• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

A couple of thoughts.

By making it virtual call only, Disney is eliminating the possibility of being declined virtually and then showing up at Guest Services in person and getting the DAS card. I have read the advice on the boards here. While I don’t believe it is “cheating” the system, Disney is trying to eliminate that practice, so it seems.

Along the same line, the virtual call only also eliminates the possibility of initially being declined, trying to make it work and returning to Guest Services and having concrete evidence that accommodations need to be made. If I take what is happening to international guests, will they then be given an iPad to access the call center virtually? How will that work? I know I waited over 4 hours for our virtual call last year. We got on the call and were disconnected twice. It seems to me that those who truly need accommodations are having to jump through impossible hoops.

Disney needs to somehow control the Return to Line thingy. I know there isn’t much information and things are speculation right now. However, what is stopping someone from getting in line, saying they have an “emergency” of some kind, and going to have something to eat, shop, or ride another ride and then come back? I know it happens sometimes now with people, especially the teens, sending someone to stand in line and then “joining” their group. This bothers me the most and seems to affect the overall “guest experience.” Hopefully Disney has figured a way to control things for those who have a legitimate need for the accommodation or those times when there is truly an emergency. Personally I think Disney needs to do a better job of controlling their lines. I have witnesses groups of people going either underneath or over the chains from the standby line into the LL line, especially at Radiator Springs Racers in Disneyland.

Interesting video posted in another thread (though it may have been merged over to this one now?) from a conversation with Guest Services. The emphasis on “bad news for some - they really are limiting DAS to developmental disabilities only” (I’m paraphrasing) feels quite different from the tone of auto-reply emails. And frankly flies in the face of logic.

Though I did some Googling and was surprised to see that actually, the “and similar” bit isn’t as out there as it feels - a whole bunch of stuff I’d never think of as “developmental” or similar to ASD in fact are sorta-kinda lumped together that way per legit various medical organizations. So I maybe need to walk back my comments about the verbiage being terrible and just go with it being confusing to lay people. :confused3

For those that experience outbursts or meltdowns because there are cognitive delays or processing disorders that impact processing time - visiting the attraction but not being able to ride it can trigger the disability response that the DAS is intended to prevent.

Everything at Disney Parks can be booked online. Dining reservations, hotel reservations, tickets, genie+, specialty experiences, mobile ordering for food etc. The same can't necessarily be said at all other theme parks. Seems like it would not provide a similar experience to tell one specific population, no this has to be done on paper even though we've made everything else electronic.
I agree, which is why I said I think there should be different levels of DAS (I probably didn’t make that clear enough in my original post though).

There are probably a lot of people in my situation where they are able to see the attraction but just can’t be in the queue. My thought was it would help cut down on the amount of people in the LL if not everyone with a DAS was able to book attractions so quickly.

I don’t know how different levels could be implemented in actual practice (maybe give people like me a longer cooldown period after scanning into an attraction), but I was just throwing out thoughts I had.

However, what is stopping someone from getting in line, saying they have an “emergency” of some kind, and going to have something to eat, shop, or ride another ride and then come back?

This is a very good point that never crossed my mind.

And it seems to me the person isn't lying, per se, if the person says I have to use the bathroom, then goes to the bathroom and just happens to spend 30 minutes shopping somewhere too after the bathroom visit. It may be disingenuous, but it's not fundamentally a lie. ;)

Hopefully Disney will adjust based on guest feedback. I think the best bet is to try to see what others experience on 4/20 when they try to register for 5/20 and see if they will really limit DAS to only those with developmental disabilities or if they will focus on the need and just try to really identify who absolutely needs DAS versus who might qualify for a different accommodation.

It is also why I do encourage everyone with a concern to email both guest.services@disneyworld.com and disability.services@disneyparks.com - with enough customer feedback, its feasible Disney may tweak the wording (to include more than just developmental disabilities for DAS for example) or even change what they offer.

We still don't really know any details on the alternative accommodations, I'm not confident based on what I've seen with the bathroom pass that "return to queue" would work, but maybe Disney will have some ingenious way to make it work.

For those that don't know, the Bathroom pass was introduced when Galaxy's Edge opened in 2019 in Disneyland. It allows for a guest to leave the line, head to the restroom and re-enter through the Lightning Lane (back then it was called the FastPass line) to wait for the rest of their party at the merge point. When you leave the line, you're given a lanyard with a Queue Re-entry pass attached. I don't know what happens if you're solo.

More details here: https://www.travelandleisure.com/attractions/disneyland-new-star-wars-ride-long-lines-bathroom-pass

I realize based on reading a lot of this thread that the above "bathroom pass" will not work for a lot of folks and I'm not trying to suggest that it will.

Its possible Disney will have tweaked this accommodation with the "Return to Queue", but personally I'm not confident it will be any different, it is just an existing option that Disney is going to try to promote instead of DAS to guests with a new name.
One solution that might work is to have a waiting area with a bathroom near the boarding area. Anyone qualified for “bathroom issue” accommodations would be allowed to enter via the LL, while the rest of the party would use the standby line. The qualified person (after getting through the LL queue) could then wait in comfort in the waiting area for the rest of their party, with a bathroom available whenever they needed it, and when the rest of their party arrived through the standby line everyone could ride together. Solo travelers would be required to wait in the waiting area for a period of time to ensure that their total wait was equivalent to the standby line.

If return to line means coming back to the same point where you exited (checkin point A, B, and C, for example, and you can only go backward, not forward, to get to a CM) then there would be no advantage for leaving and coming back. You wouldn’t be rejoining your group. Your group could wait for you or everyone exits and rejoins together. There is no reason why Disney couldn’t tag this to your MagicBand, and only those riders would have the “right” to re-enter the line at that point.

My concern is I have been granted and used the DAS for about 5-6 years. I have brain cancer and have sensory issues due to surgery. The way it’s worded, does this mean I’m no longer eligible? I’m better than I was, but still travel with ear plugs due to the noise in line. It’s just too much.

A real issue with a conversation only 30 days in advance doesn't provide much opportunity for significant course corrections, the development of alternative travel plans. or outright cancellation without penalty (when staying on property pn a reservation made with the Travel Company) because the accommodation(s) offered do not meet the needs of the individual (stepping aside from whether the accommodation is preferred by the individual).
I canceled the Dining Plan in case it's determined I don't qualify for the DAS to give me the option of canceling up to 5 days before our trip. Package resort reservations have a 30 day cancelation for a full refund. With the DAS pre interview taking place 30 days or less before a trip, it can mean a money loss which I am not going to risk.

I canceled the Dining Plan in case it's determined I don't qualify for the DAS to give me the option of canceling up to 5 days before our trip. Package resort reservations have a 30 day cancelation for a full refund. With the DAS pre interview taking place 30 days or less before a trip, it can mean a money loss which I am not going to risk.
I think building some flexibility into your vacation planning is very helpful.
I nearly always book room only for the less restrictive cancellation policy.

We always do resort only reservations for this reason. I will also wait now to buy our tickets. I also made a backup reservation at Universal so we will keep our flights and just go there where they can accommodate us.

I sent an email to the Disability.services@disneyparks.com account shortly after my original post in here expressing my concerns. I was very disappointed this morning when I found that not only did they auto reply almost instantly that day, but after 2 days they sent a copy paste reply rather than actually trying to hear people out with their concerns.

Here is that reply:

I got the same when I asked if mine would still be active for the 60 days it was given before my March trip for my May trip. This didn’t answer my question at all. Not even a little so I guess I will find out when we go. I will try to see if ride selections are there Saturday which is my 30 days. Also will check to see if the das tab is still on the app like it is now. Otherwise will be playing it by ear.

A couple of thoughts.

By making it virtual call only, Disney is eliminating the possibility of being declined virtually and then showing up at Guest Services in person and getting the DAS card. I have read the advice on the boards here. While I don’t believe it is “cheating” the system, Disney is trying to eliminate that practice, so it seems.

Along the same line, the virtual call only also eliminates the possibility of initially being declined, trying to make it work and returning to Guest Services and having concrete evidence that accommodations need to be made. If I take what is happening to international guests, will they then be given an iPad to access the call center virtually? How will that work? I know I waited over 4 hours for our virtual call last year. We got on the call and were disconnected twice. It seems to me that those who truly need accommodations are having to jump through impossible hoops.

Disney needs to somehow control the Return to Line thingy. I know there isn’t much information and things are speculation right now. However, what is stopping someone from getting in line, saying they have an “emergency” of some kind, and going to have something to eat, shop, or ride another ride and then come back? I know it happens sometimes now with people, especially the teens, sending someone to stand in line and then “joining” their group. This bothers me the most and seems to affect the overall “guest experience.” Hopefully Disney has figured a way to control things for those who have a legitimate need for the accommodation or those times when there is truly an emergency. Personally I think Disney needs to do a better job of controlling their lines. I have witnesses groups of people going either underneath or over the chains from the standby line into the LL line, especially at Radiator Springs Racers in Disneyland.
There are hidden cameras everywhere. I’ve seen it (line jumping over the rails) happen at WDW where there is no second checkpoint for GotG. I’m sure if it’s kids they might let them go but I’ve seen the screens of cameras inside the holding area (10 on each side of the room). Someone had either hit or inappropriately touched another guest in the dark and they were being held and questioned. Every square inch is being monitored and recorded. If someone (or even something like say a bear - Oct 2023) is willing to risk a lifetime ban, I mean you can’t stop them from jumping the fence and getting in.

The problem is that it makes going to WDW with a group pointless. DAS becomes useless if my party has to split up. Those with the person with DAS would be on completely separate schedules than the rest of the group; why would you even go to Disney together then, if you couldn't experience the parks together?

I understand some people have abused the system; that is terrible and if it really is true that DAS abuse is causing issues with the LL, then something should be done about it. Is it really that rampant though? If it is, is this the only way to curtail the abuse? I've used LL on 4 different trips over the last 2 years and haven't had issues with longs lineups there.

Perhaps if they went back to free LL/FP the abuse would stop?

Exactly. We have three ( now adult ) kids. They have significant others. If we say "hey, your mom and I are going to go ride XYZ, see you guys later".... kind of misses the point of the family trip.

We always do resort only reservations for this reason. I will also wait now to buy our tickets. I also made a backup reservation at Universal so we will keep our flights and just go there where they can accommodate us.
I was thinking of holding off on buying tickets too, but won't we need them in order to be approved for some type of accommodation if any?

Exactly. We have three ( now adult ) kids. They have significant others. If we say "hey, your mom and I are going to go ride XYZ, see you guys later".... kind of misses the point of the family trip.
We may be splitting hairs here but doesn’t that come down to need vs. want. Eg. you or your wife may need to have a helper with you for safety, but you want to ride with your kids. So from Disney’s perspective the disability need is covered by the DAS, but the other 6 people can wait through the standby line. There is plenty to do at Disney that doesn’t involve rides but still has a lot of family time.

That’s why I would not be surprised if we eventually got to a place where 2 adults plus some number of children are all that is attached to the DAS.

If return to line means coming back to the same point where you exited (checkin point A, B, and C, for example, and you can only go backward, not forward, to get to a CM) then there would be no advantage for leaving and coming back. You wouldn’t be rejoining your group. Your group could wait for you or everyone exits and rejoins together. There is no reason why Disney couldn’t tag this to your MagicBand, and only those riders would have the “right” to re-enter the line at that point.

This is merely speculation right now because we don't know if return to queue will work like this - but...

If it works like the bathroom pass does (and I suspect it will be exactly the same thing with a different name and perhaps more widely available) - you would walk backwards through the queue to a CM and get a "return to queue" pass which maybe on a lanyard and then when you return, you would go to the Lightning Lane and wait for the rest of your party at the merge point.

I assume your party would also have to wait at the merge point for you if they got there before you arrive.

If you need significantly more time to return to the queue - I don't know how that would work. My guess is the rest of your party would ride and maybe you could enter the Lightning Lane when you're able?

Maybe Disney would suggest Rider Switch in that case? You could still use the Lightning Lane with a shorter wait, but the rest of your party would need to use the standby queue?

If you're solo, then I don't know how this would work either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter