DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I’d still like to know how DAS holders feel about restricting use of the DAS based on the reason for getting it.

So if you get it because you can’t be in direct sunlight, would you be ok with having DAS disabled after sunset? If you are able to 30 minutes, are you ok with having it disabled for attractions with less than a 30 minute wait time? If you only have issue with specific queues due to the way they’re set up, would you be ok with only having DAS available for those queues?

I’d still like to know how DAS holders feel about restricting use of the DAS based on the reason for getting it.

So if you get it because you can’t be in direct sunlight, would you be ok with having DAS disabled after sunset? If you are able to 30 minutes, are you ok with having it disabled for attractions with less than a 30 minute wait time? If you only have issue with specific queues due to the way they’re set up, would you be ok with only having DAS available for those queues?
I do feel like this would be a helpful solution for people who need to avoid certain queues but not all. Maybe Disney needs to think back on how the old stamp system was useful in some ways and utilize some sort of digital version of that.

Ex: Can’t stand in the sun? You get a DAS that only lets you book a return time for rides with outdoor queues (during the daytime hours).

I do feel like this would be a helpful solution for people who need to avoid certain queues but not all. Maybe Disney needs to think back on how the old stamp system was useful in some ways and utilize some sort of digital version of that.

Ex: Can’t stand in the sun? You get a DAS that only lets you book a return time for rides with outdoor queues (during the daytime hours).
Agree 100%, and it wouldn’t be difficult to implement.

I’m just curious about how DAS holders would feel about it.

That would be fine with me. I wouldn't mind at all having the ability to virtually join a queue through DAS revoked for any rides at which the standby wait is below 30 minutes. If I felt 30 minutes was too long at that time, I just wouldn't ride. It's more than fair.

Agree 100%, and it wouldn’t be difficult to implement.

I’m just curious about how DAS holders would feel about it.
Not at all difficult with current technology. I’d also love to hear from those whose needs could possibly be addressed in this way.

I recall a few people saying they only use their DAS for queues that were problematic for them so I feel like those who were already doing so would be fine with this type of system being offered.

That would be fine with me. I wouldn't mind at all having the ability to virtually join a queue through DAS revoked for any rides at which the standby wait is below 30 minutes. If I felt 30 minutes was too long at that time, I just wouldn't ride. It's more than fair.
I wouldn’t want it to revoke an already booked return time, I think that wouldn’t be fair to the DAS holder, as they may have already begun taking care of other needs, etc. I’m thinking more of if you go to book a return time and it’s at or under the states “I can wait this long” when the DAS is issued, it wouldn’t be available to book at all until the standby time goes up.

If that makes sense😂

For our situation, I wouldn't mind if DAS was taken away for rides with shorter waits because the reason we need DAS is for the longer waits. But being able to book from the app is a big help for us. We used to have to go to the umbrellas to ask for return times and it was a lot of back and forth and then we'd have to stand in a crowded cluster. Just not ideal and a lot of wasted time.

I mean, assumedly a real person with such issues would present all of their potential issues out front [without saying what their own diagnosis is]. I'd think anyone would give an odd glance if someone called for one set of issues, got rejected, and then called back for another different set of issues altogether. Since they take your picture etc. it's easy to track.

Though I would say such cases should be limited to calls taken within the same time period for a trip. After all, there are also times when something may develop a disorder [PTSD, etc.] or the brain changes from an injury and

There have been reports on this forum from people in the past who have tried to get a DAS who have multiple potentially qualifying conditions, and while the person is explaining their needs re: the first, the CM decides it does not qualify and shuts the conversation down; the person never gets to bring up the other needs. This has happened with both the chat/video system and with in person CM at the parks.

Maybe it doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and likely will still happen, so one very legitly could be calling back with a seemingly "new" issue because one got shut down by the CM the first time, except it isn't actually new.

I wouldn’t want it to revoke an already booked return time, I think that wouldn’t be fair to the DAS holder, as they may have already begun taking care of other needs, etc. I’m thinking more of if you go to book a return time and it’s at or under the states “I can wait this long” when the DAS is issued, it wouldn’t be available to book at all until the standby time goes up.

If that makes sense😂
It does! My bad, that's what I meant - I'd be okay with not being able to book a return time for any ride that has a wait time under 30 mins. Seems more than fair. I'd also be okay with not being allowed to join other standby lines while waiting for my next ride.

Heck, I had to bail out of Space Mountain, Test Track, and Soarin even with DAS returns because the waits were too long, so I likely wouldn't be heading for another ride anyway.

Your stance makes sense and honestly is beyond fair. If an accommodation fulfills its purpose, even if it's not as good as what was offered before / is not the preferred accommodation, then that is all Disney is obligated to offer.

I'm just glad they and Universal have programs (that go above and beyond the bare minimums) in place to help people at all.

For our situation, I wouldn't mind if DAS was taken away for rides with shorter waits because the reason we need DAS is for the longer waits. But being able to book from the app is a big help for us. We used to have to go to the umbrellas to ask for return times and it was a lot of back and forth and then we'd have to stand in a crowded cluster. Just not ideal and a lot of wasted time.
Agree, this could all be done via the app, as it is now.

Wait times are already there and being used, so it’s a matter of filtering the shorter times out so that they aren’t bookable.

And adding a table with attraction profiles ( switchback queues, outdoor sunny queues, enclosed/tight space queues, etc) would be very easy.

I'm not going to lie. This is really scary. Narrowing DAS to only those with developmental delays will really impact my family's ability to do WDW and DL. We need DAS due to my youngest being medically complex. If we are stuck in a winding line with no way out and he needs airway clearance, we will hold up the whole line. He can be sensitive to heat. Literally everything takes us twice as long as everyone else due to my kiddo's complex needs. I am hoping there is still some form of access accommodations available to us or I fear our safe place to go will no longer feel that way.
I’m right there with you. My daughter has epilepsy and if she were to have a seizure in one of the long winding lines, it would be difficult to get her out of line or get help to her quickly. It is sad this change is necessary to alleviate a burden created by those who abuse it. What’s to keep abuse from happening now? Perhaps documentation should be required like Universal now does.

If that makes sense😂
I hear what you are saying, but it assumes a DAS-holder is near the attraction and/or ready to enter the queue. It would preclude one from obtaining a DAS Return Time just before stopping at First Aid to attend to a disability need, or stop for a snack and bring up a blood sugar low. DAS-holders may have multiple disabilities, one which makes them eligible for DAS but also comorbidities like diabetes. Restricting their access to schedule a Return Time and then take care of their disability needs would be discriminatory.

I hear what you are saying, but it assumes a DAS-holder is near the attraction and/or ready to enter the queue. It would preclude one from obtaining a DAS Return Time just before stopping at First Aid to attend to a disability need, or stop for a snack and bring up a blood sugar low. DAS-holders may have multiple disabilities, one which makes them eligible for DAS but also comorbidities like diabetes. Restricting their access to schedule a Return Time and then take care of their disability needs would be discriminatory.
Fair enough, that makes perfect sense, and I hadn’t thought of that part of it.

I can understand this perspective as well but I feel like you could have the option to explain why you/they need to be able to book a return regardless of the wait time?

This restriction would not apply if you explain that you need to be able to schedule/plan your day in order for an accommodation to work for you. This could apply to your example of attending to needs related to a disability or someone with a DD who needs to plan their day and follow through with plans. These people would not have a restriction placed on their account for a minimum wait time that would make DAS available, but for some people this restriction would be fine.

That's the thing many are not understanding, they can't just add capacity to fix the issue.

They can't increase Lightning Lane capacity. Ride capacity is a set number per hour. You can't just increase LL as then nobody in standby would be able to ride anything.

For example a rides capacity is 1000 guests per hour. With the numbers of 70% DAS using LL takes out 700 of that 1000 guests. Leaving 300 for Genie+ and standby. You figure 200 of that 300 left will be for Genie+ so that leaves 100 standby guests per hour can ride it.

Hopefully they helps some understand why the changes.
But aren't we talking about two different things at once now? There's LL capacity, which I would define as how many people can be in the LL line itself. And then there's ride capacity, which is how many people overall can ride the attraction per hour.

We've all seen them increase LL capacity as needed, such as Haunted Mansion when from time to time a CM is out there with a stick halfway down the park saying this is where the LL begins.

In your example (assuming the 70% DAS number is realistic) it may appear that only 100 standby guests per hour would be getting through. But please don't forget, DAS people ARE standby guests in that they got into line a long time ago...often HOURS ago and they have been waiting the standby wait time just like everybody else in the standby line.

So using your example numbers they'd actually be letting through 800 standby guests per hour not 100. DAS users ARE standby and it's their turn.

Also using your extreme scenario I would point out what would happen to standby times if they were letting 90% LL through. The standby time would shoot up. What would this mean for DAS users? Their return time would go later and later, thereby giving relief to the LL line size and the need to let so many LL through.

It's pretty close. These are the numbers that Disney released from the 2020 lawsuit.
3.3% of the people in the park were using 30% of Toy Story's ride capacity.

Disney said on that use of the system has tripled in the last 5 years.

Okay, so if back in 2013, 3.3% of guests were using 30% of ride capacity at a popular ride, and use has tripled since then, you'd think roughly 33% to 90% of riders on popular rides were using DAS to access the ride.
Back in 2013 the crowds were lower as well. WDW hasn’t expanded their park offerings as much hence the overcrowding. They expanded their resort offering considerably making it more lucrative for those in wheelchairs to access say Epcot/HS via the Skyliner.

They could limit park hopping and bring back park passes to control crowds. They are focusing on short term profits (somewhat understandable given the lockdown and the money spent on park/resorts) vs long terms goodwill/gains.

For many people/conditions, getting all of the necessary appointments to determine a diagnosis can be cost-prohibitive. Just saying if you can afford Disney then you can afford to get diagnosed doesn't really cut it in many scenarios and also leaves out that some people are gifted their Disney trips by family or others. So not everyone who goes to Disney can afford the oftentimes ridiculously expensive appts and tests required for a diagnosis.
I agree that since documentation is not required, then theoretically diagnosis is not required either. Does that mean anyone can self-diagnose to be having whatever condition gets them DAS? Clearly it's not the spirit of DAS. But if I were to describe my neurotypical 4yo, he would certainly qualify for not being able to stand in long lines. Because it's a perfectly normal behavior for a toddler/small child to be overwhelmed by crowds and noise, to have a meltdown and to need to go somewhere quiet. I wish all kids under 4/5 automatically qualified for some kind of accommodation and not be expected to stand in 120 min lines, which is completely not age-appropriate for them. But we all know that's not the purpose of DAS and it shouldn't be used this way.
However, saying medical diagnosis is not a prerequisite opens the door to little kids "needing" DAS. I pay for Genie+ as it's the only way we can do anything at Disney. Many DAS users are complaining about having to pay. Parents of little kids are already living this reality.

But aren't we talking about two different things at once now? There's LL capacity, which I would define as how many people can be in the LL line itself. And then there's ride capacity, which is how many people overall can ride the attraction per hour.

We've all seen them increase LL capacity as needed, such as Haunted Mansion when from time to time a CM is out there with a stick halfway down the park saying this is where the LL begins.

In your example (assuming the 70% DAS number is realistic) it may appear that only 100 standby guests per hour would be getting through. But please don't forget, DAS people ARE standby guests in that they got into line a long time ago...often HOURS ago and they have been waiting the standby wait time just like everybody else in the standby line.

So using your example numbers they'd actually be letting through 800 standby guests per hour not 100. DAS users ARE standby and it's their turn.

Also using your extreme scenario I would point out what would happen to standby times if they were letting 90% LL through. The standby time would shoot up. What would this mean for DAS users? Their return time would go later and later, thereby giving relief to the LL line size and the need to let so many LL through.
It’s no more DAS users’ “turn” than it is Genie+ and standby.

those who have been granted GAC & DAS for a long time often only had to mention one compelling ‘reason’ before being stopped by CS and told they absolutely qualified

All without any need to discuss their possible numerous co-morbidities (and the accompanying challenges to wait in long queues) that would also likely have qualified them for the accommodation in the past

IMO They need to be prepared for longer conversations and be willing to evaluate new (to them) issues

This is my concern, based on the reason I was granted a DAS previously, I likely wouldn’t qualify now. But I also never discussed any of my other conditions, which may or may not qualify me now. I would really hate to think they would look at a record of the prior reason for the DAS and say that I’m making up new reasons just to try and qualify for the DAS.

Disney already has a record of those who had GAC and DAS. They know what their reasons were for needing it. My point is, Disney can check your history and see you have had it all along, that is has nothing to do with the implementation of LL and trying to get over or abuse the system. They have your information already. It's not opening a can of worms whe they already have the information on you.
Huge difference between symptoms and accommodations vs diagnosis disclosures which is what is proposed by documentation. Disney has only the former and not the latter, which is actually specifically prohibited in requested under ADA. Universal is playing a very narrow window using the 3rd party as arm's length on verification of need of accommodation.

Universal remains having to ascertain the level of accommodation, which again, is need based; so that really doesn't get resolved anyways. DAS was a one size fit all solution. Disney is no longer doing that and transitioning back to some form of multiple solutions beyond DAS. Some of them have been discussed like return to queue and Rider Swap. What else to be made available -- unknown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter