DAS and 27 weeks pregnant

Status
Not open for further replies.

disfan4life91

Earning My Ears
Hello All,

I have been doing some research and can not find any definitive answers...which I guess there are no definitive answers as a cast member deems you eligible for a DAS pass. I will be traveling in a few weeks to attend a conference at the Yacht Club and will be bringing my family. I have been to Disney over 35 times, but this time I will be 27 weeks pregnant and just curious if that will qualify me for a DAS pass? My youngest has a scenory processing disorder which will likely qualify her for one as well. I just don't want to start out as I am 27 weeks pregnant get denied and then them assume my daughter does not have a legitimate need as well.

Your daughter would probably qualify for a DAS. It really is up to the cast member on duty however. Is yours a mobility issue? If so, you can either get a wheelchair or ECV. Mobility issues don't qualify for DAS. Because it can be solved with either a wheelchair or ECV.

Your needs are stamina related can be met by a wheelchair or scooter, so you will most likely not get a DAS. Depending on why your daughter can’t stand in line (not her diagnoses, but what happens if she waits in lines), she may qualify.

I am curious why being pregnant would be a disability.

I am not saying pregnancy overall is a disability. My understanding is DAS is based on your ability to wait in a long line.I will be in my 3rd trimester so standing in an hour long line in the heat can be difficult. If I was less far along it would not even be a concern.

Pregnancy doesn't get you DAS. What issues are you having that prevent you from being in a line? Should you postpone the trip if you are having complications?
I have no pregnancy related issues..I would not be going at all if I was not attending this conference. I had read some other blogs where people further along in their pregnancy 3rd trimester plus were able to get them...thus the basis of my question...because the most recent post I could find was from 2016....but like I said I have a 4 year old who has a scensory processing disorder and gets overwhelmed in crowds/waiting a long time...depending on her mood, so I will just go that route and not even mention the pregnancy though its pretty obvious.

Pregnancy is not a disability of "condition" so unless you have complications being pregnant is qualifying you for nothing.

Your daughter would likely qualify.

IMHO your wording makes it seem as though you would prefer to have a DAS simply due to your pregnancy, not necessarily for your daughter's benefit and if that's the case I encourage you to really think about if you actually need one.

You could just rent a wheelchair/ECV if you feel as though you cannot handle the walking/standing.

Yes, It is probably not worded right as I did not even know these passes existed and happened to read about them by chance in regards to Disneyland Paris pregnancy passes...The question was more out of courisity as there are varying answers I have found. If I don't think I can handle standing in an hour+ long line without having to sit down I won't and just will move on.
In the past with daughter, we have just avoided anything with a long line anything over 20 mins and if we can't get a FP we just didn't ride. So in a way it opens a whole new world as to we can actually wait or make it through the lines with her for rides that we would typically have to miss. For things she wants to do like Frozen etc.

First, DAS is needs based, not diagnosis based, so you'll need to be able to explain why you and/or your daughter can't wait in a line. If it's a stamina issue, which it sounds like for you it is, then you'll most likely be advised to get a wheelchair or ECV. For your daughter, you don't need to explain her diagnosis, you need to explain how her diagnosis affects her while waiting in line and why without a DAS she wouldn't be able to access the attractions.

Second, unless you plan to split up your group and ride different rides at the same time, having two DAS isn't even necessary, as the DAS is good for the holder and five other guests.

Hello All,

I have been doing some research and can not find any definitive answers...which I guess there are no definitive answers as a cast member deems you eligible for a DAS pass. I will be traveling in a few weeks to attend a conference at the Yacht Club and will be bringing my family. I have been to Disney over 35 times, but this time I will be 27 weeks pregnant and just curious if that will qualify me for a DAS pass? My youngest has a scenory processing disorder which will likely qualify her for one as well. I just don't want to start out as I am 27 weeks pregnant get denied and then them assume my daughter does not have a legitimate need as well.
You more then likly will not get one but will be told to get a wheelchair or ECV. the CM will ask you what are your concerns in line think of what will make the lines hard for you. things like I can not walk stand be in the sun too long will not get a DAS. I hope this helps

I had read some other blogs where people further along in their pregnancy 3rd trimester plus were able to get them.
I did not even know these passes existed and happened to read about them by chance in regards to Disneyland Paris pregnancy passes.

The U.S. parks do not handle disabilities the same way as Paris. Laws in France dictate how things are done there; the ADA is the law regarding access for disabled in the U.S. There is no such thing as a “pregnancy pass” here. The DAS is for needs that cannot be accommodated in other ways - such as by using a wheelchair/ECV or “stroller-as-wheelchair” tag. That might help you DD to give her a safe haven away from stimuli. Most if not all pregnancy-related concerns that I can think of would not be accommodated by a DAS.

There is more about DAS at WDW in the thread pinned near the top of this forum.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Enjoy your vacation!

pregnancy is not a disability. being pregnant in no way qualifies for a DAS. why would you think it would? as for your child, you need to explain why they cannot wait in a standard line environment.

In some cases, it certainly could be considered a disability. The OP was simply asking the question...

I am not saying pregnancy overall is a disability. My understanding is DAS is based on your ability to wait in a long line.I will be in my 3rd trimester so standing in an hour long line in the heat can be difficult. If I was less far along it would not even be a concern.

If standing an hour in the heat is too much for you, then you need to rethink your trip - there's so much more exposure to the heat (and so much walking!) outside of a queue than in one. Also, most of the queues at WDW are under cover, indoors, AC blasting, etc.

I have no pregnancy related issues..I would not be going at all if I was not attending this conference. I had read some other blogs where people further along in their pregnancy 3rd trimester plus were able to get them...thus the basis of my question...because the most recent post I could find was from 2016....but like I said I have a 4 year old who has a scensory processing disorder and gets overwhelmed in crowds/waiting a long time...depending on her mood, so I will just go that route and not even mention the pregnancy though its pretty obvious.

First, don't believe everything you read in those blogs. They are designed to get exposure to the billions of ads on the pages. Second - two DAS are not going to get you twice as many rides - you can only be on one active DAS wait time at a time.

Yes, It is probably not worded right as I did not even know these passes existed and happened to read about them by chance in regards to Disneyland Paris pregnancy passes...The question was more out of courisity as there are varying answers I have found. If I don't think I can handle standing in an hour+ long line without having to sit down I won't and just will move on.
In the past with daughter, we have just avoided anything with a long line anything over 20 mins and if we can't get a FP we just didn't ride. So in a way it opens a whole new world as to we can actually wait or make it through the lines with her for rides that we would typically have to miss. For things she wants to do like Frozen etc.

You've described a mobility issue, so they won't issue you a DAS. (Or at least, they shouldn't)

In some cases, it certainly could be considered a disability. The OP was simply asking the question...

If the pregnancy was in the 'I"m disabled by this pregnancy" column, then that person should NOT be going to WDW, IMO.

I worked all the way up until the day before my first daughter was born - so just being pregnant is not a reason to be given a DAS. I also was hospitalized during my second pregnancy - nope, no way would I do anything to risk the baby I was carrying.

I did Legoland, Disneyland, and SeaWorld all in the summer and after 25 weeks. Was it the smartest idea? Heck no. But we had family in town that wanted to go there and my kids wanted to go with them so I made it work. (I did not have any complaications) Sit when you can, drink more water than you think possible, eat frequently, don’t pass a restroom without using it, and don’t try to go 12 hour park commando. Be reasonable with your expectations of what you can accomplish. If you don’t think you can handle it, go with your instincts and just don’t go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!