Dancing at Disney!

HakunaMoscato

Earning My Ears
I am a dance teacher, and our studio's competition team has been chosen to participate in Disney's Dancin Destinations in October 2019! My studio's director entered our girls and we heard the good news a couple weeks ago. I know they'll perform on a stage at one of the parks, get costumes, and have rehearsals to dance in a parade, and they'll also get park tickets and a hotel package I think, but what else can we expect? Has anyone performed at Disney before? Any hints about doing Disney with a large group of tweens and teens?

Lots of chaperons... and patience...

I would really research, where you will be staying and what's included...

Start sending out letters, and financial responsibilities expectation included..... well in advance.. You will see that alot of these types of groups, the whole family wants to go to see them perform but tickets for the park and such only cover the performers. So all that will need to be addressed.

Setting expectations for the performer, on behavior and and conduct... as well should be discussed...

Fundraising should start right away. Keep in mind that not everyone has the same financial means, so some type of plan needs to be in place for that situation. You don't want anyone left out because of this.

It's a fun time, but it takes alot of planning, and communication. You might want to suggest to the teacher that a parents panel should be put in place, to help out with all the details and help her out. With the teacher running her business, extra help is normally appreciated.

Lots of chaperons... and patience...

I would really research, where you will be staying and what's included...

Start sending out letters, and financial responsibilities expectation included..... well in advance.. You will see that alot of these types of groups, the whole family wants to go to see them perform but tickets for the park and such only cover the performers. So all that will need to be addressed.

Setting expectations for the performer, on behavior and and conduct... as well should be discussed...

Fundraising should start right away. Keep in mind that not everyone has the same financial means, so some type of plan needs to be in place for that situation. You don't want anyone left out because of this.

It's a fun time, but it takes alot of planning, and communication. You might want to suggest to the teacher that a parents panel should be put in place, to help out with all the details and help her out. With the teacher running her business, extra help is normally appreciated.

I know for now that we'll be staying in Pop Century at least. I want to get fundraising started right away but I'm not sure that it's a priority for anyone else at the studio right now :scared1: What do you guys think about having a fundraising committee? We've already cleared it with the parents, and everyone can afford to send their child.

Suggestions about child-to-adult ratio? Traveling the parks in groups? I love the kids but I wouldn't necessarily want to spend every waking minute of the trip with them...

I know for now that we'll be staying in Pop Century at least. I want to get fundraising started right away but I'm not sure that it's a priority for anyone else at the studio right now :scared1: What do you guys think about having a fundraising committee? We've already cleared it with the parents, and everyone can afford to send their child.

Suggestions about child-to-adult ratio? Traveling the parks in groups? I love the kids but I wouldn't necessarily want to spend every waking minute of the trip with them...

I was a room mother, girl scouts mom, dance mom, team mom, church youth chaperone...So I have some experience with this. Everything below here, are from things that I learn along the way, and from circumstances that cropped up , or emergency, or whatever. Hopefully this might help you out a bit.

1st how old are the performers? that will determine how many chaperones you will need. Disney is a big place and lots and lots of people. As well if there are any medical problems or medication that is involved with with any of the performers. So this will need to be taken into consideration. Create a book, with each students, information, including any allergies, med's, or medical conditions. I would more than likely have couple of copies, so that if god forbid something was to happen that information is ready and at your finger tips.

Small groups are best, especially if the kids are younger... really small groups are best, with any age.

Hotel rooms, who sleeps where, and who is the chaperone.... simple... right.... yep well .... Kids are kids and they will fuss among themselves then the next thing you know you have someone not wanting to stay in the room with whoever.... also know what the room limit is... and stick to it.. and make sure the kids stick to it.

Dealing with meals is another issue that will need to be talked about. If there are any meals that you want them to have as a team, this will need to be made mandatory.

Transportation to WDW and home... Flights? or Car? all this will need to be discussed and figured out. Well in advance, and an alternate plan... because life happens.

Transportation to WDW and airport.

If you have families going which more than likely you will, just because one student has mom and dad there does not mean that they want to be a chaperones. All of this needs to be decided in advance, so when you get there you think that there are 10 or 12 chaperones and really only 5 or 6 are there to help out, the other are just there to sit back relax, and then show up to watch the performance and cheer on their child... Not saying either are right or wrong... just putting it out there.

You will need check in point in the parks, not checking in on your phone or with a text... must be a visual check in/ with parents/ teachers must be a adult --- Trust me on this one... we had one young lady who took off with her boyfriend, it was a nightmare, getting them to tell where she was, and who she was with.

I think fundraising is important for all the dancers, sorta if you want it, you need to work for it moments... It also helps with creating a team, outside of the studio.

This is a side note.... You will want to have a parents meeting only, and I would most certainly discuss conduct of the dancers as well as the parents mandatory meeting... Yep we had 2 moms have to many margaritas by the pool while I know that this was not intentionally done, it happened and is was not pretty, and then we were down 2 chaperones for one evening. I'm not saying that the parents should not be allowed to have adult beverage, but caution them on restraint. Unfortunately when the school found out, they were no longer allow to chaperone ever again.

You need to make sure the focus is the performance and the experience that the performers will gain...

Over communicate on everything.. then communicate some more.

Have back up plans, for everything, coming by car, someone gets sick, you will need a alternate driver... Late planes...how will you handle....

I would have some type of sewing kit, as well as extra costume pieces, head bands, jewelry, any little stuff that can get left at home... have costume/shoe check before ever leaving home with all the girls. Giving enough time if someone forgot it, there is time to run back and get it. Having everyone meeting at the school parking lot, and make them show you their costume, as well as the shoes...

Will your team be wearing, matching casual wear, such as T-shirts, shorts, jackets, warm- ups... another thing to discuss...

Over communicate....

WOW, thank you, you've given me a lot to think about! Let's see...

We have two groups of dancers- one group of six kids ages 10-12 and the other group of five kids ages 14-16. I think every kid will have at least one parent there (I'd imagine at least Mom would want to come to watch her daughter dance) but I suppose we should get a head count of who exactly is going from each family. We are booking the rooms independently, though, as it's not a part of the package. Perhaps once we figure out how many rooms we have, maybe we could put in a request to have the rooms clumped together...? Will Disney do that?

I'm thinking we should have set touring groups for our park days, then pick specific times/places to meet to do group things, like eat or see a show. I'm thinking of dividing each age group into two groups, with two chaperones per group. What do you think of mixing up the groups each day, so the kids get to spend time with everyone along the trip? We'll definitely want to rotate chaperones too...

I like the idea of "mandatory" things together!

We are having a few group fundraisers (selling pasta, car washes...) but we are mostly getting sponsors from local businesses. Unfortunately the studio owner isn't big on actually doing the work to raise the money, so many of my ideas have been shot down. She's just planning on asking people for money... I don't agree with it, because like you, I believe the kids should have to work to "earn" the experience, but the owner always has the final say...

We have team wear like matching jackets and pants for the dance days and rehearsals. Will it be better/easier having matching shirts for everyone, every day?

I like the check-in idea. Maybe we should do it on a daily basis (in addition to before we leave) for rehearsals/shows when we're at Disney. Like... everyone meet by the pool in 10 minutes for your check-in to make sure you have everything you need for the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!