'Cure' for some food allergies

bookgirl

DIS Veteran
So a few years ago I was diagnosed with Adult Onset Allergies.

Recent:
4 grains (not celiac) (rash/eczema)
dairy (?) just tested positive no obvious symptoms

Predates the Adult Onset:
Strawberries/Pineapples/some raw fruit. Oral Allergy Syndrome/burning mouth
Eggs (stomach symptoms including nausea) anecdotal, can eat them in other foods just not as the main ingredient.

On a blood test in November my doctor noticed I had a high calcium level. Not unusual for me as one of the pills I take can cause a high calcium reading.

Still he was concerned and requested a more specific panel.

Turns out my Vit D was low and blood calcium very high. Ordered another specific test and Parathyroid Hormone high.

I went on a high dose Vit D regime and was retested. Same results and sent to an Endocrinologist.

Put on an even higher Vit D regime and ALL tests redone.

While on vacation in DLR I was called with results. My Vit D had finally come up to a normal limit, my Calcium was low normal but my Parathyroid was still high. I still have a Vit D supplement but we are waiting to see if the Parathyroid will drop to normal before he recommends surgery to remove the glands.

BUT I was on vacation and having more wheat exposures then normal only I had not one rash/itching episode. NOT ONE.

Looked it up and Lack of Vit D can be tied to low immunity and eczema/rash breakouts.

One month later, I have been eating every thing except the fruit and I still limit eggs. (allergies that I have had longer and have symptoms not related to my skin)

I (knock on wood) have had no food allergy symptoms.

I kind of feel like I wasted two years when it looks like a simple blood test might have been the answer all along.

As a side note my brother was recently diagnosed with a VIT D deficiency and my dad has had the same for a number of years. This would be a type of Hyperthyroidism known as Familial and we are ALL loading up on VIT D (I take a Rx of 50,000 units once a week and then a 1000 unit OTC pill the other 6 days)

Don't know if it will help everyone but thought some of the other posters who had similar symptoms to mine might want to check on the test.

ALSO do not just go out and over load on VIT D, it can be detrimental if you do not have the deficiency.

mistysue

DIS Veteran
Just trying to understand what you're saying- are you suggesting that if people have a grain "allergy" diagnosed based on a rash, they should go sit in the sun to get some vitamin D instead of supplements? Just FYI- if you start having trouble again they did a study at least a decade ago where they found people who were having trouble absorbing vit D supplements could go to a tanning bed for 2-3 trips (just 5 minutes not enough to tan) would have more vitamin D in their system than people who took supplements for a year. So if mid-January next year you start having a problem that might only cost you a few minutes and $15 to get yourself back on track.

That is sad that they didn't do a blood panel for nutrients when they tested for allergens. Also, just good information to know- food allergy testing is known to have somewhere around a 50% rate of false positives. Having a positive result means you are sensitized, but it's completely possible to be sensitized your entire life without ever having an allergy. The allergy is when you react to a food.

bookgirl

DIS Veteran
No I just meant don't go buy a ton of VIT D and start taking it. There's a reason they prescribe 50,000 unit pills and don't sell them. Too much VIT D can make you retain to much calcium and cause kidney stones. Don't take mega doses without consulting a DR. They are monitoring my levels while I'm on these doses. I'm just saying if you had an adult onset allergy/sensitivity with food allergies that cause rashes or itching you might want to check your VIT D levels.

I did have a full allergy panel and it matched up with actual episodes of food/rash so I was reacting, I just haven't reacted to anything since my VIT D came up to normal.

I also react to ultra violets so too much sun can break me out in hives LOL But I did read that sunlight can also help with eczema and I do break out less when I can get sunlight on my legs and I have tried to make sure that I get sunlight although I tend to wear very high sun block.

Last edited:
  • bookgirl

DIS Veteran
    A lot of people with allergies hang out on this board, where we have exchanged information on eating allergy free and other things. Since this is where they are, this is where I posted but thanks for your input.

If the mods want to move this up to the Disabilities community board then no problem.

lanejudy

Since it is not directly related to trip planning, I am moving this to the disABILITIES Community board.

mistysue

DIS Veteran
    No I just meant don't go buy a ton of VIT D and start taking it. There's a reason they prescribe 50,000 unit pills and don't sell them. Too much VIT D can make you retain to much calcium and cause kidney stones. Don't take mega doses without consulting a DR. They are monitoring my levels while I'm on these doses. I'm just saying if you had an adult onset allergy/sensitivity with food allergies that cause rashes or itching you might want to check your VIT D levels.

I did have a full allergy panel and it matched up with actual episodes of food/rash so I was reacting, I just haven't reacted to anything since my VIT D came up to normal.

I also react to ultra violets so too much sun can break me out in hives LOL But I did read that sunlight can also help with eczema and I do break out less when I can get sunlight on my legs and I have tried to make sure that I get sunlight although I tend to wear very high sun block.
    That is interesting. Last fall I figured out that I was having reactions to dairy. Over the winter I starting taking a very small Vitamin D supplement that dissolves under my tongue. Instructions are 3 pills 3x/day is on the package, I take one in the morning. After a couple months of that I had some dairy on accident and nothing happened. I know this won't work for my son (allergic to everything and keeps adding allergens) but that would be pretty awesome if it helps other people.

• happymommy

DIS Veteran
    Did you have a RAST blood test done to determine your levels? My son has had allergies since infancy, outgrew peanut and sesame, still allergic to dairy and egg, and he sees the head of pediatric allergy & immunology at Johns Hopkins (Dr. Wood).

I just wonder how you got tested, as skin prick tests aren't very reliable. Only testing the IgE is.

bookgirl

DIS Veteran
    Did you have a RAST blood test done to determine your levels? My son has had allergies since infancy, outgrew peanut and sesame, still allergic to dairy and egg, and he sees the head of pediatric allergy & immunology at Johns Hopkins (Dr. Wood).

I just wonder how you got tested, as skin prick tests aren't very reliable. Only testing the IgE is.
    Between the skin tests and the anecdotal it was pretty clear I was reacting after certain exposures so my doctor chose to not do blood tests. I see the allergist in Dec after being back on most of my 'allergens' for 6 months. Don't know if I'll have to retest or if they will do blood tests or skin tests.

• Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates