells them that it was active at the time of print out and how long it SHOULD remain active.

This requirement is just in case someone got their IBCCES Card revoked for any reason (for example, they realize after approval that the documents provided were faked).

From the time DAS was begun and even now, Disney includes this in their FAQs on both WDW and Disneyland websites as things a guest can do during their wait time:

Screenshot from Disney World Website

View attachment 852444
So say we all

Disney App tracking would be the answer. They make the DAS selection in the app. If the phone's GPS goes into a standby queue area it cancels the DAS return time. They could get around this by leaving their phone somewhere, then going into a standby line without it. But I don't think a lot of people would do that
Easier..turn off the app since only tracking while.open. or just logout. No easy way to implement a reliable.process let alone the nebulous aspect of it.

Not so easy, this process thing.

I think all lines have genie plus or individual LL ? Except for the virtual lines? Or do they still have LL too?
I think there are still a few rides that don’t have any G+ or ILL and are only standby (although as mention up thread DAS can get a return time). This is the list I found…
MK:
  • Astro Orbiter
  • Country Bear Jamboree
  • The Hall of Presidents
  • Liberty Square Riverboat
  • Main Street Vehicles
  • Meet Characters from Aladdin in Adventureland
  • Meet Daring Disney Pals as Circus Stars at Pete’s Silly Sideshow
  • Meet Dashing Disney Pals as Circus Stars at Pete’s Silly Sideshow
  • Meet Merida at Fairytale Garden
  • Meet Winnie the Pooh and Tigger at The Thotful Spot
  • Mickey’s Magical Friendship Faire
  • Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
  • Swiss Family Treehouse
  • Tom Sawyer Island
  • Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
  • Walt Disney World Railroad
  • Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress
  • Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room
EPCOT
  • The American Adventure
  • Awesome Planet
  • Beauty and the Beast Sing-Along
  • Bruce’s Shark World
  • Canada Far and Wide in Circle-Vision 360
  • Entertainment at Canada Mill Stage
  • Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros
  • Impressions de France
  • Matsuriza
  • Meet a Favorite Pal at Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival
  • Meet Alice in the United Kingdom
  • Meet Anna and Elsa at Royal Sommerhus
  • Meet Belle in France
  • Meet Donald Duck in Mexico
  • Meet Joy Inside ImageWorks
  • Meet Mulan in China
  • Meet Princess Jasmine in Morocco
  • Meet Snow White in Germany
  • Meet Vanellope Inside ImageWorks
  • Music of Mexico (Mariachi Cobre)
  • Reflections of China
  • SeaBase
  • Voices of Liberty (American Adventure)
HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
  • Disney Movie Magic
  • Fantasmic!
  • Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy
  • Meet Disney Junior Pals in Animation Courtyard
  • Meet Disney Stars at Red Carpet Dreams
  • Meet Sulley at Walt Disney Presents
  • Meet the Toys in Toy Story Land
  • Star Wars Launch Bay
  • Star Wars Launch Bay: Meet Chewbacca
  • Vacation Fun — An Original Animated Short with Mickey & Minnie
  • Walt Disney Presents
  • Wonderful World of Animation
ANIMAL KINGDOM
  • Affection Section
  • Animal Encounters: Winged Encounters — The Kingdom Takes Flight
  • The Boneyard
  • Conservation Station
  • Discovery Island Trails
  • Fossil Fun Games
  • Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail
  • Maharajah Jungle Trek
  • Tree of Life Awakenings
  • TriceraTop Spin
  • Wildlife Express Train

Absolutely. Which is why I am very happy Disney is starting to take measures to combat it so guests who truly need DAS can get it.

Where did I say that?

You are the one that said that folks with disabilities have it harder than everyone else. That's just untrue. I am not saying that folks with disabilities have it easy or shouldn't get accommodations. I am saying that DAS is not meant to compensate for real life hardships. It's simply meant to help guests make Disney possible for them.
You said your life was harder than anyone's in a first world country, I don't know if you realize but that includes people with disabilities, your statement was too broad

starlite_ said:
I was born in a "third" world country. It cost me a lot more money, a lot more mental, physical AND emotional exhaustion to get where I am today than anyone born in a "first" world country. Should I, and other's in my circumstances (or in worst circumstances) get extra benefits at the expense of other guests? If society can give just a little bit of their day to make up for it.....

Don't make assumptions like that, because it's entirely possible that there could be/and probably is worse off people born in a "first" world country than your situation

My son got his newest DAS the morning the day of the announcement, but before the announcement. We were told 60 days at the renewal, but I’m assuming it will actually be 30?

I have been following, and at first I was very anxious and now that I have calmed a bit I am sad. I am sad that people have abused a system that is so important and helpful to many. I am sad that people have been rude to others. I am also sad for those that really have benefited from DAS and that their time with their families may have to be adjusted. I do not want to get into the exact details why I and another family member have used DAS, but under current theories, I may not be able to use it anymore. The thing is, I was told about this service and offered help by Disney cast members originally. They noticed the struggles we were having and told us there was help to alleviate the issues and sent us to guest relations. We have used DAS on the last few trips and it makes the trip a completely different experience. I have done so well, that I have a trip booked to take my 14yr old daughter and her best friend on my own in August. I was confident that I could keep up and ensure a good trip for them. I am now unsure, but trying to be hopeful Disney will offer alternate suggestions. I have found this community here on the DIS to be welcoming and supportive most of the time, I hope we can all continue in that manner no matter what the end result with DAS is. Maybe we can even find a place where we can support those who were using DAS in the past and no longer can with suggestions of how they now manage issues for health needs and respite once we know more going forward.
I feel this! I am taking DD (14) next month, overlapping the change. I do my chat tomorrow and am so nervous about it. DD has Type 1 Diabetes but I have never gotten her the DAS pass for that as my condition always allowed for the pass, which has benefitted both of us as she has had some blood sugar issues while in the parks. I feel like having DAS has alleviated some of the stresses of my condition and allowed me to have fun and try to relax. I know how to handle myself and my condition. I'm sad that it is now up to someone else to say, "no, you're fine, no DAS for you". Not trying to be melodramatic, but I know me. Someone I'm talking to through a screen doesn't understand my day to day life and if getting an accessibility pass for a trip for a few days gives me some momentary relief, I really wish that could be granted. I know I have the choice of whether to go to Disney or not, but having been able to use the pass and knowing how helpful it really is, it's a hard thing to now shift my brain back.

Thanks for the heads up, luckily I downloaded the app this week anyways, so I'm all set. But good that you posted, so others download too beforehand and don't experience what you went through

My son got his newest DAS the morning the day of the announcement, but before the announcement. We were told 60 days at the renewal, but I’m assuming it will actually be 30?
Others have reported they were told that a DAS obtained prior to the announcement is valid for the 60 days, however they have the option of doing another video chat sooner if they so desire and that would be under the new rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter