Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
To add to the rumour about the August date: people in UK have been allowed by Disney to cancel without penalty for trips booked until August 31st. Previously if you wanted to cancel you would at least lose your deposit. Any booking September 1st onwards normal T&Cs apply.
I think that’s a bit different though, since us in the UK have a lot more conditions that need to be lifted in order for us to visit the US, let alone Disney.

I think that’s a bit different though, since us in the UK have a lot more conditions that need to be lifted in order for us to visit the US, let alone Disney.
Yes but ultimately if Disney is open but flights/restrictions prevent us from going, that would be down to our travel insurance to sort out, it’s not Disneys problem.

• Legoland - opening June 1st
  • Fun Spot of Florida, Inc. - now open in Orange County. Kissimmee location, tbd
  • Gatorland - open
  • K1 Speed Orlando - open
  • Orlando Starflyer - open
  • Andretti’s Indoor Karting and Gaming - opening May 27th

ETA:
  • Island H20 Live! - open
  • The Wheel at ICON Park - open, per local news

Last edited:

To me it seems like a little spin. Makes it looked like they all agreed to be more cautious, but UO recklessly went forward with plans to reopen. That’s a better narrative than Disney stringing their customers along while they wait to see what the nba wants to do. Seems like an intentional leak to change the narrative.
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking.

I'm a little intrigued who universal think will be coming to the two parks plus water park plus hotels in the next few weeks. After the first couple of days of bloggers the places will likely be empty. That's gonna cost them loads of $$ being fully open but empty.

The other thing from the wdwpro is that if disney really was caught off guard - what does that mean for the west coast? Will disney allow universal to open first there as well or does that increase the priority in getting the original Disneyland open?

I never really set a date for when I thought WDW would open other than “not now and I don’t think very soon.”

I don’t know if the August 31 thing is true, but in some ways it could make sense. I suspect it could have been one of a few timing scenarios they considered.

- Labor Day week is already one of the slowest weeks of the year, since it’s right at the start of the school year.
- Schools would be (potentially, hopefully...) back in session in many places, and some parents would be less likely to pull their kids out to travel right at the beginning of the year, especially given this year’s school situation. Perhaps this timing would naturally keep crowds lower with locals and more couples, adults, families with kids younger than school age, etc.

Of course, the many rescheduled vacations could probably offset the potentially lower crowds that week. But, I personally know a few people (including myself) that won’t pull our kids out of school for a vacation at all next year, considering what happened this year. And especially not at the start. Coinciding with the start of the school year is an interesting thought.

Last edited:

I'm a little intrigued who universal think will be coming to the two parks plus water park plus hotels in the next few weeks. After the first couple of days of bloggers the places will likely be empty. That's gonna cost them loads of $$ being fully open but empty.

The other thing from the wdwpro is that if disney really was caught off guard - what does that mean for the west coast? Will disney allow universal to open first there as well or does that increase the priority in getting the original Disneyland open?

This is the they must start somewhere approach, it will be slow at first, but if it goes well people will see that and be more inclined to do it, and I think that will snowball and happen faster than most think. That itch to get out and do something is definitely there, and it bound to cause arguments within families. Ramping up slowly is probably a good approach. They are losing money just having the lights on with nobody at all.

I missed all of this last night, because sleep, but I do have multiple friends who had/have WDW vacation for June and have now booked for UO and I'm sure they're not the only ones. It won't be packed or anything, UO rarely is unless it's a holiday or special event, but it won't be completely empty I don't think (I don't think they'l have trouble with going over capacity though, that probably won't be an issue).

As far as this WDWpro stuff, I read it and had to contact my friend that works in analytics/logistics (can't remember her job title, I know she does data/numbers) and tell her about it. She says there might be shreds of truth in there, but most of it is just off the wall and she hasn't heard anything like it coming from anyone. D'amaro was still there because they hadn't done the change off yet, they overlapped his end and the next guys start so the new guy could be brought to speed. D'amaro is still in charge technically because he's all the presidents of the parks boss now, but they have definitely handed over the baton at this point. She said the mask issue is not something she has heard fly around as to why they haven't opened, it's all data driven, they are watching case numbers and don't want to open or promise to open if suddenly things take a turn for the worse and they have to shut down again. WDWpro makes it sounds like they have zero clue what they are doing and are just fumbling around, and it does feel like it at times. While they don't have 100% handle on the situation (because really, who does), my friend said don't think that they are all sitting around twiddling their thumbs not doing anything to get the parks ready and are so shocked at UOs move, it's not like they'll get approved and have to scramble like chickens with their heads cut off.

She has no clue when they are actually looking at reopening because they are keeping that very close to the vest, she just knows that this info is crazy and should be taken with a pinch of salt (maybe lining a cup with a nice strong, fruity drink inside).

I never really set a date for when I thought WDW would open other than “not now and I don’t think very soon.”

I don’t know if the August 31 thing is true, but in some ways it could make sense. I suspect it could have been one of a few timing scenarios they considered.

- Labor Day week is already one of the slowest weeks of the year, since it’s right at the start of the school year.
- Schools would be (potentially, hopefully...) back in session in many places, and some parents would be less likely to pull their kids out to travel right at the beginning of the year, especially given this year’s school situation. Perhaps this timing would naturally keep crowds lower with locals and more couples, adults, families with kids younger than school age, etc.

Of course, the many rescheduled vacations could probably offset the potentially lower crowds that week. But, I personally know a few people (including myself) that won’t pull our kids out of school for a vacation at all next year, considering what happened this year. And especially not at the start. Coinciding with the start of the school year is an interesting thought.

I like your thinking and agree.

The only thing that keeps throwing me off with the Aug 31st date is DVC. There is no way Disney could keep DVC closed until Sept.

So would they open DVC for 2 months without parks? I mean I guess they could but that would be interesting to say the least.

This is the only thing that is making me believe that Aug 31 date cant be true,.

I Imagine there are people who have universal vacations booked for June just as there are people who have WDW trips booked for June. Sure some will cancel, but I don’t think they all will cancel. I also wouldn’t be surprised if some people who have Disney vacations booked for June jump over to Universal if Disney is still closed. I have a trip booked for WDW in July and if they aren’t open by then I plan to go to Universal.

I would be completely shocked if Disney truly had absolutely ZERO idea Universal was going to open on June 5. The theme park execs meet every single week, there has been talk for weeks about reopening proposals, we all knew last week Universal was going to propose this week, and it would be incredible if the big parks weren't discussing dates and procedures together privately for weeks if not months too. And somehow Disney is "shocked" and now "scrambling" and "having to open to compete with Universal" even though they wanted to open August 31? It makes no sense at all. And to be honest it makes Disney look clueless and caught with their pants down, and now peeking at Universal's notes. This is not the Disney I know.
Concur, Disney knew about UOR. I think Disney just doesn’t want to move yet. Especially in light of the survey they sent out at DS asking people what they thought & if they’d come back and thoughts on masks. And shall we discuss DS attendance? Rumored to have been atrociously small yesterday... I don’t think an outbreak is their concern so much as opening up and nobody coming due to their own rules screwing it up (too tough or not tough enough)...

September is also prime hurricane season. We don’t plan a lot here during that timeframe either for the same reason.

Concur, Disney knew about UOR. I think Disney just doesn’t want to move yet. Especially in light of the survey they sent out at DS asking people what they thought & if they’d come back and thoughts on masks. And shall we discuss DS attendance? Rumored to have been atrociously small yesterday... I don’t think an outbreak is their concern so much as opening up and nobody coming due to their own rules screwing it up (too tough or not tough enough)...

I think part of the problem with low attendance right now is that it is essentially only locals at DS. I live in Ohio and they only just officially lifted the nonessential travel restriction a few days ago. Another problem for DS I think is that they only have 3rd party locations open at the moment. I’m interested to see if crowds increase when the Disney owned shops and restaurants open next week.

They cant use DS as a measure to how busy they will be. Until the parks are open the traffic at DS will be low, once opened more people will flock to it.

My family of 5 will be there spending plenty of money that Disney could've had! I'm still holding on to my July 1 reservation for Yacht Club, but the process of being canceled, re-booking, getting new fast passes and dining reservations have lost ALL appeal. Looks like Universal will win my money and many others! (We were big Disney fans and went yearly for about 15 years, until our kids decided they like Universal more. This was to be our first solo Disney trip in 7 years! And I ordered us all 2 Disney themed shirts for each of the trip, which will look real cute when we wear them in Universal and get the side glances of "wrong park." If you see me, I suggest you don't test me re. this. lol. I am so DONE!

I think part of the problem with low attendance right now is that it is essentially only locals at DS. I live in Ohio and they only just officially lifted the nonessential travel restriction a few days ago. Another problem for DS I think is that they only have 3rd party locations open at the moment. I’m interested to see if crowds increase when the Disney owned shops and restaurants open next week.
I am specifically waiting for the Disney owned shops to reopen before I visit. The only non Disney store I even browse through on a regular basis is Coach, and from what I have heard, they aren’t open yet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!