Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously doubt it. It's not needed. Folks buy the drinks period. Those who bring their own will continue to do so. Those who want to save will buy the drink of the day.
Everyone of those things could have been said about other cruise lines before they introduced all incslusive packages.

The Disney paperwork says you are can bring a bottle of wine or a six pack of beer per legal drinking age adult

It's actually 2 bottles of wine, not one. You can bring this on when embarking, and at each port. From the DCL FAQ

Prohibited Items – Frequently Asked Questions

Q.
Are Guests allowed to bring alcoholic beverages on board the ship?

A.
Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port of call. These beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.

Guests wishing to consume wine or champagne that they have brought on board in one of the dining rooms will be charged a corking fee of $25.00 per bottle.

Please note:

• Any alcohol packed in checked luggage will be removed and stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Any wine or champagne in excess of 2 bottles or beer in excess of 6 beers will be stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Bringing liquors and spirits (including powdered alcohol) on board is prohibited. These items will be stored until the end of the cruise.
  • Guest MUST retrieve any stored alcohol at the end of the cruise. Items not retrieved will be destroyed and no compensation will be offered.
  • Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Please note that the Disney Cruise Line alcohol policy is subject to change without notice.

I have found that non fountain sodas in the MDRs carry a charge, - if it comes out of a can there is a charge, DCL supply Coke products. Others are available but subject to a charge, and then 15% automatic tip on that.

So take care what you choose, my son asked for something like Orange Fanta and it came in a can and there was a MDR charge.

To say non alcoholic beverages in the MDRs at dinner have no charge is incorrect. Some do.
Am I going to have to give my kids a cheat sheet to use when getting sodas and snacks, or does DCL make it easy to know what has a charge while onboard? Do they let you know when there's a charge for drinks/snacks ahead of time? Or is this something that shows up on a bill later? Are there prices listed somewhere in the cafe/restaurant/room service menu that lists the things that will have a charge? I don't want to he caught off-guard and end up with a huge bill for things that could have been avoided.

Am I going to have to give my kids a cheat sheet to use when getting sodas and snacks, or does DCL make it easy to know what has a charge while onboard? Do they let you know when there's a charge for drinks/snacks ahead of time? Or is this something that shows up on a bill later? Are there prices listed somewhere in the cafe/restaurant/room service menu that lists the things that will have a charge? I don't want to he caught off-guard and end up with a huge bill for things that could have been avoided.
It's easiest to just ask "will there be a charge for this?" when ordering.

The items that have a charge on the room service menu say "call for pricing" - those would have a charge. Ordering any drinks from a server (poolside or in a bar/lounge) will have a charge. Any alcoholic drinks will have a charge. Specialty coffees/teas (Cove Cafe and Vista Cafe) have a charge.

I've never once been charged for soda in the MDR, ever. The only time I've noticed a charge for soda is when you get it from a bar tender, because you get it in a can. It's on tap in the MDRs, so there should be no charge at all.

How expensive are the drinks? It is worth it to bring stuff on board with you?

Also, do they consider things like the Skinny Girl Margarita liquor or wine? I saw on the website that they take away any liquor.

Also, do they consider things like the Skinny Girl Margarita liquor or wine? I saw on the website that they take away any liquor.
You are not allowed to bring onboard any hard liquor - only wine or beer. I believe a Margarita is hard liquor.

It's in a wine bottle, so they would most likely see it as wine when using the X-Ray machine. It's not within their rules to bring on any kind of hard liquor, but whether or not they would see the shape of the bottle and ignore it is up for debate.

It's in a wine bottle, so they would most likely see it as wine when using the X-Ray machine.

Agreed.

Looking at the SkinnyGirl website it seems that they are, actually, liquor, and not a malt-based beverage as I was assuming. But still, they look like wine bottles.

Bring a pillowcase from home and give that and some markers to guest services when you board. They will have the chAracters sign it and return it to your room before the end of the cruise.
Great and not so expensive treat!!
I love this idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter