DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Of course that’s not what I said but anyone who goes to Disney knows that bathroom urgency and actually getting to a bathroom don’t go together. why wouldn’t people with severe bathroom issues that they are talking about here wear protection? And of course you had to throw an ostomy in here. I am referencing people talking about Disney needing to clean up their messes in line.
This is like asking why people with autism don't just wear noise cancelling headphones.

I can only speak for myself - I would have no problem with these limitations.

Completely agree. I’m trying to think if we’ve ever been able to make it through 6 attractions using DAS in a single day…highly unlikely. I would be completely fine capping the number.
Capping the number seems very discriminatory. You’d basically be telling someone they could only enjoy their vacation how you see fit.

if you only want to ride one ride over and over again all day long from park open to park close you wouldn’t tell a non-DAS guest they couldn’t do that but you’d tell someone with DAS they couldn’t ride request accommodations to do the same?

Capping the number seems very discriminatory. You’d basically be telling someone they could only enjoy their vacation how you see fit.

if you only want to ride one ride over and over again all day long from park open to park close you wouldn’t tell a non-DAS guest they couldn’t do that but you’d tell someone with DAS they couldn’t ride request accommodations to do the same?
Better than telling whole categories of DAS users that they can't have DAS at all. Better to dial it back a little bit for everyone, than deny whole swaths of legitimate users so that other DAS users don't have to give an inch.

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD POLITE AND KIND SO WE DONT NEED TO CLOSE IT.

There are a lot of very strong and scary feelings that this change to DAS is causing. People are understandably upset. There is no place here for "my disability matters, but yours doesn't". There is no place for accusations or unkindness

We don't have a lot of facts yet, so don't know what the 'menu of accommodations' that has been mentioned will be or how the changes will affect people. Many of us have been thru this before when GAC (Guest Assistance Card) changed in the early 2000s, when GAC changed to DAS 1.0 in 2013 and changed again to DAS 2.0 in 2021. The sky didn't fall those times and probably won't this time either.

To quote Cinderella from the 2015 movie "Have Courage and Be Kind"IMG_3687.jpeg

The new wording is strange to me and now I can’t figure out of if my daughter with Tourette’s syndrome and ADHD would qualify. I don’t think ADHD and Tourette’s syndrome are “similar” to autism but Tourette’s syndrome is a complex neurological disability that exists on a spectrum, ranging from mild to very severe. How can someone who has never met my daughter make a determination over a video call? I would actually prefer they just ask for the medical documentation. I plan Disney trips much farther out than 120 days so what happens when we plan our trip and then are told we no longer qualify under the DAS changes?

If leaving the line works, why would a DAS be needed?
I don’t want to really get in to specifics in case some are reading this thread for helpful hints to cheat but IBS for many is not just an easy “oh, I feel I need to go, be right back” potty break. It has caused us to miss many rides, waiting outside near bathrooms close by until an episode resolves. Add in medications and there are different effects. One of my drs had tried a med I was on and said there was no way she could function bc she couldn’t hold it when it activated. Imagine being in a line when that occurs. My sister has it worse. So while we don’t use it for all of our rides since we manage rope dropping to avoid waits, it has allowed us to access certain rides at times that we otherwise would never make. Our travel party has other disabilities that we managed without DAS and would likely be eligible with the new roll out but IBS has been the one we have actually needed it for the most. If it is accommodated by leaving the line to return (God knows how long depending on the episode and hoping we make it in time), our group will have wasted time with us, losing their time to ride and taking even longer for us to get back in line where we left off. Not to mention the embarrassment and anxiety of trying to hold it while finding a way out of line, finding someone to speak with, etc. Not at all a reasonable accommodation for our needs. We will definitely be selling our DVC contracts and visiting once in a blue moon if even that. Not meaning to sound entitled at all, it was just a great accommodation that allowed us to visit the parks and why DVC made sense to us. We will just have to forego Disney and stick with vacation spots more accessible to our needs.

Last edited:
This is like asking why people with autism don't just wear noise cancelling headphones.

If it helps they should. Everyone should maximize the things they can do to help themselves. Plenty of people can go through the regular lines with them on. Plenty of people use them plus the DAS. Why do you think people shouldn’t try to help themselves? Genuinely curious. I never said people with incontinence or urgency shouldn’t get the DAS. I simply said people who are thinking they will have an accident in line should probably do something to prevent it. I seriously don’t understand why people wouldn’t do this or why you think they shouldn’t do things to help themselves. I never said who I thought should get a DAS. I have no idea what Disney is doing. I have no idea if I will get one when I call. I never know. I just answer their questions and see what they say. Not my job to determine who is eligible thankfully as that’s an awful job.

I can only speak for myself - I would have no problem with these limitations.

Completely agree. I’m trying to think if we’ve ever been able to make it through 6 attractions using DAS in a single day…highly unlikely. I would be completely fine capping the number.
I wonder if Disney has thought about changing it this way— I think once when the stars aligned perfectly we have been able to use it more than 5 times in a day, but I would be happy to trade more hypothetical rides if it meant that Disney could be more expansive in including groups who need DAS, while also keeping waits below 30 minutes.

Better than telling whole categories of DAS users that they can't have DAS at all. Better to dial it back a little bit for everyone, than deny whole swaths of legitimate users so that other DAS users don't have to give an inch.
Strongly disagree. You’re argument seems to be they should have to suffer if I have to suffer so that I can suffer less.

In a perfect world no one suffer but I’m not going to advocate for anyone having to increase the amount of suffering they face.

If it helps they should. Everyone should maximize the things they can do to help themselves. Plenty of people can go through the regular lines with them on. Plenty of people use them plus the DAS. Why do you think people shouldn’t try to help themselves? Genuinely curious. I never said people with incontinence or urgency shouldn’t get the DAS. I simply said people who are thinking they will have an accident in line should probably do something to prevent it. I seriously don’t understand why people wouldn’t do this or why you think they shouldn’t do things to help themselves. I never said who I thought should get a DAS. I have no idea what Disney is doing. I have no idea if I will get one when I call. I never know. I just answer their questions and see what they say. Not my job to determine who is eligible thankfully as that’s an awful job.
I agree people should take responsibility to minimise risk of their conditions causing problems. With your example of wearing incontinence pants, it isn’t possible for me because of my skin condition and how tight they have to fit. Believe me I have tried! Just goes to show again how every situation is unique and everyone’s needs are entirely different. So important this is looked at on an individual level and not by diagnosis which is why it is so disappointing that Disney themselves are now listing diagnoses rather than basing it on needs.

For people who can't wait in line because they might need to use the bathroom (IBS etc). What would you do if you got stuck on a ride and couldn't get off? Not being sarcastic, just wondering, if you got stuck on spaceship earth, haunted mansion, pirates etc. and had to just sit and wait to be walked off it could take a long time. What would you do then? Do you go on the skyliner, in case that stops and you can't get off?
You do the best you can to hold it for as long as possible. And when you can no longer hold it you just go. You have no choice.

For people who can't wait in line because they might need to use the bathroom (IBS etc). What would you do if you got stuck on a ride and couldn't get off? Not being sarcastic, just wondering, if you got stuck on spaceship earth, haunted mansion, pirates etc. and had to just sit and wait to be walked off it could take a long time. What would you do then? Do you go on the skyliner, in case that stops and you can't get off?
Literally every aspect of my life is impacted by my condition. Yes, there are some things I just don’t do because I don’t want to put myself in a situation where I may not have access to a bathroom. If I’m having a flare, I won’t ride the Skyliner. As is probably true for most people with most things in life, we’re always weighing the “risk” of whatever we’re choosing to do. If I get stuck on a ride I’ll hope just like everyone else that we’ll be moving again soon and I won’t have to worry about a bathroom emergency.

The new wording is strange to me and now I can’t figure out of if my daughter with Tourette’s syndrome and ADHD would qualify. I don’t think ADHD and Tourette’s syndrome are “similar” to autism but Tourette’s syndrome is a complex neurological disability that exists on a spectrum, ranging from mild to very severe. How can someone who has never met my daughter make a determination over a video call? I would actually prefer they just ask for the medical documentation. I plan Disney trips much farther out than 120 days so what happens when we plan our trip and then are told we no longer qualify under the DAS changes?
I think most of us would prefer medical documentation requirements and keeping the standard consistent. The current system is what - 2 years old? They don’t think things through and then have to keep changing them.

Also I would guess one of the reasons that DAS is being more abused in recent years is because genie+ is so awful and difficult to use. Fastpass+ was an infinitely better system where people could actually plan rides ahead of time and have a nice day at WDW. Instead of looking into fixing genie+, the solution was to take away DAS from many who need it.

I agree people should take responsibility to minimise risk of their conditions causing problems. With your example of wearing incontinence pants, it isn’t possible for me because of my skin condition and how tight they have to fit. Believe me I have tried! Just goes to show again how every situation is unique and everyone’s needs are entirely different. So important this is looked at on an individual level and not by diagnosis which is why it is so disappointing that Disney themselves are now listing diagnoses rather than basing it on needs.

The thing is we don’t know that they aren’t going to do that. Regardless of the wording on the website we just don’t know what they are going to be doing. I think the one worrisome thing is if you try to go without it after being denied and it is a failure there won’t be a recourse of going to guest services during your trip (as the wording reads now). Maybe that will change but that part is concerning - so often they say try this and if it fails come talk to us.
We really need to see what happens. I was supposed to set up my 30 day pre- trip rides as early as Saturday but I may have to do a video call again even though I am in the 60 days I was granted for March trip. No clue what will happen Saturday. I hate the unknown more than anything. But I also know I won’t know a thing until people start dealing with the new process. Nothing I can do about it but wait and see. Making alternate plans for the trip in my head now.
I hope you get the accommodations that work for you. I hope everyone does. We just have to wait and see and hope for the best.

Literally every aspect of my life is impacted by my condition. Yes, there are some things I just don’t do because I don’t want to put myself in a situation where I may not have access to a bathroom. If I’m having a flare, I won’t ride the Skyliner. As is probably true for most people with most things in life, we’re always weighing the “risk” of whatever we’re choosing to do. If I get stuck on a ride I’ll hope just like everyone else that we’ll be moving again soon and I won’t have to worry about a bathroom emergency.
People who do not have this type condition honestly cannot imagine how life altering and restrictive it really is. Before I was diagnosed, I held the same opinion. My sister is worse and really does not travel anywhere but WDW/Universal bc we live close (limited travel anxiety due to bathroom emergency) and bc of the disability accommodations they have graciously provided so far.

They are offering reasonable accommodations, just not the one that most people seem to want.
But that’s not true. A return to the queue setup is not a reasonable accommodation for many people, like myself. I can’t wait in long outdoor queues for half the year, so being able to leave and come back does me no good. While a return to the queue system eliminates the need for some guests to need DAS, it does not help all. Therefore this new policy, at least as written, discriminates against those who have physical disabilities that prevent one from waiting in a queue even if a return to queue system exists.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter