current fishing status

KyGirl

Mouseketeer
What's the current status on fishing at the Fort? Can you fish from in the canals (and would you want to?) or only the designated pond that I think is near the campfire area?

Last January we did a guided fishing excursion and it was awesome but we're not planning to splurge on that this year. We are actually bringing our camper for the first time in a few days (if we can get it there with all the snow around here...) and my DH wants to bring some of his fishing stuff for him and DD and maybe just casually take her once or twice during the week. We have a preferred site booked with a request for loop 100 so close to that would be ideal but not a requirement.

I wasn't sure what was the best way for him to make that happen.

Thanks for any info!

Jan 2017 you could fish on the canals and the dock at The Meadow. Some of the canals have been fenced, some have not. I would definitely bring your gear. Bring hot dogs for bait.

My husband fished the canal behind the 1800 loop this past Nov and Dec trips. Caught bass, perch and a big catfish. Never went to the Meadow's pond, but we did see where some bass were being caught there by other campers.

in the past you could fish anywhere at the Fort but since the fencing went up a few years ago there are now only 3 places that the Fort allows you to fish.
In the pond between the bike barn and the Meadows Trading post and only from the dock behind the MTP
In the canal behind the 300 loop between the spillway to Bay Lake and the end of the canal towards the front of the 300 loop
At Creekside Meadows in the small canal behind the gravel parking lot and the parking lot beside Creekside Meadows (group camping area beside the 2000 loop)
These are the only 3 designated areas that we are allowed to fish and you must always stay behind the mesh fencing.
Hope this helps and have a great time

Last edited:

Thanks for asking this and for all the answers! I would be needing to ask this for a spring trip too. DH is an avid fisherman. We have done the guided tours in the past, but don't think we have extra time this year for that. But if DH can get in 45 minutes in the morning while the rest of us are getting showered/dressed he's happy!

But if DH can get in 45 minutes in the morning while the rest of us are getting showered/dressed he's happy!

This sounds like us except the rest of us are still asleep instead of getting showered and dressed. :snail: Hubby and our youngest grandson (5) would go fishing every morning while the rest of us slept in, when we were at the Fort for two weeks at Halloween. Myself, DS, and other DGS are not morning people so it worked out perfect.

They always went to the Meadows pond, but we had our own fishing gear.

this is my husband!!! Disney is the ONLY non fishing vacation I can get him on ( but he loves WDW and would go every year if we could) being able to throw a spinner bait or pop R for an hour is good for his soul!! Especially since you aren't fishing in Ohio yet come February. So glad they haven't stopped letting people fish

in the past you could fish anywhere at the Fort but since the fencing went up a few years ago there are now only 3 places that the Fort allows you to fish.
In the pond between the bike barn and the Meadows Trading post and only from the dock behind the MTP
In the canal behind the 300 loop between the spillway to Bay Lake and the end of the canal towards the front of the 300 loop
At Creekside Meadows in the small canal behind the gravel parking lot and the parking lot beside Creekside Meadows (group camping area beside the 2000 loop)
These are the only 3 designated areas that we are allowed to fish and you must always stay behind the mesh fencing.
Hope this helps and have a great time
Is this still current information? Can you still rent poles and bait at the Bike Barn?

@KyGirl was your hubby able to get any fishing in?! Last time we went my hubs did a guided tour but it was kinda expensive so I’d be interested in hearing experiences of renting rods and casting around at MTP or other areas.

Not as much as he wanted! We always plan to spend all this time "relaxing" while we're at Disney and somehow that never happens. But he and my dad did get to take my daughter fishing one evening at the Meadows Trading Post pond.

DH did say it was a little confusing to find the spot that you were actually supposed to be able to fish because there were lots of no fishing signs posted but a cast member was able to point them in the right direction, which I think may have been out on a dock of some sort. I was at the camper cooking dinner though so I don't know if it was actually confusing or if he just wasn't reading signs and didn't know what to do without his cruise director (me) leading the way.

Anyway, they had some luck! Even though it was a cool afternoon they caught a few decent fish. I have some great pics of my daughter holding hers up. it happened to be the afternoon of the day she did the BBB and, even though she had changed out of her dress, she still had her hairdo and make up and was the fishing princess!

As far as renting rods and equipment I can't help because we had taken our own. I do know that you didn't have to have a license. And that the fish were biting on cheap hot dogs that day. That was a tip I got here on this board. My DH (a pretty serious fisherman) was appalled but it worked!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we didn't get to go on our trip. Had to cancel because I ended up having hernia surgery. Ugh. So now we are looking to go in the fall. Keeping my fingers crossed! Papa is now in the throes of fishing here at home. Trout fishing time here in the Northeast!

Not as much as he wanted! We always plan to spend all this time "relaxing" while we're at Disney and somehow that never happens. But he and my dad did get to take my daughter fishing one evening at the Meadows Trading Post pond.

DH did say it was a little confusing to find the spot that you were actually supposed to be able to fish because there were lots of no fishing signs posted but a cast member was able to point them in the right direction, which I think may have been out on a dock of some sort. I was at the camper cooking dinner though so I don't know if it was actually confusing or if he just wasn't reading signs and didn't know what to do without his cruise director (me) leading the way.

Anyway, they had some luck! Even though it was a cool afternoon they caught a few decent fish. I have some great pics of my daughter holding hers up. it happened to be the afternoon of the day she did the BBB and, even though she had changed out of her dress, she still had her hairdo and make up and was the fishing princess!

As far as renting rods and equipment I can't help because we had taken our own. I do know that you didn't have to have a license. And that the fish were biting on cheap hot dogs that day. That was a tip I got here on this board. My DH (a pretty serious fisherman) was appalled but it worked!
Thanks for the update! We are hoping for some down time to go fishing, our kids are early risers so I do not have much touring planned for evenings so hopefully DH can go. I know FW has rod rentals I’ll have to figure out the time they do so. Thanks for the tips!

Unfortunately, we didn't get to go on our trip. Had to cancel because I ended up having hernia surgery. Ugh. So now we are looking to go in the fall. Keeping my fingers crossed! Papa is now in the throes of fishing here at home. Trout fishing time here in the Northeast!
Yikes no fun cancelling but at least fall is a wonderful time to go! We’re in New England and my husband is also deep into fishing right now! (striped bass)

Thanks for the update! We are hoping for some down time to go fishing, our kids are early risers so I do not have much touring planned for evenings so hopefully DH can go. I know FW has rod rentals I’ll have to figure out the time they do so. Thanks for the tips!
https://www.disboards.com/threads/fort-wilderness-resort-information-a-work-in-progress.3502095/ 2nd post on this thread shows rentals open from 9am to 5pm. If you are staying there I am guessing you can check them out for more than one day at a time to have for early mornings and evenings.

What's the current status on fishing at the Fort? Can you fish from in the canals (and would you want to?) or only the designated pond that I think is near the campfire area?

1) With the exception of swimming pools and "comfort stations", if there is water, you can fish.
2) Since this is private property, no license is required.
3) Just bring your gear, and drop-A-line.
4) Remember, ALL fishing is catch-and-release . . . for health reasons, you would not want to eat the fish that come from WDW waterways.

for health reasons, you would not want to eat the fish that come from WDW waterways.

Wouldn't want to eat the pizza either.

The new rope fence barriers have made it difficult to fish the canal behind 300 loop as well as the edge of the lake across from the old cabin in the woods. It's still doable though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!