Cruise Meets moving to FB?

In the end, if you don't like the switch to "other social media sites not allowed to be discussed here" then don't go. We did several cruises without joining any groups, here or elsewhere, and they were great. Then we caught on to groups on social media and they are useful to some degree. Many are similar to these forums. You get the same 10 questions asked non-stop. But there is good info sharing, like on these boards. But don't let a cruise meet group be some mandatory thing you have to do or the cruise will be a failure.

You think that all people on FB are using their real names? Hmm. I know many people who don’t use their real names.

Several of my friends used to use pseudonyms on Facebook, but the site has rooted them out in the last couple years. They end up getting a notice that they can either provide a real name or lose posting access. If someone's quite clever about creating a fake name that looks real they may get away with it longer, but it's definitely harder to hide your basic identity on FB than on a messageboard even if you lock everything else down to avoid giving away your location, job, etc.

I am disappointed with the move, I do not go on FB very much. If there’s a group here I join. We have a pretty good turnout for DVC’s Member Cruise.
What about those who aren't on FB?

Then, if you're lucky, someone on DISboards, who's also on the FB group may transmit information from there to here. Basically, it's like you're the stepchild and have no say in what's decided for the group or take part in any discussions.

BTDT

Also, here are the current Dis policies.

Not only is FB prohibited, but GoogleDocs for maintaining spreadsheets etc is also not allowed. Many fewer organization options.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...uise-meet-and-fish-extender-programs.3353477/
Policies like this are probably a big reason why most of the Cruise Meet/Fish Extender stuff has fled this site for places where there are no restrictive policies or filters to make sure certain things are never mentioned. I think people in general prefer to be treated like adults. I know I prefer to discuss my upcoming cruise and plan for FE exchanges without always feeling like there is a "babysitter" looking over my shoulder.

Policies like this are probably a big reason why most of the Cruise Meet/Fish Extender stuff has fled this site for places where there are no restrictive policies or filters to make sure certain things are never mentioned.

From a business perspective, I completely understand the no FB policy. It drives traffic away from this site. Not allowing the use of web based file systems doesn't make sense to me though. This is especially true for the Google system that doesn't even require an account if permissions are set correctly. I can't imagine how organization of multiple FB groups might happen without permission to use those sorts of tools.

From a business perspective, I completely understand the no FB policy. It drives traffic away from this site. Not allowing the use of web based file systems doesn't make sense to me though. This is especially true for the Google system that doesn't even require an account if permissions are set correctly. I can't imagine how organization of multiple FB groups might happen without permission to use those sorts of tools.
I think the restrictive policies, filters and infraction (punishment) system they have in place drives far more traffic away then just allowing people to freely discuss things. They likely don't allow things like Google Docs because they have can't control what's posted there. After all, one could somehow mention FB in their document...or use a word that winds up being visible rather than replaced with '*************'.

I usually volunteer to organize a Local Candy/Snack Exchange on the Disboards. I am Platinum, and have sailed on 25 DCL Cruises and organized on maybe 10 cruises. The smallest group had 3 of us exchanging, once there were 4 groups of 8.

I prefer consumable gifts! It’s fun to try different treats, especially interesting to me was an assortment of Mexican candies! Some were quite spicy, some milky, some chocolates. Japan candy was different and tasty too. Recently one gift was an assortment of California almonds. We all copy something from the internet about our treats.

I have never gone on FB to organize, but I know there are FB exchanges like the one I organize. That’s not a problem. I just prefer to stick with the Disboards. I have also asked to meet for lunch at Cabanas and perhaps do some pin trading. Maybe I am more comfortable with what seems like a smaller group here on Disboards.

Bobbi

Policies like this are probably a big reason why most of the Cruise Meet/Fish Extender stuff has fled this site for places where there are no restrictive policies or filters to make sure certain things are never mentioned. I think people in general prefer to be treated like adults. I know I prefer to discuss my upcoming cruise and plan for FE exchanges without always feeling like there is a "babysitter" looking over my shoulder.
This policy was not put into place UNTIL after those trying to drive people to FB had done their damage.

Since the implementation of this policy, things here on DISboards have gotten a little better. Except for those Cruise Meet threads that are set up by people not reading the policy disclaimer before setting up their thread.

I'm on another cruise forum, and they've had the "no face book" policy ever since I've been there.

I believe that driving people from FB to other sites is frowned upon, also.

Each site decides what works best for them. If you don't like the policies on one site, you are free to participate in whatever ones work for you.

I don't like the current trend for meets on FB. I only like it here on the DIS. I will not join a FB cruise meet, period. I don't like admins on FB kicking you out if they don't like you or for some other lame reason. On the DIS the mods are here to protect the bullying and victims of power struggles. It just plain isn't allowed. I don't like the control that AK and a few of her followers have on FB. I find it easier to follow here that on FB.

This policy was not put into place UNTIL after those trying to drive people to FB had done their damage.

The "damage" done here, if we're calling it that, was self inflicted. Would have likely been better to find a way to co-exist with both FB and Google Docs and use them both as a tools to help enhance the discussion here.

Since the implementation of this policy, things here on DISboards have gotten a little better. Except for those Cruise Meet threads that are set up by people not reading the policy disclaimer before setting up their thread.

That's good. Unfortunately I think that ship has likely sailed and don't see the DIS becoming THE place for cruise meets like it was in the past.

I'm on another cruise forum, and they've had the "no face book" policy ever since I've been there.

I believe that driving people from FB to other sites is frowned upon, also.

I don't think FB frowns upon driving people to other sites...in fact they seem to encourage and facilitate integration with other sites. Individual groups however may have different policies.

Each site decides what works best for them. If you don't like the policies on one site, you are free to participate in whatever ones work for you.

...or it's possible to participate in both while not turning a blind eye to the shortcomings of either.

I don't like the current trend for meets on FB. I only like it here on the DIS. I will not join a FB cruise meet, period. I don't like admins on FB kicking you out if they don't like you or for some other lame reason. On the DIS the mods are here to protect the bullying and victims of power struggles. It just plain isn't allowed. I don't like the control that AK and a few of her followers have on FB. I find it easier to follow here that on FB.
I've participated in cruise meets both here and on FB (at least 4 or 5 for each) and have never encountered "bullying and power struggles" in any form.

You can join (or start) a group here. Like Bobbi said, we’ve got a pretty good group for our DVC Member Cruise.

I’m sure there is one on FB too, but since I am not on FB, I couldn’t tell you how that one is or is not doing...

I think it's sad that people on FB and on here hide behind made up names. :(
Why is this a problem? One of my favorite things about cruise meets was “getting to know the person behind the handle”. I’ve done a number of cruise meets here on the DIS and it’s never been a problem.

From a business perspective, I completely understand the no FB policy. It drives traffic away from this site.

But a "DISboards on facebook" group exists. And very active, with The Dis contributors as moderators. This is in addition to the Disboards FB page. I don't know if the "no linking FB" rule applies to the Disboards on FB group though.

The idea is every site should have it's own group. You can't call a FE group on any other social media site a DISboards FE group. And I don't think everyone understands that.

None of my FB FE groups were called DISboards FE group and I'm not sure why anyone on FB would want/need to have a reference to DISboards. Personally I LIKE having options of going to several sites for information. I have recommended DISboards many times on various sites/forums and there has never been an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!