Cruising with a picky eater

My picky eater adult daughter eats off the kids menu always on DCL. She is so glad they have a kids menu with good things :rotfl:

Totally a foodie. Yet totally ordered an extra kids cheese pizza one lunch to go with my sea bass. Pizza was better. You can always order whatever you want :P

Will they let adults order from the kids menu. I hate to say it I’m a 30 something adult who is very picky.

Will they let adults order from the kids menu. I hate to say it I’m a 30 something adult who is very picky.
Adults can order from kid's menu, kids can order from adult menu. You can use a combination of them, also. Like soup from the adult menu, but entree from kid's menu. Or vice versa. They are happy to get you what you want.

When travelling with my Auntie one year, our server noticed she was mainly having mac and cheese from the kids menu. He asked if there was anything else she wanted but she insisted she was fine. He called me aside and asked me what food she liked. I listed some foods she like such as baked potato and cheese, cottage pie and spaghetti carbonara and each night he presented her with something different. The carbonara was so good the next time round he bought enough for us all! They have also bought Indian food out for my dad before and the vegan specialities they delivered for a table mate of ours a couple years ago were phenomenal.

Yep, my picky eater ordered the same thing every night, no problem, making it plain, too, in the Dining Room. Waiters enjoyed knowing what entree she was choosing.

They will try to have the chefs make it with or without items, but yes, it make take a few more minutes.

They are so good with picky eaters of all ages! I have heard a couple of horror stories about waiters cutting up an adults food that chooses from the kids menu. These stories seem less prevalent now so maybe DCL got the memo that we dont think this is cute. But if this is something that will bother you, please let the headwaiter or waitstaff know ahead of time. Also if your pickiness is due to any intolerance that dont quite rise to the level of allergies, let the headwaiter know but also let him know that you want to "self manage" your preferences. For instance some common spices can be triggers for my Crohns so I was able to get most sauces on the side so that I could try a little but the entire dish wouldnt be ruined if the sauce was too much for my system.

And do take the advice of looking at the menus in advance so that if you want something that's being served elsewhere the next night, you can request it ahead of time.

Given your concern (and some of the strategies above), I would also recommend doing some research here to hunt down highly recommended serving teams likely to be on your cruise. You can request them (no guarantees). Not all servers are created equal (experience, attitude, etc.).

My picky eater ate mac n cheese for 14 straight nights on one of our cruises and a few times for lunch too! I also asked them if it was possible to bring green peppers and cucumber slices each night for him and by the end of the cruise it was a platter that our entire table enjoyed.

True the trick it to inform them in a timely manner. So they have time to prepare. And most time if there is something on the menu but you do not like the sauce, just ask for the dish plain. They will go out of their way to make you happy! We love DIsney

we had a lot of luck mixing and matching. My son is picky but LOVES steak and mac and cheese and he pretty much had some form of that every night for dinner on our 4 night dream cruise. His favorite was the sliced tenderloin with the tamarind sauce from AP and they got that for him a second night... with a side of mac and cheese!

On our first DCL cruise - a 14 night transatlantic, one of my sons wanted only an apple a couple nights, so after he asked for this they would slice up a green apple and serve it to him for dinner. He could still order something else if he wanted, but they always had the apples ready.

The kids menus has chicken fingers and a kids burger every night. Also they always offer a plain steak, slow roasted chicken, and salmon on the adult menu every night as well. All of these are pretty bland but might be right up your picky eater's alley. When we first cruised with my nephew, who was very picky, the head server noticed on the first night he hadn't eaten anything. From then on he asked him each night what he wanted to eat the next night. I think he ate a toasted bagel, fruit loops, and bowl of grapes for dinner almost the entire cruise. Your head server can be your best friend if you have good communication.

Yes! The simple fare on the adult menu can be great for picky eaters. My picky eater had the kids menu chicken strips several nights on our first cruise till she discovered the roasted chicken! You’d think she was in heaven, lol. Had that every night after (with fries) for the rest of that cruise and I’m pretty sure also every night on every cruise since then, lol!

The QS on the pool deck is made to order. They have a big grill back there. They can only make with the ingredients they have, but they will do what they can within reason.

Cabanas has a full buffet out with a lot of options. You will likely be able to find something they will like.

Breakfast I can't imagine them NOT finding something they will eat. There are so many choices.

For dinner, the waiters and chefs will do just about anything.

I'm a very selective eater (don't like 'picky' because of negative connotations). For example, as a recovering vegetarian I don't eat any meat on the bone. Also my stomach can't handle spicy food. On the first night of our cruise the dinner choices were blackened chicken, spicy sausage, or beef ribs. I convinced the waiter to get me a plain broiled chicken breast, however, it took a long while - everyone else at our table was served and finished by the time my meal arrived. Night two - I ordered multiple plates, didn't eat half of them, and felt guilty. After that it was Cabanas all the way.

I convinced the waiter to get me a plain broiled chicken breast, however, it took a long while - everyone else at our table was served and finished by the time my meal arrived.
That doesn't make any sense; there is always a plain chicken breast on the 'lighter fare' menu each night. Why would you have to 'convince' the waiter to get you something that is already on the menu?

That doesn't make any sense; there is always a plain chicken breast on the 'lighter fare' menu each night. Why would you have to 'convince' the waiter to get you something that is already on the menu?
This was 2003, so maybe it wasn't on the menu then? I don't think it made sense either, but the waiter was very insistent that I order from the adult menu, picking one of those three choices. He was unwilling to bring me any of the three without meat or to bring me a kid's meal.

This was 2003, so maybe it wasn't on the menu then? I don't think it made sense either, but the waiter was very insistent that I order from the adult menu, picking one of those three choices. He was unwilling to bring me any of the three without meat or to bring me a kid's meal.
Sorry you had such a bad experience; glad that the current policies should prevent it from ever happening again.

Sorry you had such a bad experience; glad that the current policies should prevent it from ever happening again.

Yep. These days there are five entree options as well as the chicken breast option and the sirloin option on every dinner menu. There are also a couple of vegetarian options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter