Crowds and seats

A Mickeyfan

DIS Veteran
Just a vent on large empty strollers taking up the entire flooring on the monorail. Please don't take this the wrong way, but maybe some aren't aware of the space these take up. I understand you need them, been there done that with 3 children. All I am asking is that you at least keep your children sitting in them. When space is tight, seats are needed in the monorail, space is needed to stand. An empty stoller is taking up space and so is your child in a seat or standing. Please think of other guests as well. I witnessed a large double stoller, empty. A polite woman and her son gave up their seats so the mom and one of the children could sit. Seriously, the child could have remained in that stroller, she was about 6. Another ride I witnessed an empty double and an empty single, again no seats but yet the children are jumping up and down from seat to pole without much room to move!!!? Not toddlers either. We are all guests and should be a little bit more aware of our surroundings. Please don't leave your manners at the parking lot :(

We didn’t use the monorail last trip, but I can see my son being a little apprehensive about it. He was absolutely petrified of elevators the first few times we used them. If we got on and he was clearly scared and upset, I’m going to pick up my child and not leave him sitting there to cry alone. I would put him on my lap so he’s not taking an additional seat. I’m thinking most people would prefer the empty stroller to a screaming kid.

Parents know their kids best...it’s possible the parent is trying to save themselves and the rest of the people in the car from a crying kid.

Just offering another perspective.

A crying child is one thing. Kids jumping and playing in a crowded monorail is another. I don’t think that anyone would fault a parent for comforting an upset child.

We rode the monorail once this past trip. Our daughter rode in the stroller, while my husband and I stood. We were lucky to get on. And I was happy we didn’t have to unload and fold it. She got a talking to about keeping her feet inside it so she didn’t kick the other passengers. It was really crowded that day.

Please don't take this the wrong way, OP, but think of other guests, not just yourself. If you've "been there, done that", then you'd understand. We're in that "been there, done that" phase now too, as our kids are past stroller age. However, for years, we had a double stroller. I can't tell you how many times when they tried to sit in it, they'd get crowded and smooshed in by other guests thinking only of themselves, or who were just mad because we had the nerve to get on the monorail with our stroller. People would nearly trip on the stroller and fall into it...where the kids were trying to sit...or practically lean on the stroller, putting their rears into our kids faces...or stand 2" from our kids feet and then complain if the kids accidentally kicked them simply because they were squirming.

I get what you were trying to say, but sorry...I don't blame parents one bit for taking the kids out of the stroller on a crowded monorail. We did, and I don't feel the least bit bad about it.

I am not talking small children, or toddlers for that matter but 5 and 6 yr old children. No one is tripping over a stroller in a crowded monorail when you can barely move :( Yes, fold it up if not using it, put your child on your lap but don't take up 2 spots especially if they are not even staying in their seats. We all need to co exist on there. Yeah, I have been there done that and didn't allow my children to jump around, kept them in the stroller. I guess times are different now as my youngest is 25.
Wasn't just thinking about me, I had a,seat. Was thinking about the others that did not. Thinking about the mom and son who gave up there seats. It wasn't about me.

I have to agree with the OP. If you leave your stroller open your child should be in it. If you have a child that won't behave in it for the length of the monorail ride, then fold the stroller up. Leaving it open and having the child out is rude.

Saw this a lot during my trip a couple months ago too. Full monorails and clueless parents that didn't seem to understand they were taking up twice the space that they need to.

We are in the "other guests' rear ends in my kids' faces stage. LOL Since we stayed at BLT, we were on the monorail almost daily. More often than not, our kids were in the double, only to panic about the close encounters with strangers (surprising how many strangers thought it acceptable to lean on the stroller handle bar or back their behinds right into their faces, you can imagine what this mama bear does haha...), so we would have them hop out, usually at that point, it is too crowded to fold the double stroller up if we wanted to.
I will always be considerate whenever it is possible such as DH and I standing to make room for those who need to sit, putting kids on my lap, etc. However, the comfort and safety of my children comes first.

If you know your kids will panic, why not have them out of it in to begin with? Sorry, there is no excuse to take up 2 spots.

Of course your children's well being comes first. But that is not fixed by taking up 2 spots when they only need 1. It is simple enough to fix ahead of time.

Last edited:
Like I said, always willing to sit my kids on my lap when it's crowded and my husband offers his seat every single time, monorail, bus, etc. Sometimes kids panic, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they are happy and sometimes they are miserable. But we are a family of four staying for the convenience of being at a monorail resort...means we like to stroll on and stroll off. There is no reason I should only get seating for 2 bc I have a stroller. Folding it up means emptying out the bottom so it folds...which is now taking up room with me...folding it up means my husband holds on to that beast so it doesn't fall over onto someone's leg. Folding up a double is hardly taking up two spots.... I want to have my children sit on the seat with me instead of in the double stroller, to make it easier and safer. Sometimes we have to wait because we can't get the four of us and stroller on. Same goes for everyone else.

Any reason Disney just doesn't require strollers be folded on the monorail like they do on the buses?

Like I said, always willing to sit my kids on my lap when it's crowded and my husband offers his seat every single time, monorail, bus, etc. Sometimes kids panic, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they are happy and sometimes they are miserable. But we are a family of four staying for the convenience of being at a monorail resort...means we like to stroll on and stroll off. There is no reason I should only get seating for 2 bc I have a stroller. Folding it up means emptying out the bottom so it folds...which is now taking up room with me...folding it up means my husband holds on to that beast so it doesn't fall over onto someone's leg. Folding up a double is hardly taking up two spots.... I want to have my children sit on the seat with me instead of in the double stroller, to make it easier and safer. Sometimes we have to wait because we can't get the four of us and stroller on. Same goes for everyone else.

Actually I do think if you decide to leave your stroller open and still take your kids out, you are being a bit of a space hog. If you are folding it up, then that is more than fine.

To the previous poster, I have seen them tell people to fold up their strollers. But only when it is out of control busy and they are trying to maximize space. Being able to wheel your stroller on is a huge perk for parents. You are not really able to wheel the strollers onto the buses.

Please don't take this the wrong way, OP, but think of other guests, not just yourself. If you've "been there, done that", then you'd understand. We're in that "been there, done that" phase now too, as our kids are past stroller age. However, for years, we had a double stroller. I can't tell you how many times when they tried to sit in it, they'd get crowded and smooshed in by other guests thinking only of themselves, or who were just mad because we had the nerve to get on the monorail with our stroller. People would nearly trip on the stroller and fall into it...where the kids were trying to sit...or practically lean on the stroller, putting their rears into our kids faces...or stand 2" from our kids feet and then complain if the kids accidentally kicked them simply because they were squirming.

I get what you were trying to say, but sorry...I don't blame parents one bit for taking the kids out of the stroller on a crowded monorail. We did, and I don't feel the least bit bad about it.
Respectfully at least attempt to fold the stroller up. I don't think there would be much of an issue with an empty stroller if it didn't take up much space. Folding it at least reduces the amount of space it takes up. No one really would say "don't think of the well-being of your child". If the well-being of your child means you hold them or have them sit on your lap--fine no problem. But since you don't need the space the stroller takes up try to fold it up so others can utlize that space.

It's not a big deal when not many people need on the monorail but if there's a large crowd space is at a premium. As far as people getting upset because you had the nerve to get on the monorail with your stroller those are just rude people. Most people just want mutual thoughtfullness.

I hate folding our stroller, but if it’s crowded, it’s considerate to try to make room for everyone. I couldn’t imagine leaving it open if there are other people tripping over it trying to fit.

I take the monorail to avoid having to fold up the stroller, whether the kid is in it or not. When I need to take a bus, I'm prepared (ahead of time) with all my stroller things in a bag so the stroller can be readily folded. I specifically stay at an Epcot resort to minimize stroller folding and carrying, even walking through Epcot to to just use the monorail to or from MK. I don't enjoy carrying my stroller and kid and the bag with all the stroller stuff, while keeping an eye on the non-stroller kid. If the monorail is packed, it is even more important that the stroller is ready to roll out at my stop, instead of me having to carry everything out - then everyone will complain that it takes too long for people with folded strollers to get out of the way. I have waited for the next bus when the one in front of me didn't have a seat left at the end of many long days, and I've moved aside and waited for the next monorail train so I could easily roll on without causing people to make room for my stroller. I try to be as considerate as possible, but I'm not folding my stroller on the monorail.

Any reason Disney just doesn't require strollers be folded on the monorail like they do on the buses?
They do sometimes. A few years ago, we were staying at the Contemporary and just about every time we boarded the monorail, the CMs asked guests waiting to board to fold up their strollers because the monorail was rather crowded.

When we stayed at BLT, whenever we boarded the monorail at the Contemporary the CMs asked guests to remove their children from stroller and fold them up since the monorail was pretty full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!