• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I think many on here are getting very confused about what the ADA requires of a theme/amusement park. If there are any legal experts out there that could clarify, that would be amazing. I've done some "armchair" research. It's very interesting and I think if folks take a few minutes to look up what the ADA actually covers, they'd be a bit surprised. In my "armchair" opinion, I think Disney goes beyond what the ADA asks of a company. (again not a lawyer! just doing my research)

I think many on here are getting very confused about what the ADA requires of a theme/amusement park. If there are any legal experts out there that could clarify, that would be amazing. I've done some "armchair" research. It's very interesting and I think if folks take a few minutes to look up what the ADA actually covers, they'd be a bit surprised. In my "armchair" opinion, I think Disney goes beyond what the ADA asks of a company. (again not a lawyer! just doing my research)
We talked about it a bit earlier in the thread. Maybe around page 30 at this point lol? They are definitely doing more than is required for most of the guests currently on DAS, which is why they feel they are able to back down the benefits for a lot of people either without getting sued or winning the lawsuit that may come

And here is where I was getting my information then. I pasted some of it but it came directly from the ADA website
https://www.ada.gov/topics/title-iii/

Last edited:
The problem, again, is that people abused the privilege and didn't act in good faith. And now Disney has to limit it.
So how do they split the one parent/adult families? They cannot. Yes there has been abuse. Maybe a note or something from a doctor. When you apply for a handicap placard, you need a form filled out by your doctor. The form doesn't go into details but gives a reason. Disney should have something like that and instead of having CM's making decisions on if you get one or not, they verify your Dr is real, not an online quack. Then maybe all who truly need one, not just developmental, can get one. As I have said, a wheelchair isn't a fixall for the remainder of all the other disabilities.

In some ways Disney has been awesome, such as allowing family members to accompany the person with the disability and offering DAS to others besides those with neurodivergent issues. The problem, as far as I can see and on other forums is 1. Disney allowed disabled people and their families to use the DAS and now has pulled the rug. 2. People cheat but those that haven't cheated and have a real need for DAS are being punished. 3. The cheaters will keep cheating.

I highly doubt they have that level of detail on any individual. Some of that may well be collected along with others’ info to arrive at daily/weekly/monthly averages or such, but it is like several layers deep within the analytics that they could accurately pull it out for a specific individual. Not impossible to dig out but not exactly easy.
I believe they were using MBs to track where people went and if they spent more money if they weren’t stuck in lines. That data did show people did shop and spend more form what I remember and was the motivation behind creating a system where you could skip the line. They ended up creating the current system.

We talked a bout it a bit earlier in the thread. Maybe around page 30 at this point lol? They are definitely doing more than is required for most of the guests currently on DAS, which is why they feel they are able to back down the benefits for a lot of people either without getting sued or winning the lawsuit that may come

And here is where I was getting my information then. I pasted some of it but it came directly from the ADA website
https://www.ada.gov/topics/title-iii/
Thanks. This is awesome!

What do you do now while waiting for your DAS Return Time? Honest question; I’m really trying to understand this kind of issue because we get a lot of posts about it. You say you can’t sit, but you also can’t stand. How do you ride the attractions at WDW? It is a serious question — as I said I’ve seen more and more posts about this type of issue.

My only frame of reference (which I know is not the same) is my occasional back pain, and I have to lie down but even that is uncomfortable. Or my grandfather’s ankylosing spondilitis - and he had a reclining chair. Theme park attractions would have never been an option.

I'm wondering about this as well. I'm still not exactly sure how the DAS/LL queue would be any different than standby, in that respect. Sure...it's longer. But you still end up standing in the DAS line. At least that's been my experience.

I have rheumatoid arthritis, which thankfully isn't severe at this point. But if/when it gets bad, my plan is to get a rollator to go through lines. That way I can alternate between sitting and walking. For me, I do get stiff/sore if I sit for too long. I also hurt if I have to stand in the same place. But I think walking when the queue moves, and sitting when it stops, would probably do the trick for me since I'd never been sitting for that long but it would still be better than standing in one spot. (And obviously if walking ever became a bigger issue, I'd get a scooter/wheelchair.)

But I'm curious what the people do when not in line or on rides. Do they just walk non-stop? Only sit for a few minutes? Is the bigger issue the standing? Is a cane with a seat or a rollator not a realistic option?

In some ways Disney has been awesome, such as allowing family members to accompany the person with the disability and offering DAS to others besides those with neurodivergent issues. The problem, as far as I can see and on other forums is 1. Disney allowed disabled people and their families to use the DAS and now has pulled the rug. 2. People cheat but those that haven't cheated and have a real need for DAS are being punished. 3. The cheaters will keep cheating.
1. I think we all agree on, that does seem to be happening.
2. People are definitely cheating they system so it needed to be changed, but they aren't doing it to specifically punish real DAS users. It worked great for many for years, but like rides, etc., it needed a refurb in order to continue functioning.
3. I'm not so sure of yet. If they nuke the system badly enough it won't be enticing to liars anymore, but then disabled people have less or worse options. If they have a similar system but are more strict in handing it out it's all in how well they can spot the fakers. We would hope that people with real issues will be able to state their needs better than a faker would. If they just let everyone use whatever the best accommodation is whenever they use a certain script in the interview, then that won't change much of anything.

I will admit it’s shocking watching a community that had such esprit de corps turn to infighting over who is the rightfully disabled one.

I'm not surprised. When Disney singled out one group of disabled guests as the only 'legitimate' users of DAS going forward, specified it by source of condition rather than need, and was deliberately vague on what alternatives might be available, angry and resentful feelings were sure to follow. The way they handled this was a straight line to thinking about who is more or less deserving and why does X qualify but Y doesn't.

To be clear: I hope everyone is able to access whatever level of accommodation they need and I am not saying lashing out is at all justified, just that Disney themselves created this feeling of divisiveness in the way they've communicated this change and they shouldn't be surprised if there's bad feelings to follow.

I truly hope we can all take a breath and be kind to each other and to Cast Members on the phone and in person in a stressful and challenging situation.

I will admit it’s shocking watching a community that had such esprit de corps turn to infighting over who is the rightfully disabled one.
I don't see this as infighting. No one that I've seen has said that those under the new DAS umbrella do not deserve to get DAS. Other posters, along with me, think that we have conditions that should be included.

1. I think we all agree on, that does seem to be happening.
2. People are definitely cheating they system so it needed to be changed, but they aren't doing it to specifically punish real DAS users. It worked great for many for years, but like rides, etc., it needed a refurb in order to continue functioning.
3. I'm not so sure of yet. If they nuke the system badly enough it won't be enticing to liars anymore, but then disabled people have less or worse options. If they have a similar system but are more strict in handing it out it's all in how well they can spot the fakers. We would hope that people with real issues will be able to state their needs better than a faker would. If they just let everyone use whatever the best accommodation is whenever they use a certain script in the interview, then that won't change much of anything.
2. It may not be Disney's intent to punish guests other than those under the new rules but, in effect, that is exactly what is happening.

So I have been thinking a lot over the last few days. DO I really need the das? I definitely have issues that can be severe. But do I have them every line on every ride? Am I an unintentional das abuser? I certainly did not lie when I talked to the people on the phone interviews and at guest services when I did it before the phone call was a thing. But is it possible for me to have a decent day without it? Yes it will be much more stressful and a different day than with the das. But maybe I need to experiment some on our may 13 trip. Maybe I need to push myself and try to go in the shorter lines or more outside line rides. Maybe I need to try to space myself out more from other people if I can. Take more breaks away from the crowds. Hit Tom Sawyer island and hang out on a rocking chair. Spend a few breaks in the new Epcot seating areas. Try to use the das less to see what works and what doesn’t while I have the chance and the crutch of having it. I am all about helping yourself but also using your resources. But I think I am going to make a change and see what happens. Maybe it will fail. Maybe it will work. But it will be data I can tell the next video call cast member if I need to try for assistance for our December trip. I think i am going to use this upcoming trip as an experiment. What works. What doesn’t. What can I tolerate and won’t can’t I. Has anything changed from the days before I needed das. Maybe I will get the genie plus thing and see if I can hit the return times. It is a lower crowd time if that’s a thing. December will be busier. Next March our last trip for awhile will be busier yet. But I am going to see what happens. I will be in Disney and that’s better than being home.

I feel like some of this convo is straying away from developmental and towards intellectual disabilities. Which can be comorbid of each other but aren’t 100 percent the same thing.

Like I personally fundamentally understand that I can wait in line. But my support needs that are related to my developmental disorder means no amount of my brain understanding it will make it that I can handle the queue due to other factors that aren’t just understanding I need to wait in line.

I get that some of the cases are because people don’t understand the concept of waiting in line. But there is enough conflation of intellectual with developmental at times that it gets frustrating.

I will go into a meltdown if I’m in a queue environment. Not because I can’t understand why I’m in the line. But because of my sensory issues. That’s what my brain doesn’t process.

Like if you can understand the concept of the line. And can do it just fine without setting off your other issues. Fine. Great. Seriously I’m happy some of y’all don’t have that concern.

But that doesn’t mean that’s the case for everyone of us who has one. Especially one on the rarer side.

let’s not pretend it’s a full ‘either someone understands they need to stand in line or not’ thing.
Thank you. I tried to make this point a few pages ago.

So I have been thinking a lot over the last few days. DO I really need the das? I definitely have issues that can be severe. But do I have them every line on every ride? Am I an unintentional das abuser? I certainly did not lie when I talked to the people on the phone interviews and at guest services when I did it before the phone call was a thing. But is it possible for me to have a decent day without it? Yes it will be much more stressful and a different day than with the das. But maybe I need to experiment some on our may 13 trip. Maybe I need to push myself and try to go in the shorter lines or more outside line rides. Maybe I need to try to space myself out more from other people if I can. Take more breaks away from the crowds. Hit Tom Sawyer island and hang out on a rocking chair. Spend a few breaks in the new Epcot seating areas. Try to use the das less to see what works and what doesn’t while I have the chance and the crutch of having it. I am all about helping yourself but also using your resources. But I think I am going to make a change and see what happens. Maybe it will fail. Maybe it will work. But it will be data I can tell the next video call cast member if I need to try for assistance for our December trip. I think i am going to use this upcoming trip as an experiment. What works. What doesn’t. What can I tolerate and won’t can’t I. Has anything changed from the days before I needed das. Maybe I will get the genie plus thing and see if I can hit the return times. It is a lower crowd time if that’s a thing. December will be busier. Next March our last trip for awhile will be busier yet. But I am going to see what happens. I will be in Disney and that’s better than being home.
I love your idea. I think it will really help you with your next DAS call.

I'm a little behind, but I've seen several posts about how families split up all the time. Yes, no disagreement there. However, unless I missed something, every example discussed was a choice. A conscious decision made. Not something directed by someone outside the family. I think I'll just read from now on. Our trip is before any changes happen, as I posted before. I find it somewhat amusing that people that don't have a certain condition seem to find it very easy to determine what a reasonable accommodation is for someone that does.
Agreed re: it being a choice.

When we've traveled it's either been just the 3 of us, or us plus 1 set of grandparents. If it's just the 3 of us, we don't split up aside from restroom breaks where, ya know, we have to 😉 DD requires both of us for various reasons.

If it's the 5 of us, the grandparents will occasionally sit out an attraction, but they aren't going and doing something else in that time (unless they head to the restroom), they're just waiting for us because the ride isn't accessible for them.

So, yeah, we are a family that doesn't choose to split up.

Do you have the DAS for your trip? So if you need it you can use it? Would hate for your issue to act up and then you would not be able to enjoy your trip.
Lower crowds are definitely a help whether or not someone needs DAS.

I mean say Jungle Cruise which is 10 minutes long is a lot different than standing in a line for 20 minutes+
So you walk with a rollator for a bit, sit a bit, obviously change positions. In my experience neither the standby queue nor the LL are standing still for 20 minutes. Queues move slowly, maybe stop but move again. The rollator allows you to sit and change position. You admit you can sit (while fidgiting) for up to 10 minutes, but the don't generally stand still that long before it moves again. It sounds like you can do standby queues but simply prefer the convenience of DAS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter