CRT - not feelin' the love .....

CrabbyPatty

DIS Veteran
Sigh ..... we upgraded free bounceback dining to Deluxe for our August trip, and I made a bunch of great ADRs (Ohana, Le Cellier, Hoop-De-Doo, SOA, Teppan Edo, WCC, Tusker House, etc). I have an ADR for lunch at CRT, but am just not feeling the love for this one.

We are doing Akershus again this year for breakfast and LOVED it last year - loved seeing the princesses, getting the picture package and great food to boot. So we will be seeing the princesses again this trip.

I keep on reading lukewarm reviews on CRT and am not sure if I should keep this ADR. DD isn't totally ga-ga to see the Castle, and I'm pondering if perhaps a nice meal at Crystal Palace and Biergarten might be a nice substitute. Any input that will get me off the fence? Thanks!

How old is your daughter? DD4 requested we eat in the castle again, we did that in Sept and going to do it again in May. To us, it's special. I really think it depends on your daughter.

As is everything else, I think this is a personal preference. I, too, have read the things that other people have said about their experiences and, for the money (or 2TS credits), I can certainly see why some choose not to do it. However, I loved that DD6 got to see all of those princesses in one place (saved us time searching for each one individually) and she loved eating in Cinderella's castle. While both of these made us consider booking CRT again, the deciding factor actually came from DS. He was 2 at the time (he's now 3) and everytime he sees the castle, whether in a Disney commercial, our home videos, or even the castle at the beginning of a Disney movie, he still says "that's where we ate breakfast!" That excitement seals the deal for me - I love seeing that smile and look of recognition.

We are eating breakfast at CRT on our first morning at WDW again this summer.

As is everything else, I think this is a personal preference. I, too, have read the things that other people have said about their experiences and, for the money (or 2TS credits), I can certainly see why some choose not to do it. However, I loved that DD6 got to see all of those princesses in one place (saved us time searching for each one individually) and she loved eating in Cinderella's castle. While both of these made us consider booking CRT again, the deciding factor actually came from DS. He was 2 at the time (he's now 3) and everytime he sees the castle, whether in a Disney commercial, our home videos, or even the castle at the beginning of a Disney movie, he still says "that's where we ate breakfast!" That excitement seals the deal for me - I love seeing that smile and look of recognition.

We are eating breakfast at CRT on our first morning at WDW again this summer.

A little OT. DBF took me to a really cute themed restaurant in San Antonio for my birthday. It's a place where all the waiters and waitresses dress up. Our waiter was Elvis, who I adore. We had a great time that night despite the face that we both kinda hated the food. Will be go back next time I'm home? Absolutely. Some times you are paying for the experience not just the food. If your DD would appreciate the experience at Crystal Palace more then that is what you should do.

I didn't hate the food at CRT. It was fresh and seasoned well enough. Yeah, it wasn't roll-your-eyes fantastic but the kids loved eating in the Castle and I liked having tip and photos included. That being said, the wait to get in was a little much and I wouldn't do it again unless I had multiple days planned at Magic Kingdom. Princess Storybook also gets you the photos and is only one credit, and I liked the food just as well so from now on I will probably go there if we want to see the princesses.

Thanks for the input! DD is 9 almost 10, so she's on the cusp of the whole princess thing, although she really enjoyed seeing them last year at Akershus.

Here's my honest opinion-
the meals in the castle could be much better. However, eating in the castle itself is an experience that is unmatched anywhere else in Disney.

I took my flower girls there when I had my Disney Wedding as one of my gifts to them and my nephew (ring bearer) told his mom he was disappointed, he wanted to come too! He had no interest in the princesses,he stiffened and focused on his bacon when they came around, but all he wanted to do was go up to the beautiful stained glass windows and look around to prove he was really INSIDE that castle!

I am so incredibly glad I planned that breakfast, everyone had a great time.

The stuffed french toast is actually pretty good, the bacon, eggs, muffins and fruit are pretty standard. Hashbrowns are not my favorite. But, I had a truly memorable experience.

What I didn't like is how they make it like a show. You all get in, the princesses come around, they rush you out and they want to clean the tables and get the next round in. We were the last ones to leave when my nephew told me he really wanted to look out the big windows. That was big magical moment and we almost didn't have it because of being rushed out. I guess I would just tell you to be prepared for food that's not the best and rushed service, but that would still not be enough for me not to recommend it!

I actually wish they did one dinner a week- say from 7 to 11 pm that was a more grown up experience, without characters- for families with teens or couples or even families with boys who like my nephew, wanted to see the castle but wasn't feeling the princess love.

I went back in 1997 for dinner(we walked right in with no reservations . I have got to say hands down, the food was horrible. I chose beef barley soup as my starter and it was Cambell's soup. I know this because I eat it sometimes. I could not believe the $$ they were charging and the slop they were serving. The atmosphere was cool and the Mickey shaped butter was cute but IMHO not worth it.
Fast forward to now. I am now married with 3 kids. I made ADR's because I think they'll like it but I'm not expecting much.

The food is horrible and its like your on a marathon kicking you out of the Castle after a short time! :scared1: Fast service, without the personal touch, to make a fast dollar would be my review....:eek:

We actually love CRT. Have done both breakfast and lunch and we thought the food was really good. We had the domo pie last time (I think that's what it was called), and it was DELICIOUS. The flaky crusty and the tender beef was amazing! I never felt rushed and the characters were really nice and I need to add that I only have boys and they really enjoy it--maybe the swords help!;)

Also our waiter was great, one of the kids didn't want what was on the menu and he brought him out something special.

I know a lot of people don't like it, but we sure do!! :thumbsup2

We did lunch there in December, 2008 and really enjoyed it. We also did Akershus and enjoyed that, but the setting for CRT was much nicer, IMO.

eta: I should have also said (since you mentioned them) that we also liked Crystal Palace and Biergarten greatly. Biergarten was our most fun meal of that trip.

CRT is a Family Tradition... I've probably been there at LEAST 10x or more...although that doesn't mean much as the menu and experience change from time to time...we have always had lunch or dinner there....

That being said..I have always enjoyed the food there.....We've done Dinner as of late...and I LOVE Their Prime Rib...

I think where folks have a prob with it is the cost... yes - it does cost more...but I agree with PP... it is as much about the experience....

YOU ARE EATING IN THE CASTLE ! That's the most recognizable landmark throughout WDW....

I recently asked DS18 (who has been to WDW 10 times growing up) what he thinks about CRT... and he replied that it has been one of his FAVORITE things... (he mentioned how they stay in character ...calling him "prince")

So - I know it is a memorable experience for your child... and I would recommend everyone do it at least ONCE....

Have a magical visit !

Mary

I feel your pain. We are booked for dinner there. I honestly don't want to do it. I would rather spend 2TS on Signature dining or have another meal available.

That said with two girls, ages 4 &8 on their 1st trip to WDW, how could I not. I debated cancelling and even booked something else for the day in preparation for the cancellation, but I could not bring myself to cancel the res.

I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us!!

I didn't read thru the whole thread but...
what we like to do is got to CRT for the latest breakfast possible. I have not tried their lunch or dinner food, but breakfast is really good, and that way it is at lunch time. My DD10 still asks for this for her 1 meal selection per trip, although she really likes Akershus too. My DH will not go there again b/c he got food poisoning from the sausage the last time. It was just a fluke, but he still says no way to Akershus!
Just a thought.:goodvibes

Hhmmpph ..... thanks for the input. Boy, I'm still conflicted. It's sort of like those threads about Chef Mickey's ..... i.e. the food is horrible, we had a awful time there ........ so should we book CM for Thanksgiving Dinner? Aarrgghh .....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter