Dairy Help

goofytinkerbell

Tinkerbell
Okay, so I find myself with a quart of half and half and a pint of heavy cream (both unopened) that are going to go bad in the next couple of days. I absolutely HATE wasting food and want to use them up.

Here's the kicker - we don't like cream sauces.

Recipe suggestions please?

Freeze them. I use half & half in my tea and to make mashed potatoes, you can use the cream the same way

I wound up making a coconut cream pie with most of the half and half. DH can use the rest in his coffee. Now to use up the heavy cream...

Use it to make butter. If you have a food processor put the cream into it (much faster than doing it by hand) and beat it until a clearish liquid starts coming out. Pour that liquid off (it is buttermilk so you can use it for biscuits or just get rid of it. Then continuing the churning and more buttermilk will come out(I think my husband drains it off about 3 times for the consistency we like.. With my double-bladed food processor it takes about 5-8 minutes to get butter. If you want it salted or flavored then add whatever you want once you have the butter and mix it in by hand or on a very low speed. Since your cream is almost bad I recommend keeping the butter in the freezer and taking out what you will use of it until it is gone or about 1 month if you added salt (a little less without salt).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!