Cruise refund to credit card with 0 balance?

PrincessPinball

Earning My Ears
My family is booked on a late November cruise on the Fantasy. We booked through Costco with a placeholder.

We are undecided whether or not we should cancel. IF we do, how are refunds handled?

It is my understanding that funds are refunded to your credit card. While we did pay for the cruise with our credit card - Our credit card has a 4K limit and I keep it paid off.

Our refund would be roughly 10k.

It is my understanding that credit card refunds to a card with a 0 balance remain on the card as a balance credit.

I don’t want a 10k balance credit on my card. I don’t even know if that is possible with the 4K cap. I’d rather have that money back in savings.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Would Disney cut a check? Help!

When we got a refund, it just went back to the credit card we paid for it with, as a huge credit. We just spent the credit for our normal monthly expenses and are about to use it up. Don’t know about the credit cap, we have a large limit on that card.

Your credit card should be able to facilitate a credit transfer to any account you need it in. I’ve never had one that large but it should be possible. I’m in the UK though so not sure if it’s different but I’d give your credit card provider a quick call

Thanks to all for putting my mind at ease! If we decide to cancel I will give my cc company a call and get it sorted out. Glad to know that’s an option!

Credit card companies generally don't keep credit balances on accounts for more than a billing cycle or two. But you can call and ask for a check or a transfer into your bank account.

My family is booked on a late November cruise on the Fantasy. We booked through Costco with a placeholder.

We are undecided whether or not we should cancel. IF we do, how are refunds handled?

It is my understanding that funds are refunded to your credit card. While we did pay for the cruise with our credit card - Our credit card has a 4K limit and I keep it paid off.

Our refund would be roughly 10k.

It is my understanding that credit card refunds to a card with a 0 balance remain on the card as a balance credit.

I don’t want a 10k balance credit on my card. I don’t even know if that is possible with the 4K cap. I’d rather have that money back in savings.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Would Disney cut a check? Help!
After DCL cancelled two of our cruises, we had over $21K in credits on our Chase card. A 5-minute phone call to their customer serfice number resulted in a refund check in hand one week later. If I had a Chase bank account, they would have done an electronic transfer instead, so that’s another option if it applies.

Once it goest through, simply call your CC company and request a check for the credit balance.

Only negative to requesting a refund is that if you used a rewards card you will have to give back the reward/airline miles/hotel points. When my plane tickets for our cruise was refunded to my American Airlines Mastercard, I just used the credit instead of asking for a refund, but still generated negative miles that month because I was refunded in a 2x miles category (purchasing an American Airlines ticket) but was spending in a 1x category. Something to consider if you bought a cruise in the first 3 months of a new card to get a $250 signup bonus or 50,000 miles, etc. for spending $5,000+. Refunding the purchase that earned you the bonus will cost you the bonus.

Just call your cc company. They will mail you a check if you request. I got mine. Took about 2 weeks. All good.

We always pay our cards off every month so with a pending refund from HAL (via chargeback since HAL after 3 mos has not issued the refund!!!) I have a - $4k balance. Once it's cleared I'm requesting a check from my CC. I rarely use that particular card so have no need for a large negative balance to sit on it.

I had -$9000 hit my Chase as a refund from our Alaska DCL (rest was gift cards). I ended up using it up with groceries, a home project, over the past few months.

Credit card companies generally don't keep credit balances on accounts for more than a billing cycle or two. But you can call and ask for a check or a transfer into your bank account.
I have Bank of America, and have had a negative balance of thousands of dollars for three billing cycles now due to WDW/DCL/airfare cancellations. So I don't think it is automatic. I use the cards pretty regularly though so I don't mind letting the balance roll over for a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!