Cruising out of NYC

celina14

Mouseketeer
Hello! I was planning on using my placeholder to book one of the newly released itineraries and finally got to check prices today and Yikes... got a bit of sticker shock. We have only cruised DCL once (like just got back a week ago) and since we did off peak and booked a OGT rate I guess I got a little spoiled in terms of cost. So anyway, looks like Summer 2021 most likely won't be an option unless we did a short Bahamas cruise which I still hate spending as much on a 3 or 4 night cruise as we just did on a 7.

Which leads me to my question. Does Disney sail out of NYC every year? I see that they have some Bermuda itineraries out of NYC this fall and that is very intriguing to me since 1 - I loved Bermuda when I went and 2 - we can drive to NYC. Also, when do they typically release the rest of the year itineraries?

Thanks!

We've sailed NYC to San Juan in November twice. It's a very Merrytime cruise, which are great and prices are always good - even a better deal once past PIF date. We also sailed once in June to the Bahamas and back. That was 7 1/2 years ago and as far as I know, they've sailed out of NYC every year since (just not that June cruise anymore). They are all fall dates once the Magic comes back from Europe.

We've sailed NYC to San Juan in November twice. It's a very Merrytime cruise, which are great and prices are always good - even a better deal once past PIF date. We also sailed once in June to the Bahamas and back. That was 7 1/2 years ago and as far as I know, they've sailed out of NYC every year since (just not that June cruise anymore). They are all fall dates once the Magic comes back from Europe.

Perfect! Thank you! I guess I may just wait until they release fall and see if that works for us!

Last year, most of The Bermuda cruises were on the "special deal" list, if you can be patient and willing to take a risk, you may get another good price.
Summer always has the most crazy price structure for sure.
We booked for the first time ever a summer cruise and my head still spins thinking about the price.
We booked for destination only, I wish they offered some of these cruises in the off season.
We are just 2 adults, so we can cruise anytime.

I'm pretty new to the game, but it seems like the Magic sails out of NYC each fall, upon its return from Europe. This year (fall 2020) the season is shortened a lot due to a late return b/c of a dry dock in Europe, so the Magic doesn't pull into NYC until October 12th. I have my fingers crossed that it'll return earlier in 2021 and do more trips, like it's done the last few years.

We did a 7 night Halloween cruise out of NYC this past October that has utterly spoiled me for other itineraries.

Last year, most of The Bermuda cruises were on the "special deal" list, if you can be patient and willing to take a risk, you may get another good price.
Summer always has the most crazy price structure for sure.
We booked for the first time ever a summer cruise and my head still spins thinking about the price.
We booked for destination only, I wish they offered some of these cruises in the off season.
We are just 2 adults, so we can cruise anytime.

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, we took my daughter out of school for a week for this cruise which I was trying to avoid doing again plus next year my son will also be in school. But those prices really make me rethink that! LOL!

In the past the fall itineraries for the next year were released in May, though last year it was the first week of June.

We love sailing into and out of NYC. We live in PA, so we can drive and the sail in/out is just gorgeous. We've found the pricing for sailing Disney out of NYC to be much more palatable than the summer due to it being their off season (and hurricane season).

I'm pretty new to the game, but it seems like the Magic sails out of NYC each fall, upon its return from Europe. This year (fall 2020) the season is shortened a lot due to a late return b/c of a dry dock in Europe, so the Magic doesn't pull into NYC until October 12th. I have my fingers crossed that it'll return earlier in 2021 and do more trips, like it's done the last few years.

We did a 7 night Halloween cruise out of NYC this past October that has utterly spoiled me for other itineraries.

Ah, good to know that NYC seems pretty consistent. And I didn't think of the dry dock affecting the time in NYC. I think this may end up being our best bet if we can find some dates where we won't have to take the kids out of school for too long. And being able to drive there reduces the cost a whole lot!

Last edited:
In the past the fall itineraries for the next year were released in May, though last year it was the first week of June.

We love sailing into and out of NYC. We live in PA, so we can drive and the sail in/out is just gorgeous. We've found the pricing for sailing Disney out of NYC to be much more palatable than the summer due to it being their off season (and hurricane season).

Last year we sailed the WBTA (Sept) from Dover to NYC, I would have never thought in a million years, we would miss our two Canada port stops due to a Hurricane.
We are Floridians and didn't see that coming, LOL
Usually it's bad in the South with the warm waters, but that thing made it all the way up the coast into Canada and further North.

Last year we sailed the WBTA (Sept) from Dover to NYC, I would have never thought in a million years, we would miss our two Canada port stops due to a Hurricane.
We are Floridians and didn't see that coming, LOL
Usually it's bad in the South with the warm waters, but that thing made it all the way up the coast into Canada and further North.

I have to admit, until we moved North 16 years ago (originally from Nashville) I never really gave much thought to hurricanes affecting the NE. Boy was I wrong!! We even have had significant damage in SW PA from hurricanes that tracked northward - especially from flooding.

The last time we sailed into NYC from Quebec City in Oct 2018 on NCL we just missed a hurricane tracking up the coast. We made it to all ports, but I was pretty shocked the captain was able to dock in Boston the way that ship was rocking the night before. The winds and waves were crazy. The cruise after ours which did the reverse itinerary did miss several ports.

The other time we cruised out of NYC to Canada in Oct we had fabulous weather. But the cruise after ours that had been scheduled to go to the Bahamas ended up being switched to a Canadian itinerary. Disney was very generous and allowed people to cancel without penalty. Though I've read reports on here from folks that ended up taking the revised sailing that it was a fabulous trip as the ship was practically empty!

Sept / Oct is basically a crapshoot weather wise. It doesn't stop me from booking though. I like the cooler weather and prices. I just make sure to purchase trip insurance and am prepared to be flexible. :goodvibes

Thanks for that info! We're in Delaware so yeah, way easier to drive there than fly to one of the other ports.

We loved our Disney cruise to Bermuda last year. However, we had a lot of stress due to hurricanes, One of which went directly over Bermuda the week before we went there and one which was headed there as we left the island. You just have to know that if you book in September or October, there is a real risk that your cruise can be changed or even canceled. This may not be a big deal to you because you can drive, but for those of us who have to fly it was a real stressor. That was the last time I am ever booking a Caribbean cruise in the fall. Even though Bermuda technically isn’t the Caribbean and they supposed to get a lot less hurricanes, it’s still added to a lot of stress.

We did Bermuda from NYC during October 2019 too, and yes.
Fare was quite reasonable (first time we did a GTY), and getting to/from the port was MUCH more convenient (as we live in NJ not too far from a good train line).

And yes, "the sea was angry that day my friend." Roughest I've ever seen on DCL, but we managed.
Even cut short our time in Bermuda as Captain took a bit of a detour to avoid the roughest seas.

Our DVC MC was to Bermuda last October. The seas were so rough, we skipped Boston. We were on Deck 2, I think, and some waves crashed as high as our window. Still, one great cruise! Sailing out of NYC is especially exciting for me. I always stay on deck to see us go past the Statue of Liberty! We are scheduled to go NYC to San Juan in October 2021, it’s a Halloween cruise. The last time we did it it was a Merrytime Cruise. Can’t wait!

Hello! I was planning on using my placeholder to book one of the newly released itineraries and finally got to check prices today and Yikes... got a bit of sticker shock. We have only cruised DCL once (like just got back a week ago) and since we did off peak and booked a OGT rate I guess I got a little spoiled in terms of cost. So anyway, looks like Summer 2021 most likely won't be an option unless we did a short Bahamas cruise which I still hate spending as much on a 3 or 4 night cruise as we just did on a 7.

Which leads me to my question. Does Disney sail out of NYC every year? I see that they have some Bermuda itineraries out of NYC this fall and that is very intriguing to me since 1 - I loved Bermuda when I went and 2 - we can drive to NYC. Also, when do they typically release the rest of the year itineraries?

Thanks!
I was booked for Bermuda Halloween 2020 that was cancelled. Expect prices to go way up as ships will only be able to book 50% capacity rate.

I was booked for Bermuda Halloween 2020 that was cancelled. Expect prices to go way up as ships will only be able to book 50% capacity rate.

doubt it. Many people will be scared or can’t or won’t go because they don’t want to quarantine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter