Culture Shocks and Disney Magic... in Asia!!! A TR on all Asia Disney Resorts! [Update Dec19!]

OMG I got tense just reading your description of check in! Kudos to you for keeping your calm til the very end - I absolutely would have lost my sh*t and probably would've been banned :crazy2: Glad it wasn't an issue once you got to Vancouver but like you said, since we have such a large asian population here in the Lower Mainland, this 144 hour transit Visa must be way more common.

But you have ARRIVED!!! Woohoo!!!

I'm so excited for this trip report! Your group is adorable. Very interested to learn about the matching yellow pajamas.:flower1:

I had the same thing from a Travel Agent friend of the family when we were originally planning to go to China. The 144 hour transit visa was new last year so a lot of TA hadn't yet heard of it.
It's getting better as more people travel to China under this new arrangement.

Seems to be a very Asian thing to do.....and it must be a recent trend as well. Wonder if it's become something that people are doing because there are so many low cost carriers these days that charge extra for on-board food?

Crazy, isn't it?

Shanghai airport is so geared up for the 144-hour transit but yet some of the people in the industry haven't caught up with the new arrangement!

Yeah, I think we were all hoping since the 144 hour transit has been ongoing for at least a little while now, that it wouldn't be TOO unheard of. Which proved to be the case in Vancouver. But here at home where we don't get as many direct international flights... well that was a total different story hahaha.

I was very impressed in Shanghai regarding how well they are handling the 144-hour transit! I think they're trying to really push for it, to encourage people to do a stopover in the cities that are part of the 144-hour transit.

Hmmm. Those official looking uniform airport security types seem to be the latest scam at the airport.

500 Yuan for a trip from Pudong airport to the TSH?
OMG!!! I'm going to tell my DM. She will be super interested to find out the price.
Ahahaha WELL going back from TSH back to the airport we only got charged 100 Yuan. Soooooo yeah haha

What a hectic start to your trip! The airport agent sounds unbearable. But I'm glad you got it sorted and your flights went smoothly. Yay for being in Shanghai!

OMG, i would've gone off on the employee! how rude, kudos to you for staying so calm.

Oh man! That employee - definitely not the way you want to start your vacation! I'm glad everything got worked out and you made it though!

So glad you finally made it. I think my emotions would have got the best of me and I would have started crying right there at the counter. Why did he think it was okay to treat customers like that? I guess he didn't get the memo to be kind to the customers.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Honestly, I have literally never ever experienced anything like this in my entire life of travelling. It honestly SHOCKED me. I'm just going to go with that maybe he didn't get any sleep either the night before. Maybe he'd already dealt with other difficult flyers. Maybe he honestly thought we were there to scam air canada into a free flight or something. Ahhhhhhhh

Glad you made it to Shanghai!

Good for you not going off on the check in agent, I don't think I could have restrained myself. I am generally a calm laid back person but there are certain things that set me off, I think that would have been one of them, LOL.

Lucky your flight was empty, for such a long flight it's great you could spread out some.
I honestly think the fright of being put onto a ban list scared me really really bad haha. What about all my future Disney trips!!!

I'm so excited for this trip report! Your group is adorable. Very interested to learn about the matching yellow pajamas.:flower1:
Bahahaha yellow pyjamas is gonna be a little while from now so unfortunately you may have to wait patiently... It's during our Tokyo leg! But we definitely had a hoot in them, that's for sure :rotfl:

OMG I got tense just reading your description of check in! Kudos to you for keeping your calm til the very end - I absolutely would have lost my sh*t and probably would've been banned :crazy2: Glad it wasn't an issue once you got to Vancouver but like you said, since we have such a large asian population here in the Lower Mainland, this 144 hour transit Visa must be way more common.

But you have ARRIVED!!! Woohoo!!!
I have to be perfectly honest... I couldn't deal with our agent. I definitely stepped away many times because I knew I'd probably blow up. I'm SO glad the other agent was helpful. I honestly don't know what I would have done if for some reason our agent refused to let us go anywhere. I'm very glad at least Glendon has a sound head and was actually able to convince the guy to get us to Vancouver before the other agent came to save us. I'm lucky that when I jump to worst case scenario (HE WON'T LET US FLY I'M SCREAMING OH NO WE ARE BANNED FOR LIFE OH NO WE ARE ON SECURITY WATCH LIST WHAT DID I DO?!?!?!?!) Glendon is cool as a cucumber and logical :drinking:

Day 2 [part 1]: Checking in to Toy Story Hotel. First views of our room!
[Here, we begin the photo heavy posts!]​

Alright!!! The arrival at our hotel! We made it! It’s officially day 2 even though it still felt like the first day… and it’s already early evening the next! Haha. China Time Zone is 14 hours ahead of our home Mountain Standard Time!! (We all set to have our Apple watches show what time it is at home so we would know if it was appropriate or not to send messages back, etc.)

Plans for this night was to get checked in, take a look around the hotel a little bit, then head over to Disney Town (Shanghai’s version of Downtown Disney) to get some dinner! Maybe a little bit of shopping, then head back to our room to sleep to get ready for our very first day of parks the next morning.

So here we are! Reservations under Glendon’s name so here he is, checking in haha
0bE80E6.jpg

Looooooove all the very cheesy cutesy theming. Toy Story Hotel is Shanghai Disneyland’s value resort. Based on Glendon’s standards, he thinks in comparison to the American resorts, probably closer to a Moderate than a Value. It’s definitely not as HUGE as the values in the states. Theming wise, yeah it’s pretty good! Anyways checking in was very easy, and ALL the cast members were so excited to help us. A lot of them were really happy to be able to practice their English. It was all pretty cute.

The Reception sign above the desk
LyNN8Je.jpg

View of the puzzle pieces wall behind the desk
OZVj1dw.jpg

And I LOVED the vests the cast members wear so of course I had to take a photo of this CM
Z48UksL.jpg

it’s got all the toy story characters on it! I just thought it was so cute!​

I forgot to take a photo, but the female cast member was very kind and she made sure each of us got to get a different character on our room keys so we had a selection for our collection! She was so cute and told us we get to keep them after haha. I THINK our card characters were… green aliens, Bulls-Eye, and… maybe Woody and Buzz? Maybe someone had Jessie? I only remember the first two because I let Jenna choose first and she chose green aliens (which was the one I wanted hahaha) and so I chose Bulls-Eye after. Anyways! On to our room!

The galactic hallway!
AsvVGXO.jpg

I honestly have no idea what our wing was called. But basically there are two themed wings. One side is the Western side and the other is the Buzz lightyear space ranger side. I’m really glad we got the (I’m going to call it Galactic) Galactic side, because it was all bright and blue and green. In that photo you can see the green lights. On the Western side, it’s all Woody and Jessie cowboy themed… and with red lights. Yuck! I would much rather have green lights than red!!! But I guess it doesn’t really matter, it’s just a hallway hahaha.

And here we go…. photos of our room!!! We were really rushing to get photos, because honestly we were exhausted and hungry and really really wanted to get everything done here as fast as possible to go and get dinner.

First off the bathroom sink
gbd7PBP.jpg

Little bit of toiletries, some paper cups, and water bottles!​

YAY! Little amenities kit
jZHJnQQ.jpg

Oh, inside is just travel sized tooth brushes and mini toothpaste
wLI6vGt.jpg

A view of our beds
5ZTrfo7.jpg

In Asia, almost all the hotel rooms only have double sized beds haha.​

Here is a slightly different angle view of the beds.
RBJezsF.jpg
Yep, definitely not a queen sized bed. But I like that the night stand is a Rubik’s Cube. And the carpet is cute. And the bed spread decorative thingy. I’m having a brain fart and can’t remember what it’s called.

My favourite detail of the room:
DMW9ONR.jpg

You can just imagine what went through my head every time I looked up at this hahahaha “OoooooooOooOoOooooooOOooooh” “THE CLAAAAAW”

And I love this photo on the wall because it’s one of my favourite scenes from the Toy Story Movies aha
OvzZjhD.jpg

Also the wallpaper behind the bed!​

THE SHOWER CURTAIN!
H2Lnh13.jpg

Notepad!
QsfsZqe.jpg

Even in Shanghai it’s H20+
Mr6Lstk.jpg

Paper, envelope, and post card!
iZFMrLH.jpg

Our first impressions of the hotel room? Size of the room itself wasn’t bad. We weren’t expecting anything grand, and we were already expecting the smaller beds, so it wasn’t a problem. The little “toy” details around the room were definitely super cute. For example (I can’t find a picture at the moment but I’m SURE I took one…) the table in the corner by the window, the pedestal leg underneath is a giant Sorry! piece! I do like that with Disney, even though it’s a Value resort, you still get the theming throughout. However, if you looked around some more, you can definitely tell that this hotel was put tother and built up very very quickly. Like, you can definitely tell that this was a rush job. Also, I wonder if bathroom ventilation in hotels is like… not a thing?! Anyways, there was no ventilation in the washroom, so if you make a poop poop I’m sure there is no where for the smell to go. When you shower, it definitely gets very very steamy. To a point that even though this hotel is almost brand new… there was already mold in the ceiling of the shower. This bothered me a little bit… but you know… if you don’t look up then it’s out of sight right?

Anyways, other than being a little weirded out that the bathroom had no ventilation, we weren’t unhappy with our room. (I wonder if this also played in to factor that when we first walked into the room, it smelled a little bit… wet? humid? hmm.) We’re just glad to have a place to stay. Plus you’re at Disney. So really, something really bad has to happen to dampen our moods.

SO! Dropped off our bags, made sure we had adequate clothes on for the chilly evening (It was 2 degrees C! 36 degrees F!) and we were off to go catch a shuttle to Disney Town!
When we got downstairs to the lobby, though, we just saw a bus leave. So we asked the CM at the stop how long of a wait it would be until the next bus. He said 15 minutes, so we decided to check out the hotel shop until the next bus came! The hotel shop is right next to the hotel entrance, and the bus stop is basically just out the doors of the shop.

LOTS of giant silly hats in Asia! So Jenna and I definitely had to put on a couple of them.

9sbozrd.jpg

CKtYjMX.jpg

Up Next… Our night in Disney Town!

Last edited:
Also, if anyone were interested in watching Glendon's summary video of our trip, here it is! Kind of a sneak peak into my more in-depth TR! Eventually, I'll get my VLOG channel up with more videos from this trip. But in the mean time, here's this haha.

What a fun adventure! So glad the agent didn't stop you from boarding to be able to get to Vancouver where all ended up well!

You are living my bucket list for Disney trips I want to take some day so I get to live vicariously through you! The Disney Toy Story Hotel looks like a fun yet affordable hotel to stay at. Can't wait to read more!

I'm really enjoying your report! I appreciate your honesty (sometimes it makes me laugh!) but also your positive attitude. Looking forward to more!

Ahahaha WELL going back from TSH back to the airport we only got charged 100 Yuan. Soooooo yeah haha

I mentioned it to my mother last night and she reminded me that we paid a total of 110 Yuan for both of us to get from the airport to our hotel in downtown Shanghai. The Maglev was definitely the best way for us.

But that security officer scam is going to catch a lot of people. Even I stopped to talk to them when they told me they were from "airport security".

Oh well. Live and learn.

What a fun adventure! So glad the agent didn't stop you from boarding to be able to get to Vancouver where all ended up well!

You are living my bucket list for Disney trips I want to take some day so I get to live vicariously through you! The Disney Toy Story Hotel looks like a fun yet affordable hotel to stay at. Can't wait to read more!
Thanks for following along! We originally wanted to do at LEAST three weeks for this trip, but timing didn't work out for our entire group so 18 days it was!

I mentioned it to my mother last night and she reminded me that we paid a total of 110 Yuan for both of us to get from the airport to our hotel in downtown Shanghai. The Maglev was definitely the best way for us.

But that security officer scam is going to catch a lot of people. Even I stopped to talk to them when they told me they were from "airport security".

Oh well. Live and learn.
We really wanted to do the Maglev!!! I got to do it my last time in Shanghai 11 years ago, and I KNOW the boys would have LOVED it. But unfortunately, it didn't work out for our timing so we had to skip it =(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter