DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

What a shame. This may have ended my Disney trips. Even a return-to-the-line type of pass will not work for my needs. Access to an appropriate place and/or the appropriate supplies is too distant from most queues. If I need to leave to attend to a problem, by the time I get to a location where I can attend to my needs hygienically it will be too late. Believe me, not everything is appropriate for public viewing not to mention the potential for bio waste. 🤢🤢🤢.

The DAS system made it possible for me to participate on most all the rides. Typically, I could attend to my needs prior to getting in the return line which was usually short enough that I didn’t have to worry. This plan will not work with lines longer than, say 45 minutes. Add 10-15 minutes to ride and exit and we’re at an hour. I think i could do that. But any longer and there’s gonna be a “clean up on isle 4.” lol….

Can you even imagine… having to exit the line, going backwards through a bunch of mad and sweaty people, on my way to attend to some…personal need….every 45 minutes. But the nearest facilities are ten minutes away, and then you have to wait for the handicapped stall once you get there. Clean up, then return to the line, passing by all the mad, sweaty people.

Nope nope nope.

This is Disney’s effort to decrease attendance for people who they have determined to be undesirable guests.

What a shame. This may have ended my Disney trips. Even a return-to-the-line type of pass will not work for my needs. Access to an appropriate place and/or the appropriate supplies is too distant from most queues. If I need to leave to attend to a problem, by the time I get to a location where I can attend to my needs hygienically it will be too late. Believe me, not everything is appropriate for public viewing not to mention the potential for bio waste. 🤢🤢🤢.

The DAS system made it possible for me to participate on most all the rides. Typically, I could attend to my needs prior to getting in the return line which was usually short enough that I didn’t have to worry. This plan will not work with lines longer than, say 45 minutes. Add 10-15 minutes to ride and exit and we’re at an hour. I think i could do that. But any longer and there’s gonna be a “clean up on isle 4.” lol….

Can you even imagine… having to exit the line, going backwards through a bunch of mad and sweaty people, on my way to attend to some…personal need….every 45 minutes. But the nearest facilities are ten minutes away, and then you have to wait for the handicapped stall once you get there. Clean up, then return to the line, passing by all the mad, sweaty people.

Nope nope nope.

This is Disney’s effort to decrease attendance for people who they have determined to be undesirable guests.
I wouldn’t feel defeated by this yet, we have very little information and people are making assumptions on things they don’t know yet. You should give it some time and gather more information once it goes live. You can even contact guest services before you are required to in the event you need to change your vacation plans.

So what do you do if you’re in the LL and these things happen?
They will let you come back. But that's easy to do when it's just one party asking to come back.
If it's true 80% of all LL scans are DAS, then you could end up overwhelming CMs with these requests. And there is still no real answer on how they will know exactly where you were in line, especially if it takes you a very long time to then come back.

At the end of the day, until we know how the return to line procedure works none of us can truly say if it will or won't work for us quite yet. I just hope that the process is well thought out and well executed to avoid extra stress for those of us that need to use the service and the CMs assisting.
I also hope that they make sure to find ways to accommodate people who are in wheelchairs or ECVs that can't easily exit if needed.

I definitely agree though I kinda wonder if someone released it as a means of gauging ahead of time if they need to make alterations to what they have planned. Which isn’t the best in terms of everything but I would rather have them realize that they need to maybe rethink something. Then have it dropped on us without notice and thus without seeing the actual impact ahead of time.

That makes sense, and is definitely a reason to make sure to email both guest.services@disneyworld.com and disability.services@disneyparks.com with any concerns you have on these changes.

Nope nope nope.

I can already see guests getting upset when people return to the line & take their back in their spot.
"You left you lost your spot... You weren't in front of me... You can't just get back in front of me... Etc. etc"
And the poor cast members who will then have to calm the situation. :(

People need to stop with the my diagnosis is worse than yours arguments. It is not helpful and frustrating to read. The hierarchy stuff is just not helpful here. We truly don’t know what Disney is doing. We just don’t. We need to see how it plays out. I totally understand the panic. It is scary. But none of this arguing is helpful. Also people threatening to go to the bathroom in the line is a bit much. I wear protection just in case so why doesn’t everyone who has one of these problems? I mean you have to be able to hold it in the lightning lanes or at least the rides. If you can’t you should be wearing a product that contains whatever is going to happen. Not fun. Not comfortable but I would think necessary. Not saying people with bathroom issues don’t need accommodations but the threats of having an accident that needs cleaned up is no different then people threatening to put their two year old next to you on a plane if you don’t give up a seat. I don’t mean to sound harsh but we need to be responsible for ourselves when we can.

If I am in the midst of a severe UC flare with poorly controlled blood glucose (which for me is inevitable in the Florida heat coming from the UK), it is not reasonable and trying to leave could cause me harm. This is actually something my doctor specified when applying for a similar system in the UK which actually required medical evidence.
I think I must be missing something in translation because when I'm having a GI flare, I want relief and would 100% prefer to leave a line (and miss an attraction) vs. getting on the attraction where I may have less control over my body due to a bump or movement. In those moments, my goal isn't to do the fun activity - it's to deal with the medical stress I'm having (I say this as someone who most recently went with two kids, majorly disappointing them by getting close to TSMM but needing to leave for the bathroom and not having obtained DAS, we felt our option was simply to leave - but that was far preferable to what would've happened if I had continued onto the attraction).

For those of us who have severe Crohn’s, it’s no scam. I get my DAS pass for the ride. Plan for a time when I think I can make it through the LL and hope.

I still have to bring a change of clothes and cleaning supplies to the park and accidents can happen. If you have not had the joy of pooping your pants as an adult not infrequently, I am going to say you may not understand that being able to get in a relatively short line at a time that I can choose is all that makes me able to go on attractions that have a more than 15 minutes wait.

And getting out of line, which is what I used to do before my official diagnosis, is neither easy or even possible on some attractions. I had more accidents. And now I have to use a scooter for a second physical problem so it’s not like I can dash to the bathroom like I used to. I won’t make it.

Note that I will be going to Universal this year, as well and they will accommodate for this.

All that said, I think this is all the hard line at first and that for those of us who actually do the interview and are honest, even without a developmental disability will be accepted. Or Disney is really screwed.
This!
I have not written test track in a long time because the queue is too long even with DAS. I just can't risk it.

This is just so nuanced... and its nuanced coming from both "sides." I will tell you why I think that...

My family would be eligible to use DAS in its current state, but we choose not to use it. I just pay for Genie + on both coasts, and we take breaks. It works for us.

But what I really think is the nuanced part is that no one if defining what "waiting in a long line" means. This is what I really can't wrap my head around. We've waited in LL/VQ lines that are 20-30mins. We've waited in standby lines that said 60mins but were actually 15... What if Disney said, "Disability access/LL for this ride is only available when the wait is over 60 mins.." We all know that would be a logistics nightmare.

I deff understand where the people who use the current system appropriately and need it are coming from, but I also see where Disney is coming from.

I’m absolutely disgusted by this revamping of DAS. I’m one of those whose disability is not mobility related or developmental. Not quite sure what I’ll do for our upcoming trip. I’ve always used DAS with my “hidden” disability. I guess it won’t be so hidden anymore. Wondering how many times I’ll need to test my blood sugar in a queue that’s really long and give an injection with people looking on. Handwashing before/after testing?? Not to mention it’s hard to do all that testing standing up/walking to keep up with those in front. I have so much scar tissue build up from using an insulin pump that I’m on a pump holiday and have someone give me my injection in an area that requires my pants to be down! This is not going to fly if I’m stuck in a long queue or have to leave several time with my mother (who uses an ECV) in tow to give me my injections. I also have a service dog and being in a long queue with her definitely will make me think even harder than I already was about leaving her behind. Using DAS with a shorter wait allowed me time to test my sugar before getting into a queue (always asked how long the LL queue is running and have had to even jump out of queue to deal with fluctuating numbers before). If I end up buying G+, how am I supposed to prove I was let out of the LL to deal with a medical issue and am not just trying to ride the attraction again since I was scanned in before I left the queue? Never had that issue with DAS as they could see I had it!

Is there a specific email that people are using to let Disney know their feelings on this matter? I’ve always been such a loyal fan to the brand that I am just beyond soured with this latest decision. This has definitely knocked me into the decision of not renewing my AP and debating about cancelling my upcoming trip in Aug. I was mentally preparing myself to have to jump through hoops to get my endocrinologist to write a letter in case the “rumor” was true and Disney adopted the UOR method. I’m just so appalled that Disney would make a blanket statement of only “developmental delays” can utilize DAS. And taking away the CM so you can’t apply in person—so now even if I tried to go without DAS and found I can’t manage while I’m in the park, I’m just s*** out of luck?! ARGH😡😡

I feel like a better way to cut back on abuse would be to require a scan in at the ride to get a DAS return time. Then abusers don’t see as much benefit (ie being able to select the next return time as soon as you scan in at your current ride and counting the walk over as part of your queue time). Because if you scan into RoR for example, that whole experience between pre shows and sorting into ride vehicles can easily take 30 min. Then add a 15 min walk to your next ride and you can immediately scan in at the LL on a ride that has a 60 min standby. I think that is a big motivator for the abusers.
Do you know how absolutely miserable the old system was? Because then I had to show my autistic child the ride that he then couldn’t get on for however long. We also often had to wait to speak to a cast member to get a return time and then I had to make my son leave so we could find something else to do while he had an absolute meltdown because he wanted to get on the ride right then.

This!
I have not written test track in a long time because the queue is too long even with DAS. I just can't risk it.
I tried Test Track with DAS and had to leave while in the room with the numbers on the floor before you go in to design the car. Single rider is the only way I have been able to ride in the last few years.

Do you know how absolutely miserable the old system was? Because then I had to show my autistic child the ride that he then couldn’t get on for however long. We also often had to wait to speak to a cast member to get a return time and then I had to make my son leave so we could find something else to do while he had an absolute meltdown because he wanted to get on the ride right then.

This is part of why universal’s is so hard to use and why we pay for express there instead of using it.

But what I really think is the nuanced part is that no one if defining what "waiting in a long line" means. This is what I really can't wrap my head around. We've waited in LL/VQ lines that are 20-30mins. We've waited in standby lines that said 60mins but were actually 15... What if Disney said, "Disability access/LL for this ride is only available when the wait is over 60 mins.." We all know that would be a logistics nightmare.
I’m pretty sure Disney defined it as anything 15min plus. I recall some conversation about using DAS at DAH and the poster being told DAS wasn’t offered during CM and the manager correcting them to it being available for anything with a posted 15+ minute wait time including during DAH.

This is just so nuanced... and its nuanced coming from both "sides." I will tell you why I think that...

My family would be eligible to use DAS in its current state, but we choose not to use it. I just pay for Genie + on both coasts, and we take breaks. It works for us.

I deff understand where the people who use the current system appropriately and need it are coming from, but I also see where Disney is coming from.
I don't think anyone's defined it because it's so unique for every individual.
As I stated above even with DAS, there are certain rides like test track I just can't do because the queue time is so long. I've left the Guardians line when the queue was backed up.
And I pray that a ride never breaks down and I need to be evac'd.
That's my worse fear..
DAS helps but it didn't solve all the problems.
Those 20-30 minutes LL/VQ were still issues for many.

People need to stop with the my diagnosis is worse than yours arguments. It is not helpful and frustrating to read. The hierarchy stuff is just not helpful here. We truly don’t know what Disney is doing. We just don’t. We need to see how it plays out. I totally understand the panic. It is scary. But none of this arguing is helpful. Also people threatening to go to the bathroom in the line is a bit much. I wear protection just in case so why doesn’t everyone who has one of these problems? I mean you have to be able to hold it in the lightning lanes or at least the rides. If you can’t you should be wearing a product that contains whatever is going to happen. Not fun. Not comfortable but I would think necessary. Not saying people with bathroom issues don’t need accommodations but the threats of having an accident that needs cleaned up is no different then people threatening to put their two year old next to you on a plane if you don’t give up a seat. I don’t mean to sound harsh but we need to be responsible for ourselves when we can.
lol ok, so the accommodation you are proposing is that people should wear depends when they go to Disney. Hehehehe.

I’m imagining how that conversation will go with the CMs.

Realistically, this plan is very naive and makes a lot of assumptions. Imagine this…not everyone “eliminates” in the same manner.

also, maybe I missed it, but I haven’t seen where people are threatening to have an accident in line. I think people have legitimate reasons for concern.

I feel like a better way to cut back on abuse would be to require a scan in at the ride to get a DAS return time. Then abusers don’t see as much benefit (ie being able to select the next return time as soon as you scan in at your current ride and counting the walk over as part of your queue time). Because if you scan into RoR for example, that whole experience between pre shows and sorting into ride vehicles can easily take 30 min. Then add a 15 min walk to your next ride and you can immediately scan in at the LL on a ride that has a 60 min standby. I think that is a big motivator for the abusers.
I’m with @dreamer17555 on this. Reverting back to this feels like it would be punishing us and them even more then we’re getting punished by the revamp. Plus some of the areas where you can scan in are a mess as it is before you add in the DAS scanning in twice (Everest on a crowded day is a nightmare).

Admittedly this isn’t the only issue here but I’m too tired to open that can of worms. And honestly don’t want too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter