DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

There is a large blogger specializing in data who has been counting various rides blue lights vs green and talking about their findings on his podcast which is popular among Disney fans. So yes, randos have been watching the light colors and pointing out the meaning to all their followers.

Yeah, I remember reading about this. It seems like such a strange waste of time.

I think you would be fine as they allow exceptions for ‘immediate family’.
Obviously the info given is pretty vague at the moment so there’s a lot of speculation but I would assume this one part is accurate to what they’re claiming!

I'll be curious to see what counts as "immediate family." To me, this wouldn't include grandparents. But I think for the purpose of this, they should count.

This exactly! I didn't get DAS for many years, I figured I wouldn't qualify. I would choose one park to go to with my family because after that day, my back would be locked up and I would have to hang back at the hotel for the next couple of days. I figured it was just what it was. Then someone recommended I apply for DAS hesitantly I did and was approved. Our next trip was amazing I was able to go to 4 parks, 4 days in a row. While I am sad to think that I am going to miss days with my family but I do believe that Disney will do the right thing. This is the initial statement and I hope with some time and "medical professionals" they will broaden the scope.

We didn't get our son DAS for his first couple trips because we figured even with his diagnosis, he mostly tolerated lines like other toddlers. But once he got a bit older, things got harder and we basically "gave in" and got DAS. It really made a huge difference for him and our trips. It's crazy to me that some of us worried about using it when it was actually needed....and then others just opening abuse the system. Horrible.

The practical problem is that you don’t tap in/scan for standby queues, so it’s hard to track. The ethical problem is where a standby queue becomes disqualifying— 20 minutes? 30 minutes? 45 minutes? Frankly, you need to be able to wait 40+ minutes to handle some of the LL returns (looking at you Test Track!).
Agreed, not to mention that not all queues are created equally. Some guests may have problems with feeling more enclosed, but open queues are more manageable. Some queues offer their own distractions like Pooh and Peter Pan, which may help other guests manage their wait.

The practical problem is that you don’t tap in/scan for standby queues, so it’s hard to track. The ethical problem is where a standby queue becomes disqualifying— 20 minutes? 30 minutes? 45 minutes? Frankly, you need to be able to wait 40+ minutes to handle some of the LL returns (looking at you Test Track!).
That plus all queues are not the same problem for all people. I have no issue with length of wait - I’ve waited hours for rides in my lifetime. There are queues in which I’m okay - Safari comes to mind - because its queue attributes aren’t a problem for me. Whereas HM is so challenging, it’s difficult for me even with DAS. So yeah - I could absolutely in theory have a DAS return time for ride A 3 hours from now and be in line for ride B, as well as eating lunch, using a restroom, having a sit somewhere, while waiting those 3 hours for ride A.

So the legal definition of immediate family includes grandparents. Are they saying grandparents are not allowed in the party of 6? Im seeing a lot of post saying no?

Yep.

I’ve often wondered why Disney doesn’t utilize this technology to catch abusers now.

If you have a DAS return time but you wait in an hour long queue for another ride while you wait for your DAS return, boom! You’re out.
For some though it’s not just the time in line. But the queue itself. Some are easier to wait in than others depending on the issue. Like for me, an outside queue would be no problem vs a closed in loud queue.

Did a quick google search for Florida law immediate family and got this result: "the term “immediate family” means a parent, spouse, child, sibling, grandparent, grandchild, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, mother-in-law, or father-in-law." So those concerned about grandparents may not have to be, guess we'll see. Though my disability may not qualify now anyway sadly.
I always read "immediate family" as including grandparents. Extended family is aunts and uncles, cousins, etc.

There is a large blogger specializing in data who has been counting various rides blue lights vs green and talking about their findings on his podcast which is popular among Disney fans. So yes, randos have been watching the light colors and pointing out the meaning to all their followers.
Wasn't it Len Testa, owner of Touring Plans who was doing that?

Sort of an aside, but I’ve never bothered with Universal’s version of DAS. I find that UO overall provides much wider, more open public spaces, including many queues, more seating and has less congestion than WDW - all of which make for a less problematic experience in general. On top of that, their wait times are generally much better for me for queues that are problematic (and they artificially inflate reported wait times - it helps to know that!), and tend to drop substantially at night in ways that WDW’s don’t. WDW’s queue issues in many ways are a problem of their own making, so it’s always made sense to me that they have a means of leveling the playing field for those whose disabilities make some queues impossible.

My main concern is the number of people, what they consider immediate family, and how? My family is very blended. I'm sure they wouldn't be so ignorant as to think all family members would have the same last name.

Ugh. Our trip is two days after the new DAS rollout. I’m pretty sure my son will qualify- but I can’t figure out how it works. As of yesterday, I thought I was to do the video call with him 30 days prior to trip.
Do we think that’s still the case?
The WDW site just has info for people traveling prior to May 19.
I’ll post back here if I hear anything or once we’ve attempted the process.

GAC and DAS veteran here. Abusers definitely need to be constrained. It hurts holders for sure, but we understand the reason behind it.

Disney goes through so much to try to make it.magical without upsetting the balance.

The verbiage remains vague on purpose to allow cm the ability to make a judgement.call, yet also.puts.them at a disadvantage on sly slick abusers.

Technology tracking is the key to leverage this and I am all for this.

We love how disney allows DAS. It is by far the most balanced and fair among theme parks.

The party of 4 is tricky as many true DAS holders really do travel with extended family like grandparents to support throughout the day. More often than not, 2+ members sit out of the ride anyways, but do alternative. It would great if the party isn't restricted but limit entrance to 4 per ride. The coding would have to be really altered for this though and surprised if Disney IT is up to task for it--- sorry IT, but you've kind of dropped the.ball over the years.

Agreed, not to mention that not all queues are created equally. Some guests may have problems with feeling more enclosed, but open queues are more manageable. Some queues offer their own distractions like Pooh and Peter Pan, which may help other guests manage their wait.
Fair enough - then just make it a rule that anyone with a DAS can’t utilize any standby line while they have a DAS return time.

Tap ins or not, they are able to read Magic Bands and tickets.

Part of the equation is to make DAS less attractive to abusers.

Pretty anxious. I guess it's good our annual trip got pushed from June to Sept because I need a surgery, so now we have time to see what happens, but we have been grateful for the DAS two years in a row. Our son isn't autistic, but he has medical disabilities, and I'm in shock that he might not be allowed a DAS.

Has it been clarified if you can do the video chat 120 days before your trip or is it 30 days before the trip and then good for 120 days? This all very confusing for someone that has severe anxiety and ocd. I have been sick all day worrying.

Is this still just rumors? I can’t seem to find it on any official Disney sites.
No it is posted that there will be changes on the official disney website. I started a rumor thread about a possible change via a website story that mentioned this change was forthcoming, and the rumor thread was locked by a moderator. I'm not knocking the decision to lock the thread but the rumor of a change in DAS was true, it just doesn't appear that TWDC has adopted this 3rd party system for documenting disabilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter