D23 EXPO THREAD - See you in 2019!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just seems to be the theme at every Expo. Sigh... Handling the lines well just isn't something they've learned to do over the years. I remember 2011 when the D23 people came out after we'd been waiting forever to get in "early" (Ha!). The lines weren't moving and the general public was getting in before the gold members. D23 folks started yelling at us to RUN (all of us? really??), but forgot to tell us where to go. So people were running every which way trying to get to the front doors. I was afraid of getting trampled. Thankfully, that scenario never happened again. (Hope whoever started that idea got fired.) Like you said, the best thing to do is to arrive early and do the best you can.

What a nightmare! What day was that? I don't remember that happenening, but maybe I've blocked it out. lol

After three Expos for me (2011, 2013 and 2015) here is what I think about the queues:

1. The queues outside the ACC are handled by workers of the convention center. We will call them "ACC staff". They are not Disney staff. They do not have much experience on how to effectively handle or monitor queues, especially when there are literally tens of thousands of people. As a result, things do not get handled well in some cases.

2. The queues inside the ACC are handled by Disney staff. Disney understands better how to handle large groups of people and that it is important to be clear and fair. They also understand guest service and being friendly and respectful with guests. In my experience these queues have always worked perfectly.

:wizard:

I think it is likely true. I always think to myself "This would not happen if Disney cast members were working out here."

Yep. I never waited in any outside queues last year, and had all great line experiences except one (when they vastly underestimated the number of people who would be waiting for a stage pass for Once Upon a Time ahead of time).

Oh man...that was a mess. There were people everywhere.

Also in 2015, I understand on the Thursday night before the Expo they opened Hall E at 10PM for the Legends ceremony just like this year. But since they cut off the line at 7AM like I posted just now, the process of getting people into the main Expo and then to Hall E was very slow. In the end the Legends ceremony was not even full. You could have just walked right in without a wait.

With Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher being named Legends this year, I suspect Legends will fill up this time.

:wizard:

On Friday morning in 2015, the Hall E holding pen wasn't just for Legends. There were also lines for the Show Floor and as well as the Muppets presentation - I waited for Muppets...I can't remember if it was Gold/Silver separated, but that is a moot point for 2017.

Same thing for Saturday. Of course...who knows how this will really play out this year.

I'm loving all the tips on this thread!
I have just one other question: a friend of mine has been having a rough year, and I was thinking I'd like to take her to D23 if she wants to go. I know the tickets have been mailed out already (finally got mine! Whoo!). So if I get tickets online now, we'd have to pick them up at will-call. Is the line for that as super-insane as the lines to get into the panels and such? I imagine we'd have to get there really early and join the line of people waiting just to get in the building. Or is there a way to pick them up the day before? The thing I worry about is that by the time we'd get her ticket, we'd have missed out getting into any events or shopping for that day. I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of it before I extend the invite.

People everywhere, staff saying that there was no line, people lining up where they thought they would open the line, then them opening the line at a completely different place. Nightmare. So glad I will not be dealing with that this year. Although it probably won't be as crazy.

On Friday morning in 2015, the Hall E holding pen wasn't just for Legends. There were also lines for the Show Floor and as well as the Muppets presentation - I waited for Muppets...I can't remember if it was Gold/Silver separated, but that is a moot point for 2017.

Same thing for Saturday. Of course...who knows how this will really play out this year.

On Saturday morning we waited for the show floor, but we were upstairs on the 3rd floor, not down in Hall E.

I have just one other question: a friend of mine has been having a rough year, and I was thinking I'd like to take her to D23 if she wants to go. I know the tickets have been mailed out already (finally got mine! Whoo!). So if I get tickets online now, we'd have to pick them up at will-call. Is the line for that as super-insane as the lines to get into the panels and such? I imagine we'd have to get there really early and join the line of people waiting just to get in the building. Or is there a way to pick them up the day before? The thing I worry about is that by the time we'd get her ticket, we'd have missed out getting into any events or shopping for that day. I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of it before I extend the invite.

Definitely pick them up the day before. Will call will be open on Thursday until 8 I believe.

@ashley0139 I could be not remembering it correctly, it was a haze of "really, we could still get into Live Action?!" at that point. Or they may have moved the other lines once they realized the overflow for standby would be starting earlier than the day before.

@ashley0139 I could be not remembering it correctly, it was a haze of "really, we could still get into Live Action?!" at that point. Or they may have moved the other lines once they realized the overflow for standby would be starting earlier than the day before.

I was watching the Youtuber that everyone on here recommended earlier, and I saw the show floor line in Hall E in that video, so maybe they moved it between Friday and Saturday?

One thing I wondered about on Sunday, when they did not allow overnight queues, was verified to me by another guest. On Sunday, I arrived "late", about 8:30 am. I was in the outside line, in the brutal sun. They allowed people in Hall E that were there for the Disney Interactive panel, at some point. This other guest confirmed to me that he went into that line, and when the floor opened, he left and went to the floor, skipped the line outside, as he was already scanned in. He did not want to return. Not sure what would happen this year. They may have the Menken line queue down there. I do not really mind the outside line on Sundays, just was very uncomfortable in the heat/sun.

Yes, 3 lines or so in Hall E most mornings.

People everywhere, staff saying that there was no line, people lining up where they thought they would open the line, then them opening the line at a completely different place. Nightmare. So glad I will not be dealing with that this year. Although it probably won't be as crazy.

Yes. I had almost forgotten about that (see...I block it out...). I'm not looking forward to Stagepass lines again.

One thing I wondered about on Sunday, when they did not allow overnight queues, was verified to me by another guest. On Sunday, I arrived "late", about 8:30 am. I was in the outside line, in the brutal sun. They allowed people in Hall E that were there for the Disney Interactive panel, at some point. This other guest confirmed to me that he went into that line, and when the floor opened, he left and went to the floor, skipped the line outside, as he was already scanned in. He did not want to return. Not sure what would happen this year. They may have the Menken line queue down there. I do not really mind the outside line on Sundays, just was very uncomfortable in the heat/sun.

Yes, 3 lines or so in Hall E most mornings.

The heat on Sunday was brutal. I hope it's not that bad this year!

Definitely pick them up the day before. Will call will be open on Thursday until 8 I believe.

The convention center is open on Thursday to pick up any will-call tickets. I definitely recommend picking them up that day as if you wait the morning of any other day you will likely face a long wait. I did that last time as I figured trying to get to will-call on opening day would be madness and going on Thursday was quick & painless. You also get a glimpse at the calm before the storm as there are still preparations going on.

Yes. I had almost forgotten about that (see...I block it out...). I'm not looking forward to Stagepass lines again.

The heat on Sunday was brutal. I hope it's not that bad this year!

It's not looking good for the heat. My sis lives outside of San Diego and they've already had a 104 degree day.............

Weather has not been pretty lately. It was 104 today where I live, which isn't too far from Anaheim. I'm expecting it to be hot. Current extended weather shows temps in the 90s.

So, I thought of another question for all of you seasoned vets. I'm having trouble with my plans. On Friday, my husband is coming to join me and taking the train (I'm getting there Thursday because I wanted some solo time in the parks before the big event). The problem is that I am going to have to leave to pick him up. What are the chances of us getting back in to the expo after 1PM without a super long line for entry? I don't feel the need to necessarily see any panels on Friday, but it would be nice to do some exploring.

Weather has not been pretty lately. It was 104 today where I live, which isn't too far from Anaheim. I'm expecting it to be hot. Current extended weather shows temps in the 90s.

So, I thought of another question for all of you seasoned vets. I'm having trouble with my plans. On Friday, my husband is coming to join me and taking the train (I'm getting there Thursday because I wanted some solo time in the parks before the big event). The problem is that I am going to have to leave to pick him up. What are the chances of us getting back in to the expo after 1PM without a super long line for entry? I don't feel the need to necessarily see any panels on Friday, but it would be nice to do some exploring.

I think at 1pm you won't have a hard time getting back in. Of course, with new security this year no one really knows anything.

I think at 1pm you won't have a hard time getting back in. Of course, with new security this year no one really knows anything.

Agreed, security is going to be the biggest variable this year in regards to how efficient they are and to what extent they'll be scanning everyone. If it's a simple bag check then it shouldn't be much of an issue, but if they are requiring everyone to walk through metal detectors(most likely) it will unfortunately take a while if they're not adequately prepared/staffed for the amount of people that will be coming.

What a nightmare! What day was that? I don't remember that happenening, but maybe I've blocked it out. lol

I think it is likely true. I always think to myself "This would not happen if Disney cast members were working out here."

It was the Friday, so first day chaos! And while it was the ACC employees that started the mess, it was the D23 CMs (name tags and ear pieces) that were yelling (!) at everyone to RUN! That is definitely one of my most vivid Expo memories ever! And that was the year that Bob Iger took some D23 management people to the woodshed. We saw some of them afterward, and they did not look good.
But after that, things could only go up and they did. We had a lot of fun that year. :)

I read that they do not allow outside food/drinks, but is it strictly enforced? I planned on bringing our refillable water filter bottles and some granola bars/snacks because we're bringing our 3 kids, but I don't want to waste money and have them make us toss the stuff in the security check. Anyone else bring stuff in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter