CRV Not to be first Monrail DVC (and other rumors)

nuts

Lover of Disney, Family Guy, and all around good p
I haven't posted on rumors in awhile. My 'friend' and I had dinner recently. Great chance to catch up on other things...but I always manage to get her on DVC. She knows I post here so is careful in her wording. But she is also pretty straight with me (and does tell me what not to post).

According to her, CRV will NOT be the first DVC on a monorail. It will be GCV. Apparently they are seriously looking at building a monorail stop at the Grand Californian. As most of you know, the monorail already goes through the GC, but doesn't have a stop yet. Stay tuned to this rumor.

Ok, CRV, man, I can't get her to talk. That tells me they are close to something. She usually clamps down when they are in the serious stage. Based on the way she answered questions I still think it will be mixed use...but maybe that just means Resorts will own more points than usual? She did indicate that what ever is being built is not in any hurry.

Interesting stuff on non-disney locations. Yes, this is going to happen. On the table: Hawaii, Colorado, Mexico, Caribbean (wouldn't divulge where). They are seriously looking at partnering with the division responsible for the mini-disneys they want to build. Also under review is deeper partnership with a quality timeshare (can you spell M-A-R-R.....).

Well, that's all that I can discuss. As always, my disclaimer: My source is as good as yours, and the value of this information is equivalent to the amount you paid.

This is interesting news about GCH and the monorail. The Brisas courtyard is where it runs now. I always thought a monorail station would fit well there. I had heard that they wanted to expand the monorial at DLR to hit all existing, and future resorts. We will see if this comes to pass. Thanks for the heads up.

I haven't posted on rumors in awhile. My 'friend' and I had dinner recently. Great chance to catch up on other things...but I always manage to get her on DVC. She knows I post here so is careful in her wording. But she is also pretty straight with me (and does tell me what not to post).

According to her, CRV will NOT be the first DVC on a monorail. It will be GCV. Apparently they are seriously looking at building a monorail stop at the Grand Californian. As most of you know, the monorail already goes through the GC, but doesn't have a stop yet. Stay tuned to this rumor.

Ok, CRV, man, I can't get her to talk. That tells me they are close to something. She usually clamps down when they are in the serious stage. Based on the way she answered questions I still think it will be mixed use...but maybe that just means Resorts will own more points than usual? She did indicate that what ever is being built is not in any hurry.

Interesting stuff on non-disney locations. Yes, this is going to happen. On the table: Hawaii, Colorado, Mexico, Caribbean (wouldn't divulge where). They are seriously looking at partnering with the division responsible for the mini-disneys they want to build. Also under review is deeper partnership with a quality timeshare (can you spell M-A-R-R.....).

Well, that's all that I can discuss. As always, my disclaimer: My source is as good as yours, and the value of this information is equivalent to the amount you paid.

We were at the World last week. I rode past the North Wing Contemporary site several times from the monorail. I saw several construction workers, sewer line laying all over, and cement trucks churning. It looked to me like something would be happening very soon.

Just an observation.

This is interesting news about GCH and the monorail. The Brisas courtyard is where it runs now. I always thought a monorail station would fit well there. I had heard that they wanted to expand the monorial at DLR to hit all existing, and future resorts. We will see if this comes to pass. Thanks for the heads up.

Glad you brought that up. I forgot to add what you just posted. There is a LOT of focus on the Anaheim facility overall. Look for huge expansion of resorts...and look for monorail expansion to those resorts. Apparently its not as costly to do in California as Florida (ground work not as expensive...not built on a swamp). DVC in GC is coming, most definately. Expansion beyond that as well. GCV will be the BCV of the west coast. Small and in high demand.

Very interesting info...I'll stay tuned to see what happens. Of course GC is what I'm waiting for the most, but I'm looking forward to see what happens with the non-disney locations.

I am hoping that Iger has a press conference where he lays out the master plan. From what was described to me...could be very exciting!

Thanks, Nuts for the fresh rumors! Your source didn't happen to mention a time frame when all this will be announced, did she? I'm so excited about the GCV, I'm going crazy waiting for official news.

Thanks Nuts! Love hearing new rumours!

Those non-park locations sound great! Do you think there would be any type of partnership with 4 seasons? I have wondered since the announcement of the 4 seasons at WDW if there was more to come ....a first step in a deeper partnership. Not sure what that would be, DVC and 4S aren't really in the same league or same type of system. :confused:

This part would make me VERY happy.

yea, Ca has waited a long, long time for a DVC resort there. So that doesn't surprise me.

I really, really wish they would say about CR or CRV - but you gave me hope again.

thought the building was going so slow because the builders needs to know which way - suites or dvc? they are different.

so if CRV is mix use and there will only be 350 villa in the first place. sounds like the smallest DVC resort to me.

boy need to save even more pennies! there might not be any points left once DVC members buy up - that is if they let us have first go at them.

of course the only thing worst than no CRV - would be CRV on the CR side not the MK side....would I still buy-don't know.

Marriott is more like DVC than 4 seasons. so that is not a big surprise either. Besides the original one in Ca not to mention Paris that was to become a DVC went to Marriott. So they have a long relationship.

is the one in Ca coming with free tickets? OKW started with free tickets. and since this is the first one at DL - might DVC use the same incentive?

is the one in Ca coming with free tickets? OKW started with free tickets. and since this is the first one at DL - might DVC use the same incentive?

I wish this were possible. but I don't think there will be any incentive on the DVC at GCH. There is so much pent up demand for a DVC in CA. Why offer incentives? This property will sell out in record time. I think the Incentives offered with OKW were to encourage people to buy into a time share they had never heard of. Now that DVC is so popular, there is no need to offer incentives like that.

I agree that it looks GCV will be the first monorail resort but I doubt the monorail will actually stop there.

First, the current system is seriously overtaxed as a transportation system with just the DLH stop. These are much smaller trains than at WDW, with strollers needing to be folded and no standing allowed. DLH guests report sometimes waiting for 4 trains before being able to board in the busy morning hours. The 10 minute walk to the front gate is usually quicker and, if you have a stroller, easier. With a 5 minute walk from GCV, this would be doubly true.

Second, remember that the monorail was on limited service for about a year due to the construction of the Nemo Subs. If Disney was going to build a new station, why not do it then?

Third, as afar as new routes, construction may be theoretically cheaper than in WDW, but everything is squeezed in so tightly at DLR that any change will result in serious disruptions. At a minimum, a change in the current line would probably mean taking the Nemo Subs out of operation for some period of time because the monorail piers share the lagoon with the ride, which seems unlikely since the ride just opened in June.

Adding new routes would involve losing existing real estate in Downtown Disney or crossing a city street. Not impossible, but hardy easy or cheap.

-- Suzanne

I agree that it looks GCV will be the first monorail resort but I doubt the monorail will actually stop there.

First, the current system is seriously overtaxed as a transportation system with just the DLH stop. These are much smaller trains than at WDW, with strollers needing to be folded and no standing allowed. DLH guests report sometimes waiting for 4 trains before being able to board in the busy morning hours. The 10 minute walk to the front gate is usually quicker and, if you have a stroller, easier. With a 5 minute walk from GCV, this would be doubly true.

Second, remember that the monorail was on limited service for about a year due to the construction of the Nemo Subs. If Disney was going to build a new station, why not do it then?

Third, as afar as new routes, construction may be theoretically cheaper than in WDW, but everything is squeezed in so tightly at DLR that any change will result in serious disruptions. At a minimum, a change in the current line would probably mean taking the Nemo Subs out of operation for some period of time because the monorail piers share the lagoon with the ride, which seems unlikely since the ride just opened in June.

Adding new routes would involve losing existing real estate in Downtown Disney or crossing a city street. Not impossible, but hardy easy or cheap.

-- Suzanne

I dissagree. Why would the Monorail need to be modified over the Nemo attraction if they add a station at the GCH? In addition, they will soon be building a new fleet of monorails for Disneyland. (they used to have 4), I can see them running 4 again which will increase capacity. Also I dissagree with your assumption that running the Monorail to new hotels will be such an engineering feat. I can think of several easy routes that could be taken to expand the system.

As usual I agree with Nuts. :thumbsup2

I was told while at Disney last week that off WDW site locations is definitely the focus and direction right now for DVC.

I agree that the Contemporary is being debated heavily between DVC and Resorts because at this point, deluxe resorts at Disney are staying booked close to 100% and resort operations since the major rehab at the Contemporary is not as willing to turn it loose as they were previously.

man am I tired...I was skimming and thought I read Grand Floridian...and I scratched my head 'what the heck does he mean the GF doesnt have a monorail stop ' :rotfl2:

I dissagree. Why would the Monorail need to be modified over the Nemo attraction if they add a station at the GCH? In addition, they will soon be building a new fleet of monorails for Disneyland. (they used to have 4), I can see them running 4 again which will increase capacity. Also I dissagree with your assumption that running the Monorail to new hotels will be such an engineering feat. I can think of several easy routes that could be taken to expand the system.
Isn't the first of the new monorails due for delivery this fall? With the new 1.2 Billion dollar budget set just for DCA, I can only imagine the budget for resortwide improvements, including hotels, and DVC. I read somewhere that the monorail would never stop at GC, or ever be extended. I can't believes this would still be true.

Isn't the first of the new monorails due for delivery this fall? With the new 1.2 Billion dollar budget set just for DCA, I can only imagine the budget for resortwide improvements, including hotels, and DVC. I read somewhere that the monorail would never stop at GC, or ever be extended. I can't believes this would still be true.

Yes, that is true. When I was a Castmember at DL there were 4 Monorails running and the ones they are decomissioning now were brand new. (That makes me feel old). anyway, They plan on having a full fleet again, so capacity will be greatly increased. I think you are right that any Monorail expansion will come out of that budget. AS for DVC, You and I are going to pay for that. That is why a DVC at the GCH is a no brainer, no money out of Disney's pocket for that expansion as members who purchase there will pay for construction, and provide Disney with a tidy profit to boot!

Fun stuff to speculate, that's for sure! Who knows what Disney will do or don't do. Wouldn't you love to be a bug in the DVC exec conference room?! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter