DAS Card and Type 1 Diabetes questions

jimbostacks

Mouseketeer
Sorry new to this board, but my wife and son just got back from the Doctor and he mentioned that a DAS card is possible for the parks. I guess it could be really bad if he goes high and needs to test, pull out the needles and give a shot when it is body to body for Soarin for example.

IS the DAS card truly subjective to the cast member. My son looks healthy, but needs to test all day and correct with shots throughout the day. Probably not a great idea to have needles in line with other strangers too.

any experience here? thanks, Jim

While everyone is different.....I've been going to WDW for decades with Type 1 and I've never needed a DAS (or GAC). I can test, take shots, change pump locations or eat sugar anywhere, anytime, usually without anyone else noticing. Yes, lines are busy but I've never had people so closely packed that they were in danger of my insulin needle. I do get very quick, severe lows (30's) without warning, so I've left lines because I was so low my vision was going and I needed to sit and get lots of sugar but testing and correcting with insulin isn't a problem. You can try getting a DAS but its prob. best to check and correct before you get in a line...just in case you need to find some food. As an FYI, most doctors don't have a clue how WDW works or exactly what the DAS does. Most just recommend getting one, because they think their patients can skip the lines.

The DAS is offered and usually covers things not covered by a mobility device. However, with that said I don't think you would actually get a DAS but you can always speak with guest relations to see if they think it is needed. I've never experience a line that is literally shoulder to shoulder and the DAS is not immediate entry, your son would still be in a line for 15-20 minutes after the DAS time is up since you enter the FP line.

IS the DAS card truly subjective to the cast member. My son looks healthy, but needs to test all day and correct with shots throughout the day. Probably not a great idea to have needles in line with other strangers too.

Yes, it is.

He will still have to wait in line even if you do end up with a DAS, it'll just be a shortened wait. There will also be many many other lines the DAS doesn't cover, like any characters you may want to meet (that don't offer FP+), dining, entry, transportation, even the restrooms.

in order to get a DAS card you need to explain why you need to wait some where but the regular line. tow people could have the same thing and one will need a DAS card and one will not.

with that said I have been a lot and have never had a problem with giving my self a shot testing my BG, changing out my infusion set ( I even did it with out my friend that know I have type 1 with me, well in fact I can do most things with out anyone noticing) people at Disney really will not notice what he is doing ( as fair as T1D goes they are too busy with what they are doing)

I use a DAS card ( not for D but for other region) and I have friend with T1D that goes to Disney she said she like bing in lines since she is less likely to go low ( I know for me low at Disney happens a lot I normally have to do a temp Basel and drink sofa thought out the day and make sure I eat something ever 2 to 3 hours just to not go low) she said less likely for other guest to bump into her. when she is testing extra, but gain I do not wait in lines so I do not now

one thing I do know that some people with younger kids do ( and I do not know how old you child is) they will get a stroller as a wheel chair so if there child dose go low in line they have a place to sit ( I know a few family that do this.)

on another note when you do go to Disney no mater what kind of accomidation you do or do not get remember to being extra of every thing ( I once dropped a full bottle of test strips,) so extra extra extra of any thing he could need

have fun

My daughter has type 1 diabetes and each time we have travelled to WDW we have gotten the DAS. My reasoning was that the signs of being overheated closely mimic hypoglycemia and, with some of the lines being as long as they are, there is a risk of her needing to leave a line for a snack if she were low or that the Florida temps may adversely affect the insulin in her pump. The DAS doesn't shorten the wait time to ride but it does allow you to wait out your time in an airconditioned environment.

As an FYI, most doctors don't have a clue how WDW works or exactly what the DAS does. Most just recommend getting one, because they think their patients can skip the lines.
I just saw this and it reminded me of something.

I was at a JDRF walk last year when someone told me they were going to Disney and that they were going to use the fact there child had T1D to skip the lines, I heard she had a very bad trip as she was not allowed to skip the lines.

OP a few things I forget to say in my first post. you need to do what you think is best for your child. but no matter what make sure you test more often then you think ( lows and hight can sneak up and with the fun of being at Disney your child may not notice a low or a high.I try to test every hour ( even with a CGM on I do not feel low and I have gone from 82 to 30 in less then 5 minute) drink a lot of water and make sure you do not ( your T1D kid) dose not skip meal. I would also talk to your child's Endo ( I think you all ready did) but ask if your child is having a lot of low if they would want you to change his basle or bolus dose ( the I go to Disney I up my I to C ratio ( or is it lower) any way it changes I also change my Basel) your Endo will tell you what to do.

first aid can be a life saver I will go in and rest some times when I feel a little off
the low I had I was in first aid test because I felt a little off was 82 normally this is not low but at Disney I treat anything under 90 as low so I took 2 glosecos tablets and went to the bathroom I was not even done going when I went oh I feel low ( most of the time I do not even know) so went back to the room I was at and I was 30 ( even test 3 times to make sure) the nurse was great at making sure I got some sugar in me and fast they waited a few minutes them one when back stage and got me some chicken strips so that I could not go low agin ( I guest there was some place near by they got it for me) the moral of this kind of long story is do not be scary to ask for help. I can not tell you how many CM ( and other guest) have know about T1D and have offered me help when I have gone low ( I go a lone a lot so this is really nice) but most of the time I will just tell them I am fine.

I hope this helped you some.

My son has type 1 and has since he was 18 months old (he's a teenager now) and we routinely attend a large conference held often at WDW for those with type type 1 and their family members. We go to WDW a lot considering we don't live near Florida.

The bottom line is that the DAS is meant to help you or your child with their needs and everyone has different needs - even with the SAME diagnosis or medical condition. Some with type 1 struggle more than others in the theme park due to age, other health conditions, experience with type 1 (newly diagnosed?), experience touring a theme park, etc. There are also some children or adults who would not at all be comfortable doing shots and testing in public and others who couldn't care less. Someone who is used to cooler summer weather and less exercise might having nothing but constant lows in the Florida heat. I've also toured Disney with a type 1 adult who would go low for no apparent reason (severely reduced basal, no boluses, and they were eating constantly - to the point where eating was a chore). I could really go on and on about the different needs or reasons why someone with type 1 may or may not want/need a DAS but hopefully that gives you some idea.

Yes you can absolutely get a DAS if your needs warrant it - that's true for anyone. He often gets a DAS. The DAS won't cut the wait - the return time is the same - but yes you can wait it out elsewhere. Have we missed FP return windows because of type 1 issues? Yes - and that's one nice thing about the DAS is that there isn't a set hour window that you must you it.

However - your absolute BEST way to tour Disney - especially if there are crowds and it's hot - is to have a good touring plan. Understanding the FP system and getting FP's before your trip, arriving at rope drop, using extra magic hours (if you're eligible) and even buying some of the special event tickets if that fits into the budget (we have done this for the Halloween and Christmas parties and for that early morning MK where you get 4 rides including Mine Train and breakfast). Now with a teenager I'd love to do the special MK at night ticket - I'd definitely do that for him if it's offered in July. Obviously if you have a toddler - not such a great idea - but find what works for your child and your family.

Thanks everyone for information...ton of good advice. We have a good plan for the park and if it gets to be problem, may try and see if worth it. Going next week with large crowds, so we are prepared. We avoid the crazy long lines as it sucks the fun out of it. We go to WDW a lot, but this is his first visit with Type 1...... thanks!!!

We've had days at Disney during which my DS was eating constantly to fight the lows and other days where he was running so high, I felt horrible for making him stop and rest as often as he did. Some days just feel like diabetes diabetes diabetes.......but whatya gonna do? He's also had days in Disney where his diabetes was absolutely no trouble at all. Feels like as he gets older (he's 12 now), it's harder to control.

I've thought about DAS for him but don't really see how it would help. We have missed FP windows but how would a DAS have help in that situation?

I've thought about DAS for him but don't really see how it would help. We have missed FP windows but how would a DAS have help in that situation?

I know of a family that uses a DAS as insurance if there child ( with T1D) is having a bad day a lot of low or high were she might need to get out of line they will get a DAS return time and then wait in the stand by line if they get through with no problems they will have it canceled and do it a gain. ( I think they will also only use it if the wait is over 30 or 45 minutes) and they do have a good touring plan that they use. We were talking about the DAS and we both felt that using it the way I t was meant to ( like getting a return time find some where to wait) caused more lows ( I do agree with this some, but with my other disabilities I have no chose) but my friend finds using it as an insurance works well for them. ( I think they said last trip 7 days there they used it 2 or 3 times and canceled all of them, I think they said they have only really used the return time just a handful of times, they have been AP holders for a number of years so they go quiet often)

If you miss a FP do to medical problem go talk to a CM I find the GR CM the ones at the FP kiosk to be really good if you explain your need to them I had one set al my FP to any time FP for my trip so that I did not have to worry about missing a time, but yes I miss my FP all the time too I have a hard time going up to people to explain my need when I am in an over crowded area.

I have a hard time going up to people to explain my need when I am in an over crowded area.

This is probably a little bit true of us, too.

When the FP changed, i really thought a DAS might be necessary and planned to see how things went. However, after experiencing the days where he might have benefited from it, I wasn't sure what to do about it and since it was just a few times we didn't even ask.

If we miss a FP window, what would the DAS do? Allow us to enter the FP line even if we're late or give us a new window time?

If you miss a FP do to medical problem go talk to a CM I find the GR CM the ones at the FP kiosk to be really good if you explain your need to them I had one set al my FP to any time FP for my trip so that I did not have to worry about missing a time, but yes I miss my FP all the time too I have a hard time going up to people to explain my need when I am in an over crowded area.
I want to make sure that everyone understands this would be an extremely rare situation and it is not the norm. It is way more then would be required/expected by the ADA, so is very unlikely to happen and people should not expect it.

When the FP changed, i really thought a DAS might be necessary and planned to see how things went. However, after experiencing the days where he might have benefited from it, I wasn't sure what to do about it and since it was just a few times we didn't even ask.

If we miss a FP window, what would the DAS do? Allow us to enter the FP line even if we're late or give us a new window time?
The accommodation provided by DAS is the ability to wait outside of the regular line.

It is basically a Fastpass with the start of the window determined by the current wait time in the regular line.There is no end time to the window like Fastpasses have - it can be used until the end of the day (or until the attraction closes, if that attraction closes before the park closes).
Guests using DAS can only have one active DAS Return Time at a time and can't get another until they have used or cancelled the first DAS time.

Live shows are an exception to the window not ending; they have a beginning and end time since the DAS is for a specific showing (this would include things like Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo, Frozen Singalong, and Indiana Jones Stunt Show).

DAS might do nothing if you miss your regular Fastpass window. Whether the CM would allow guests with expired FP to enter the line anyway might depend on a lot of things - like how long past the time you are, whether the FP line is backed up, how long the regular wait is, how popular the attraction is, the type of attraction/capacity of the attraction , whether the attraction was down for a while, etc.
Whether or not the guest has DAS might not make any difference in whether the CM 'spreads a little pixie dust' and allows the guests in after the FP is expired.

If you miss your FP window, using DAS would allow you to make a DAS Return Time for that attraction (i. e. get a new window time) as long as you don't already have an active DAS time.

My daughter was diagnosed over a year and a half ago. Since then we have done Disneyland twice and Disney World once. Never had a problem. But as previous posters have said, all people are different. If you think it is needed ask. What did Bob from the podcast use to say? "They can't hit you".

Also utilize the first aid stations. It's a good place to test if you want privacy. They will also store your insulin in the fridge. Which is great on those hot Florida days.

the DAS and FP are two different things I have a few times gone up to the CM at the FP window and said I misses my FP because I had some medical problems some times they will let me in some times they will not.

only you know if a DAS is right for you/your child. and you will need to be able to explain this to the CM at GR. but if you go and only have a few times you miss a FP I would just go up and talk to the CM at the FP entrance.

For people saying "how can das help if I miss my fast time?" , it can help three ways. First, you can have both a das time and a fast pass time open at the same time, so if there is something you really want to do, get both. Then if something comes up and you miss the fp window, you can still use your das time. Second, a situation comes up and you realize it's going to make you miss your fp time, you can go ahead and get a das, so that when the medical situation has been resolved you can go back to the ride. Third, a situation cameup and you've already missed your fp window, and you can't get another fp. Get a das time instead. just because you get a das doesn't mean you have to use it constantly, or even atall. Sometimes it might be helpful just to have it as an "emergency" back up in case your medical condition causes the fast pass to fail

We've never asked to use the FP outside the FP window when we've missed it but I think that's sort of situational. Your toddler missing his/her most favorite ride in the whole universe ever while fighting a low - yeah I'd probably ask the CM if they'd still honor the FP. We go to WDW a lot and my kids are older (my son with type 1 is a teenager) so the DAS is more backup plan. And if we DAS'd a ride he'd missed the FP window for then it would involve more waiting but he'd be ok with that and he can stay up later than little kids, etc.

He's had type 1 since he was 26 months old (if I said 18 months earlier that was my mistake - he couldn't walk until he was 18 months old because of another medical issue) and we've been going to Disney since before he had diabetes. We've been there through all sorts of weather (hot and cold), set malfunctions, one time his pump broke and they mailed a new one.....well...the list goes on. Some trips are easier than others diabetes-wise...that's for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter