• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Curios About Dvc-is It For Me?

harry the spider

Mouseketeer
I HAVE BEEN READING UP ON DVC AND AM WONDERING WHAT IS INVOLVED.
FOR EXAMPLE, HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO BUY INTO A 2 BED HOME?
HOW MUCH A YEAR ON TOP WILL I BE LOOKING AT?
I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START OR IF I CAN TRUELY AFFORD IT
ANY HELP OR ADVICE WOULD BE SO MUCH APPRECIATED
LIN

We're going through he same thing right now. the best place to start is the FAQ followed by lots of reading on the DVC Discussion board.

For us it boils down to a simple numbers game - do we want to spend money now that will in the long run will save us money.

Happy to help answer any specific questions.

Just remember that you are buying rental points and not a specific unit or size accommodation. The flexibility of DVC is what drew us in. We have been very happy with our purchase back in 1997.

Let me see if I have this right.
As i see it ,I buy a certain amount of points, say 200?
this will cost me, say $1000. Is this an annual payment?
Lin

We brought 150 pts just over two year's ago the points last us 42 years from purchase, the cost was around £10,000 I think. Each year we pay annual dues which this year was $600.00

Does that make sense, I alway's get confused when explaining DVC:D

Kaylee

It really depends when you want to go and what type of accomodation you want.

We brought 150 beacause to be honest with you that's all we could afford. I would love more :D

What we tend to do is stay in a Studio and travel in October/November which suits us. For example 14 nights in a Studio in October at Boardwalk Villa's is 212 points. So we bank and borrow our points accordingly, next year we are not having a trip so we will be banking those point's.

HTH

Kaylee

I see where you are coming from.
Thanks for taking the time out to explain to me.
It must be my age but things take a while to sink in these days!!!!!!!!!!!
Lin

How many days a year does 150 points get you?

That totally depends on what time of year you go, which resort you want to stay at and what size unit you want? 160 points would get you two weeks in a studio every year at OKW (the resort which requires the least points) during the low season - September, first half of Dec and January.

How many people will be staying together? A studio sleeps up to 4 in two queen beds, but doesn't have a full kitchen, just a microwave, fridge and small sink. A 1 bedroom also sleeps up to 4 but as a living room with a pull out sofa and a bedroom with a king size bed. It also gives you full kitchen facilities and a spa bath! Obviously these cost more points - 320 for same place and time as before. A 2 bedroom for up to 8 people is like the studio and 1 bed combined and that would use 436 points for the two weeks. You can of course stay for just a week or any number of nights. Rooms cost more points for Friday and Saturday nights - usually about double.

The Boardwalk (except for a small number of standard view rooms), Beach Club and Wilderness lodge villas all require more points per unit per night. Per week a studio would be 104, a 1 Bedroom 200 and a 2 bedroom 270 points for a week during the low season.

Hope all this waffle helps! :D

Lin the best thing you can do is order the DVC sales video from member services ( specify you need one formatted for the UK, I know you have UK on your address, but they don't always think that far ahead :rolleyes: . Next step is to ask a few more questions here, then take the DVC tour on your next trip when you'll have a decent grasp on the concept and can ask questions to the sales staff.

I had my first chat with the sales rep from DVC last night, Linda Streetman (thanks for the tip Hilary). She was very helpful and gave me the full idiots guide to how it all works, she called me so no expensive phone bill and best of all not hard sell - well only a little but that was to be expected ;)

She gave me various scenarios with points, how many times I could visit, for how long and how much would it cost etc.

Would thoroughly recommend you give them a call as I feel I understand it all now for the first time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter