Curse those noisy, awful, nonstop ...

Yarbogash

DIS Veteran
basketball players!!!

Thought I had planned and prepared for everything but not that. Was at the Fort last week, had a site in the 1400 loop. This loop was not my requested first choice but we actually loved the location. Being able to easily go back and forth from the pool, campfire sing along and activity hut was great. And like most sites in that loop we had a lot of shade.

But big negative was we were right beside a basketball hoop and all day and well into the night, whether you were outside or inside the camper, you could hear it; bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, clang, and repeat, over and over.

The players came and went but there was one kid who was out there for hours and hours by himself, usually till 10 or 11 at night. I felt bad for him as he seemed to have nothing better to do. I saw his mom check on him and she had the same concerns.

I imagine there’s no time limit on using the courts. Not sure if you can even request to be away from any hoops. Anyone else had this problem? Maybe it was a one off as most of the other basketball hoops were persistently not in use whenever we went by.

basketball players!!!

Thought I had planned and prepared for everything but not that. Was at the Fort last week, had a site in the 1400 loop. This loop was not my requested first choice but we actually loved the location. Being able to easily go back and forth from the pool, campfire sing along and activity hut was great. And like most sites in that loop we had a lot of shade.

But big negative was we were right beside a basketball hoop and all day and well into the night, whether you were outside or inside the camper, you could hear it; bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, clang, and repeat, over and over.

The players came and went but there was one kid who was out there for hours and hours by himself, usually till 10 or 11 at night. I felt bad for him as he seemed to have nothing better to do. I saw his mom check on him and she had the same concerns.

I imagine there’s no time limit on using the courts. Not sure if you can even request to be away from any hoops. Anyone else had this problem? Maybe it was a one off as most of the other basketball hoops were persistently not in use whenever we went by.

I've been on 1400 twice, certainly not my first choice either. Few years back we had the site right across from the basketball, I remember the bouncing, but wasn't as much as what you are describing. Figure it will vary from place to place, but I can see where it would be annoying.

I've been thru this as well over in the 100 loop...lot's of pounding and the backboard is loose so a terrible clang each time the ball hit the backboard. Wish they'd move it away from the sites to a more "neutral" location.

I had this happen to me in 100 loop back in January 2018.

My site number was 101. Right behind my site was the basketball rim across the street from the 100/200 Comfort Station.

There were some kids shooting hoops at a ridiculous hour of the night (I don't recall exactly when) and I went out and asked them to stop which they did.

I felt bad for him as he seemed to have nothing better to do. I saw his mom check on him and she had the same concerns.

For our OP, I would hope during this Lenten Season that I would have the heart to go out and shoot with him. If the guys above had insisted to continue playing, I would have "checked myself in" or at least stood on the side and commentated in a loud, OBJECTIVE voice. They would to have had either include me, ignore me (ramp it UP), or go "home".

But if someone is out there all by themself shootin' hoops in the dark of night, it means he either has no one else to shoot with or he doesn't want to go back to the site (for whatever reason). Or <fill in the blank>.

Bottom line for OP:
- he didn't want to go back to the campsite
- he didn't have anyone else to shoot with because he loves it
- we'll see him in the Final Four in a few years
- Mom didn't have a better solution apparently (per your description)

Just sayin' there are other explanations.

Bama ED

PS - and hey, I'm a TURR'ble basketball player. But I can rebound ok because my rear end clears out. And I have the vertical leap of somebody with a weight belt on. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105812/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1 Having three kids in their 20s now helps me know there may be more to the issue....

Just sayin'.

It's a fantastic site, Sjm9911.

And the whole point about being a camper instead of being trapped in a resort hotel room is that most people (and kids) are pretty cool.

Dwell on the positive. Being in site 101 is like being the Gatekeeper to 100 loop.

Plus, it may improve your jump shot (got any eligibility left?). :banana:

Bama Ed

Lol, i can probably still play ed. Im kinda tall though, so most will not play against me8-) i was kidding, i would kill for a full hook up site. But my reality is usally if i dont have bad luck i would have no luck at all, see im looking on the bright side:D

PS - and hey, I'm a TURR'ble basketball player.

giphy.gif

I can understand wanting some quiet time at the campsite and I suppose there should be a way to limit or possibly restrict play on the courts after a certain hour. It is nice though seeing kids play things like basketball rather than have their faces glued to a phone.

I forgot to ask the OP if you asked him to stop because it was so late. There's no mention of that in post #1.

Bama Ed

I forgot to ask the OP if you asked him to stop because it was so late. There's no mention of that in post #1.

Bama Ed

I asked two kids and an adult who were playing past 11 (our kids bedtime, we were on west coast time) and after a bit they stopped. The one kid never played past 11, he may have heard us discussing it at our camp.

And yeah, I did the same figuring as above. I imagine you don’t spend day and night at Disney shooting baskets alone unless you have issues or are really dedicated to the sport.

Getting ready for our first trip to the Fort, and I'd picked out 1400 as a loop that meets a lot of what our family is looking for. Our 10yo would LOVE to be near the basketball court, but I can't find it on the map near that loop. Where is the court located? (BTW- I promise we'll bring him in before it gets dark.)

Getting ready for our first trip to the Fort, and I'd picked out 1400 as a loop that meets a lot of what our family is looking for. Our 10yo would LOVE to be near the basketball court, but I can't find it on the map near that loop. Where is the court located? (BTW- I promise we'll bring him in before it gets dark.)
As you enter the loop on the left is my recollection.

This would be a perfect spot for my mother, she removes her hearing aides at night and hears NOTHING!

Reminds me of an episode of 'Reba' where both she and her son-in-law are real estate agents. They get into a contest to sell an impossible house that is directly next to & under the flight path of the airport. One of them brings a deaf buyer...done!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter