Cutting board

disneyred

DIS Veteran
I am reaching out to all the cooks and anyone that knows.. I hope its not too much of a strange question. I have been going through and trying out different cutting boards,, but would LOVE to know what is the best kind to buy , what material is best ? of course , I am using it to cut meat, veggies etc..I would love to hear your opinions.
over the years I have tried so many but would love to know what material cutting board is best..

I know it's been like two months, but I just get a multipack of plastic or resin ones.

I had a nice one, but my cat got up and peed on it after I chopped green onions one day.

I figure I can dispose of them periodically and replace them as they get cut up or stained over time... And I bleach them regularly as well.

Almost 2 decades back (time flies when yer having fun;)), I bought a trio pack of textured plastic 1/2" thick cutting boards from IKEA. Lovely to cut on or place edge to edge for rolling doughs. Probably paid about $10.00-15.00 for the set.
I also have a mini bamboo cutting board that I use predominately when I camp although it's fine as a serving platter at home when I'm making a charcuterie plate for 1 or 2.
The bamboo versions tend to crack or break in half after a relatively short time but since I only paid a dollar or two for them that's fine by me although I prefer kitchen utensils to last longer.

I replace the IKEA boards about every 2 years because I cook from scratch quite a bit.
I save my Boos butcher block cutting board for table presentations and rarely cut anything on it.

I regularly rinse my cutting boards in a vinegar and water solution, and about once every 2 months soak them in bleach water. To avoid cross-contamination I mark each plastic board with a permanent marker that says either "MEAT" or "VEGGIES". Since I do a bit of home butchering and bulk cooking, I've 2 marked for meat and 2 marked for vegetables which also get used for doughs.

I don't spend "big money" on cutting boards in general. Seems like a marketing ploy to me.

Plastic for meat, bamboo for everything else... Never use glass as it ruins your knife's edge.

I like the plastic cutting boards since you can put them in the dishwasher. Wood can't go in the dishwasher as it ruins the glue, damages the wood and they fall apart. Also have a few of those thin plastic mats and they also work well and easy to clean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!