DAS and infant, and a few other questions.

A couple things that have not been mentioned -

From your description, it sounds like you would have 2 children with mobility related disabilities who would need assistance with transferring. In addition, you have a toddler and a baby who would need help transferring. There is limited time to get onto attractions - even the ones that come to a full stop and Disney CMs are not able to assist with transfers (other than things other than moving a wheelchair away after the user has transferred to the ride car or holding the wheelchair). You won't be able to get one child on, then go the next child to get on, etc.

Also, it's important to realize that ride car seats are surfaces like hard plastic or fiberglass. Most of them are fairly slippery and have low backs and sides. So, someone who has any difficulty with being able to sit in a stable way in that kind of seat will need someone sitting next to them to stabilize them (possibly on both sides).

Parking at AK, EPCOT, and DHS are much easier than MK. It is still a ways to walk to the front, but relatively flat with no extra transfers so very doable from the handicap parking.

When we went in September it was hot. I don't mean kind of warm. I mean drenched in sweat, almost as bad as July, sweltering. I'd go in January. You'll need a good swaddling wrap or baby carrier for the many, many times you have to park the stroller (unless you get a stroller as wheelchair tag) which will make it feel even hotter!

I would definitely stay off site. We love the villas at Windsor Hills. The drive from your front door to most park entrances is faster than most buses from the resorts (which would be a pain with multiple wheelchairs and strollers). We can usually get a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo for $60-$75/nt, or a 5-6 bedroom house with private pool and hot tub for less than $200/nt. The grand villa's are ridiculously expensive even when you can find availability on DVC points.

One thing you might do for the kids' wheelchairs is add something big and flashy to the back/top to help with visibility. People are distracted and moving quickly, so some will certainly bump into her. Do what you can to prepare her for that and think if there is anything you could do to reduce the likelihood. Increasing visibility and using the rest of your party as a buffer are the usual recommendations.

No one can guarantee that your family will qualify for a DAS, but the cast members have always been incredibly supportive and helpful with our family. We travel with large and shifting parties and have never had a problem getting the DAS updated for the family members touring any given day. The first day takes a while to explain to Guest Services the need for the DAS and get it all set up. Make sure everyone is present to have their bands added to the DAS (some report that you only need their bands, but we have had to retrieve all guests in person, so we keep everyone close by). The DAS will be good for the whole trip, but you will need to return to guest services each time new friends/family need to be added to the party.

Based on the ages of your party, you will definitely have issues getting everyone on some rides. The 8yo could ride alone, but each of the younger ones will have to be accompanied by and adult 14+. Many rides allow 3 per row or one adult per car, but two wheel chairs might result in additional seating restrictions as well. Because of safety issues, there is no flexibility on this. You will need to research each ride individually or just wing it knowing that you will face some disappointments.

Honestly though, there is a lot more to experience at Disney than rides. Embrace the atmosphere and character experiences. It sounds like you are trying to make it perfect for everyone else, but be sure to choose a couple experiences that YOU want. One of mine is always getting the Photopass--the memories and pictures are priceless!

Thanks for the Windsor Hills suggestion. I will look into it. Do you generally find accessible units there?

I like the idea of tying something to the stroller bar of DD6's wheelchair, a flag or something. DD8's has a giant bright red canopy.

Are there going to be rides where the baby can ride (8 months if we go in January, but likely not sitting up yet), that are strict on 2 to a seat? Or can I assume that someone will be able to ride with him and DS5 together? That gives me someone for each of the girls.

I am going to play it by ear on the days with the nanny, if we can't ride at all that's OK. One ride I was thinking might be doable is the safari, because of the wheelchair ride.

I would highly recommend waiting until January because of the miserable heat. Is your plan for your baby to be in the stroller? We found a stroller with an infant seat was way too hot for my daughter last year and we couldn't use it. My son, who has Down syndrome, could not sit by himself in a stroller at 5 months. I assume you will be bringing a baby carrier - make sure it is lightweight! I am from the Midwest and was planning to wear an Ergo, but it was miserable for my baby. I got a ring sling which worked much better. We took my son to Disney at 5 months and again at 8 months. He was the easiest kid, although he is making up for it now. :-) He was still sleeping 16-18 hours a day. Another reason for a carrier - if your baby is also sleepy, you won't have to wake him to go on rides and you will have another hand free.

If it were me, I would would be prepared to have the baby in a lightweight carrier and the 6YO and 3YO in a stroller. I know that isn't ideal, but it would be good to have as a backup plan. As others have said, it is a very long way from parking to the rides.

My other unsolicited advice is to spend a lot of timing planning. You can already make dining reservations. I think table service character meals would be your best bet for character meets and a nice break. Research rides so you know what you can go on. You may have issues with a lot of rides due to the ages and mobility issues in your party and don't want to find out when you get there.

Have fun!

We have a double stroller that reclines all the way, so you can use it for a newborn. We will definitely bring a carrier, but I need to be able to put him down for things like lifting DD8 onto a changing table.

Also, I worry that he will be like his oldest brother who hated the carrier. None of my other kids were home as babies, so he's my only experience.

We will plan a ton, but also know that it's easy for plans to go awry. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get details of rides loading and unloading? Things like how many to a seat and whether the ride is stopped at boarding?

We have a double stroller that reclines all the way, so you can use it for a newborn. We will definitely bring a carrier, but I need to be able to put him down for things like lifting DD8 onto a changing table.

Also, I worry that he will be like his oldest brother who hated the carrier. None of my other kids were home as babies, so he's my only experience.

We will plan a ton, but also know that it's easy for plans to go awry. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get details of rides loading and unloading? Things like how many to a seat and whether the ride is stopped at boarding?

Touring Plans has pages for all of the parks with pictures of the ride vehicles and show seating, info on capacity per row, ECV accessibility, and boarding procedures.

MK- http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/0...-vehicles-seating-faq-part-one-magic-kingdom/

Epcot- http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/10/14/guide-walt-disney-world-attraction-vehicles-seating-epcot/

AK- http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/1...tion-vehicles-seating-disneys-animal-kingdom/

HS- http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/1...n-vehicles-seating-disneys-hollywood-studios/

There is also a post on page one of this thread where I posted information regarding whether 1 or 2 wheelchairs could be accommodated and how many could sit near the guest who is staying in their wheelchair.

Peter Pan and the PeopleMover cannot be stopped. The Haunted Mansion and a number of other rides load off of moving walkways that can be stopped.

There is generally not a lot of time for boarding/unboarding.

Things like Spaceship Earth may be somewhat difficult due to how the boarding/unboarding area is situated.

The links provided above are great, but I suggest also watching the attractions on YouTube.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!