Crowds and Disney Premier Access

Lumiere75

Earning My Ears
Bonjour everyone!

First of all, this is my first post ever on DisBoards, despite the fact of having been a reader for years! Couple words about me, I'm a huge park enthusiast from France, and I had the pleasure to spend 5 years of my life working for the mouse, between Disneyland Paris, Walt Disney World and Disney Cruise Line.

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Hong Kong and Japan in May. There are no words to describe how excited we are about this upcoming vacation, during which we'll be visiting Hong Kong Disneyland, Universal Studios Japan, Fuji-Q Highland and, last but not least, Tokyo Disney Resort!

Even though we've been able to gather a lot of valuable information to plan our three weeks there, we still have some questions, and the crowds at TDR are one of them. I downloaded the app to keep an eye on the wait times, and boy was I shocked when I realized than 100+ minute wait times were almost a daily thing. I'm used to WDW, DLR or even DLP being busy, but it doesn't even compare to what I've been seeing for TDR, which got me a little bit worried!

To avoid the crowds, we decided to visit Japan after the Golden Week. Additionally, we chose to visit the parks on weekdays, with DisneySea on Wednesday 5/24 and Monday 5/29, and Disneyland on Thursday 5/25. Based on your experience, do you know what to expect on those days in terms of crowds and wait times?

Moreover, as we wanna make the most of our days in the parks, we'll definitely consider the use of Disney Premier Access if needed. It sure is a bit pricey, especially cause I'm still used to the complimentary FP system, but it's a once-in-a-lifetime kinda trip! I read that the price ranges between 1500 and 2000 yens and it's only available on select rides, but I've seen nothing on how quickly they sell out (if they do sell out). Would somebody who's been to the parks recently be able to tell me if the DPA are easily accessible throughout the day, even on busier days, or is it something we should not count on if we want to to skip all the lines?

I'm gonna stop here, hoping you'll understand my poor English! Thank you so much in advance for your help, and I'm sure I'll come up with tons of new questions in the next few weeks!

Last edited:
Beauty and The Beast PA runs out quickly when I was there (first week of January which was still considered a holiday week). We arrived at 10 am and we got the 16:00 time slot. Splash Mountain PA was available throughout the day.

Can't say what the DisneySea PAs are like because we didn't go there that time.

I was at both parks a few weeks ago over two weekdays. For reference, the crowd calendar at queue-times said it was 52% on the Disneyland day and 77% on the DisneySea day. At Disneyland we only bought premier access for BatB as the queue time was over 100 mins every time I checked. I didn't buy the premier access until the afternoon and the entry time was for about 20 minutes after buying it. Was also able to ride Space Mountain, Baymax, Buzz Lightyear, BTM, Haunted Mansion, Monster's Inc, Tiki Room, Star Tours, Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

For DisneySea had to buy premier access for Journey to the centre of the earth (100+ mins queue), Tower of terror (80+ mins queue), Toy Story mania (100+ mins queue) and Soaring (120+ mins queue). I purchased the Soaring premier access in the afternoon around 2pm so it doesn't always sell out that fast but it did sell out eventually. Purchased the premier access in order of ToT, JttCotE, Soaring, TSM, but order of riding was JttCotE, ToT, TSM, Soaring.

We were there at park open (got through the gates for DisneySea about 9:10am but arrived about 1 hour before that and the queues were already very long). For the other rides, we got on Indiana Jones first and only had about 10 min queue, then Raging spirits which had a 35 min queue. Also went on Nemo Searider, Aquatopia, Sinbad, 20000 Leagues and Flying Carpets with short waits (around 15 mins at most).

We went to Hong Kong and Japan in May of 2016, and the crowds were definitely manageable then. We were there May 6 to 22 and spent 2 days at HKDL and 4 days at TDR and were able to see and ride everything and did a few attractions multiple times. Should be a great time to go, although it is pretty warm in HK then and we got some rain in both, including a pretty long and hard downpour in HKDL on the first day.

Thank you all for your feedbacks, very useful! Your experiences are very reassuring, DPA will definitely be an option in case of big crowds.

I also read of the official website than we could buy another DPA one hour after having purchased the first one, or as soon as our current DPA starts, whichever comes first. Based on that, as soon as we'll enter the parks on each day, I think we'll buy a DPA for BatB and Soaring first since they clearly are the most popular rides, start queing for another major ride (Splash Mountain and Center of the Earth for instance), and then we'll purchase another DPA depending on the wait times.

Also, had one of you tried the DPA for the DisneySea nighttime show Believe? In case we don't win the lottery, do you it is worth paying for a reserved spot?

Thank you all for your feedbacks, very useful! Your experiences are very reassuring, DPA will definitely be an option in case of big crowds.

I also read of the official website than we could buy another DPA one hour after having purchased the first one, or as soon as our current DPA starts, whichever comes first. Based on that, as soon as we'll enter the parks on each day, I think we'll buy a DPA for BatB and Soaring first since they clearly are the most popular rides, start queing for another major ride (Splash Mountain and Center of the Earth for instance), and then we'll purchase another DPA depending on the wait times.

Also, had one of you tried the DPA for the DisneySea nighttime show Believe? In case we don't win the lottery, do you it is worth paying for a reserved spot?

Splash Mountain is such a long walk but it is an easier rope drop than the other big rides on the Disneyland side. Center of the Earth is certainly doable as a first ride but I imagine that a first time visitor who doesn't know their way around DisneySea will likely not be able to get into that line before it is over an hour long. For the safest bet, you'd want to arrive before 7 because breakfast at some of the Bayside Station hotels starts at 6:30 and quick eaters will be in line shortly after that. This is assuming that you are not staying at a Disney hotel that gets you early entry.

I've purchased DPA for Believe and would not do it again. You'd still have to arrive early to get a spot even when purchasing DPA and the show is actually decent from all angles rather than pointed at a specific direction (more like Lion King at WDW as opposed to Fantasmic).

Splash Mountain is such a long walk but it is an easier rope drop than the other big rides on the Disneyland side. Center of the Earth is certainly doable as a first ride but I imagine that a first time visitor who doesn't know their way around DisneySea will likely not be able to get into that line before it is over an hour long. For the safest bet, you'd want to arrive before 7 because breakfast at some of the Bayside Station hotels starts at 6:30 and quick eaters will be in line shortly after that. This is assuming that you are not staying at a Disney hotel that gets you early entry.

Here is the good news, my gf used to work at TDR, she knows the parks like the back of her hand, finding our way around shouldn't be an issue!

We actually booked a Disney hotel, we're gonna stay one night at the new Toy Story Hotel. From my understanding though, early entry doesn't work on the day of check-in, and DisneySea seems to be reserved for guests staying at Mira Costa and Ambassador hotels. That's why we'll go to DisneySea on the first day, and Disneyland on the second day, 15 minutes before regular visitors. By the way, during this time, are rides already open, or this is just a way to get in line before everyone else?

I've purchased DPA for Believe and would not do it again. You'd still have to arrive early to get a spot even when purchasing DPA and the show is actually decent from all angles rather than pointed at a specific direction (more like Lion King at WDW as opposed to Fantasmic).

Once again, very good to know! Even though you said the view was decent from all angles, do you have any recommendation on where we should see the show from? We'll have two opportunities to watch it, as we'll return to DisneySea a second time at the end of our trip.

Also, today I found out about the refurbishment schedule, and it seems like those rides will be closed during our visit:
  • Space Mountain
  • Dumbo
  • Mark Twain
  • Buzz Lightyear
  • Raging Spirits

Luckily, I wasn't particularly interested in this rides, as I've already been on their American and French counterparts. Although I was a bit curious about Raging Spirits, which seems to be even more themed that the Indy ride in Paris.

Can I tag in because I had this literal EXACT same question? My other question is I understand we can't use Happy Entry on check in day but we are hoping to stay at MiraCosta if we can score it (I have the time and date marked on my calendar when our dates open up 3 months out). So can we still use the hotel entrance on checkin day then and would this avoid that 1 hour wait to get thru security. We'll be coming from The Peninsula (ABD tour first) and I've booked a van to drive us direct at 7am. I was hoping to arrive around 730am and check in and be in line for the park by 8 am. I can move this up of course as it sounds like I should. However, I'm hoping if we can use the hotel entrance it won't be so crowded even if we can't get in 15 minutes early. This policy which I don't like is seriously making me also consider booking another pre-night at MiraCosta and having two hotels booked that night so we can get the happy entry and don't have to worry about morning traffic. We could leave the Peninsula after the final dinner but as expensive/nice as that hotel is, I feel like I'm throwing my money away if I do that for 15 minutes of entry and some more time to sleep in the AM LOL

Another gripe is I used Safari browser which has an amazing translate tool that even translates images to walk thru Tokyo Disney's "package" in Japanese. This package comes with guaranteed seating to the shows like Big Band Beat and Mickey's Magical Musical World so you don't have to do Entry Request and maybe not got it (sounds like your odds are slim) and it comes with ride passes for rides not included in Premier Access like Pooh's Honey Hunt and Monsters, Inc Ride & Go Seek. When you get to the final page to pay it insists you live in Japan to purchase it, which makes me feel as a foreigner I'm a second class citizen and my money is not as equally worthy! Okay gripe over!!! LOL

Here is the good news, my gf used to work at TDR, she knows the parks like the back of her hand, finding our way around shouldn't be an issue!

We actually booked a Disney hotel, we're gonna stay one night at the new Toy Story Hotel. From my understanding though, early entry doesn't work on the day of check-in, and DisneySea seems to be reserved for guests staying at Mira Costa and Ambassador hotels. That's why we'll go to DisneySea on the first day, and Disneyland on the second day, 15 minutes before regular visitors. By the way, during this time, are rides already open, or this is just a way to get in line before everyone else?

Once again, very good to know! Even though you said the view was decent from all angles, do you have any recommendation on where we should see the show from? We'll have two opportunities to watch it, as we'll return to DisneySea a second time at the end of our trip.

Also, today I found out about the refurbishment schedule, and it seems like those rides will be closed during our visit:
  • Space Mountain
  • Dumbo
  • Mark Twain
  • Buzz Lightyear
  • Raging Spirits

Luckily, I wasn't particularly interested in this rides, as I've already been on their American and French counterparts. Although I was a bit curious about Raging Spirits, which seems to be even more themed that the Indy ride in Paris.

Some rides are open 15 minutes early. For Disneyland, my friends try to get there before 6 to get on Beauty and the Beast once in that time and then line up for something else. I think for Disneyland, Monsters Inc, Baymax and Astro Blasters are the other attractions. If your girlfriend used to work at TDR, she'll probably enjoy the wait for Baymax so I'd probably go after Pooh's Hunny Hunt or Space Mountain as a second ride if you're able to make it in line by then.

I've only seen Believe once so I can't really say what spots are good. If I lost the lottery, I'd personally try for the bridge area from that left "stage" area to Mt. Prometheus so that you can see both the volcano and the walls of Miracosta.

I’m here now and it’s busy. Busy, but manageable. We payed for Premier Access because we’re only here two days.

I think it’s worth it, especially when you consider how much money we spent to get to Japan.

Also, just a FYI, but the parks don’t have free Wi-Fi. So you either need to buy a SIM card or you need to make sure your carrier offers you international data. I pay too much for my phone service, but it comes with international data.

Thank you again everyone for your replies! I can't believe we're almost less than two months away from our trip, our excitement just keep getting bigger and bigger!

Another gripe is I used Safari browser which has an amazing translate tool that even translates images to walk thru Tokyo Disney's "package" in Japanese. This package comes with guaranteed seating to the shows like Big Band Beat and Mickey's Magical Musical World so you don't have to do Entry Request and maybe not got it (sounds like your odds are slim) and it comes with ride passes for rides not included in Premier Access like Pooh's Honey Hunt and Monsters, Inc Ride & Go Seek. When you get to the final page to pay it insists you live in Japan to purchase it, which makes me feel as a foreigner I'm a second class citizen and my money is not as equally worthy! Okay gripe over!!! LOL

We did see those packages too, as my gf was browsing the website in Japanese! However we did the math and decided not to book one and make a room-only reservation instead, as we found the different packages to be very expensive for what was included. Of course the guaranteed access to some rides is tempting, but for us it didn't justify the price, buying individual DPA will be significantly cheaper.

However, I literally just checked the reservation website in English, and it seems like some packages will be available for everyone, including foreign guests, starting Tuesday 3/14! I'll definitely take a look again next week and see if it's worth it to upgrade our booking to a vacation package.

Also, just a FYI, but the parks don’t have free Wi-Fi. So you either need to buy a SIM card or you need to make sure your carrier offers you international data. I pay too much for my phone service, but it comes with international data.

Thank you for the FYI! As we're gonna spend two weeks in Japan, we are definitely going to get local SIM cards for our phones. Holafly offers a plan with unlimited data during 15 days for $50, using the Docomo network. It seems like a good deal, has anyone ever tried this website? I've never used an eSIM before, but it looks super easy to use.

Hello, we just returned from our Japan trip. TDR was very busy but it was spring break and waits for BatB, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Toy Story and Soarin’ were almost always over 120 minutes with some over 180!!! Premier access will help you get on those rides.

For the 15 min early entry, be there early because lines build for that as well. We stayed at Toy Story Hotel and the Mira Costa (Toy Story was the definite favourite) and Mira Costa will get you in to Disney Sea early but Toy Story only works for Disneyland.

We are Disney Park enthusiasts having been over 20 times to the US parks but I have never seen crowds like this. The parks do serve a local population of over 37 million though so it’s to be expected. The people there were all polite, the parks are neat and orderly and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Note that the monorail is not free as it is in the US parks.

Hello, we just returned from our Japan trip. TDR was very busy but it was spring break and waits for BatB, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Toy Story and Soarin’ were almost always over 120 minutes with some over 180!!! Premier access will help you get on those rides.

For the 15 min early entry, be there early because lines build for that as well. We stayed at Toy Story Hotel and the Mira Costa (Toy Story was the definite favourite) and Mira Costa will get you in to Disney Sea early but Toy Story only works for Disneyland.

We are Disney Park enthusiasts having been over 20 times to the US parks but I have never seen crowds like this. The parks do serve a local population of over 37 million though so it’s to be expected. The people there were all polite, the parks are neat and orderly and we really enjoyed ourselves.

These are actually low waits for Spring Break compared to pre-pandemic. In previous years, I've seen multiple rides in DisneySea go to near 300 min waits on busy days. During Golden Week, they cut the lines at 240 minutes so theoretically, those lines could be even longer. But the longest lines are usually for Mickey and Donald on their respective birthdays going over 8 hours in some years.

These are actually low waits for Spring Break compared to pre-pandemic. In previous years, I've seen multiple rides in DisneySea go to near 300 min waits on busy days. During Golden Week, they cut the lines at 240 minutes so theoretically, those lines could be even longer. But the longest lines are usually for Mickey and Donald on their respective birthdays going over 8 hours in some years.
i Can’t imagine waiting that long for any ride but lots of people do. 8 hours is crazy!

Do you happen to know the dates of spring break this year? I haven’t been able to find definitive info online.

We didn’t ask until we were in Shikoku but there, kids were off from around March 25 to April 11. When we were at Disney from March 5-9., it was extremely busy but nothing like our last day there on March 22nd. In between, I’m sure it would be crazy so I would say to expect crowds most of March into mid April when the kids start a new school year.

There is a holiday on spring equinox as well so it fell on a Tuesday. I’m sure many people took the Monday.

Avoid weekends if at all possible. We had no problem doing everything we wanted to do but we did have to use Disney Premier Access to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter