DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

They could have done so much more with the line queues and making them interactive. Esp like Navi River and have some interactive displays and maybe some screens with banshees, drums, light up things when you take a step etc. How about a carousel with banshees, direhorses; Jaja binks, Ewoks etc in Star Wars…
Those interactive elements are very good for some people, but with all the noise, they can become torture chambers for people who are sensitive to those things.

I guess we are the “cheaters” because my DD has historically received a DAS and we have used FP, MaxPass and now Genie+ in combination. Our main park is DLR and there are so many non accessible rides in Disneyland. We use DAS for those attractions and Genie+ for the rides where it is available. We are also rope drop people and can usually get Fantasyland done in the morning before things get crowded without using DAS or Genie+.

I had a technology issue a couple of trips ago when Genie+ was first introduced. I met a fantastic CM lead in DCA who told me that is what Disney intended for one to do. Utilize what is available to everyone and then, when necessary, utilize the DAS. Upon completion of solving my technology problem we were given a DAS return time, a Genie+ time and he was nice and gave us a MEP. I don’t think he would have given us both if it was abusing the system.

When my daughter has problems, we go back to the room. I can usually tell when she is getting overwhelmed or over stimulated and we will often leave before they escalate to the point where others notice. It is more important for us to do that than it is to push through and have her be miserable.

I think the return to line pass could work for my particular medical issue in place of DAS if it can address the issues that Genie+ does not, like not being able to rebook that ride if I have to leave the LL urgently and the limits on return time if I have an issue and can't make it before it expires and I can't modify to a future time. Also there are issues in standby with navigating to the exit through crowds and the unkindness of strangers who don't want to let you return plus needing to do this multiple times which is already frustrating. I have been thinking about it the last couple of days and just need to convince myself to be patient until more info comes out. I feel like I got some breadcrumbs about a solution for my specific needs but for many of you, I know no info they released offers you any information on a reasonable solution for yours and that is even more concerning to me and I am so sorry.
We’ve had an experience where our son had to leave the line and we went back but they switched CMs. They ask what the name of the CM was who said it was ok. So take down their name and state or better ask if you could take a picture.

TOT a CM had given another child some magic (she canceled our ROTR ILL$ rider switch which we had paid extra for, no one wanted to go back because we had gotten stuck on it and it takes long to ride) and boy did that LL CM go out of their way to be condescending/intimidating in front of our kids asking how we got 2 kids on a rider switch. Fortunately the CM with the iPad was a few feet away but she also got an earful never to let 2 kids ride on a rider switch. I did email guest relations on that one.

They could have done so much more with the line queues and making them interactive. Esp like Navi River and have some interactive displays and maybe some screens with banshees, drums, light up things when you take a step etc. How about a carousel with banshees, direhorses; Jaja binks, Ewoks etc in Star Wars…
I remember hearing that Disney removed the interactive game in the Space Mountain queue since it made people stop in place and the line would not move. I wonder if that's why Disney is not leaning more into interactive elements in their queues. Didn't Mine Train have more interactive stuff too or did I just make that up?

It is not the CM’s fault but they are representing not only the company, but the disability services division. People have spent thousands on vacation plans coming up very soon. Some, like me, are international guests and have no current method of applying for DAS until we get there. It’s absolutely reasonable for me to expect a proper response to my concern when they have my money. I shouldn’t be expected to have to travel 9 hours to get that answer - an answer that could render my vacation useless.

Yes, the CMs are limited by what their management are doing. That doesn’t excuse me not getting my concerns addressed when I am a customer.
It's been established that for now no one has the answers to those questions. They've repeatedly said that we have to wait till May 20th for more information.

It sucks that your trip is in the middle of the changes, but it was always gonna be in the middle of someone's. I agree that there should be no dif between national and international guests, that is an unfair expectation and I hope that international guests are able to call to register same as north americans.

No. There's nothing about waiting in line that would trigger PTSD that being in the parks wouldn't anyway.
Tell me you know nothing of ptsd without saying so.

Unclear whether or not DAS can help, it really depends on the triggers and symptoms that one has and can discuss with the CM on the video call on options. They are there to help

Don’t know. I will say there are a lot of us autistic kids who have now aged into autistic adults and from personal experience the world doesn’t really know what to do with us much less Disney. Services for autistic adults are rare and hard to get. So I guess to answer your question, I hope not. As I’m still the same autistic person, just older.
Agree with you! Maybe that's why they listed than one specifically.

We’ve had an experience where our son had to leave the line and we went back but they switched CMs. They ask what the name of the CM was who said it was ok. So take down their name and state or better ask if you could take a picture.
That's a great idea and may work for me on some occasions but for my situation there are times when I don't have the extra moment to stop and have a conversation with a CM about it. That is why I am hoping the return to line pass will make it possible to do it easily, quickly, or retroactively somehow. I have no idea how that would work but we will see.

The article refers to DAS as line skippers. I wouldn’t call the article good on that basis alone.

It’s terms like this that make DAS so open to abuse. We are not line skippers. We are waiting in the lines virtually.

Little things like this - basic as terminology - can have real impact on people’s feelings.
Good in terms of the reporting of what is known. They did use an insensitive term, but I will miss pointing out some things when trying to get as good of info as possible

I’ve said it before but why announce this like this and cause all this stress and chaos. They should have it all worked out, all the FAQ on the site, and announced how this will all work. It’s ridiculous this large of a company announces something as important as disability accommodation changes in such a way. Announce all or nothing and give more notice than this.

I feel like they have it worked out internally but they intentionally did it this way so to catch those absolutely not needing accommodations off-guard. Maybe they're thinking the roll-out should be a good indicator of what % of people actually need accommodations. Who knows...

The problem with virtual queues is that everyone needs somewhere to go while they wait. There simply aren’t enough shows, shops, and restaurants to accommodate everyone who isn’t standing in line. We saw that pretty clearly when the shows were shut down during COVID, and that was at drastically lower attendance.
Keep character interactions with a traditional queue, turn current queue spaces into waiting areas with some seating, interactive features for kids and small counter with drinks/snacks and lastly every park have a large play area like the boneyard in AK

No. Children with disabilities don't lose their disabilities when they turn 18.

I think the decreased number of people linked to DAS is to try to target the unofficial tour guides who were using DAS to offer shorter wait for their clients. Disney has been cracking down on unofficial tour guides for a while and the ones using DAS for a 'tour tool' are especially reprehensible.
I think the number is also aimed at 'Influencers', especially some liverstreamers who brought in a large rotating group of group of guests.
Then, there are also people who brought in large groups of extended family members - aunts, uncles, cousins - I've seen people talk about as many as 16. Also the guests who wrote they had 4 members of their family registered for DAS and each person had 5 linked to their DAS (so total of 24 people)
the illegal tour guides were the same reason they gave in changing from gac to das. I know you’ve been around disney long enough to remember that whole scandal that hit the news about the people in wheelchairs who would hire themselves out to groups to give auto front of the line privileges. It’s really these scammers who make it more difficult for everyone else.

Those interactive elements are very good for some people, but with all the noise, they can become torture chambers for people who are sensitive to those things.
My point was some places where kids could go and let off some steam or be distracted while waiting. Our DD is sensory seeking with elopement issues so she would love these kind of things, for others who need to unwind there should be places like the baby care center and cabanas (they had in the past).

Agree there, just wish they had been a little more careful with the wording that’s all.
I don't think they are wrong for calling it that. Disney says you can enjoy other activities for waiting for return time so really DAS is skipping lines... kind of. Still have to wait in lightening lane I guess.

I don't agree with what Disney is doing for the record, but I think line-skipping is a fair term based on what Disney says you can do while waiting.

the illegal tour guides were the same reason they gave in changing from gac to das. I know you’ve been around disney long enough to remember that whole scandal that hit the news about the people in wheelchairs who would hire themselves out to groups to give auto front of the line privileges. It’s really these scammers who make it more difficult for everyone else.
These people don’t get banned? If not then that’s an issue WDW needs to address on identifying vs making it harder for your existing target customers (it’s a kids park) with genuine disabilities.

No. Children with disabilities don't lose their disabilities when they turn 18.

I think the decreased number of people linked to DAS is to try to target the unofficial tour guides who were using DAS to offer shorter wait for their clients. Disney has been cracking down on unofficial tour guides for a while and the ones using DAS for a 'tour tool' are especially reprehensible.
I think the number is also aimed at 'Influencers', especially some liverstreamers who brought in a large rotating group of group of guests.
Then, there are also people who brought in large groups of extended family members - aunts, uncles, cousins - I've seen people talk about as many as 16. Also the guests who wrote they had 4 members of their family registered for DAS and each person had 5 linked to their DAS (so total of 24 people)
I’m entirely with you on this: the changes aren’t about the average person with a disability needing accommodations - it’s about the big abusers. Which, despite being a WDW vet of 30 years, I genuinely had no idea was going on. All that I’m learning now is like an “A-HA! Moment”… I normally only ever have one or two friends with me for a ride or two, but last visit happened to happily connect with 4 at the same time, so I asked a GS CM if it was possible for us all to do a ride with my DAS, expecting to be declined and totally okay if that was the case - he sounded a little skeptical at first, then looked at my profile, asked just how many I wanted to add, and laughed a little when I said 2 and said, “that’s no problem at all!” And the whole mood changed. I honestly did not get it at the time, but now I do! He must have been expecting to hear 20 or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter