DAS-ASD1/Epilepsy/etc.

PavlovPluto

Earning My Ears
My daughter started going to WDW when she was 9, and her 7th trip is coming up next month. She is now 18. We have never requested DAS in the past, as we always made our own accommodations by going at less busy times, but those don't seem to exist anymore. Her sensory issues (touch, sound) have gotten worse as she's gotten older, and we had our first WDW meltdowns on her last trip in May of 2018. Her issues with lines are more about the people we could get trapped next to. Her biggest issue is strangers touching or bumping into her, which can happen repeatedly if you get stuck with the wrong people in line. For one example, we had a family with small kids behind us last time, and they kept letting the kids go ahead between us to look ahead to see what was coming next to see in the line. They would brush past us, or bump into us, which is a mild irritation to to a typical person, but a major irritation to a person with those sensory issues. It basically drains her ability to cope, and my wish is that we keep the drains on her at a minimum so we can make it through a day at the park.

So, that brings me to some questions. Is this an issue that DAS is intended to deal with? Will the fact that we've never requested DAS in the past impact their decision to grant it on our next trip? Also, if you have kids with similar issues, do you have any good quiet locations in the parks for when they need a break? I did read about the first aid locations, but she wouldn't want to go in there because sick people could be in there. She's not a fan of germs; we go through a lot of anti-bacterial wipes on our park days!

I would go talk to GR about your child’s needs that DAS could help her not be in the line for so long but people will still do what the kids were doing ( I have the same problems) one thing you can do is try to at stand in between her and whom every in in her space or ask them nicely not too

Last edited:
I would go talk to GR about your child’s needs that DAS could help her not be in the line for so long but people will still do what the kids were doing ( I have the same problems) one thing you can do is try to at stand in between her and whom every in in her space or ask them nicely not too

My husband will be on our next trip, so hopefully that will help with a buffer zone. Taking her by myself on the last trip probably wasn't the best idea, and the trip before that he was there but got the flu and didn't make it to a single park. Hoping for a better trip next month!

My husband will be on our next trip, so hopefully that will help with a buffer zone. Taking her by myself on the last trip probably wasn't the best idea, and the trip before that he was there but got the flu and didn't make it to a single park. Hoping for a better trip next month!
Oh no getting sick at Disney is not fun. When I get more time I will post some other idea for you

This is definitely the kind of issues the DAS was created for. You will need to speak to Guest Relations about her specific issues in lines, but I would not hesitate to recommend requesting a DAS. The fact that she didn’t get one in the past should not have an impact. What the GR cast members will ask about are her needs during this trip.

Last edited:
This is definitely the kind of issues the DAS was created for. You will need to speak to Guest Relations about her specific issues in lines, but I would not hesitate to recommend requesting a DAS. The fact that she didn’t get one in the past should not have an impact. What the GR cast members will ask about are her needs during this trip.

Thank you!

Is this an issue that DAS is intended to deal with?
My teen son is autistic (Asperger's) and we're local to WDW: for 16 years, we just visited at lower crowd times, used FP, and spent less time in parks to give him what he needs. Like you, though, we've found it harder and harder to make our own accommodations and finally requested DAS for him this past spring... it's been SO helpful! I explained our situation and how we've managed it in the past, and the CM jumped right in before I got to it, saying, "But with FPs being gone for the good stuff at 60 days, you don't stand a chance, and parks are busier than ever, right? That's exactly why we offer the DAS program, to help folks like your son still be able to enjoy their time!" So yes, I very much encourage you to inquire about it.

One thing about annoying people in line - DAS won't solve that entirely, so you'll want some back-up ideas in mind, just in case. I'll switch places with my son if that helps, and I've let other groups go past to get ourselves in a better situation.

Will the fact that we've never requested DAS in the past impact their decision to grant it on our next trip?
Not at all. Like I said, we never had it and finally asked about it after 16 years of visits!

Also, if you have kids with similar issues, do you have any good quiet locations in the parks for when they need a break?
Unfortunately, this is getting harder to find and will depend a lot on what your daughter's triggers are. My son brings his iPhone and headphones to the parks - if we can get somewhere semi-quiet, that's good enough once he has his headphones on and can focus on music or video games. QS restaurants are almost always nearby, wherever we happen to be, and are a good place for my son to chill for a while if we're outside of busy meal times. AK and EP are his easiest parks because we spend a lot of time on animal trails at AK, which are usually pretty quiet and low-key, and EP has expansive walkways that allow my son to feel like he has more buffer from stimulation. We simply don't spend more than a few hours at a time in MK or DHS, because those are the hardest parks for him. With MK, grabbing a monorail or boat to a resort or two for a snack, sit, video arcade break can be helpful. DHS is just rough - other than a meal at a TS place, there really isn't any place there where he feels relaxed.

Her biggest issue is strangers touching or bumping into her, which can happen repeatedly if you get stuck with the wrong people in line. For one example, we had a family with small kids behind us last time, and they kept letting the kids go ahead between us to look ahead to see what was coming next to see in the line. They would brush past us, or bump into us, which is a mild irritation to to a typical person, but a major irritation to a person with those sensory issues. It basically drains her ability to cope, and my wish is that we keep the drains on her at a minimum so we can make it through a day at the park.

So, that brings me to some questions. Is this an issue that DAS is intended to deal with? Will the fact that we've never requested DAS in the past impact their decision to grant it on our next trip? Also, if you have kids with similar issues, do you have any good quiet locations in the parks for when they need a break? I did read about the first aid locations, but she wouldn't want to go in there because sick people could be in there. She's not a fan of germs; we go through a lot of anti-bacterial wipes on our park days!

That can happen in the FP queue too, but of course you are not waiting as long. When you go to guest services, just explain why she cannot handle waiting in the standard queue. But what will you do if it happens in the FP queue?

Quiet areas at MK - Tom Sawyer's Island, but you have to take a raft out there. Sometimes the back connection between Adventureland and Frontierland is quiet, unless a parade is about to start. One of the first side streets on Main Street can be quiet as well.

Quiet areas at DHS - there's a little alcove on the way to ToT that we've found to be deserted most of the time. Not sure exactly where it is (it's been a few years) but it's on the right.

Quiet areas at EPCOT - look in World Showcase, in the back parts of the countries (except France, where they are building) Future World is so torn up now, not sure if there is anything resembling quiet space, except maybe over by Figment?

Quiet areas at AK - parts of the paths that go around the Tree of Life, and down to the river (some are for character meets though) and the patios with tables by Flame Tree when it's not meal time :)

I'd stay out of First Aid - too many kids will be in there crying ;)

My teen son is autistic (Asperger's) and we're local to WDW: for 16 years, we just visited at lower crowd times, used FP, and spent less time in parks to give him what he needs. Like you, though, we've found it harder and harder to make our own accommodations and finally requested DAS for him this past spring... it's been SO helpful! I explained our situation and how we've managed it in the past, and the CM jumped right in before I got to it, saying, "But with FPs being gone for the good stuff at 60 days, you don't stand a chance, and parks are busier than ever, right? That's exactly why we offer the DAS program, to help folks like your son still be able to enjoy their time!" So yes, I very much encourage you to inquire about it.

One thing about annoying people in line - DAS won't solve that entirely, so you'll want some back-up ideas in mind, just in case. I'll switch places with my son if that helps, and I've let other groups go past to get ourselves in a better situation.

Not at all. Like I said, we never had it and finally asked about it after 16 years of visits!

Unfortunately, this is getting harder to find and will depend a lot on what your daughter's triggers are. My son brings his iPhone and headphones to the parks - if we can get somewhere semi-quiet, that's good enough once he has his headphones on and can focus on music or video games. QS restaurants are almost always nearby, wherever we happen to be, and are a good place for my son to chill for a while if we're outside of busy meal times. AK and EP are his easiest parks because we spend a lot of time on animal trails at AK, which are usually pretty quiet and low-key, and EP has expansive walkways that allow my son to feel like he has more buffer from stimulation. We simply don't spend more than a few hours at a time in MK or DHS, because those are the hardest parks for him. With MK, grabbing a monorail or boat to a resort or two for a snack, sit, video arcade break can be helpful. DHS is just rough - other than a meal at a TS place, there really isn't any place there where he feels relaxed.

Thank you for your response!

That can happen in the FP queue too, but of course you are not waiting as long. When you go to guest services, just explain why she cannot handle waiting in the standard queue. But what will you do if it happens in the FP queue?

Quiet areas at MK - Tom Sawyer's Island, but you have to take a raft out there. Sometimes the back connection between Adventureland and Frontierland is quiet, unless a parade is about to start. One of the first side streets on Main Street can be quiet as well.

Quiet areas at DHS - there's a little alcove on the way to ToT that we've found to be deserted most of the time. Not sure exactly where it is (it's been a few years) but it's on the right.

Quiet areas at EPCOT - look in World Showcase, in the back parts of the countries (except France, where they are building) Future World is so torn up now, not sure if there is anything resembling quiet space, except maybe over by Figment?

Quiet areas at AK - parts of the paths that go around the Tree of Life, and down to the river (some are for character meets though) and the patios with tables by Flame Tree when it's not meal time :)

I'd stay out of First Aid - too many kids will be in there crying ;)

Thanks!

Unfortunately, this is getting harder to find and will depend a lot on what your daughter's triggers are.
What about some of the former smoking areas? Walkway along the outside of Fantasy Land, that area on the river across from BTMRR, the hidden path in World Showcase of its less overgrown than it used to be (aka, not hidden), um, I only recall two at DHS, so maybe the area near ToT and the Fantasmic exit gate?

Sorry it took me so long to write this post But I was going to say a few quite place I have found and some places that can be very tight and crowded at times

MK
some places I have found that are quiet ( or at lest where your less likely for someone to bump into you some places I put my noise canceling head phones on if it is too loud)

the grassy area up by the castle are normally not crowded but with the castle show and Move it... thing going on it dose get loud

By most bathroom there are normally some benches and it can be quieter ( the one by 7DMT /Pinocchio village house, the ones by space and the one by POTCB are normally less crowded and you can often find a set

the area behind 7DMT where Gastons/ be our Guest and Enchanted tell with bell under the sea tends to be less crowded ( and there is the little hidden prince Eric work shop that you can go and look around it does not have much so most do not go in but it is in the shade

behind the Christmas shop is a great area.

A few areas that can get very congested between IASW and Peter Pan is a nightmare in the middle of the day also the area leading back to BTMRR is crazy BTMRR would be my faverat ride if it was not for the walk to the ride also the Bathroom between splash and BTMRR tends to be crowded Also after the parade lets up it is very crowded I have used the handicap area ( last time I went if you had a need to use it you could) or I would sit in the grassy area you do not get front row but you can see most and I would just stay where you are a a few minutes and let everyone go before going any where

Animal Kingdom this one it is so easy to find a hidden walk way to go down I normally have no problem finding some hidden spot there

the last time I was there a few month a go they had a live band and dancing close to Dug and Russel meet and greet and also Mombass market place( close to the safari ) so they can get loud and crowded ( the last one might have gotten canceled come to think of it)

also when the show get out ( the lion king and finding Nemo ) those area get very crowded but this only last a minute or two

EPCOT so much has changed here I think all my spots are gone and the would show case it is easy to pop back into a quiet area in the back of one of the country I like to sit a little further back to see some of the show they preform some of them are amazing

HS another one that is hard with all the change but by TOT they have the old smoking area that tends to be quiet around echo lake you can normally find a spot. I have had some luck with Commissary lane

TSL and the SWGE are the two now lands and I have yet to find a quiet spot in there.

All the parks have first aid that you can use I use them so much most of the nurses know me by name ( even sadder I do not know there names) they do a great job of keeping it quiet but even now and then there are people talking ( they tend to ask then not too) and even fewer time someone is hurt and upset this has only happened 3 times I can remember and noise canceling heard phones works great in first aid they also have ear plugs

I hope this helps

Just to let everyone know, you don’t have to go to guest relations for a DAS. I got one on my last trip and a guest experience member was able to issue it. There was no one waiting so it ended up being much better than going to guest relations.

Just to let everyone know, you don’t have to go to guest relations for a DAS. I got one on my last trip and a guest experience member was able to issue it. There was no one waiting so it ended up being much better than going to guest relations.
OP and anyone else you can check my signature for the thread about the guest experience team and where they are located at each park. Just know that some dismembered have said the CM have told them they can not do the DAS there and other have had no problem with them helping so it might depend on the CM and what way Disney is deciding to go at that time. I know a lot of people have let Disney know how much GE have helped or would help them with the DAS so if you find them helpful with the DAS please let Disney know.

What about some of the former smoking areas? Walkway along the outside of Fantasy Land, that area on the river across from BTMRR, the hidden path in World Showcase of its less overgrown than it used to be (aka, not hidden), um, I only recall two at DHS, so maybe the area near ToT and the Fantasmic exit gate?
Nope, none of those are as good for my son as simply exiting the parks - when he hits "DONE," that's it.

WDW now has regular crowds of 20,000 people or more in the Parks at any given time. It's just a crowded, sensory overload kind of place!

I am not sure how a DAS will help deal with "there's people near me & I feel uncomfy about that; augh someone's arm *touched* me!!!!". That sounds like an issue to work through by repeated exposure and practice. Create those buffer zones in lines but realize Disney cannot give you the large personal space bubble that you once enjoyed.

Sorry it took me so long to write this post But I was going to say a few quite place I have found and some places that can be very tight and crowded at times

MK
some places I have found that are quiet ( or at lest where your less likely for someone to bump into you some places I put my noise canceling head phones on if it is too loud)

the grassy area up by the castle are normally not crowded but with the castle show and Move it... thing going on it dose get loud

By most bathroom there are normally some benches and it can be quieter ( the one by 7DMT /Pinocchio village house, the ones by space and the one by POTCB are normally less crowded and you can often find a set

the area behind 7DMT where Gastons/ be our Guest and Enchanted tell with bell under the sea tends to be less crowded ( and there is the little hidden prince Eric work shop that you can go and look around it does not have much so most do not go in but it is in the shade

behind the Christmas shop is a great area.

A few areas that can get very congested between IASW and Peter Pan is a nightmare in the middle of the day also the area leading back to BTMRR is crazy BTMRR would be my faverat ride if it was not for the walk to the ride also the Bathroom between splash and BTMRR tends to be crowded Also after the parade lets up it is very crowded I have used the handicap area ( last time I went if you had a need to use it you could) or I would sit in the grassy area you do not get front row but you can see most and I would just stay where you are a a few minutes and let everyone go before going any where

Animal Kingdom this one it is so easy to find a hidden walk way to go down I normally have no problem finding some hidden spot there

the last time I was there a few month a go they had a live band and dancing close to Dug and Russel meet and greet and also Mombass market place( close to the safari ) so they can get loud and crowded ( the last one might have gotten canceled come to think of it)

also when the show get out ( the lion king and finding Nemo ) those area get very crowded but this only last a minute or two

EPCOT so much has changed here I think all my spots are gone and the would show case it is easy to pop back into a quiet area in the back of one of the country I like to sit a little further back to see some of the show they preform some of them are amazing

HS another one that is hard with all the change but by TOT they have the old smoking area that tends to be quiet around echo lake you can normally find a spot. I have had some luck with Commissary lane

TSL and the SWGE are the two now lands and I have yet to find a quiet spot in there.

All the parks have first aid that you can use I use them so much most of the nurses know me by name ( even sadder I do not know there names) they do a great job of keeping it quiet but even now and then there are people talking ( they tend to ask then not too) and even fewer time someone is hurt and upset this has only happened 3 times I can remember and noise canceling heard phones works great in first aid they also have ear plugs

I hope this helps

Thank you for all of the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter