Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you- Part 2

If you know you'd like to book a future cruise or a place holder, I'd recommend going to the booking desk early in your cruise. You will be able to do it quickly whereas if you wait until later in your cruise the lines will just keep getting longer and longer.
With regards to the place holder, since that expires 2 years after you booked it, I have been booking that on the last day of the cruise. However, on our last cruise, we were speaking with the CM on the penultimate day and she offered to take the form then but charge it on the last day, thus avoiding us bothering them on the last day.

So that may also be worth bearing in mind, if you want to eek out an extra few days on your place holder. Also, you can just drop that form off in their box on the morning of the last full day of the cruise and they'll process it that day anyway without you needing to queue.

With regards to a placeholder, I believe your cruise needs to be completed 2 years from the booking date. Is this correct?

With regards to a placeholder, I believe your cruise needs to be completed 2 years from the booking date. Is this correct?
The cruise needs to begin 2 years from the booking date, not be completed by that date. I actually had a placeholder that proves this to be true. I booked the placeholder on 8/14/16, I used that for a cruise that goes from 8/9-8/16/18. I got the 10% off.

As I said as long as you are platinum or concierge, no lines :-)

I don't know what terminal you speak of, but the lines at Concierge and Platinum for Port Canaveral have gotten longer and more crowded every time we've cruised as more and more people become Platinum. Last time it took us 45 minutes just to get checked in because there was a line for Platinum and Concierge checkin that was longer and slower than the line for first-time cruisers. Our friends were checked in well before we were. The Concierge and Platinum waiting area was standing room only, and not much of that was available because of so much luggage scattered about. I went out on the observation deck just to get away from the crowd, and this was a cruise that isn't historically full.

I can see them ultimately giving Platinum one of the main lines on the left and a separate waiting zone/room/area so that Concierge can have their area back, because the more people become Platinum the worse it's going to get.

I don't know what terminal you speak of, but the lines at Concierge and Platinum for Port Canaveral have gotten longer and more crowded every time we've cruised as more and more people become Platinum. Last time it took us 45 minutes just to get checked in because there was a line for Platinum and Concierge checkin that was longer and slower than the line for first-time cruisers. Our friends were checked in well before we were. The Concierge and Platinum waiting area was standing room only, and not much of that was available because of so much luggage scattered about. I went out on the observation deck just to get away from the crowd, and this was a cruise that isn't historically full.

I can see them ultimately giving Platinum one of the main lines on the left and a separate waiting zone/room/area so that Concierge can have their area back, because the more people become Platinum the worse it's going to get.

I agree. When we have cruised other lines, we noticed in the terminals (even in Manhattan) that their top tier passengers had separate enclosed rooms and they were serving drinks and food while they waited. The Disney terminal doesn't bode well for the "elite" groups like Concierge and Platinum because the crowds are enormous. With three more ships coming (even though they won't all be in Port Canaveral), they need to rethink their terminal layout.

I agree. When we have cruised other lines, we noticed in the terminals (even in Manhattan) that their top tier passengers had separate enclosed rooms and they were serving drinks and food while they waited. The Disney terminal doesn't bode well for the "elite" groups like Concierge and Platinum because the crowds are enormous. With three more ships coming (even though they won't all be in Port Canaveral), they need to rethink their terminal layout.

When we cruised out of Pier 91 in Seattle the Concierge/Suite area wasn't very fancy, and they didn't tell us we could arrive as soon as the port opened, so by the time we got to the Concierge/Suite waiting area the food and drinks had been decimated, but it was a ton faster getting through security and checkin than it is at Port Canaveral. I understand the theming and beauty of the PC terminal. I really like it, but it's not very efficient at all. Apparently the new RCCL terminal at PC is really quick and efficient (we're talking 10-15 minutes from arrival to onboard), which is something I'd love to experience at Disney. Maybe they'll learn something from them when it comes time for any type of renovation.

I'm not sure if anyone else has spotted this but the doughnuts provided on the Fantasy (other ships may apply!) are Krispy Kreme. I spotted the bag when the doughnuts were being put out :)

And they have Kinnikinnick Cinnamon and Sugar Gluten-Free donuts for those of us who are Gluten-Free. (But if you are not GF, please stick with your glutened donuts!!)

Cruised out of Port Canaveral end of June, HUGE line to get on board, walked right up to concierge/platinum and was walked in right away.

The light switches on the new ships only work when your room key is inserted. We bring along an old hotel room key or plastic card of some sort to use instead of our room keys. Taking the key in/out of the lanyard can be a pain, especially if you're in a rush to use the bathroom. :P
Strangely enough, it only affects the room lights and the TV. The other power sockets in the room seem to be left live and the air con carries on working ...

I'm not sure if anyone else has spotted this but the doughnuts provided on the Fantasy (other ships may apply!) are Krispy Kreme. I spotted the bag when the doughnuts were being put out :)

I was on the Fantasy last week and noticed them too. Krispy Kreme Original Glazed doughnuts are the BEST!

On our third cruise, we saw boxes and boxes and boxes of Krispy Kremes being brought on for the next cruise out. SO many donuts!

Also, for the lunch buffet at Cabanas, I always forget to head towards the carving station in the middle for some sushi. And the hazelnut roll at Cabanas is my favorite!

The Krispy Kreme donuts are not on the cruises that leave out of Vancouver. They are just regular yeast raised donuts with glaze or chocolate frosting on top. They are okay, but not as good as the Krispy Kremes.

The light switches on the new ships only work when your room key is inserted. We bring along an old hotel room key or plastic card of some sort to use instead of our room keys. Taking the key in/out of the lanyard can be a pain, especially if you're in a rush to use the bathroom. :P

We always take an old card to use. Bring a magnetic clip and keep it above the slot to keep the old card. Never have to use your actual room key.

We always take an old card to use. Bring a magnetic clip and keep it above the slot to keep the old card. Never have to use your actual room key.

We take an old used gift card to work the lights. It also works to slide it out of the slot and just leave it in the slot without being pushed down. When we enter the room just push it down. Saves bringing something else to attach it to the wall.

We have learned to always fly in the day before the cruise and spend the night at a hotel. It makes embarkation day so much easier and less stressful. No worries about delayed flights, traffic, etc. And if we cruise in the winter months, it is almost a necessity, as we get unexpected snowstorms that could affect our flight schedule. We get to the port earlier by flying in a day ahead of time and are not quite so exhausted by the end of embarkation day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter