DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

But what if I have a DAS *and* Genie +? [Something my family has considered, and I am sure others have as well].

And a return time for Genie + happens to be during a DAS wait time?

It doesn't make sense to bar DAS guests from particpating in rides/shows.

You can have a DAS return and a G+ return at the same time. DAS returns don't have a set expiration time.

Please Note: Guests visiting from April 9, 2024 through June 17, 2024 live video chat will be available 2 to 30 days in advance of a park visit and DAS is valid for the length of ticket or up to 30 days, whichever is shorter.
our group has DAS in place for upcoming trip starting April 16

Currently, APH DAS is 60 days, not 30.

Does this mean the family member needs to reapply on may 17th/30 days prior to next trip in June?

I’m just curious where people are seeing the language about more than 4 being accommodated if it’s immediate family? What I see now on the official page says 4 only, and nothing about more being accommodated…

I didn’t say it was abuse, because as you say, Disney encourages it.

However, it does provide better than equal access, which makes it more attractive to abusers.

Not to mention the fact that how long you can stay in the park is irrelevant to equal access to the attractions.
This is very important for folks to understand. Accommodations are not about recreating some ideal version of access where a disabled person has an equivalent experience to a theoretical non disabled person. Accommodations are designed to improve accessibility. It is up to each individual to determine how and when to make use of qualified accommodations.

No paperwork required but the biggest change is to the eligibility. From the sounds of it once this change takes affect DAS will only be for those with developmental disabilities. Which is devastating for many of us that seek DAS for another reason.

There will also be a "return to line" process they will roll out when it goes into affect to address the restroom concern some folks have had which lines up with folks being denied for IBS lately.
Denied for IBS?

Our last visit to WDW our son had to use the restroom multiple times in ride lines. The solution was quick—we met a cast member who took us on an expedited route to the nearest bathroom. We were then able to return to the line. Disney deals with this all the time.

I’m curious as to how IBS would ever qualify for DAS given restroom emergencies, or the potential for them, is quickly remedied by cast members as a routine event that occurs multiple times an hour in many queues.

Many DAS users don't have the stamina to be in the parks all day so going to shorter lines while waiting for a return time or using Genie + can even the playing field on what they can accomplish. This is not an abuse of the system and it's actually suggested by Disney in the FAQ.

That is very true, and is the case for our 11 year old, who has a medical problem. With the DAS, he was about to do perhaps 6 rides and feel like he enjoyed his day before crashing the rest of the day, while my husband and teen stayed the rest of the day and I took him back. My 11 year old and I would MUCH rather be at the park all day, doing something instead of back at the resort with him feeling weak and worried about if he can do more the next day. I think anyone with a physical or medical disability sure feels like they don't really get their money's worth out of the trip, but tries to enjoy what they can. Seems like we'll be enjoying far less.

Editing to add, we'd be happy to give documentation if that's what it needed for a DAS. He spend a half day or more each month at the children's hospital getting infusions, plus we spent more time each month at a slew of other doctors trying to manage symptoms. He looks normal and healthy. His insides are not.

Oh, I know! But I was commenting on the suggestion to bar those using DAS from going to another attraction. [As suggested by OurBigTrip for 'fairness'].
I’ve explained, but perhaps you missed it, that I was talking about utilizing a standby line while waiting for a DAS return. I never said anything Genie+

Yes - so in this respect the 120 days is actually more helpful.
My point was more compared to Universals new system where you don’t have to continue going through hoops/extended discussions each time it deactivates. They give you approval “for life” unless anything changes or you haven’t renewed your IBCCES card. No further conversations needed.

Obviously we don’t know the full extent of these live chats yet and I would understand the first (under this new process) being more thorough. But if we have to continue having the same conversation every four months (AP) or before every trip (tickets), explaining the exact details with a new cast member… it just feels a bit excessive and mentally exhausting.
Especially if you’re concerned about whether you’ll be denied by one cast member and approved by another.

I just hope they look at the previous/first approval and ask if everything’s the same, etc.
But again - speculation!

I
That's not really going to help weed out the liars then. If you want to take advantage of a program that's supposed to be only for disabled people, they should require proof that you have said disability. Anyone can say that they have a problem, but if you have a diagnosis and proof from your doctor, it's much harder to lie about that.

It will cut the ones that day of decide they all of sudden have some reason they need it when they don’t. I have personally known people that have done just that and brag about it.

Denied for IBS?

Our last visit to WDW our son had to use the restroom multiple times in ride lines. The solution was quick—we met a cast member who took us on an expedited route to the nearest bathroom. We were then able to return to the line. Disney deals with this all the time.

I’m curious as to how IBS would ever qualify for DAS given restroom emergencies, or the potential for them, is quickly remedied by cast members as a routine event that occurs multiple times an hour in many queues.
I think concerns are mentioned of getting in and out of line with a scooter or wheelchair.

I’m just curious where people are seeing the language about more than 4 being accommodated if it’s immediate family? What I see now on the official page says 4 only, and nothing about more being accommodated…
I was looking for this too. It's on their DAS page, under "Step 1: Register Registration is available via live video chat." Once you expand "Read More" it tells you.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/#drawer-card-DAS-register

There is a large blogger specializing in data who has been counting various rides blue lights vs green and talking about their findings on his podcast which is popular among Disney fans. So yes, randos have been watching the light colors and pointing out the meaning to all their followers.
No, that is not the case. You’re referring to Len Testa and his team (not him) counts people going into standby and LL lines all the time. It’s their business. They didn’t count blue lights vs green lights. They just counted the number of people entering the lightening lane.

I see a lot of comments here (and elsewhere) about a sharp uptick in DAS usage and that it’s indicative of rampant abuse. I’m not saying there aren’t some who abuse it - of course there must be, right? But - hear me out - what if an uptick in use is also indicative of more people being screened and diagnosed as we place a greater emphasis on physical and mental health - people who otherwise would have continued suffering without assistance - AND a greater knowledge and understanding of how DAS works and for whom it was always intended? IOW, maybe there were always more people who could and should avail themselves of the assistance, but never knew they could or should.

I think it's irrelevant. Disney is saying the number is too high, and this is their way of managing to a specific number without exposing themselves to discrimination / accommodation lawsuits.

There is a large blogger specializing in data who has been counting various rides blue lights vs green and talking about their findings on his podcast which is popular among Disney fans. So yes, randos have been watching the light colors and pointing out the meaning to all their followers.
His podcast on 12/4 at around the 17 min mark explains what was done. And I wouldn’t call him a blogger. He owns TouringPlans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter