DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

what if you don't allow DAS users to purchase G+ anymore
I don’t know if that would be legal. But it would also remove the opportunity for a DAS guest to ride twice in relatively short time by aligning a DAS Return Time with a G+ window. Many people with ASD enjoy “looping” or riding multiple times, and Disney had previously suggested FP+ and more recently G+ as an option to do so.

I have been following, and at first I was very anxious and now that I have calmed a bit I am sad. I am sad that people have abused a system that is so important and helpful to many. I am sad that people have been rude to others. I am also sad for those that really have benefited from DAS and that their time with their families may have to be adjusted. I do not want to get into the exact details why I and another family member have used DAS, but under current theories, I may not be able to use it anymore. The thing is, I was told about this service and offered help by Disney cast members originally. They noticed the struggles we were having and told us there was help to alleviate the issues and sent us to guest relations. We have used DAS on the last few trips and it makes the trip a completely different experience. I have done so well, that I have a trip booked to take my 14yr old daughter and her best friend on my own in August. I was confident that I could keep up and ensure a good trip for them. I am now unsure, but trying to be hopeful Disney will offer alternate suggestions. I have found this community here on the DIS to be welcoming and supportive most of the time, I hope we can all continue in that manner no matter what the end result with DAS is. Maybe we can even find a place where we can support those who were using DAS in the past and no longer can with suggestions of how they now manage issues for health needs and respite once we know more going forward.

So then rider switch / return would be the accommodation for some disabilities then just an upgrade available to a skip the line service, just like the standard guest has an upgrade available to a skip the line service. They could even limit the upgrades per day at that point. Interesting thought!

Would be interesting to see what legal experts would think about DAS being free for some disabilities but then a paid upgrade for other guests with disabilities that weren't eligible. I guess it's not that different than some people using their own ECVs and then others renting them from Disney?

Yeah it presents an issue that some guests get it free while others may have to pay for it - maybe? But I'm not a legal expert what-so-ever, so I am just guessing at this point.

Someone earlier said it would be illegal to charge for DAS since it is an accommodation - but I think Disney really just needs to offer some kind of accommodation for free, so if DAS was an upcharge over that accommodation it should be fine. The sticky bit becomes if some guests get it free while others do not.

TBH, I'm really just trying to find some kind of middle ground where Disney gets what it wants, while people who may want to keep DAS can still do it - and Disney is happy since the reason they want less DAS people in the Lightning Lane is they likely want to sell Genie+ to more people.

Both of these were spoken to up thread. Yes, you have to offer g+ to everyone, including those who qualify for DAS. @Tatebeck

You can’t make someone pay for DAS. It’s against the ADA.

Which also makes me question that petition. What are they talking about free or low cost? And it’s been suggested Disney used its DAS employees for feedback. SMH
Yeah the petition is a piece of work. I mean, people can have at it and sign it, but I recall that the people freaking out when GAC was changed to DAS had a petition with 40k or so signatures.

The rollout has been been horrid , with so little info, but I highly doubt that Disney would do anything like this without being on sound legal footing.

Both of these were spoken to up thread. Yes, you have to offer g+ to everyone, including those who qualify for DAS. @Tatebeck

Which also makes me question that petition. What are they talking about free or low cost? And it’s been suggested Disney used its DAS employees for feedback. SMH

If an appropriate accommodation is offered for free, would it be illegal to charge for DAS? They aren't "making" you pay for it, it would be an upcharge. So Rider Switch is the accommodation, DAS is the upcharge.

On the petition, they suggest lowering the price of Genie+ or including some number of free Genie+ Lightning Lanes to all guests to reduce abuse of DAS.

Something interesting I thought of today since one of my last posts yesterday was comparing current DAS and Genie+ and how some members use both.

I was thinking first of how useful DAS is and how crazy useful it can be when an abuser/faker ALSO uses G+. I thought, what if you don't allow DAS users to purchase G+ anymore, since DAS is usually superior anyway? They share some things in common, but are different enough to be useful together and that may cut down on people faking or abusing DAS + Genie+. If someone is looking for the absolute shortest waits all day, they would combine both, so making them jump through hoops for DAS may not be as worth it.

But then I got to thinking if they would even be able to do that. Is the reason they keep DAS and G+ different enough to be compatible together because they actually have to offer it to all DAS guests? Every normal guest has an option to buy G+ if they want, so at the start of every day would every DAS guest have to be able to buy it as well, even though DAS is similar (and most people thing superior) in it's current form?

Just some thoughts!
The stacking is ABSOLUTELY what makes the abuse rampant. FP, or G+, PLUS DAS is phenomenal. You are virtually waiting in two lines. And DAS let's you wait in lines that aren't even available to G+.

I’m sorry you feel that way. There has definitely been some strong feelings discussed here. People are afraid of losing accommodations, worried for their vacation plans. I don’t think anyone here is “at fault” for using a DAS that was granted to them by Disney. CMs got lax over time, possibly worn down by rude or angry guests, possibly just inadequate training. Any “fault” lies squarely on Disney.

I am certain WDW will have a way to accommodate you with your young child. It may or may not be different.
Thank you for that, and for all of your work this week!

Yeah the petition is a piece of work. I mean, people can have at it and sign it, but I recall that the people freaking out when GAC was changed to DAS had a petition with 40k or so signatures.

The rollout has been been horrid , with so little info, but I highly doubt that Disney would do anything like this without being on sound legal footing.
I think the petition is inappropriate for only one reason:

They started it too soon. There’s not enough information on what accommodations will be offered (and for who). It would be one thing to start a petition once everything is made more clear.

My partner actually told me he reported it for this reason.

I think the petition is inappropriate for only one reason:

They started it too soon. There’s not enough information on what accommodations will be offered (and for who). It would be one thing to start a petition once everything is made more clear.

My partner actually told me he reported it for this reason.

I agree, we probably need more information from Disney. Maybe Disney should have thought of that before they made this announcement though :)

Which lines? I'm sincerely asking.

Any ride on Individual Lightning Lane is not in Genie+ and at Disneyland for example, rides that do not have Lightning Lanes can still get a DAS return time (like the old Fantasyland rides). I think in WDW, most ride have a Lightning Lane, so there are very few examples of a ride that you can get a DAS for but not a Lightning Lane through Genie+.

If an appropriate accommodation is offered for free, would it be illegal to charge for DAS? They aren't "making" you pay for it, it would be an upcharge. So Rider Switch is the accommodation, DAS is the upcharge.

On the petition, they suggest lowering the price of Genie+ or including some number of free Genie+ Lightning Lanes to all guests to reduce abuse of DAS.
I claim no specific knowledge of law. But from what I understand of ADA you can’t charge for an accommodation. And if it was only offered to the disabled group, wouldn’t it still be an accommodation?

I agree, we probably need more information from Disney. Maybe Disney should have thought of that before they made this announcement though :)
Oh 100%. I really have no idea who at Disney thought announcing this change with the bare minimum amount of information would result in anything other than a panic.

Those looking to fight back / petition will have an easier time doing so once there’s more information to utilize, however. I’m all for people having their voices and concerns heard but I don’t think it’ll go far at this point in time when we don’t even have a clear idea of how they plan to run accommodations going forward.

I claim no specific knowledge of law. But from what I understand of ADA you can’t charge for an accommodation. And if it was only offered to the disabled group, wouldn’t it still be an accommodation?
I'm not being snarky here, as I have no knowledge of the law, but how is it then legal to charge people to rent wheelchairs and ECVs or to pay for things like stim toys and/or headphones? What requires DAS to be free while the other options are not? Is it not legal to ask us to pay for it the way we pay for other devices?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not the smartest gal in Florida.

I'm still unsure if they HAVE to offer it to DAS since DAS does a lot of the same things. Even if they have to offer it to all DAS guests, maybe they could modify it in a way that you cannot have a booked LL and a DAS standby timer going at the same time or something else to make it less useful for abusers

I'm pretty sure they WOULD be able to upcharge for BETTER accommodations, as long as they are already providing a reasonable accommodation for them already though. An example that comes to mind is a person who has a mobility disability and comes to the park with a walker. They usually use their walker only. Disney allows them their walker, that's the accommodation. The guest may decide once getting to Disney that it is WAY more walking than they are used to, and decide to rent an ECV. They just paid more for a better accommodation, and that is currently allowed.

The only problem would be if they would get into trouble for offering it for free to those who need it and making others pay. They don't really give out ECVs after all. But they could just make them 2 different products technically. DAS is the free option and call the other Instant swap or something.

I'm not being snarky here, as I have no knowledge of the law, but how is it then legal to charge people to rent wheelchairs and ECVs or to pay for things like stim toys and/or headphones? What requires DAS to be free while the other options are not? Is it not legal to ask us to pay for it the way we pay for other devices?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not the smartest gal in Florida.
The things you mentioned are considered personal items. The ADA ensures that people are able to use these types of personal items, but does not require businesses to provide them.

https://www.ada.gov/resources/opdmds/

At WDW rider swap is only offered if there is a non-rider — at least to-date. As I’ve mentioned before, there has been a lot of speculation and assumption on this thread about rider swap. Truth is…we simply don’t know what WDW has planned.
I’m in the world for next 9 days

Decided to take an unofficial
Survey via talking to various GS & blue umbrella CMs. Of course, YMMV. Just sharing my specific experience

Today was @ MGM. Four prominent things stood out for me:

1. The DAS my party started today absolutely is good ‘as is’ for 60 days. Explained because it was acquired before the announcement

2. Was told even so, can still apply for the new accommodation 30
Days prior to next trip (that starts on June 26.). The reason: “they are entirely two different things” Found this very 🧐

3. all CMs referenced there would be “no advance DAS selections given to anyone” under the new program

4. No prior medical records would be involved, it will be a clean slate. Individual needs will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and they expect the interviews will go into more depth to give guests the chance to express themselves

It wasn’t as though any CMs were being vague or surreptitious. Pleasantly answered the questions I posed to them. Had expected to be told they couldn’t discuss at this point.

However, all were definitely on script. It’s obvious there’s been some pre training delivered already

we shall see

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter