DAS and Rider Swap

cosmicmommy

Out of This World Mom
With the new digital rider swap, has anyone had any experience with using it along with the DAS? Do they interfere with each other or can I hold a rider swap time and a DAS return time at the same time?

Quick back story: My MIL is joining us at the parks for the first couple of days, so me and the other kids will be able to ride some of the rides my Aspie can't tolerate utilizing the digital rider swap and swapping off with her. However, I'd like to be able to have a return time for some of the longer wait rides for him so that when we're done with the rider swapping, we can go straight onto something he wants to do. I figured we could get a return time, then go do a rider swap while we wait, then go back and use the DAS return time.

With the new digital rider swap, has anyone had any experience with using it along with the DAS? Do they interfere with each other or can I hold a rider swap time and a DAS return time at the same time?

Quick back story: My MIL is joining us at the parks for the first couple of days, so me and the other kids will be able to ride some of the rides my Aspie can't tolerate utilizing the digital rider swap and swapping off with her. However, I'd like to be able to have a return time for some of the longer wait rides for him so that when we're done with the rider swapping, we can go straight onto something he wants to do. I figured we could get a return time, then go do a rider swap while we wait, then go back and use the DAS return time.

Sounds like a plan, and it should work, as long as the child staying with MIL is too short for the attraction (so it only works for attractions with a height requirement)

Sounds like a plan, and it should work, as long as the child staying with MIL is too short for the attraction (so it only works for attractions with a height requirement)

He's not too short for the attraction, but it sends him into meltdown, so he refuses to ride it. Neither of my younger two care much for it, but my oldest loves it.

I should add that we will be rope dropping the attraction in question, not using a Fastpass.

He's not too short for the attraction, but it sends him into meltdown, so he refuses to ride it. Neither of my younger two care much for it, but my oldest loves it.

I should add that we will be rope dropping the attraction in question, not using a Fastpass.

We've been able to get rider switch for kids who are tall enough for the ride but unwilling/unable to go on them, as well.

Not sure if that will work then - it might, but you should have a backup plan in place?

We've been able to get rider switch for kids who are tall enough for the ride but unwilling/unable to go on them, as well.

Not sure if that will work then - it might, but you should have a backup plan in place?

My MIL is a saint, so she'll probably just offer to sit out, but I'd like her to be able to ride with my oldest since we only get to see her a couple times a year and she is joining us in Disney to spend time with the kids. I can probably convince my youngest to ride it if I promise to hold on tight to him, but my middle ended up riding it twice last time and the second time, it totally set him off and he screeched in fear the entire time.

For all intents and purposes, all three of my kids meet all current height requirements at Disney, but my younger two and especially my Aspie (who will have the DAS) has sensory issues so certain things make his skin crawl like Big Thunder Mountain (the attraction in question here) and the stretching room at Haunted Mansion, but the kid loves Everest and is dying to try Rock N Rollercoaster. He's an enigma that's for sure.

Is that for an attraction with or without a height requirement?

We've done it for rides without height restrictions when my son was unwilling to ride - he went through a period about a year ago where he was terrified of any of the traditional dark rides, even Small World. This was at DL and not WDW, if that makes any difference, but I did confirm with a CM at guest services that a child being unwilling to ride was a valid reason for getting a child swap. We did occasionally get minor pushback from some CMs ("there's no height restriction") but I just reiterated that he was unable to ride due to sensory issues. We were a family of four (with a baby at the time) so it often ended up being one of the adults riding with the baby, and then the other adult would ride on the rider swap solo.

So being able to secure the rider swap not withstanding, I should be able to carry a digital rider swap and a DAS return time at the same time...?

For all intents and purposes, all three of my kids meet all current height requirements at Disney, but my younger two and especially my Aspie (who will have the DAS) has sensory issues so certain things make his skin crawl like Big Thunder Mountain (the attraction in question here) and the stretching room at Haunted Mansion, but the kid loves Everest and is dying to try Rock N Rollercoaster. He's an enigma that's for sure.
I have asked and been allowed to skip the streaching room for HM

I have asked and been allowed to skip the streaching room for HM
We skip it too, just pointing out one of the things he has sensory issues with. he has tactile sensory issues and doesn't respond well to the touch of stangers, hence why he gets the DAS pass to begin with.

We also skip the Preshow at Tower of Terror, although with MIL visiting, she can be the one who skips my Aspie through while I let the other two see these preshows that they've never seen.

Piggybacking my own question here. I have seen mention of a preshow for FOP. Is it crowded and squished in like Tower of Terror or Haunted Mansion?

We skip it too, just pointing out one of the things he has sensory issues with. he has tactile sensory issues and doesn't respond well to the touch of stangers, hence why he gets the DAS pass to begin with.

We also skip the Preshow at Tower of Terror, although with MIL visiting, she can be the one who skips my Aspie through while I let the other two see these preshows that they've never seen.
I did not know you can skip the preshow to TOT. hate that part ( really hate the getting out part more. If you have not done the Aline ride in TSL at the end they put you in a area with a lot of others I ask to use the handicap entrance so I do not have to go in there just and FYI Incase you have not done this one yet.

Piggybacking my own question here. I have seen mention of a preshow for FOP. Is it crowded and squished in like Tower of Terror or Haunted Mansion?
No I can handle this so much better then the other you have a number to stand on each person gets there own number too if it is tiching by stranger he should be fine just have family around him. And it is not crowded at all. Skin swilling in TSL is much worst

I did not know you can skip the preshow to TOT. hate that part ( really hate the getting out part more. If you have not done the Aline ride in TSL at the end they put you in a area with a lot of others I ask to use the handicap entrance so I do not have to go in there just and FYI Incase you have not done this one yet.
We have not, so thank you for the head's up. We haven't seen anything that has opened after Feb 2017.

But yes, skipping Tower of Terror was trickier, but it was possible. They just told us to follow the group leaving out and they held the door for us to slip through ahead of the incoming group.

No I can handle this so much better then the other you have a number to stand on each person gets there own number too if it is tiching by stranger he should be fine just have family around him. And it is not crowded at all. Skin swilling in TSL is much worst
He can handle brief touches and brushes, but he freaks out if pushed up against someone he doesn't know and explicitly trust for an extended period.

He can handle brief touches and brushes, but he freaks out if pushed up against someone he doesn't know and explicitly trust for an extended period.
He should be fine in the first room you are in two rows staggered with a small wall in between you with numbers on the ground to stand on. This room you stand like you are lining up but your stagered and there is just one person for each spot The second room you stand in two lines and are shoulder to shoulder ( not tuching) again there is number to stand on if your he is at the end he can take a step to the side if there are too many people next to him the front row ( number 1-8) he can take a small step up if the person behind him is too close. Really good numbers for him to stand on would be 1,8 ,9,16 ad they are on the ends of the row and will give him more room but he should be ok

We have not, so thank you for the head's up. We haven't seen anything that has opened after Feb 2017.

But yes, skipping Tower of Terror was trickier, but it was possible. They just told us to follow the group leaving out and they held the door for us to slip through ahead of the incoming group.
I think for me it is the nose of the ride and crowds combines that dose me in you can see the area before you get in the ride he might do ok if he is in the back

Would he fit in a stroller? A stroller would give him the space he needs (and an area to tune out in)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!