Cruising with elderly/less than stellar health experiences?

SingingMom

DIS Veteran
Planned to take my parents on a 5 night NY-Bermuda cruise to celebrate their 80th birthdays. Mom has mobility limits - walks with a cane but is very slow. Dad just had a serious setback that required a 10 day hospital stay, but he is home now and getting stronger. I did purchase trip insurance.

Since the cruise is only 5 nights, no flights required, and going to well-developed Bermuda, if the doctors give their blessings, do you think they will be ok? I have two verandah staterooms, so they can sit on the verandah and enjoy the ocean breeze on their own if they aren't feeling up to the crowds. They don't have to leave the ship when it docks if they don't want to.

I just really wanted to give them one more nice vacation together, with my husband & I there to keep an eye on things. Now I don't know what to do. :confused3

Awaiting this weeks' doctor appointments to hear what they think....

The mobility issues shouldn't be a concern for mom. If you think she would need more assistance than just a cane, consider a wheelchair for off the ship. For dad, since his issues sound quite recent, I would check with his physician. DCL won't necessarily need physician notes, but it might be helpful to have "just in case" something arises during the cruise and you have to make a claim for reimbursement (medical or cruise fare) to show the doctor(s) felt they are healthy enough to travel.

How are they with bathing/showering? Will either need a seat or bench? Can both step up into the bathroom and again step into a tub, or would a roll-in shower be better. You could call DCL to see if one is available; if not, there is an HA shower stall at the spa.

Enjoy your cruise!

How do your parents feel about it? Do they feel like they're up to it? Have they cruised in recent years?

I ask because my mom's doctor would say that she's in good enough health to travel, but she really doesn't want to anymore. She used to be an intrepid traveler, but she's become much more anxious as she's gotten older, and she just doesn't do well if she's out of her home and her routine. It was one of the things that surprised me most as she aged. She used to be up for anything.

I wondered about them having cruised recently because seniors can develop balance and vertigo issues out of nowhere (yep, mom) and a 5-day cruise would not be the best place to find out about that.

Sorry, don't want to be a downer. I've just spent a lot of time dealing with the realities of geriatrics lately....

Mom was dying of cancer and she ended up at the hospital 2 days before the cruise. We were across the country when it happened. My mom needed fluids and I knew it. Des wanted her to stay longer and do tests which we k ow what it would tell us. The nurse took me aside and said for us to leave and go on the cruise. We did and when we got back she died a week later. So.... go of they want. Time is precious.

We had taken my elderly parents several times. Mom has mobility issues and walks with a cane. When we cruise we take a wheelchair for her. Dad had more serious health issues but was always up for an adventure. He had issues walking long distances because of his health. He protested but we also brought a wheelchair for him. It kept him from getting tired just from moving around the ship so he had energy to enjoy other things. (Like I said, he protested the wheelchair at first but he adapted pretty quickly. The crew really treated them special. Our dining room servers would meet us at the door and make it a special event to wheel them to the table.)

If your parents are up for it and the doctor approves, I say go for it. While we took enough cruises with my parents that Dad got up to Gold status, I'm very sad we didn't get to take that last planned cruise from NYC in 2016 because of his failing health. (We'll be sailing to Bermuda this fall too, we're happy we can still take Mom, now 87, with us.) It sounds like you are local to NYC. My advice, have a wheelchair for each of them when you arrive to the port. (DCL has a limited number available on the ship; and I believe you can rent and have them delivered to the ship.) But we always found we needed them before that. Just the terminal alone would be a challenge - it is a very long building for individuals who can't walk long distances and with wheelchairs you don't need to worry about finding them some place to sit if you have to wait. (We bought inexpensive travel wheelchairs from Walgreens or maybe it was Amazon; but you can check local churches or Veteran organizations - they sometimes have a few they will lend.)

The other thing if you do this and have them both in wheelchairs - pack plenty of patience - for dealing with other passengers and the elevators. Some people are blatantly rude, others can be unintentionally rude. Elevators are small and people tend to jump into one when it opens in front of them no matter who was waiting longer than them. When you have a wheelchair, you can't quickly move to the open door and a lot of people will jump in front of you no matter how long you have been waiting. Also, some don't have the patience to wait until you maneuver out of an elevator before they jump in. But you will also find the good in people as some will go out of their way to help you get into/out of an elevator or down narrow hallways. But this was the most frustrating part and with some planning you can avoid busy elevator times.

I think the key is if your parents think they are up for it. If so and the doctor's approve, I say go for it. Good luck with your decision.

What a beautiful trip! I would absolutely go; They can sit on the verandah and not leave the ship if that's what they choose. HAVE THEM GO!
Trip insurance a MUST of course! We honeymooned in Bermuda, Southhamption Princess, 35 years ago....bet that Bermuda is still "unspoiled"...
Time is precious, let them ENJOY some wonderful memories! You are a wonderful daughter and son in law! Hope that you can enjoy your family trip. Make beautiful memories!:cheer2:::yes::

My Mother In Law is very sick and requires cancer treatment. The Dr worked with us to schedule an ideal time to take her between treatments. He said it would be good for her to go and encouraged us to take the trip.

The thing about medicine, is they don't know everything and they know it. However, they do know that mental state has a lot to do with it. A cruise / vacation / spending time with family / etc gives someone more to live for than just waiting around to die and they know that's healthy.

We had taken my elderly parents several times. Mom has mobility issues and walks with a cane. When we cruise we take a wheelchair for her. Dad had more serious health issues but was always up for an adventure. He had issues walking long distances because of his health. He protested but we also brought a wheelchair for him. It kept him from getting tired just from moving around the ship so he had energy to enjoy other things. (Like I said, he protested the wheelchair at first but he adapted pretty quickly. The crew really treated them special. Our dining room servers would meet us at the door and make it a special event to wheel them to the table.)

If your parents are up for it and the doctor approves, I say go for it. While we took enough cruises with my parents that Dad got up to Gold status, I'm very sad we didn't get to take that last planned cruise from NYC in 2016 because of his failing health. (We'll be sailing to Bermuda this fall too, we're happy we can still take Mom, now 87, with us.) It sounds like you are local to NYC. My advice, have a wheelchair for each of them when you arrive to the port. (DCL has a limited number available on the ship; and I believe you can rent and have them delivered to the ship.) But we always found we needed them before that. Just the terminal alone would be a challenge - it is a very long building for individuals who can't walk long distances and with wheelchairs you don't need to worry about finding them some place to sit if you have to wait. (We bought inexpensive travel wheelchairs from Walgreens or maybe it was Amazon; but you can check local churches or Veteran organizations - they sometimes have a few they will lend.)

The other thing if you do this and have them both in wheelchairs - pack plenty of patience - for dealing with other passengers and the elevators. Some people are blatantly rude, others can be unintentionally rude. Elevators are small and people tend to jump into one when it opens in front of them no matter who was waiting longer than them. When you have a wheelchair, you can't quickly move to the open door and a lot of people will jump in front of you no matter how long you have been waiting. Also, some don't have the patience to wait until you maneuver out of an elevator before they jump in. But you will also find the good in people as some will go out of their way to help you get into/out of an elevator or down narrow hallways. But this was the most frustrating part and with some planning you can avoid busy elevator times.

I think the key is if your parents think they are up for it. If so and the doctor's approve, I say go for it. Good luck with your decision.

Excellent post!!! Agree with all of it. My parents are 87 and 85 and still cruise alone. They are slowing down but my mom would not give up a chance to cruise again. They are sailing out of NY next month on another line and my mom brings her walker that has the seat and rolls. That seems to help her a good deal. My dad still rides his Harley around town so he is in better shape physically. They walk slow but as long as they are steady it helps a lot.

MJ

Thank you - all of you - for the wonderful responses! They were SO excited when we told them about our plans and all mom kept saying was "Pray to God that we will be well enough to go". I so wanted them to enjoy possibly "one last big vacation" together, with DH & I watching over them.:hug:

Dad sees the rest of his doctors this week - hopefully they will give approval. I have to look into a traveling wheelchair, so that mom has a place to sit . That was an excellent suggestion. Dad seems a little nervous about it - I will let him make the call I guess. I just know that once we are settled on the ship, they will be in heaven.

Yes - they have cruised before so hopefully that won't be an issue. And they really are fine with staying put when we dock in Bermuda, so mom's mobility should not be problematic. I think Dad is a little unnerved by this last hospital stay. He's a very cheerful happy go luck guy, it's sad for me to see him scared. :worried:

We are renting an Ecv from special needs at sea in New York for our Bermuda cruise. DH can walk short distances on the ship but needs it for the port and safety drill. It’s there if he needs it.

Are they wanting to go on this trip? It all depends on what your parents want to do, there is always a way to make it happen if they really want to go. A lot of older people do do get very worked up and nervous about anything out of the ordinary. And while it might not seem like a big deal to younger people, the elderly can worry endlessly about these things. You know your parents best and how they handle things. You did not say how far out the trip is. Definitely get a wheelchair for both if needed.

Not sure where in NJ you are located. You may want to check out https://www.goodwillhomemedical.org for mobility equipment. They have a store in Lawrenceville, and a warehouse in Bellmawr. The warehouse is open the first Saturday of every month from 9 am until 1 pm. Their inventory varies as you can understand, and not everything is used. We purchased a new ECV from their warehouse for a very reasonable price.

I haven't read all the replies. We just took my in-laws in June for their 50th anniversary (they are both mid 70s). My MIL had a heart attack and stent placed in February. She can walk and do things like take a shower, etc., but distances and stairs are hard. We purchased a wheelchair (Medline-Ultralight-Transport-Wheelchair) to use to get around the ship. My FIL is still pretty mobile and healthy for his age, so he didn't need assistance.

My MIL was fine staying on the ship most of the time in her stateroom. She got to know the room service people (I did have to help her figure that out)! We did wheel her onto Castaway Cay for a bit. We did wheel her to main dining and one of the shows (she skipped the other nights). She was able to see the fireworks from the verandah, she said. She thought it was the best way to vacation!

And I agree with above sentiments of older people being less settled about things. I researched the heck out of everything so I would be able to answer all their questions and calm their fears. One thing I have to say is with potential health problems AND with elderly people sometimes having not so great access to their documentation...just get them passports if they don't already have them. Also, have small bills for tip money and take help where you can get it...porters, room service, etc.

Update - Dad went to his main doctor yesterday & he said he thinks a 5 night cruise should be fine! Again I really appreciate all the advice.
They really DO want to go, so we are going to stick to our plans. :sail:

I will look into a wheelchair of some sort for mom - She's the one with the mobility issues even though it's Dad with the major health issues.

Update - Dad went to his main doctor yesterday & he said he thinks a 5 night cruise should be fine! Again I really appreciate all the advice.
They really DO want to go, so we are going to stick to our plans. :sail:

I will look into a wheelchair of some sort for mom - She's the one with the mobility issues even though it's Dad with the major health issues.

Yay!!! Happy to hear this!!!

Not to be a Debbie Downer but be sure to have trip insurance.
First in case they can’t go at the last minute you don’t loose your money and secondly if you would need to be evacuated the insurance would cover it.
Also they should really have passports because if they would have to be evacuated form the ship while in a foreign country you need a passport.
Also you should research insurance through outside companies. Disney insurance is more expensive and may not cover pre existing conditions.
Have a great cruise. Hopefully you won’t need my advice.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but be sure to have trip insurance.
First in case they can’t go at the last minute you don’t loose your money and secondly if you would need to be evacuated the insurance would cover it.
Also they should really have passports because if they would have to be evacuated form the ship while in a foreign country you need a passport.
Also you should research insurance through outside companies. Disney insurance is more expensive and may not cover pre existing conditions.
Have a great cruise. Hopefully you won’t need my advice.

Trip insurance and passports are all set. thank you :cutie:

The nephrologist saw Dad yesterday and he concurred there is no reason he can see that he shouldn't go on the cruise! He then went on to say how much he loved Bermuda. lol I called the local medical supply place yesterday an found out it's only $20 a week to rent a wheelchair for mom, so that's another worry taken care of. Now...… just to pray no hurricanes! lol
:sail:

Absolutely go! We have sailed several times with elderly parents and grandparent. Get an ECV. My mom used one and she zipped around ahead of all of us. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!