DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Right. But when someone does their disability call and are told ‘no, you don’t qualify for das, try rider switch’. They could say, “but it’s just me, I have no one to switch with” to get full DAS approval. Then later go add people. So as someone mentioned hopefully they’ll have an appropriate accommodation for groups of 1-2 that don’t qualify for full das other than rider switch.
I wasn’t aware that would occur. I thought it would be a straight yes or no with the pass regardless of number.

I wasn’t aware that would occur. I thought it would be a straight yes or no with the pass regardless of number.
It may well be, we just don't know yet. The idea that it *might* work that way kind of arose out of what Disneyland has on their site about rider switch for some disabilities, and how that wouldn't work with a party of one, so would they get a DAS instead.

All pure conjecture on our part, I should have made that clear in my posts about this.

There isn’t an issue with 1 vs 2 if offered a DAS. There’s a lot of unknowns right now with regards to the “other” accommodations for guests who aren’t offered DAS. A lot of speculation. When you do the pre-registration video chat, I suggest mentioning that you will be buying a ticket to join your husband.

Right. But when someone does their disability call and are told ‘no, you don’t qualify for das, try rider switch’. They could say, “but it’s just me, I have no one to switch with” to get full DAS approval. Then later go add people. So as someone mentioned hopefully they’ll have an appropriate accommodation for groups of 1-2 that don’t qualify for full das other than rider switch.
They would then be eligible for a lifetime ban for stating something that was untrue during their interview, no? That would be pretty easy to catch.

There is such a fine line.

I'd say a solid 90% of the time, I fall into the category of DAS user + a young child, for whom rider switch wouldn't work. Sometimes my elderly parents will travel with us, and even less frequently they'll decide to accompany us on a ride (we're talking attractions with no height requirements not ROTR). Do I fall into the category of someone who is deceitful by saying rider switch wouldn't work only to add people later?

Anyway, my point is that there are so many different scenarios - it's truly impossible to play them all out. I'm not in disagreement that DAS could benefit from a major revamp, but there does seem to be an undercurrent (knowingly or not) of folks implying that anyone who gets DAS due to a physical condition/disability is somehow selfish or intentionally trying to break the rules.

I'm not directing this at smartlabelprint - just that after reading through all 151 pages... it feels like this is the source of some of our collective frustration.

They would then be eligible for a lifetime ban for stating something that was untrue during their interview, no? That would be pretty easy to catch.
What if your husband is military on deployment and comes home early and makes it a surprise so he can come with you on your trip that he was previously unable to attend due to deployment? How is a lifetime ban appropriate?

What if your husband is military on deployment and comes home early and makes it a surprise so he can come with you on your trip that he was previously unable to attend due to deployment? How is a lifetime ban appropriate?
Well, obviously that isn't the scenario being discussed. Someone lying about the number of people they're bringing to try to skirt an accommodation option they don't want =/= being surprised by a spouse coming home from deployment. Rider swap typically isn't offered for a party of only 2 regardless.

I'm thinking it will go like:
"I'd like to add 3 people to my party".
"OK no problem, we see you were a party of 1 before with DAS, but now you're a party of 4 we'll change that to rider switch".

I'd say a solid 90% of the time, I fall into the category of DAS user + a young child, for whom rider switch wouldn't work. Sometimes my elderly parents will travel with us, and even less frequently they'll decide to accompany us on a ride (we're talking attractions with no height requirements not ROTR). Do I fall into the category of someone who is deceitful by saying rider switch wouldn't work only to add people later?

Anyway, my point is that there are so many different scenarios - it's truly impossible to play them all out. I'm not in disagreement that DAS could benefit from a major revamp, but there does seem to be an undercurrent (knowingly or not) of folks implying that anyone who gets DAS due to a physical condition/disability is somehow selfish or intentionally trying to break the rules.

I'm not directing this at smartlabelprint - just that after reading through all 151 pages... it feels like this is the source of some of our collective frustration.
Speaking only for myself, I don't think that the vast majority of people on this thread would intentionally try to game any system that Disney comes up with...the situation you're describing is definitely one that could come up, and of course you wouldn't be trying to game the system.

At the same time, if Disney is serious about cutting out both the abuse and the overuse, they'll have to anticipate and plan how they would handle a situation such as yours; not because you are trying to game the system, but because there are plenty of people who would. First the GAC, and now the DAS, have become unsustainable because Disney gradually relaxed the rules and made exceptions that scammers then used, and which have contributed to the system becoming overwhelmed.

So for example, and again, this is ALL pure conjecture on my part, nothing more, nothing less...in your situation, where a rider switch wouldn't work because you can't leave your young child alone, you might be issued a DAS but it would be set so that no one else could be added to it.

Again, I don't want think most people on this board would try to game the system, even if they are unhappy with the changes.

No, I don’t think that everyone would do this to break the rules. But it’s a perfect set up for those that would and I’d hope they’ll have a program to pre-empt the cheaters.

Rider swap typically isn't offered for a party of only 2 regardless.
At WDW rider swap is only offered if there is a non-rider — at least to-date. As I’ve mentioned before, there has been a lot of speculation and assumption on this thread about rider swap. Truth is…we simply don’t know what WDW has planned.

Maybe Disney should have some DAS guest appreciation days. We should get to experience the parks without standby guests lunging infront of our wheelchairs for a change!

Just kidding but the thought just crossed my mind

I appreciate your humor and I’ll add my own. If everyone at the park has DAS, how would they decide who had to stand in the standby lines?! Bc if there’s as many DAS users as everyone thinks…there would still be lines 🤣🤷🏼‍♀️🤣 Let me guess, Disney would charge for LL usage and all the people that are saying Genie+ can’t work for them, might suddenly be finding ways to make it work! Oh wait, that’s essentially what is happening now with regular standby/Genie/DAS 🙈

No, I don’t think that everyone would do this to break the rules. But it’s a perfect set up for those that would and I’d hope they’ll have a program to pre-empt the cheaters.
Anyone who actually is caught lying in this scenario should be met by OCSO and given this as a souvenir:

Attachments

• IMG_6997.jpeg
    IMG_6997.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 35
Something interesting I thought of today since one of my last posts yesterday was comparing current DAS and Genie+ and how some members use both.

I was thinking first of how useful DAS is and how crazy useful it can be when an abuser/faker ALSO uses G+. I thought, what if you don't allow DAS users to purchase G+ anymore, since DAS is usually superior anyway? They share some things in common, but are different enough to be useful together and that may cut down on people faking or abusing DAS + Genie+. If someone is looking for the absolute shortest waits all day, they would combine both, so making them jump through hoops for DAS may not be as worth it.

But then I got to thinking if they would even be able to do that. Is the reason they keep DAS and G+ different enough to be compatible together because they actually have to offer it to all DAS guests? Every normal guest has an option to buy G+ if they want, so at the start of every day would every DAS guest have to be able to buy it as well, even though DAS is similar (and most people thing superior) in it's current form?

Just some thoughts!

after reading through all 151 pages... it feels like this is the source of some of our collective frustration.

I’m sorry you feel that way. There has definitely been some strong feelings discussed here. People are afraid of losing accommodations, worried for their vacation plans. I don’t think anyone here is “at fault” for using a DAS that was granted to them by Disney. CMs got lax over time, possibly worn down by rude or angry guests, possibly just inadequate training. Any “fault” lies squarely on Disney.

I am certain WDW will have a way to accommodate you with your young child. It may or may not be different.

Something interesting I thought of today since one of my last posts yesterday was comparing current DAS and Genie+ and how some members use both.

I was thinking first of how useful DAS is and how crazy useful it can be when an abuser/faker ALSO uses G+. I thought, what if you don't allow DAS users to purchase G+ anymore, since DAS is usually superior anyway? They share some things in common, but are different enough to be useful together and that may cut down on people faking or abusing DAS + Genie+. If someone is looking for the absolute shortest waits all day, they would combine both, so making them jump through hoops for DAS may not be as worth it.

But then I got to thinking if they would even be able to do that. Is the reason they keep DAS and G+ different enough to be compatible together because they actually have to offer it to all DAS guests? Every normal guest has an option to buy G+ if they want, so at the start of every day would every DAS guest have to be able to buy it as well, even though DAS is similar (and most people thing superior) in it's current form?

Just some thoughts!

This is where my thought came on, what if they offered an accommodation such as Rider Switch or Return to queue, but if you wanted to you could also pay for DAS if you had a disability but not one that qualified for DAS normally? If you bought DAS then you can't buy Genie+

That would kind of / sort of be like an equivalent experience, a normal guest could choose to wait in the standby line or buy Genie+. A guest that qualified for accommodations could get rider switch / return to queue for free, but could also choose to buy DAS.

Just brainstorming here - I don't know if that is realistically a good answer or not.

So then rider switch / return would be the accommodation for some disabilities then just an upgrade available to a skip the line service, just like the standard guest has an upgrade available to a skip the line service. They could even limit the upgrades per day at that point. Interesting thought!

Would be interesting to see what legal experts would think about DAS being free for some disabilities but then a paid upgrade for other guests with disabilities that weren't eligible. I guess it's not that different than some people using their own ECVs and then others renting them from Disney?

This is where my thought came on, what if they offered an accommodation such as Rider Switch or Return to queue, but if you wanted to you could also pay for DAS if you had a disability but not one that qualified for DAS normally? If you bought DAS then you can't buy Genie+

That would kind of / sort of be like an equivalent experience, a normal guest could choose to wait in the standby line or buy Genie+. A guest that qualified for accommodations could get rider switch / return to queue for free, but could also choose to buy DAS.

Just brainstorming here - I don't know if that is realistically a good answer or not.
Both of these were spoken to up thread. Yes, you have to offer g+ to everyone, including those who qualify for DAS. @Tatebeck

You can’t make someone pay for DAS. It’s against the ADA.

Which also makes me question that petition. What are they talking about free or low cost? And it’s been suggested Disney used its DAS employees for feedback. SMH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter