DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Calee

DIS Veteran
I searched for a thread but only saw one regarding Disneyland.

I’ve seen mention of some changes in DAS process happening beginning May 20th. We go in June so shortly after the changes take place so I just want to be sure I understand them. Has anyone else read about this yet? Can we discuss?

For the first point below, does this mean there is paperwork I need to gather in advance or submit to someone?

• We are teaming with Inspire Health Alliance’s health professionals, to help our Cast Members, as needed, determine eligibility for appropriate accommodations and ensure that these accommodations are provided only for the guests for whom they are intended.
  • We will be making efforts to preserve the Disability Access Service (DAS) for those it’s intended to accommodate — only those guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time. To help with this, we are also extending DAS enrollment for eligible guests from 60 days to 120 days and adjusting DAS party size to include no more than four, except for immediate family members.
These updates take effect on May 20 at the Walt Disney World Resort and on June 18 at the Disneyland Resort.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-access-services-for-disneyland-disney-world/

No paperwork required but the biggest change is to the eligibility. From the sounds of it once this change takes affect DAS will only be for those with developmental disabilities. Which is devastating for many of us that seek DAS for another reason.

There will also be a "return to line" process they will roll out when it goes into affect to address the restroom concern some folks have had which lines up with folks being denied for IBS lately.

I'm here to find out as well. We go on a cruise May 20-24 and were thinking about doing the parks the weekend after we get off, which will be right in the middle of all the changeover. I'm excited as well as anxious to see what these changes will entail!

Here's a summary of the changes:
  • The biggest change is DAS will now only be for guest with developmental disabilities (autism or similar) according to this language.
  • Party sizes have now also been changed to a maximum of four guests or immediate family only.
  • There will be a new "return to line" pass for folks that need to use the restroom in line. No details on this seem to be shared.
  • WDW will no longer let folks apply in person and folks at Disneyland applying won't do it at Guest Services inside the park, in a new location in the esplanade.
  • Health workers are now part of the decision making process when folks apply.

It sure looks like Disney is favoring a certain set of diagnoses to the exclusion of others. That seems on its face to run in conflict with the Equal Protections clause and contrary to the ADA which explicitly does NOT call attention to specific diagnoses but instead on activities of daily living.

It also looks like Disney is attempting to discontinue customer support for disability questions in the parks. That seems to create a huge issue unto itself.

Last edited:
There will be a new "return to line" pass for folks that need to use the restroom in line. No details on this seem to be shared.

Sounds like maybe they will be addressing the "I'm meeting up with my group up there" line cutting abuse. If they don't have a return pass, don't let them through! Make the rest of the group come back. I would love that part of it

I'm not going to lie. This is really scary. Narrowing DAS to only those with developmental delays will really impact my family's ability to do WDW and DL. We need DAS due to my youngest being medically complex. If we are stuck in a winding line with no way out and he needs airway clearance, we will hold up the whole line. He can be sensitive to heat. Literally everything takes us twice as long as everyone else due to my kiddo's complex needs. I am hoping there is still some form of access accommodations available to us or I fear our safe place to go will no longer feel that way.

Here's a summary of the changes:
  • The biggest change is DAS will now only be for guest with developmental disabilities (autism or similar) according to this language.
  • Party sizes have now also been changed to a maximum of four guests or immediate family only.
  • There will be a new "return to line" pass for folks that need to use the restroom in line. No details on this seem to be shared.
  • WDW will no longer let folks apply in person and folks at Disneyland applying won't do it at Guest Services inside the park, in a new location in the esplanade.
  • Health workers are now part of the decision making process when folks apply.
The last one-the health workers being part of the decision making. I guess that's what made me wonder if some sort of paperwork was required. I had heard rumor of it being like Universal and a 3rd party making the decision. Does this mean that when we do our pre-trip interview, a health worker will be doing the interview you think? I'm just trying to understand the mechanics of this. I hate being last minute or unprepared and I wish if there were changes coming it was either after our trip or longer before so there was time for me to understand what to do and hear reports of how its going!

I can gurantee, in typical Disney fashion, that their "return to line" pass will be a disaster.

Universal Studios partners with IBCCES for this task, and IBCCES has no issues with non-developmental disabilities such as IBS. Their service has been a life-saver for me.

I'll be taking my money down the road for my next vacation.

I really hope they figure out away to accommodate non developmental disabilities, as there are people who need/rely on the DAS. But I also see this is coming from the abuse they are seeing. I unfortunately know of people who abused the DAS, lying to get it and frankly they are the problem.

I really hope they figure out away to accommodate non developmental disabilities, as there are people who need/rely on the DAS. But I also see this is coming from the abuse they are seeing. I unfortunately know of people who abused the DAS, lying to get it and frankly they are the problem.

IBCCES, used by Universal and other theme parks across the world, is the solution. Non-developmental disabilities qualify. https://accessibilitycard.org/

Disney corporate just gets a thrill out of over-complicating things. It's exhausting, and only gets worse as time goes on.

This is terribly concerning for those who suffer from anxiety when being in enclosed spaces and/or in tightly packed crowds. I am not sure how some folks I know will manage the lines and pre-show rooms now. I don't think Disney has thought this through.

There are parts of resorts that are still completely inaccessible, DAS doesn't work for a decent chunk of people because of clogged up Genie+ lines, etc, and this is their main focus. All because, as Disney officials said, how many more DAS users there are, and they see that as a way to make money with genie+.
I guess that ignores the fact that there were disabled guests who could manage utilizing free fastpass and didn't need DAS with that option. Or that something like long covid is still ongoing and actively disabling people. Sure, here's where the attention is needed.

I always say I never see an attempt to "stop fakers" in terms of disability access that doesn't just hurt disabled people. This looks like it's gonna be a great example of that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter