• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cuts at WDW unfair target DVC members

TiggerFreak

Never goes gankin on the Internizzle
After waiting 11 months for our upcoming trip to WDW, we find that many of the events we where planning to see are canceled during the week. Spectro is only on Saturday. TOD is only on Saturday. COP closed. Time Keeper closed. Like many others, we try to avoid weekends because of the crowds and high point cost, it seems that much of the event cutting is during the week.

We DVCer's cumulitively spend many days during the week at WDW and should expect to recieve the same ammenities and attractions as those who only go on the weekend. Not to mention having these cuts happen so close to our travel dates, leaving us without the ability to change our plans because of point use restrictions, not to mention airfare :mad:

These cuts seem to target those of us in DVC over the weekend warriors. I will be calling my sales guide to pass on my newly aquired reluctance to purchase that add-on I have been contemplating. :mad: as a wet cat

I am going to talk it over with family, we have many PS for diner, I may cancel these in protest. Why should I help Pressler make his numbers at my long planned vacations expense. I need to stop, the more I type the angrier I get:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Don't take it personally. DVC has not been targeted. It is true that the weekends are what's keeping WDW alive right now as folks who can drive come and spend the weekends. At "low times" the weekends have always been when they hold fireworks and special shows. Heck, pre-25th Anniversary there were times of the year when there were no fireworks except for Illuminations.

I'm afraid your outrage should be directed more toward Osama Bin Laden than towards Mr. Pressler. As a side note, it was your choice not to stay the weekend. DVC didn't force this decision on you. However, I agree that up until recently you usually could get fireworks during the week and I understand your disappointment that your plans have been changed.

relax and don't take it so personal.we are traveling in 3 weeks and we never have a chance to do everything anyway. I really believe that all the cuts are only temporary. I 'm kinda looking forward to relaxing more and not doing the hustle bustle of all the parks all the time. I love being a dvc member and always having something to look forward to!!!!

I agree with the previous posting. Take it easy and relax. I along with everyone else wish that the events on September 11th, 2001 had not taken place. Disney is reacting as a sound business should. They are actually saving DVCer's money by controlling costs. Things will return to normal with time and life will go on. Yes I don't enjoy losing perks and programs that I have grown so acustom too but in the end we all win.

Lyndon1

DCVer since Oct 2001

How are the cutbacks at the parks saving DVC'er money? We've already purchased our ownership interest in the resort, which they're going to get no matter what. We're paying our maintenance fees no matter what. So how does reducing the Tarzan show, closing the Flame Tree restraunt, cutting back park operating hours show save the DVC any dollars since they are a totally different corporation then Walt Disney attractions? People not staying at a DVC resort WOULD save us money since they could cut back on staff for the resort (if nobody's staying in the room they don't need to clean it). I can understand the need to make changes but Disney is making some major changes and they should allow DVC'ers to also make last minute changes without penalty as they have done to us by making these changes.

I find that two of toughest chages to take as a DVCer is the loss of early entry (why stay on site?) and the changes in AP perks as reported on the rumors board.

I do agrre that it's business, not personal.

We just came back on the 13th. The parades have been held every day; the shows go on, just fewer each day; and depending on the crowds they will add fireworks and spectro magic parade on a Friday (unannounced, until you get to the park) They did this on Friday the 12th and we didn't know about it until we got to the park @ closing to get a couple of last minute gifts. It is best to check with Guest Services at your resort on a daily basis. We actually found this weeks vacation very relaxing, no commando touring needed. Disney will turn around if tourism increases. Clear the head, take a deep breath, relax, and make up your mind that you intend to have a great vacation in despite of bin laden. We did a lot of extra things with the grandkids that we don't usually do and had a grand time.

hi: we, too, have been there during reduced hours during "slow" times. i remember like pamokw when illuminations was the only firework show we ever got to see. i've also been there during "slow" times when they extended hours due to unexpected crowds.

I agree with PamOKW andwdwnut- this isn't the first slow period in the history of WDW. The situation was not created by Disney, DVC or the members of this forum.
Disney like any company must take action to contain costs when the attendence is down.
We hope the economy will start to rebound next year and the present problems will be behind us.

If none of us go, the cut backs will get worse. Be a part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

I think one thing we can agree on is that DVC'ers are generally planners (that is the type of person, as we know, for whom DVC works the best). The kinds of cuts that are taking place right now drive planners, like me :D , crazy because of the uncertainty and numerous changes they necessitate in one's trip plans. So, at least in this way, the cuts indeed do have a greater effect on DVC'ers :) .

I agree with PamOKW. I have been to OKW many times in September and January. During these months, normally there is no Spectro Magic or fireworks during the week. This has never bothered us or have we felt cheated. We just make sure we are there over a weekend to see the fireworks. I think Disney is doing a terrific job right now faced with the same decreases in tourism as every one else, if not more. I think they know what they are doing and have carefully reviewed what they can and can't cut and reduce. I would rather have them do this than have them wait and get into such a bind that they have to close a park. Sept. 11 has effected everyone. People are losing their jobs, etc. I'm thankful that we're in a position to still be able to take a vacation (5 weeks and counting!). Let's all hope for better times around the corner and remember we are blessed and fortunate to be able to be taking a vacation with our families. There are families out there who aren't so fortunate and have lost family members.

Once again PamOKW has the scoop. We have seen this in the past visits and adjusted our schedule so we can see "it all". We stay at a lower priced hotel off property (and sometimes on property if we get a good deal) on Fri. & Sat. and just go to those special events at the parks. We spend the rest of the time hitting the stores and other places that are not as crowded. The points are to hight on the weekends, and to get the max out of our points we have found this alternative. We recently got a great deal at Courtyard Marriott near DD for those nights and it includes a breakfast each day.

No matter how you look at it, because we have to make plans far in advance, when they make cuts, we suffer, because unlike cash customers we don't have the flexability of changing at a moments notice, on the contrary, we are penalized.

Even if I wanted to add on to my ressie, this close to travel dates I probably couldn't. If I had paid cash I could have rescheduled with little or no penalty.

I will still go and will still enjoy the trip but I am disappointed that the empahsis is put on keeping the weekend (2 days) crowd happy, leaving those that $pend weekdays (5days) feeling left out. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but should I not expect the same value for my money. Oh, wait I get it, those extra points we pay for weekends are to cover the cost of our share of all that extra weekend entertainment. There, now I feel so much better now that I understand.

I am begining to see the light many others shine on the current management of the parks.

Living here in NJ so close to the tragic events of September 11th, and now the anthrax thing,the post office where the letters were processed is a mile from my home, I can't let little things bother me. Looking in the obituary column of the local paper and seeing the notices for those lost, puts a whole different view on life. At least I can still go on vacation.
Also, once again, as far as the weekend points go, it is to keep the locals from taking all the weekends. If the points were evened out, there would be much complaining also. Jerry.

To be very honest, I never would have known they did things on weeknights like fireworks or Spectromagic. We have always gone the week after Presidents Week in Feb and none of this has been offered to us during the week. If we were in MK on Fri or Sat, cool. If not, oh well.

We were there the first week of Oct. No crowds during the week, great for us. Crowds started on Friday of the long weekend. No problem, the parks we so empty we didn't venture into them. If you are a DVC member you are probably a repeat visitor. We feel no need to go commando as I think most repeat visitors feel. Do I think we are targeted, absolutely not!!! DVC has lived up to all expectations.

We hope that this Dec the Xmas spirit will still be present and help us all to forget recent events. WDW is very dependant on people who stay at the resorts. Current estimates are for only 20% of the rooms being used. DVC maybe the only resorts that have anyone staying in them. :smooth: :D :smooth: :tongue:

Even if I was to agree that as a DVC member your getting the short end of the stick. To say you've been "targeted" is a little over the top- dont you think? Maybe you're an innocent bystander but i doubt they were sitting around and said- "Gee lets mess with those silly DVC members- what a great excuse this attack on our way of life give us to ruin them!"

I think sumessefui is right on- i'm not so sure people outside of the affected areas are putting things in perspective...

Back to your assumption that all DVC members bail on the weekends- Obviously many people stay the weekends otherwise they would have needed to re-balance the points a long time ago or there would be a huge pile of unused weekend points every year.

Rather than complain- why not call MS- explain in a rational manner your disappoinment and ask if you could be given the oppurtunity to rework your plans. Granted they might not be able to do anything- but dont you think its worth it to find out your options?

We just returend yesterday from 1 week on the Magic and 3 days at OKW.
At first we were disappointed about no EE. But when we got to the MK on Monday, it was empty. There was no need for EE. All the parks were empty on Monday. The weekend was busy at EPCOT because the food and wine festival started on Saturday, but it was pretty empty on Monday too.
We did not miss anything being closed. Maybe because we were so exhausted from our cruise. We had a great time both places and are looking forward to our January trip.

All I can say, is that I have been looking forward to this trip for 11 months. With recent events the need for some stress relief is even greater. I know I should be thankful that our family did not lose anyone close to us, we all lost those 6000+ souls that day. Also, I recognize the fact that many are now not going and may never go to WDW. I'm just disappointed that the one place in the world that I count on to be not of this crazy, inhumane, uncaring world, also has to deal with reality. I did not visit WDW until I was almost 40, and found that in visiting WDW I could revisit some of the lost innocence of my childhood. This was, and I hope still will be, a large part of the Magic of WDW for all of us.

Now, I need to pack.
The support and comments are appreciated.
I promise on my EARS to enjoy the World.

Mikek, maybe "Collateral Damage" fits better. I guess target was a little strong. I don't know if I agree with the weekend analysis, could DVC/WDW/DVD have used the DVC point structure to try and balance attendance/occupancy? Maybe I'm just shootin in the dark on that. I'll start another thread on this. Curious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter