Cruise reservation cancelled - need advice

cory30

Earning My Ears
We have had an Alaska cruise booked via travel agent on Explorer of the Seas for the June 28th sailing for more than a year. We are a party of four and were fortunate to be able to reserve one of the large panoramic ocean view rooms. Our travel agent contacted us last week to remind us that final payment was due in two weeks so we made arrangements at that time to pay in full (date on the initial travel agent invoice shows a final payment date of April 15). At this point I assume all is well. Today I receive a call from the agent indicating that the final payment date was actually 3/31 (the 4/15 date was an error) so Royal Caribbean automatically cancelled the reservation. The agent indicated they have spoken with RC numerous times and the room is gone and the only option/availability at this point is to book two inside rooms (and pay more) as no ocean view rooms are available or to try and find another date. We have already booked plane fare so changing the dates at this point will have significant costs on that end.

Obviously, we are very disappointed and I mostly needed to vent. I am not sure what recourse, if any, I should seek at this point but wanted to get others thoughts/advice if possible.

That is a tough one. I would be livid. The TA made a horrible mistake. I would think long and hard about what you would be satisfied with before asking what the TA is going to do for you. I for one, would not want to spend any additional money on what is probably already an expensive trip. If you are able to find another date, ask the TA to cover airfare change fees and any additional cruise cost. If you stick with current date, ask them to cover difference in cost for the second room. I will say, although, it is not OV, it is quite nice to have 2 bathrooms and 2 closets. We sail this way all the time. Good luck!

Definitely sounds like the fault 100% of the TA. I'd be asking the TA to cover the difference in cabin rate OR if you move it to another date to get the cabin you want to cover the airfare changes plus any difference in cruise fare.

And honestly I'd use it as a lesson to try to pay off the cruise at least a month in advance of final payment so that there is some wiggle room in there in case there is an issue with payment OR a mistake by a TA as to when final payment is due.

Is this an independent agent or are they with an agency? If the agent is with an agency and is unwilling to do anything extra to fix their major failure then you need to talk with a manager. If the agent is independent and unwilling to do anything extra then it is a good time to remind them how you intended to tell everyone how happy you were using their services and still intend to do that (hint hint).

100% personal opinion, so take it as that and only that, but I would accept nothing less than 2 inside rooms at the same price as the oceanview room. Some extra OBC on top of that would make me a happy client, but understanding mistakes happen I would at least be satisfied if I were still on the cruise at the same price. Whatever you choose, I am sorry this happened to you and hope for a positive outcome. Good luck!

Oh wow-my heart dropped when I read your post OP. This must be very disappointing. I am sorry you are going through this. My advice to you would be to talk with the TA and see if they can help. But I am in the minority here in thinking that they aren't really under obligation to make up costs in this situation. I truly don't mean this to sound harsh but you had to have agreed to the conditions and terms of the cruise and final payment due date is clearly spelled out. So while I think payment responsibility was ultimately on you, the TA did give you a false date (not initially but as a follow up reminder)-which is still a major, major screw up. So hopefully, they may be willing to pay for some of the costs in changing. And you may need to work your way up the chain to talk to someone who has the authority to grant such payment. Good luck to you OP. I really hope things work out and you have an amazing vacation!

Oh wow-my heart dropped when I read your post OP. This must be very disappointing. I am sorry you are going through this. My advice to you would be to talk with the TA and see if they can help. But I am in the minority here in thinking that they aren't really under obligation to make up costs in this situation. I truly don't mean this to sound harsh but you had to have agreed to the conditions and terms of the cruise and final payment due date is clearly spelled out. So while I think payment responsibility was ultimately on you, the TA did give you a false date (not initially but as a follow up reminder)-which is still a major, major screw up. So hopefully, they may be willing to pay for some of the costs in changing. And you may need to work your way up the chain to talk to someone who has the authority to grant such payment. Good luck to you OP. I really hope things work out and you have an amazing vacation!

It does depend on the paperwork she got from the TA. When I book, what I agree to is from the TA and that is what's has the dates on it. If the TA put the wrong date on the paperwork, that does fall on the TA because unlike DCL where you can still go online and see your final payment date, RCCL does not show any of that if you use a TA, so you are totally dependent on them telling you the correct information.

Either way, this IS the big problem with waiting until the last minute to pay off the trip. If there is an error on anyone's part (TA for incorrect date, problem with line's website, bank issues, etc.) you're up that famous tributary without means of locomotion.

Interesting info Dug720. Thanks you! I have not used a TA with RCCL so I didn't know that you cannot see final payment date on the RCCL website if booked through a TA. That seems like a bad idea with no benefit that I can see.

Interesting info Dug720. Thanks you! I have not used a TA with RCCL so I didn't know that you cannot see final payment date on the RCCL website if booked through a TA. That seems like a bad idea with no benefit that I can see.

It just requires a lot of trust in a TA that they are giving you the right information.

And again, i personally prefer to pay off ASAP to avoid any issues. My cruises are not so expensive and my interest rate on my savings account do not equal more than a few cents of interest, so that whole "but the interest you are losing" argument it lost on me.

I also just realized that I misread OP's post and that the TA did give the wrong date initially not just on the follow up. So with that info and with what Dug720 taught me, then it does sound like the fault lies with the TA. OP double check all of your paperwork and then hash it out with the TA. They need to make it right if the situation is as has been described. Wishing you the best of luck.

I'm so sorry OP! Did you have travel insurance? I have no idea whether it would cover something like this and it may even vary by policy, but I would at least reach out to my travel insurance company to see whether there's a clause for an error with a booking agent.

Similarly, a licensed travel agent - whether with an agency or an independent - should have their own professional insurance, possibly with an errors & omissions clause. Especially if its a reputable or corporate travel agency like AAA or Liberty. It might take some work, but that policy would exist to cover what you're out due to their error.

If all else failes, maybe reach out to IATA or CLIA- these are industry accreditations that most agencies need to have to operate on commission with companies like Royal and Disney. I have no idea whether you can file a complaint or they can intervene for you, but at the very least, the agent may be responsive if their IATA or CLIA credential is on the line.

Good luck to you - I hope you can find some resolution! If it were me, I would keep the cruise and take the two inside cabins, demanding the TA picks up any extra incremental cost from that. Plus an onboard credit for the hassle!

It does depend on the paperwork she got from the TA. When I book, what I agree to is from the TA and that is what's has the dates on it. If the TA put the wrong date on the paperwork, that does fall on the TA because unlike DCL where you can still go online and see your final payment date, RCCL does not show any of that if you use a TA, so you are totally dependent on them telling you the correct information.
I thought the old site did have something about the payment deadline, but that's obviously a moo point with the new website, which DEFINITELY doesn't have that.

(Yeah, that's right - a moo point. It might be a moot point as well though)

Either way, this IS the big problem with waiting until the last minute to pay off the trip. If there is an error on anyone's part (TA for incorrect date, problem with line's website, bank issues, etc.) you're up that famous tributary without means of locomotion.
Agreed here. I think we usually pay off around the 100 days-to-go mark, as the due date is generally 90 days out (or basically when the check in process becomes active).

You booked a room with a fantastic view. I would expect the TA to make sure you have a view and pay for any difference to book a balcony. An inside is an insult.

I never use a TA. I want to be in total control of my vacation and the money I am spending.

Out of curiosity I just checked Explorer 6/29/18 and it's showing availability for 4 people for a Spacious Panoramic OV.

ETA
Hopefully this means the TA has already fixed the problem.

Out of curiosity I just checked Explorer 6/29/18 and it's showing availability for 4 people for a Spacious Panoramic OV.

ETA
Hopefully this means the TA has already fixed the problem.
Thanks for the good feedback.
The only documentation I had was from the TA which showed a final pay date of 4/15.

I just saw that room available although it won't let me reserve it so it must be held in some fashion. It is about $1,500 more than what I paid but would love to get it back.

Lesson learned is I will pay well in advance as no benefit to waiting. I have always just relied on the TA to prompt for payment which was my mistake.

Update - it looks like the room is gone now.

Thanks for the good feedback.
The only documentation I had was from the TA which showed a final pay date of 4/15.

I just saw that room available although it won't let me reserve it so it must be held in some fashion. It is about $1,500 more than what I paid but would love to get it back.

Lesson learned is I will pay well in advance as no benefit to waiting. I have always just relied on the TA to prompt for payment which was my mistake.

Update - it looks like the room is gone now.

It's still coming up for me. I would contact the TA immediately.

You booked a room with a fantastic view. I would expect the TA to make sure you have a view and pay for any difference to book a balcony. An inside is an insult.

I never use a TA. I want to be in total control of my vacation and the money I am spending.
I’m with you EXCEPT when it comes to cruises, like here. My TA has not done me wrong thus far over 5 cruises with them and has thrown in things that we wouldn’t have gotten on our own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter